As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask an Enforcer! (PAX Volunteer)

• Options
    KnightCarverKnightCarver Bioshock Fanatic RaptureRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Hi all, I had a couple of questions as I'm really interested as well.

If you are lucky enough to be picked as an Enforcer, would you be required for a whole week of setup? i.e. Would I need a whole week off work? whypick1 mentioned a 6 hour shift over fri-sun, but I was reading somewhere that in the US, you are needed for a full week. (I think whypick1 clarified this with the minimum amount of days statement being fri-sun just a few posts up)

Also, I already purchased a 3day pass, so on the off chance that you are an enforcer with a ticket already, can you get it refunded?

Finally, for everyone stressing about age, remember those stats about the ages of aussie gamers being in the mid-30s on average. Most of us will have grown up with Ataris, Segas and Nintendos so all is good. ;)

KnightCarver on
    Angels don't wait for slowpokes, Mr. B!
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Hi all, I had a couple of questions as I'm really interested as well.

If you are lucky enough to be picked as an Enforcer, would you be required for a whole week of setup? i.e. Would I need a whole week off work? whypick1 mentioned a 6 hour shift over fri-sun, but I was reading somewhere that in the US, you are needed for a full week. (I think whypick1 clarified this with the minimum amount of days statement being fri-sun just a few posts up)

Also, I already purchased a 3day pass, so on the off chance that you are an enforcer with a ticket already, can you get it refunded?

Finally, for everyone stressing about age, remember those stats about the ages of aussie gamers being in the mid-30s on average. Most of us will have grown up with Ataris, Segas and Nintendos so all is good. ;)

Set up and tear down are completely optional (Except for a couple special positions) . The only requirement is 3 6 hours shifts.

and yes, you can get your 3day pass refunded if you are chosen to be an Enforcer.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    It's okay, I'm 20 and creepy :D

• Options
    KnightCarverKnightCarver Bioshock Fanatic RaptureRegistered User regular
    Thanks SmallLady - appreciate the reply on that. I'm really keen to find out more about being an enforcer - to be honest it sounds awesome simply because you're with like-minded people who appreciate and love gaming. Feel the love peeps!

Angels don't wait for slowpokes, Mr. B!
  • Options
    DeadlyButtersDeadlyButters Registered User new member
    The moment I heard that PAX would be coming to Australia I was super stoked. Even better when they announced it would be hosted in Melbourne (I only live an hour away :D ). And after reading through this thread im really interested in the idea of becoming an enforcer. After the last gaming convention hosted in Melbourne was back in 2009, we really need this kind of event for gamers to enjoy. By being an enforcer it sounds like I could support a much needed event as well as meeting like minded people and having fun at the same time. Will be watching closely for enforcer sign ups!!!!

• Options
    CamaranCamaran Catamaran MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    About a month they said.

EDIT: From PAXAustralia Facebook

"Enforcer registration will open in January. If you buy a PAX Australia pass and get approved as an Enforcer next year, we'll refund your dollars."

Camaran on
  • Options
    FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I will be signing on for Enforcer. I'm a forum lurker though don't post here, hope that doesn't mark against me. Im really keen to be a part of this, I was an AUSGamers admin and helped run local lans, So im keen to put that experience to the good of the community in PAX.

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    FatSoDa wrote: »
    I will be signing on for Enforcer. I'm a forum lurker though don't post here, hope that doesn't mark against me. Im really keen to be a part of this, I was an AUSGamers admin and helped run local lans, So im keen to put that experience to the good of the community in PAX.

You sound like a perfect candidate for BYOC/PC Freeplay. Being a lurker doesn't exclude you from being able to join the community at all, not everyone is an active poster. We have some Enforcers who only post in 3 threads a year, turn up, do their 3x 6 hour shifts and head home feeling satisfied of a job well done. Enforcing is what you make of it really and what you choose to do. If you want to be a lurker and get the job done, sure. If you want to go gung ho and help out with extra shifts and hang out at every party, awesome. We're a very big group of very different people. There is always a fit. Just obey Wheatons Law.

• Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Sooo, question (about the only one I can't answer myself due to the differences in conventions). Does PAX allow the Enforcers to volunteer in costume? (Provided that there is indeed some way to make it obvious that they are indeed an enforcer)

• Options
    UUUinfinityUUUinfinity Registered User new member
    Thanks so much for the insights about enforcing! Previously I was on the fence about it as it is my first convention ever and I feared about missing out on things but now I'd like to apply when applications are open! (:
    Looking forward in meeting you and making some friends (:

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2012
    Danacyrus wrote: »
    Sooo, question (about the only one I can't answer myself due to the differences in conventions). Does PAX allow the Enforcers to volunteer in costume? (Provided that there is indeed some way to make it obvious that they are indeed an enforcer)

Yes, so long as the "ENFORCER" on the back of the shirt is still clearly visible, and I think some amount of the rest of the shirt still has to be visible since that's how people will identify you (mostly by color of shirt).
    disclaimer: I am not an enforcer.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Hmmmm Have some thinking to do.... Coming from a cosplay backgrounds and all :P Surely I can somehow make like a Vayne Cosplay and do some awesome Line Management with a custom blue Enforcers Cloak :P Right?? RIGHT??!!!!! Thought I might have ssen something about needing the front and back text to be visible.

