As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extending a Network

GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
We recently moved, and as a result my desktop is a good distance away from our router now (through a couple walls, maybe some brick, who knows). As a result, my wireless connection signal is consistently in the 2-3 bars range with an unreliable internet connection that frequently lags out.

I'd like to fix this, but I'm kind of confused as to what my best option is. I replaced my wireless adapter, but that didn't do much. My router is a bit dated, but I don't think that's really the issue. Extending my network seems like an answer, but I'm not really sure the best way to go about it - also confused about the difference between range extenders, repeaters, or just creating a WAP closer to my desktop. Would love some advice.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    When I moved into my current residence I picked up one of these.

It can be a router, WAP, or wireless bridge. I have the modem and a linksys wireless router up in my office, and downstairs I have the device listed above acting as a wireless bridge which means the router connects wirelessly to the router in the office, and then I can plug any devices into the physical ports to acquire network access. Additionally it has a function to act as a repeater simultaneously to extend your wireless range.

Pretty damn cheap for that kind of feature set, but you will kind of have to know what you are doing to set that up. Also I occasionally have to manually reboot it to get it working again.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I've had really good results from an internet over powerline adapter, specifically this one http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=5215483&pid=1218625358741

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I'm using an ASUS RT-10+ router. I've got a long ethernet cord going to it from from an existing Linksys router on the other side of the house. It has a mode where it can extend the existing wireless network. It was super easy to set up, as routers go.

Or maybe I just created a new wifi network instead? I don't remember; I ended up turning off wifi on the existing router because nobody was ever using a laptop in that part of the house.

The downside is that I now have a very long cord strung all the way across the living room. This is because the DSL connection is on a separate phone line shared with a fax machine, and getting someone to rewire the phone lines in the living room would be a pain.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    I'm using an ASUS RT-10+ router. I've got a long ethernet cord going to it from from an existing Linksys router on the other side of the house. It has a mode where it can extend the existing wireless network. It was super easy to set up, as routers go.

Or maybe I just created a new wifi network instead? I don't remember; I ended up turning off wifi on the existing router because nobody was ever using a laptop in that part of the house.

The downside is that I now have a very long cord strung all the way across the living room. This is because the DSL connection is on a separate phone line shared with a fax machine, and getting someone to rewire the phone lines in the living room would be a pain.

Yeah, the cord situation is something I"m trying to avoid. Really, my computer is maybe 100 feet from my router now. Just trying to figure out whether a repeater, range extender, or WAP is my best bet, if there's any functional difference, etc.

How does the powerline adapter referenced above even work?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    It uses your power line wiring to transport ethernet via adapters plugged into wall sockets (think a wall wart, that has an ethernet port for you to plug you computer or switch into). It can work pretty well, but also not so well if your electrical wiring is crappy or old.

Djeet on