As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] This week on Dota 2: Brood update, unreleased hero texture work, and PRD.

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Ah i see, that makes sense then.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    they also massively buffed his str gain to compensate for changing his ult (which was +12/24/36 str)

so they gave him +1.2 str gain (2.6->3.8), and a new ult that is absolutely obscene b/c power creep

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Centaur is going to be a first ban in tournaments now because his ult is ridiculous. It has synergy with tons of heroes, it's a global gank tool, a global escape tool, a counter-initiation tool, a chasing tool, its damage scales over the course of the game, has low cooldown and low mana cost....

It's going to be nerfed for sure, so for now get your jollies in while you can. A few heroes I can think of offhand that would be tons of fun with it are: Tiny, anybody with invisibility but Invoker especially, Spectre, and Pudge.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Centaur is going to be a first ban in tournaments now because his ult is ridiculous. It has synergy with tons of heroes, it's a global gank tool, a global escape tool, a counter-initiation tool, a chasing tool, its damage scales over the course of the game, has low cooldown and low mana cost....

It's going to be nerfed for sure, so for now get your jollies in while you can. A few heroes I can think of offhand that would be tons of fun with it are: Tiny, anybody with invisibility but Invoker especially, Spectre, and Pudge.
    6.76c wrote:
    * Stampede cooldown increased from 65 to 120/90/60
    * Stampede duration rescaled from 3/4/5 to 3.75
    * Stampede damage slightly reworked from 100/150/200 + 2x str to 0 + 1/2/3x str (no base damage)
    * Stampede mancost increased from 50 to 80
    * Stampede AoE reduced from 120 to 105

* Drow's base armor decreased by 2
    * Marksmanship focus AoE increased from 375 to 400
    * Last Word manacost from 100 to 115
    * Living Armor cooldown and duration decreased from from 20 to 15
    * Living Armor manacost decreased 30/35/40/45 to 25

* Fixed an exploit with Enfeeble allowing it to be perma stuck on the enemy in some situations
    * Fixed some lag when Centaur initially casts Stampede
    * Centaur restricted from Captain's Mode
    * Fixed a couple of bugs with -TagTeam mode
    * Fixed Force Staff shop hotkey
    * Fixed various tooltips

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    really weird that only centaur is taken out of cm, but I guess dota 2 and all.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Well looking at the stats, it seemed as if everybody had a winrate below 55%, except Centaur, who was at like 68%... it's a rather big jump.

I ate an engineer
    It's entirely standard to take remade heroes out of the cm pool, but I guess it would look bad to add a hero to dota 2 and then not make them playable. meh

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    New Drow is disgusting.

27-0 shutout, no towers lost, in 19:23 with no leavers.

Replay ID : 54545662

(New Centaur is also disgusting.)

Sepah on
  • qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    Yup, Drow and Centaur are pretty imba as of now. I haven't been defeated as Centaur ever since he came out, the ult is just ridiculous. Drow's aura is also ridiculous, especially in a pushing line up with Enigma.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    drow getting 40 agility at level 6 is just soooooooo strong

i think its pretty cool

19ZUtIw.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    drow getting 40 agility at level 6 is just soooooooo strong

i think its pretty cool

I've just been running Omni when she shows up. The only difficulty is making sure you pop your ult before she silences you.

• SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    In Purge Plays Centaur,

his lane mate completely fucks up and causes Purge to feed fb to solo witchdoctor on suicide lane. WD is lvl3 before Purge even gets first farm. Lane mate dies, Purge gets killed solo. Just the most ridiculously thrown game of all time.

Except, they win.

Granted, their pudge hooked like oppa dendi but they won every team fight cause of stampede.

gotsig.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think the aoe that determines whether drow gets half agility is too small. It really only halves your bonus agility if you are getting whacked on by a melee hero

• khainkhain Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I think the aoe that determines whether drow gets half agility is too small. It really only halves your bonus agility if you are getting whacked on by a melee hero

I think that's pretty much the point and it's a cool mechanic where it rewards the drow player for keeping their distance, but encourages different play from ranged heroes when playing against her.

is this the thread where we keep complaining about stuff that's already been nerfed?

stream
    edited October 2012
    actually its the one where we complain about your posting

it doesn't get nerfed til like wednesday for dota 2 page!!! or maybe tomorrow since it is a work day for valve who knows that'd own

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Or who knows maybe they'll take a day off in memory of the east coast which is going to be destroyed.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I seriously feel like Centaurs ulti should not be global. The amount of utility it has is simply ridiculous with almost every hero, in particular those with invisibility and summons. Turns out that Chen with three centaurs coming at maximum speed out of the forest is pretty hard to do anything about.