Dunno, I'll have a think about it and then bring it up again after the application stage :D
    Try and figure out what I can and can't do XD

Danacyrus on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    zerzhul's basically got it. The front and back of your shirt have to remain visible and the costume can't interfere with your Enforcing duties, you should be fine. There's a dude at East who wears a full plate of armor, he just got a really big shirt to go over it.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Also, the shirts will most likely be a different color. I'm thinking gold or yellow based on the color of the PAXAus logo. COULD BE WRONG! =)

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Danacyrus wrote: »
    Hmmmm Have some thinking to do.... Coming from a cosplay backgrounds and all :P Surely I can somehow make like a Vayne Cosplay and do some awesome Line Management with a custom blue Enforcers Cloak :P Right?? RIGHT??!!!!! Thought I might have ssen something about needing the front and back text to be visible.
    Something else to keep in mind is that past policy has been we get 1 and only 1 shirt. So make sure the mod is something you plan out carefully, are sure you want to wear all 3 days for your shift, and are ok with after the event.

Many many enforcers do light mods to the shirts (cutting sleeves and adding bits) and wear hats, pants, shoes, etc for a minimalist cosplay look that works well for enforcing. Some go more full on. If you have questions about a particular mod you can ask the boss once you're accepted.

Also agree with Vapok that the color will almost assuredly not be blue (blue is prime, red is east). Green or Gold seem likely.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'll have a think about options that could still work, might come down to just simplifying it and then wearing the rest outside of the volunteer hours, already got one for helping distribute with the cookie brigade (But I wouldn't wear that costume while enforcing, it'd be a pain in the assssss).

But yeah like I said, I'll wait for after enforcer applications to figure out more :)

Thanks for all the responses~

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Re: To Enforce, or to Attend:

I really do suggest attending at least once. Normally, I heartily rec attending your first year, because you get a sense of what the show's about and how to handle the place, what the general layout is, etc. PAX can be VERY overwhelming, and I think I would have burned out hard if I'd Enforced my first year. As it is, I LOOOOVE being an Enforcer (and I hope I can do East again next year... my job status is kind of iffy at the moment though :( but we'll see)

But as others have said: PAX Aus REALLY NEEDS ENFORCERS to make it actually happen! So to those who are volunteering for your first year, I SALUTE YOU! And I encourage it. You WILL still get to see the show, you WILL feel like an AWESOME THUNDERGOD OF HAPPINESS WHO MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY AND MAKES CONVENTIONS AWESOME, and you will get to be part of an amazing community of wonderful people without whom I do not know how I would liiiiiiiive. I mean yes, you will miss 6 hrs of the show per day, but in a lot of cases there's going to be parts of the show you don't care about. I Enforced mornings because there's honestly not many panels I care to do in the mornings, and my REAL deal at PAX is generally DEM CONCERTS, which I would not miss for the universe. Other people don't care about concerts, but really want to sign up for DnD in the morning, so they do the night shift.

Point being: Go Enforce. You will love it, you will still get to see PAX, you will feel awesome. And then you can always take a hiatus for your second year and see the show on the floor like a normal attendee.

Re: costumes: You HAVE to be able to see the front and back of the shirt. While there's one guy with a cape I think, he only gets it because he's been around since forever. There ARE ways to make the shirt work with a cosplay, but the main key is: front and back, AND YOU ONLY GET ONE SHIRT. ONE.

My good bro Meatshield is the guy who wears full plate; the way he does his outfit every year is that he gets the largest size shirt (he is also an extremely big Viking dude in general), then cuts it into a tabard which he wears over his plate mail. If your costume is armor of any kind, you can do that! Or cosplay someone who wears a red shirt anyway, I don't know. But that said, the shirt won't work with a lot of cosplay... which just means that you put your cosplay on AFTER your shift. I wore a Protomen-style Megaman last year when I was off shift, and I had PLENTY of time to look awesome and wow people! One of my PAX roommates and also an Enforcer wore a fantastic Kelly Chambers and then later a Commander Shepard of Mass Effect later in the day. In her case, she had the night shift so she had all day to show off her cosplay before donning her Enforcer shirt.

Since PAX Aus' color is yellow, your shirts will be yellow (notice how Prime's official logo is blue, and the shirts are blue, and East is red, so the shirts are red). So yeah, if you REALLY REALLY want to wear cosplay as an [E], keep that in mind -- yellow shirt, gotta have the front and back plainly visible.

