As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bye-bye, Black Box

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the bigger issue here is that there are still many parts of the US that are stuck on dial-up. Cable internet hasn't reached everywhere yet, and satellite seems to have practically died. DSL and FiOS are even worse than cable when it comes to transmission distances.

Fortunately, I just checked Valve's site, and it is on DVDs. It's not just a card with your activation code.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »
    I can't believe that people honestly thing the M rating prevents kids from playing this stuff. I mean...really? Really? What, did your parents prevent you from watching R movies until you were 17?

I didn't really say that it did, only that it's not a problem if kids have age-related (lack of a debit/credit card) obstacles in the way. M for Mature should keep kids from obtaining content with that rating without their parent's permission. I honestly don't know why it doesn't, actually. I get carded for everything, and I'm almost 22.
    I guess my main point is that it's far easier for an credit card-less person to get their parent/older friend to get a game at Best Buy than to get them to hand out their credit card number online. I think the lack of a Black Box in stores really will prevent a lot of people from playing it, a separate argument from whether or not they should be.

Fair enough. Sadly, the largest hurdle to digital distribution is probably the generation or two before us that views computers as either 1) toys or 2) the harbinger of Skynet.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want the OPTION of having a physical copy of the game. I barely trust Steam as it is; if they lose my account, I have nothing to prove I even purchased the expansion in the first place.

Um, if your account, credit card, whatever email account you used, and their bazillion data redundancy centers all disappeared at once, then yea it could happen.

My point of having a physical copy still stands. I like collecting games, and having their boxes displayed where my PC is. Collectors like doing two things:

1. Buying games.
    2. Showing said games off to other people.

There's no satisfaction for a collector if you buy the game but have no way to display it for other people to see.

So buy the Orange Box

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't believe that people honestly thing the M rating prevents kids from playing this stuff. I mean...really? Really? What, did your parents prevent you from watching R movies until you were 17?

I didn't really say that it did, only that it's not a problem if kids have age-related (lack of a debit/credit card) obstacles in the way. M for Mature should keep kids from obtaining content with that rating without their parent's permission. I honestly don't know why it doesn't, actually. I get carded for everything, and I'm almost 22.
    I guess my main point is that it's far easier for an credit card-less person to get their parent/older friend to get a game at Best Buy than to get them to hand out their credit card number online. I think the lack of a Black Box in stores really will prevent a lot of people from playing it, a separate argument from whether or not they should be.

I don't think that's the case. Buying stuff online is extremely common these days, I don't think many people have a problem with it.

captaink on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    I have nothing to prove I even purchased the expansion in the first place.
    Credit card statements.

And the email with all the relevant info they send you with every purchase.
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Once again: 90 minutes for a third of it, roughly.

I just deleted Episode 1 and redownloaded it for shits and giggles. 1 megabyte/second.

What I'm trying to say here is that if my broadband connection were my penis, I'd point and laugh at you in the showers.

And I'm on a shitty wireless connection, going at 223.1 kb/s.
    Glad you have a better connection though.

Me Too! on
    edited July 2007
    My point of having a physical copy still stands. I like collecting games, and having their boxes displayed where my PC is. Collectors like doing two things:

1. Buying games.

There's no satisfaction for a collector if you buy the game but have no way to display it for other people to see.
    steam.png
    *shrugs* I don't know, I get a certain satisfaction every time I see that.

Dusda on
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I want the OPTION of having a physical copy of the game. I barely trust Steam as it is; if they lose my account, I have nothing to prove I even purchased the expansion in the first place.

Um, if your account, credit card, whatever email account you used, and their bazillion data redundancy centers all disappeared at once, then yea it could happen.

1. Buying games.

So buy the Orange Box

I have everything else. I bought everything else when it first came out. Buying extra copies of HL2 and HL2: E1 so I could have a physical copy of HL2:E2 is a waste of money. Sixty dollars for a third of a game and Team Fortress 2 doesn't justify having a physical copy.

If Valve wants all their games to be available exclusively online, that's fine. I'll buy it that way.

If they want to distribute them physically, then do so. But my point is that they shouldn't exclude certain games if they're distributing in both ways. To do so alienates people who, like me, are looking to walk into a store and buy a physical copy of the game rather than waiting for it to download from their server the day it comes out.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

1. Buying games.

So buy the Orange Box

I have everything else. I bought everything else when it first came out. Buying extra copies of HL2 and HL2: E1 so I could have a physical copy of HL2:E2 is a waste of money. Sixty dollars for a third of a game and Team Fortress 2 doesn't justify having a physical copy.

