As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pathfinder & Other Tabletop RPGs] 1d6 Dragons Fall, Everyone Fries

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Melding wrote: »
    i basically made a mob mook on steroids. There was things i could do outside of shooting, like i ended up being the group's face because i had four charisma and 2 points the talk with people skill group.

Word of the wise, don't make the most belligerent person in your group the face. Specially when they're playing a mob mook.

This sounds like my current mage group.

My character is also more or less a pacifist, and invested heavily into mundane social skills. Except I'm also playing an Obrimos, which is kinda the Mage path that's big on flashy displays of power and is kinda wizardly equivalent of a beatstick.

Meanwhile, another member of the group is a mob enforcer who's heavily invested into mundane combat skills. He is a Mastigos, which are portrayed as sinister mind-warping warlocks with craploads of socially-focused stuff.

So essentially because magic, the most potent combat character is a pacifist ex-reporter, and the face is an irate mob hitman.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    We played some more Pathfinder last night. I critically hit the GM's big bad for 43 damage, intended to play a recurring role, and instead flat out killed him before he could leave.

Whoops.jpg

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    It's never really surprising when the PCs accidentally kill the campaign's main villain or accidentally get TPKed in 3e/Pathfinder. Combat in 3e/PF has a tendency towards rocket tag, especially when dealing with higher-level or highly optimized characters.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea my level 10 monk has a theoretical max damage of 304, and my rogue of a max of 186 at level 10. I hit a guy for 84 damage last combat with my rogue. Gotta love sneak attack.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    it's like your dm never thought about having a relic that protects them before they die and then teleports them away. Villains dying when they were supposed to be a reoccurring person is just a victim of poor planning.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    villains killed in such a fashion should just become even deadlier ghost villains

0BnD8l3.gif
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    villains killed in such a fashion should just become even deadlier ghost villains

Looks like someone was a liche!

edited October 2012
    eh, ghosts aren't scary, i'm a bigger fan of having them keep coming back as different undead types each time being worse, but it leads into a new villain that won't die in one lucky shot.

Melding on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Just make the villain a high level wizard

oh look, you killed him!

Except he actually just woke up in the clone body he kept on storage, drank a potion of greater restoration, scried his old dead body, then cast all his buffing spells before teleporting in to fuck you up

either that or going "hmmm, they were annoying. Time to send some minions to tie them up while I carry on with my plans."

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea my level 10 monk has a theoretical max damage of 304, and my rogue of a max of 186 at level 10. I hit a guy for 84 damage last combat with my rogue. Gotta love sneak attack.
    what

please explain to me in what fucking insane world is a monk doing more damage than a rogue

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    The major villains always has one of his minion's carry around a portable TV/VCR with his latest imposing villainous rant on it.

Never actually leaves his fortress.

PiptheFair wrote: »
    what

please explain to me in what fucking insane world is a monk doing more damage than a rogue
    a hypothetical "what if the multiple attack rolls i make in one round all get crits" situation, maybe?
    DE?AD wrote: »
    The major villains always has one of his minion's carry around a portable TV/VCR with his latest imposing villainous rant on it.

Never actually leaves his fortress.
    So what you're saying is, Entriech's DM should base his next major villain off of the Duke of Detroit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-urSLH58zMQ
    Sounds like a plan!

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    motorcity was the best

i miss it so

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    if I make a villain dumb/unlucky enough to get cut down in the first scene

it just means I need to up the ante in the aftermath

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited October 2012
    what

Monk has up to 8 attacks. 4 standard, plus 1 from haste, 1 from ki point and 2 from medusas wrath. enlarged that is 2D8 per attack. If they all crit then that is 4d8 per attack. so 32d8 total dice plus 48 extra damage from strength mod. So 32*8=256, 256+48 = 304. actually it would be another 8 damage because I would gain +1 strength from the enlarged. so 312 max.

The rogue does 4 basic attacks, plus 1 for haste. so 5 attacks at 6d6 for each attack (1d6 weapon plus 5d6 sneak per attack). so a total of 30d6 +5. 185 damage. Not sure where I got 186.

Now realistically, not theoretically, I usually see the rogue doing more damage as long as I can get her into combat advantage. The monk ain't no slouch though, especially when he is enlarged. Nothing like grappling the wizard that is fucking with the group and then having the rogue stab the shit out of him. Also since sustaining the grab is a move action for the monk, he can also pummel the shit out of the wizard as well.

webguy20 on
    the rogue can also use deadly daggers making his sneak attack a d8, agility weapons adding his dex mod like his strength mod, piranhas sting which is power attack for light weapons

he can also become size large and get cat's grace and a whole lot of other buffs

I get "theoretical" but fucking hell you'd have more of a chance winning the lottery than that occuring

average damage assuming a theoretical enemy AC of like 20 is a way better gauge (the rogue would win every time buffed or unbuffed)

also medusa's requires some sort of negative status condition on the enemy target, most likely meaning you have to use a stunning fist against it or it's already fucked anyway and damage is kinda moot

Dubh wrote: »
    if I make a villain dumb/unlucky enough to get cut down in the first scene

it just means I need to up the ante in the aftermath

if the guy they thought was the villain gets killed, he was just the real villain's proxy

and if the real villain gets killed, well, he was serving some lich-lord or demon prince

it's turtles all the way down, and the turtles are wearing domino masks and handlebar mustaches and tying maidens to railroad tracks

also rogue and monk are the worst 2 classes in pathfinder pretty much barring a few archetypes

also the ninja is a better rogue in every way

also rogue and monk are the worst 2 classes in pathfinder pretty much barring a few archetypes

It breaks my heart that I don't play the game to your high standard. Who the fuck cares what class is better than the others? I'm having a blast playing my characters. To me that's much more important.