• WhatWhat Registered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    actually its the one where we complain about your posting

it doesn't get nerfed til like wednesday for dota 2 page!!! or maybe tomorrow since it is a work day for valve who knows that'd own

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I seriously feel like Centaurs ulti should not be global. The amount of utility it has is simply ridiculous with almost every hero, in particular those with invisibility and summons. Turns out that Chen with three centaurs coming at maximum speed out of the forest is pretty hard to do anything about.

Wait it applies to minions as well?!
    How about summons?

Anyway, I'm not sure if that's stupid or stupidly awesome

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    So I got a beta invite to this game. A month later I play the game finally. 2 weeks later I'm making this post. As you can see I'm bursting with excitement to learn another MOBA.

Between this, LoL, and Smite I'm getting pretty burnt out on the genre. Oh and Super MNC which was such a shitty game for me. I literally spent every game trying to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do. It felt more like a deathmatch at times than it did a MOBA.

Well nonetheless, I would like to at least give this game a fair shot before I dismiss it completely. I wasn't too impressed with the first two games I played. I've not been impressed with the streams I've seen. The game just looks like a prototype to LoL (which the original was essentially). I know that the people who truly enjoy this game will probably be offended by that, but don't get too upset. I know this game is a lot deeper than LoL. Or at least that's what everyone says. I don't know if I want to play a game more complex and unforgiving than LoL is. That game stresses me out enough. But I do want to play a few games to get a pretty fair assessment if that is the case.

So what would you guys recommend? I would probably think playing with experienced players would be my best option. Get advice on what to do. Where to go, what to build, etc...

steam_sig.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Playing with experienced players leads to very interesting matchmaking results that could make it hard to learn. Advice from experienced players is good, though. Picking certain heroes, which I'm sure other people will have recommendations for based on your preference, also eases in the learning curve.

Also, saying "don't get upset, but I'm going to make this upsetting and baseless statement" isn't really going to stop it form being upsetting and baseless. It's a "prototype" to League only in that it came first and League is in the same genre; their design is very, very different.

I ate an engineer
    i would recommend you don't play games you don't like and aren't interested in.

stream
  • SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Ryadic wrote: »
    So I got a beta invite to this game. A month later I play the game finally. 2 weeks later I'm making this post. As you can see I'm bursting with excitement to learn another MOBA.

Between this, LoL, and Smite I'm getting pretty burnt out on the genre. Oh and Super MNC which was such a shitty game for me. I literally spent every game trying to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do. It felt more like a deathmatch at times than it did a MOBA.

Well nonetheless, I would like to at least give this game a fair shot before I dismiss it completely. I wasn't too impressed with the first two games I played. I've not been impressed with the streams I've seen. The game just looks like a prototype to LoL (which the original was essentially). I know that the people who truly enjoy this game will probably be offended by that, but don't get too upset. I know this game is a lot deeper than LoL. Or at least that's what everyone says. I don't know if I want to play a game more complex and unforgiving than LoL is. That game stresses me out enough. But I do want to play a few games to get a pretty fair assessment if that is the case.

So what would you guys recommend? I would probably think playing with experienced players would be my best option. Get advice on what to do. Where to go, what to build, etc...

Wait what.

The original Dota (still played by a far amount of people today btw) has been around for 9 years. It's not the prototype of LoL, it's the originator of the entire genre. It was around for 5 years before LoL was even first announced.

That all notwithstanding, these games can be pretty hard to jump into since they require pretty much encyclopedic knowledge of the character's and mechanics in order to be competitive. Pretty much why I have no interest in LoL.

If you're looking for some reasons why to choose this game over League that isn't "it's far more deep and rewarding" than my basic arguments are:
    1. All heroes available, no bullshit buying. Game is legitimately free to play.
    2. You can not pay or grind advantages. The only thing separating players is skills and experience, not a grinding/monetary system which gives some players an unfair advantage. Especially over new players.
    3.Made by Valve. This one is obviously my own personal bias but the last time I've bought a game in the last 5 years that wasn't made by Valve, I bought on the steam platform. I trust Valve to make a great game and support the community around its game.

gotsig.jpg
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    A few games will probably not get you a fair assessment.

being 12 years old is awesome!

so i hear through a lot of counting and having too much time on their hands some dork figures that 80% of players are in normal queue, about 15-17% are in high queue, and the last 3-5% are in very high queue. I would have though very high was bigger than that, but them's the breaks!

