As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Would this work? (getting my 360 on-line)

EvanderEvander Disappointed FatherRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
So, long story short, I REFUSE to spend 100 bucks for an adapter to get my 360 online, since that is really too much money. Unfortunately, because basically no one uses them anymore, ethernet bridges are particularly expensive.

However, I think I've found a way of doing things that would only run 30~40 bucks. It involves using the following three items (or something very similar):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156152
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BSN4UY/ref=pd_cp_e_1/104-3928720-1259146?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=1Q8HAZ66TW1YENCXKC0N&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_i=B000AA2SMS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107293

And then an ethernet cable to top it all off.

SO, would this actually work?

Evander on

• Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doubt it

EDIT: Just get a long ethernet cable here http://www.cablewholesale.com/catalog/cat5enetworkcables.htm

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How close is your 360 to you PC? I was surprised to find out that Internet Connection Sharing works for the 360, which is nice, as I have a wireless card in my PC and use my widescreen monitor for my 360 as well.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    there is NO way to plug the 360 into a PC or the cable modem. it would require draping cables all through hallways and stairways, and just has no possible way of working.

Evander on
  • NaeblissNaebliss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I use this as an access point for my pc. It's fifty bucks, but it works well. If your interested I can go hook it up to my 360 to verify that it works well with that too.

Naebliss on
    This couch is the comfiest!
    Street Fighter 4 (pc): sdurien
    Steam: Jon http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/76561197970923897/home
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    With connection sharing do you need a crossover cable?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Yes, or a switch. This does require 2 network ports on your desktop...

As for wireless bridging, the USB to USB idea will not work.. nice try, though.

Naebliss' suggestion should work since that router can be configured for bridge mode.

Also you can find a generic ethernet-wifi adapter similar to the original xbox (not 360) version for under $50 I'm sure and it should work just the same.

Keep in mind that the walls in your house will affect signal quality as well as the quality of your primary router/access point.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Play Link works great. Even better if you buy it for like $5 on eBay.

Edit: To answer your question, no it won't work. I have a USB wireless connector thing that came with my computer that didn't do anything when I tried it with my 360.

Burtletoy on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Naebliss wrote: »
    I use this as an access point for my pc. It's fifty bucks, but it works well. If your interested I can go hook it up to my 360 to verify that it works well with that too.
    I nice coincidence, but me and my brother were up late last night trying to make a wireless bridge/ access point/ whatever and failed.

Any good place to learn how to make one correctly? My current plan is cable modem -> Linksys wts54gs -> (wireless bridge) -> buffalo whr-g54s -> 360

the linksys is also hooked up to a wired desktop and several wireless computers.

we couldn't get it to work and a linksys picture showed that you needed a router and then the two other routers needed for the bridge.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Isn't there a cheap wireless USB Adaptor that works with the 360 too?

I heard of an alternative for the one for the Wii ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • NaeblissNaebliss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I nice coincidence, but me and my brother were up late last night trying to make a wireless bridge/ access point/ whatever and failed.
    If your having problems with the setup then I might be able to help. My bridge defaults to a 1.1.1.1 ip so I had to set my pc to 1.1.1.2 in order to access it via browser (this little detail by the way took me forever since at the time I didn't know much about networking :)). Once you do that everything else is user friendly.

Naebliss on
    This couch is the comfiest!
    Street Fighter 4 (pc): sdurien
    Steam: Jon http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/76561197970923897/home
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I run a 100 foot cable from the router downstairs to my switch upstairs. 100 feet. It's not so bad. You get used to the mess of cable hanging around all over the place, although the colour (neon blue) was probably a poor choice. Honestly though, if that truly isn't an option, you're probably stuck buying the wireless adapter :|

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    I run a 100 foot cable from the router downstairs to my switch upstairs. 100 feet. It's not so bad. You get used to the mess of cable hanging around all over the place, although the colour (neon blue) was probably a poor choice. Honestly though, if that truly isn't an option, you're probably stuck buying the wireless adapter :|

No, get a Play Link its cheaper and made for that exact situation. Also the wireless adapter for old Xbox's work on the 360 aswell from what I've been told, might be able to find one of those for cheaper.