The way you play must be very boring.

actually the worst 2 classes in pathfinder are the monk and the monk

It breaks my heart that I don't play the game to your high standard. Who the fuck cares what class is better than the others? I'm having a blast playing my characters. To me that's much more important.

The way you play must be very boring.

maybe don't talk about maximizing a mechanic then?

but no you're right, I am literally forbidding you from playing how you want to

in fact I'm calling your mother right now to tell her

that is what I was doing in those posts

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Don't you know, that is why they are "Pip and Paper games."

Why post this at all then? Who cares? Apparently you, and you must want me to know that I'm doing it wrong by playing the worst two classes in the game.

I never talked about maximizing anything, just the kind of damage output my characters could potentially deal. Someone talked about killing a big bad in 1 hit. The characters I play are usually the ones to pull that kind of thing off in the campaign I'm in so I thought I would chime in.

Still feels like you're taking this way to seriously and I find it hilarious that you take your make believe elves so seriously.

edited October 2012
    tbh i'd much rather see people talking about their unoptimized 3e/PF characters than their optimized ones

sword-and-board fighters, blaster wizzards, and ...monking monks are much more likely to be built around what the player finds interesting in the class than around mechanics that are (or at least superficially seem to be) statistically superior

gtrmp on

Why post this at all then? Who cares? Apparently you, and you must want me to know that I'm doing it wrong by playing the worst two classes in the game.

I never talked about maximizing anything, just the kind of damage output my characters could potentially deal. Someone talked about killing a big bad in 1 hit. The characters I play are usually the ones to pull that kind of thing off in the campaign I'm in so I thought I would chime in.

Still feels like you're taking this way to seriously and I find it hilarious that you take your make believe elves so seriously.

what

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I hit you all for 1000 damage.

I win at Dungeon whatevers.

wait, rogue is worse than bard?

What?

Melding wrote: »
    wait, rogue is worse than bard?

What?

different roles, but as far as skill monkeys go bards are better

gtrmp wrote: »
    tbh i'd much rather see people talking about their unoptimized 3e/PF characters than their optimized ones

sword-and-board fighters, blaster wizzards, and ...monking monks are much more likely to be built around what the player finds interesting in the class than around mechanics that are (or at least superficially seem to be) statistically superior

This right here.

My monk is dwarf who's personal mission is to punch the head clean off of a dragon. This is what motivates him and drives his decision making. He was working for a crime lord who also ran an underground fighting ring where the dwarf was learning how to fight from the star gladiator. He was able to defeat him in 1 on 1 combat and decided to join the party so as further his goals and training.

I hope one day in our campaign we do face a dragon and I can in fact punch its head off. Those will be the most tense attack rolls I'm sure I'll ever make with that character.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Skill monkeys that get a very few very choice buffs.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    gtrmp wrote: »

Who says a fighter can't be more than just a fighter?

My character Revin Bitter can dance, debuff, deceive, evade, fight, fly, judge, lead, retreat, scout, sneak, socialize, steal, tank, teleport, think, transform, and use any number of other interesting spell-like and supernatural abilities or skills. He is king of the shadow people, he is a monster assassin, he is a bird man, he is an enigma. He is not cardboard. He is so much more than just a fighter.

He is versatile AND potent. He's awesome in nearly every way. Some say he's not even human. Others say he's Batman.

The only thing keeping your fighters lame and limited is yourself.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Good to know if it ever comes up.

Also bards are the moon.

edited October 2012
    covered in creators?

or do they control the tide?

Melding on
    Also bards are the moon.

did I ever tell you the lvl 5 rogue build that lets me make this happen literally

cause it's dumb as hell

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    In the campaign I ran in high school, I had the players going up against a big bad wizard. But for the first 8 or so levels, the wizard didn't even have any reason to care that they existed. The BBEG's they were interacting with were a pair of twins who were serving as mercenary treasure-hunters for the wizard. I still very vividly remember the encounter where my friends figured out how to work together as a party, and optimize themselves enough to just utterly annihilate the twins in combat, killing one and just barely losing the other as he escaped through a portal, vowing revenge. Then, when they were all, "Now we can go after the main asshole!" I revealed that while they had been futzing around with his errand-boys, the wizard had been instigating wars across the continent and had recovered enough artifacts to start summoning a large number of demons, and had kidnapped and imprisoned the guy who oracles said was slated to be the next prophet for the main religion in the place where the demons were wrecking shit.

Later on, I started running a game that died pretty quick, but was already setting up a thorn in the PC's side who was just a general that was convinced they were criminals and was constantly chasing them down with the legion under his command. The PC's only ever saw him as a silhouette on a horse on the horizon, separated from them by regiments of soldiers.

BBEG's work through proxies, and there's always a higher-up. A Villain who puts himself into a position to be killed in a brawl with players doesn't deserve the title.

Also bards are the moon.

did I ever tell you the lvl 5 rogue build that lets me make this happen literally

cause it's dumb as hell
    please do!

Also bards are the moon.

cause it's dumb as hell
    please do!

gimme a sec

This discussion has been closed.