Other notes: Silly hats are encouraged, but as far as I am aware your face has to be clearly visible. So in my case, I can wear my awesome Western hat on the floor, and one of the Line Management managers wears this amazing musketeer hat with a giant feather. I can't wear my Megaman helmet though as it renders me effectively deaf and blind and obscures my face. Goofy hats are super useful too though, as they make you easily identifiable across the floor by other [E].

Some other notes:

DO NOT BLACKSHIFT IF IT IS YOUR FIRST YEAR. DON'T DO IT. Blackshifting is a term for crazy people who for some reason work all three shifts, every day (who are not managers, who have to do that sort of thing because they are managers). Don't do it. You will be sad, and also probably make yourself sick.

SPEAKING OF SICKNESS, learn from my mistakes! This is also just general PAX advice. At the VERY LEAST, bring a bottle of water with you onto the floor. Last year, on my first day I almost passed out because I forgot my water bottle and didn't realize that I had gotten super dehydrated when my shift was up. Also bring with you a small snack to keep your blood sugar from crashing. These small things are seriously lifesavers. In my case, I bought one of the ThinkGeek tactical gadget holsters, which I used to keep my cell phone and a small bag of snacks and later my water bottle with me at all times. It's really convenient, and later in the day you can use it to carry around your wallet, too.

I can't go into details but I can say at least that there ARE Enforcer well-being services available, including snacks, water, and first-aid supplies. You'll get more details once you apply, but we do take very good care of our own. When aforementioned incident happened, I was hovered over by like three or four people and fed water + rehydration tablets until I was human again. and then I learned my lesson! Whee.

General good practice: a 20-30 minute nap in the middle of the day will keep you refreshed and albe to do the long shifts. Even if you're not an Enforcer you're likely to get only about six hours of sleep a night, and I dunno about you but there's only so long I can run on adrenaline! It's amazing how much more refreshed and awesome you feel if you get that nap. As a morning shifter, I would usually get off shift, take my 20 minute nap, eat a small lunch (My convention policy is to always stock my fridge with goodies) and then get back on the floor. The nap is better than caffeine. Even better: SCIENCE!!!! says that caffeine takes a half hour to work, so drink your preferred poison before your nap, THEN get up and go. You will feel AWESOME.

ANYWAY HI NEW AUSSIE ENFORCERS WE LOVE YOU ALREADY!!! I WISH I COULD AFFORD TO COME ENFORCE WITH YOU BUT I AM POOR! ROCK OUT! MAKE THE BEST PAX EVER! YAY!

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    @Lucid_Seraph Thanks so much for this ^ ^ Great advice :-)

• Options
    Couple highlights/notes from Lucid's points:

- Regarding BigRed's Cape, he got away with it because it said [ENFORCER] on the back of it. I've seen many other creative mod's down to someone cutting out the Enforcer part on the back and applying it to whatever they were wearing and same with the logo on the front. Most typically for me, I'm generally cutting off sleeves only because I hate long sleeve shirts and that seems to be the only thing PA provides. =)

- The term "blackshift" shouldn't even be coming up. Don't work all three shifts. Ever. Get sleep, enjoy PAX, and take showers every day.

- Eat and Hydrate all day long.

Enforcing is work, but it's fun work. If you're not having fun while Enforcing, you're doing it wrong. =)

Also... Dancing.. there must be dancing.

Vapok
  • Options
    CuZZa wrote: »

You sound like a perfect candidate for BYOC/PC Freeplay. Being a lurker doesn't exclude you from being able to join the community at all, not everyone is an active poster. We have some Enforcers who only post in 3 threads a year, turn up, do their 3x 6 hour shifts and head home feeling satisfied of a job well done. Enforcing is what you make of it really and what you choose to do. If you want to be a lurker and get the job done, sure. If you want to go gung ho and help out with extra shifts and hang out at every party, awesome. We're a very big group of very different people. There is always a fit. Just obey Wheatons Law.

Thanks CuZ(see what i did there?)

I actually joined the forums years ago, I tend to lurk in forums simply because i tend not to get super passionate about issues, at least not online. I intend if selected for [E] to do setup and pickup a couple of extra shifts if they are available.

Either way its going to be super fun. I cant believe im this jazzed about something happening in July next year

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    FatSoDa wrote: »
    I intend if selected for [E] to do setup and pickup a couple of extra shifts if they are available.

Apologies if this sounds condescending/am not quite understanding what you're saying, but that's not quite how it works. Setup/Teardown isn't mandatory, but working during PAX days is, and your shift will be at the same time in the same department each day. As for extra shifts, 1) as @Vapok stated above, don't overdo it and 2) your extra working will either be "ask my manager if I'm still needed before/after my shift" or "go to Spareboard and get sent wherever I am needed".