If Valve wants all their games to be available exclusively online, that's fine. I'll buy it that way.

If they want to distribute them physically, then do so. But my point is that they shouldn't exclude certain games if they're distributing in both ways. To do so alienates people who, like me, are looking to walk into a store and buy a physical copy of the game rather than waiting for it to download from their server the day it comes out.

You don't wait for it to download. It's already downloaded and you just play it at midnight. And if you won't spend like $20 for the physical copy then I guess you're not that avid a collector.

Zek on
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »

1. Buying games.

So buy the Orange Box

You don't wait for it to download. It's already downloaded and you just play it at midnight. And if you won't spend like $20 for the physical copy then I guess you're not that avid a collector.

I'd gladly spend $20 for a physical copy. I don't know where you got that from.

I'm saying I don't want to buy the Orange Box because it has 3/4 of what I own already, it's a waste of money.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Fair enough. Sadly, the largest hurdle to digital distribution is probably the fact that high speed internet is not ubiquitous yet.

Fixed.

shryke on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It is too bad they do not have special editions for Picky Peters.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited July 2007

1. Buying games.

So buy the Orange Box

I'm saying I don't want to buy the Orange Box because it has 3/4 of what I own already, it's a waste of money.
    I think his point was if you dont want to spend 20 dollars above the normal price for that physical copy, then you aren't much of a collector.

And don't forget it has HL:E2, TF2, and Portal in there as well. So thats 3 things you dont have a 2 things you do.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    Fair enough. Sadly, the largest hurdle to digital distribution is probably the fact that high speed internet is not ubiquitous yet.
    Fixed.
    It doesn't have to be ubiquitous. Among PC gamers, it's pretty well saturated.

Dusda on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

1. Buying games.

So buy the Orange Box

Then buy it online. What's the problem?

Zek on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Edit: Damn. Beat'd

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish there was a more neutral third party for digital distribution. As more companies do it, they end up with their own models, and though some people do use other people's distributions (Deus Ex on Steam), I feel that I would like it all tied some way that doesn't force me to go to company A to play their games and then go to company B to play their's, but rather go to the same system to play either.

But that's just pipe dreaming.

piL on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    piL wrote: »
    I wish there was a more neutral third party for digital distribution. As more companies do it, they end up with their own models, and though some people do use other people's distributions (Deus Ex on Steam), I feel that I would like it all tied some way that doesn't force me to go to company A to play their games and then go to company B to play their's, but rather go to the same system to play either.

Then you'd have digital distribution "retailers" and developers would lose a lot of the advantage.

captaink on
    edited July 2007
    That's pretty much Steam.

THQ, 2K, Activision, Eidos have all signed up with Steam more or less.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2007
    captaink wrote: »

Then you'd have digital distribution "retailers" and developers would lose a lot of the advantage.

I know, which is why I'm said :( I just hate the idea of having a valve closet where I keep my valve games, an EA closet where my EA games are kept, etc. I hope a viable solution appears.

Also, this developer advantage isn't being passed on to me, so I do not care terribly much for them, and so maybe a retailer wouldn't be so bad. I do not save shipping/printing/packaging costs for buying online instead of in a store.

piL on
    edited July 2007
    Like I just said. Steam offers way more than just Valve games now.
    steam.jpg

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2007
    I mentioned that, I was just complaining about a problem I would like to see fixed (Annoying multiple proprietary systems), not something that prevents me from using the service.

piL on
    edited July 2007

I know, which is why I'm said :( I just hate the idea of having a valve closet where I keep my valve games, an EA closet where my EA games are kept, etc. I hope a viable solution appears.

Also, this developer advantage isn't being passed on to me, so I do not care terribly much for them, and so maybe a retailer wouldn't be so bad. I do not save shipping/printing/packaging costs for buying online instead of in a store.

Which is another part of the reason I buy it in the store anyway. If I'm going to pay the same price, I want a box and CD/DVDs.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited July 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Which is another part of the reason I buy it in the store anyway. If I'm going to pay the same price, I want a box and CD/DVDs.

See I don't get this. The box just takes up space, and in many cases you need to have the CD/DVD in the drive whenever you want to play the game.

Steam is just so convenient for me.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Fixed.
    Right. But I would wager that for the vast majority of folks who would play Half Life 2 on their Decent PC, they have some form of high speed internet.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait....
    Wait....
    I want to get one thing clear. My HD2900XT is waiting in the post I think, so I want this to be clear.
    It still comes with the black box voucher right? I can still use that, and get ep2, TF2 and portal, right?