I've also finally removed ap. Not because I have a problem with it, but because it's the same 5 heroes every game now. I don't even care about their supposed balance issues, it's just boring. Can't wait till the next patch so things can go back to normal.

stream
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Centaur nerfs in Dota 2
    BUGS
    - Fixed Stampede sound not being global for enemies
    - Fixed Stampede buff being applied as an aura rather than a one time buff
    - Fixed Return vs Siege
    - Fixed Treant Protector's strength growth
    - Fixed Last Word Legacy Key
    - Fixed Last Word interaction with BKB and Cyclone

GAMEPLAY
    - Stampede cooldown increased from 65 to 120/90/60
    - Stampede duration rescaled from 3/4/5 to 3.75
    - Stampede damage slightly reworked from 100/150/200 + 2x str to 0 + 1/2/3x str (no base damage)
    - Stampede mancost increased from 50 to 80
    - Stampede AoE reduced from 120 to 105
    - Drow's base armor decreased by 2
    - Marksmanship focus AoE increased from 375 to 400
    - Last Word manacost from 100 to 115
    - Living Armor cooldown and duration decreased from from 20 to 15
    - Living Armor manacost decreased 30/35/40/45 to 25

Sweet, hopefully this will stem the insta-pick centaur games in AP.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Damn you, mts! I need your silky, dulcet tones reassuring me that yes, we are going to lose.

i made my not so triumphant return this past weekend and you were nowhere to be found... no where.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Spectre was busy wooing a lady.

He shall return tonight.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Agreed. Though I'll probably keep playing him. He's fun! He was fun before he was OP!

edited October 2012
    valiance wrote: »

Agreed. Though I'll probably keep playing him. He's fun! He was fun before he was OP!

Seems like he has a good kit, I was just getting annoyed at how his 2 second AOE stun was setting up chain stuns all weekend on me. In one game I was taking 3 stuns in a row if he landed a stomp.

Every game became a variation of the question: How fast can I build a BKB?

Dark_Side on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular

Seems like he has a good kit, I was just getting annoyed at how his 2 second AOE stun was setting up chain stuns all weekend on me. In one game I was taking 3 stuns in a row if he landed a stomp.

Every game became a variation of the question: How fast can I build a BKB?

2.75 sec in an aoe. silly season.

why is spiritbreaker SO bad. They changed him and he isnt any better. He might be worse. What gives?

spirit breaker ain't bad

he snowballs pretty hard and with his bash working through magic immunity it works now kinda owns

19ZUtIw.png
    pretentious tell me you were P10 in that draskyll game where he sentry warded and shackled weaver with an invisible leshrac gank at level 1 and the guy died and immediately abandoned

19ZUtIw.png
    It's kind of lame you can't silence Skeleton King out of his ult proc'ing. Played a game last night with a Doom on our team, and he made the mistake of ulting skelly a few times. I guess I understand the reason for it, he's already a pub stomp hero who sees no competitive play, but it's annoying when he manages to get big enough to be a late game problem.

Otherwise I've been on a mean loss streak lately, dipped back below a 50% win ratio. Been getting stuck on a lot of teams who have no idea how to deal with CC heavy enemy teams. Had one great game where 4 people picked strength based initiators and I went Clinkz. They all fed early (no clue how) and then ganged up on me for not ganking lanes. Didn't have the heart to tell them I wasn't going to gank lanes that had already been lost. The Dunning Kruger Effect was in full swing, especially on a DK who would not stop yelling at me, even though he had the worst DK build I've seen yet, and maxed his stun first....

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    It's kind of lame you can't silence Skeleton King out of his ult proc'ing. Played a game last night with a Doom on our team, and he made the mistake of ulting skelly a few times. I guess I understand the reason for it, he's already a pub stomp hero who sees no competitive play, but it's annoying when he manages to get big enough to be a late game problem.

Otherwise I've been on a mean loss streak lately, dipped back below a 50% win ratio. Been getting stuck on a lot of teams who have no idea how to deal with CC heavy enemy teams. Had one great game where 4 people picked strength based initiators and I went Clinkz. They all fed early (no clue how) and then ganged up on me for not ganking lanes. Didn't have the heart to tell them I wasn't going to gank lanes that had already been lost. The Dunning Kruger Effect was in full swing, especially on a DK who would not stop yelling at me, even though he had the worst DK build I've seen yet, and maxed his stun first....

You can't silence SK's ult because it triggers after he's dead, and there's no functional reason for Doom to persist after death.

camo_sig.png
    stream
This discussion has been closed.