• Options
    edited October 2012
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Apologies if this sounds condescending/am not quite understanding what you're saying, but that's not quite how it works. Setup/Teardown isn't mandatory, but working during PAX days is, and your shift will be at the same time in the same department each day. As for extra shifts, 1) as @Vapok stated above, don't overdo it and 2) your extra working will either be "ask my manager if I'm still needed before/after my shift" or "go to Spareboard and get sent wherever I am needed".

No at all. I meant that i will volunteer for setup as i know its not mandatory, I would like to work a couple of extra shifts over the course of the 3 days(i dont intend to black shift unless it becomes necessary), because i think you get a better feel for a group, event, or community if you volunteer and work to keep it running.

zerzhul on
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    peachykinspeachykins gamer, nurse, baker of delicious noms <3 Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the epic post and insight Lucid_Seraph :)

Looking forward to some epic dance parties <3

• Options
    edited October 2012
    SPEAKING OF SICKNESS, learn from my mistakes! This is also just general PAX advice. At the VERY LEAST, bring a bottle of water with you onto the floor. Last year, on my first day I almost passed out because I forgot my water bottle and didn't realize that I had gotten super dehydrated when my shift was up. Also bring with you a small snack to keep your blood sugar from crashing. These small things are seriously lifesavers. In my case, I bought one of the ThinkGeek tactical gadget holsters, which I used to keep my cell phone and a small bag of snacks and later my water bottle with me at all times. It's really convenient, and later in the day you can use it to carry around your wallet, too.

FIND THE BICKIE BANDITS!!! We will save your hunger pains! (Or maybe just wave frantically when we walk past!)

Danacyrus on
  • Options
    AmmamarieAmmamarie AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wow this was a great thread to read. My questions have all been answered and has also convinced me that Enforcing will be heaps of fun. Also by reading this out to my sister and partner in crime she is now on board too!! Thanks xxx

• Options
    Ammamarie wrote: »
    Wow this was a great thread to read. My questions have all been answered and has also convinced me that Enforcing will be heaps of fun. Also by reading this out to my sister and partner in crime she is now on board too!! Thanks xxx

WOOT! We like partners in crime. Makes doing shenanigans that much easier. =)

Vapok
  • Options
    DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    Ammamarie wrote: »

Yippee @Ammarie Looking forward to meeting you and your sister and hopefully enforcing together somewhere in the great PAXAus :-)

• Options
    @Vapok I don't know why... But I literally had to read that about.... twelve times to make sense of it.

• Options
    That's OK, most people can't understand Vapok the first-through-eleventh times either. :P

• Options
    edited November 2012
    whypick1 wrote: »
    That's OK, most people can't understand Vapok the first-through-eleventh times either. :P

I do not think I'm not totally unmisunderstable. I think not most of the time, people don't not know how not to don't understand what it is I'm not saying until they figure out that what I'm not not saying is what I really mean.

:-P

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »
    I do not think I'm not totally unmisunderstable...

I getcha.....not too totally unmisunderstable

:-)

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • Options
    My brain hurts....

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    One other item, when Enforcing (ie, in duty) and in costume, no costume weapons are allowed to be worn. (even if they would be allowed with the costume).

• Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    But if no weapons are allowed how will people fear and obey the enforcers?

• Options
    zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Wicked kung fu skills and Vulcan neck pinches.

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • Options
    FPFr0styFPFr0sty Registered User regular
    Use the force... the force... no the fork...

• Options
    Forks are probably considered weapons, so no Toriko cosplay either :(

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Awko wrote: »
    But if no weapons are allowed how will people fear and obey the enforcers?

If you heard me telling you what to do :P You'd be scared. I'm a woman. What else do you need to fear.

Danacyrus on
  • Options
    Can gender be considered a weapon? I'd like to see them take THAT away from you.

Waitaminute... no I wouldn't :/

• Options
    If gender can be considered a weapon, then I guess Spaceballs got it right..

Back on topic though, Enforcers don't need weapons. Our witty intelligence and quick thinking is all we need.

Funny anecdote: Because of my experiences with crowd management and line management working PAX, those skills sometimes carry over into "real life". Last night, I was at an awards ceremony for the web industry and sitting in a back row table. The bar stands were about 20 feet behind us, so people wanting a drink would line up. When there's 2000+ people there, the lines were pretty long and I guess they decided to queue right down through the tables making it impossible for anyone at our table to see the stage. I looked around and saw all this unused space. Verbalized, "I got this.", stood up, went to the part of the line where I wanted to bend, asked if they were in line for the bar, and then explained that I wanted to move the line so that it wasn't in the way. People listened so easily.. and I solved the problem. I sat back down, and one of the guys at our table said, "That's PAX experience right there!" =D

Vapok