Burning Organ on
    edited July 2007
    Urgel wrote: »
    Wait....
    Wait....
    I want to get one thing clear. My HD2900XT is waiting in the post I think, so I want this to be clear.
    It still comes with the black box voucher right? I can still use that, and get ep2, TF2 and portal, right?
    In addition to this we have a driver CD and a certificate with a product key code for Half Life 2: The Black Box, Portal and Team Fortress 2 via Steam's download engine.

It's via Steam, so you still get it. It's just retail channels aren't getting an actual box with those items in it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited July 2007
    Urgel wrote: »
    Wait....
    Wait....

Yes

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn.... I was sort of hoping they would have added EP1 as well....
    But I guess I should be happy with that too anyway :D

Burning Organ on
    edited July 2007
    You get Day of Defeat Source as well.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

See I don't get this. The box just takes up space, and in many cases you need to have the CD/DVD in the drive whenever you want to play the game.

Steam is just so convenient for me.

Steam forces me to be reliant on their service. The more proprietary they make it, the more of a bitch it will be to use the service if Valve goes under (I can't get a fallout patch directly from Interplay any more :( ). So you have pros and cons, including the reliance that goes into the purchase. But it should be cheaper, and it isn't.

What's more, standard market practice doesn't get thrown about these products I don't believe. Virtual bargain bins where I can find a copy of a two-year old game that just didn't sell on the cheap don't exist. I like finding copies of Fallout for $6. If Steam goes under, I don't find old copies on Ebay for $10 or $100, I simply lose access to what I bought already.

At this point, digital distribution is a Frankenstein's monster between lease and purchase. I don't have to remember a password, worry about a company collapsing, remember a password, or download proprietary software to use a chair. I do to use these products, but I didn't always have to do that to use similar products. It's an abrupt and jarring change that I expect to continue to morph and change before it steadies into something as simple as "buying something--I own and have that something and can access it as long as I place it in a position of access (aka, don't lock it in a safe and then forget the combination)."

piL on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't have a machine capable of playing HL2 or pretty much anything. I'm very much excited for The Orange Box for Xbox 360. But I can see how veterans could be upset.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    is there any way to get games like Advent Rising or Deus Ex to go onto steam if you've got the CD IIRC, those two games didn't have CD keys so I can't just enter it into Steam's program to grant me access.

Is there another way around that?

EDIT: a legal way plz :)

VoodooV on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't have a machine capable of playing HL2 or pretty much anything. I'm very much excited for The Orange Box for Xbox 360. But I can see how veterans could be upset.

Jesus, how old is your machine that you can't play HL2?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    is there any way to get games like Advent Rising or Deus Ex to go onto steam if you've got the CD IIRC, those two games didn't have CD keys so I can't just enter it into Steam's program to grant me access.

Is there another way around that?

EDIT: a legal way plz :)

Not that I know of, even games with CD-Keys won't let you stick them on steam. Basically, either the Publisher or Valve would lose money over this, and neither of them particularly want to.

Rook on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Same here. Anyone have the word on cost/packaging of the 360 version? One disc? Two?

UnbreakableVow on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Steam forces me to be reliant on their service. The more proprietary they make it, the more of a bitch it will be to use the service if Valve goes under (I can't get a fallout patch directly from Interplay any more ). So you have pros and cons, including the reliance that goes into the purchase. But it should be cheaper, and it isn't.
    It isn't cheaper because retailers wouldn't like having the games cheaper on Steam. There are usually a decent number of sales. I think you could get HL2 10 percent off buy buying it before launch.

As for Steam going under, that is highly unlikely. If Valve ever looks like it might go under, there would be quite a few companies looking to buy it out. It is also much less likely to go under than than your games being stolen or lost in a disaster.

Couscous on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't have much to add to the discussion, but damn, the Orange Box is a great deal, specially for someone like me, who's never played Half Life 2. This just jumped to my top five must buy.

Kyougu on
    edited July 2007

Same here. Anyone have the word on cost/packaging of the 360 version? One disc? Two?

It's going to be 60 bucks for the 360 version, I dont know if it will be one disc or two though.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Don't have much to add to the discussion, but damn, the Orange Box is a great deal, specially for someone like me, who's never played Half Life 2. This just jumped to my top five must buy.

Seriously. Five potentially awesome games I've never had the chance to experience. I've really gotta dig out my PS2 copy of Half-Life and run through it again.

UnbreakableVow on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know Prey let you do it. As I bought it just before they announced it for steam. but they allowed you to submit your CD key and viola...Prey was on Steam

So, I'm just foolishly hoping they'd let us do that with other games.

VoodooV on