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2007
    exoplasm wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Yes, or a switch. This does require 2 network ports on your desktop...

As for wireless bridging, the USB to USB idea will not work.. nice try, though.

Naebliss' suggestion should work since that router can be configured for bridge mode.

Also you can find a generic ethernet-wifi adapter similar to the original xbox (not 360) version for under $50 I'm sure and it should work just the same.

Keep in mind that the walls in your house will affect signal quality as well as the quality of your primary router/access point.

I've taken my wireless laptop into the same room as the 360, and had it work just fine.

In theory, I could use the laptop for connection sharing, but that just seems like it would be too much o a hassle each time I wanted to hop on-line.

Evander on
    edited July 2007

If it were my house, I wouldn't mind doing it, but I'm living in my parents' house right now, and they wouldn't be too keen on wires everywhere.

Evander on
    edited July 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »

No, get a Play Link its cheaper and made for that exact situation. Also the wireless adapter for old Xbox's work on the 360 aswell from what I've been told, might be able to find one of those for cheaper.

any specs on the play link? like range, ability to go through walls/floors, etc?

Evander on
    edited July 2007
    I believe IGN had a review on them that I read before I got mine, suffice to say mine is going ~12ft and through 2 walls and connects fine

Edit:
    IGN wrote:
    1.5Mbps connection

100-foot range

8.0/10 Overall

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2007
    And what type of signals will it interfere with/will interfere with it? Our house is full of various signals already.

Evander on
    edited July 2007
    It's Radiowaves, so I don't think it'll mess with anything actually...but I'm not too sure about that. I'm running bluetooth for my Wii, Mouse & Keyboard along with wireless 360 controller and our wireless router for 3 computers in our apartment. It seems to handel it fine.

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    It's Radiowaves, so I don't think it'll mess with anything actually...but I'm not too sure about that. I'm running bluetooth for my Wii, Mouse & Keyboard along with wireless 360 controller and our wireless router for 3 computers in our apartment. It seems to handel it fine.

we have a whole network of wireless phones in the house that I believe work on RF

also, my Wavebirds.

The play Link DOES look good, but it is honestly crazy that there is no cheap way to take advantage of the wireless network I ALREADY have.

Evander on
    edited July 2007
    Naebliss wrote: »
    If your having problems with the setup then I might be able to help. My bridge defaults to a 1.1.1.1 ip so I had to set my pc to 1.1.1.2 in order to access it via browser (this little detail by the way took me forever since at the time I didn't know much about networking :)). Once you do that everything else is user friendly.
    getting to the settings was easy. I couldn't get it to work. it's all there in my post.

so I returned the buffalo router (bought yesterday), and found a shelf full of play links at circuit city with a $19.99 sign on the shelf. Saw one of the boxes still had it's original price of $79.99. Bought. Rang up and after tax as $18.something.

Works perfectly. Evander, I have 3 cells phones (consider them voice only), wireless home phone, wireless router, and 6 devices hooked up wirelessly to the router. Play link worked perfectly and effortlessly. Router the play link is attached to is upstairs corner bedroom, 360 the other play link is downstairs in garage. I'd say 30ft, 2-3 walls.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    run the damn cables through the cold air returns and such already

it might take a couple hours but then you're not dicking around with other solutions and you got a reliable hard line to it.

Deusfaux on
    edited July 2007
    cold.. air.... returns?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    cold.. air.... returns?

I think he means a vent.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
    edited July 2007
    Yeah. Just thinking how not many houses in Hawaii have that. Evander can probably pull that off, but the play link is a great option if he can find one. use the cable, and if you see a play link at the store, pick it up.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You could get a standard Linksys 54G wireless router, then upload third party firmware that allows it to function as a bridge / switch. The built-in firmware allows it to be a router or access point, but there's not a built-in bridge function. The nice thing is that they were $30 - $40 when they were new, so you should be able to get them pretty cheaply by now.

I'm at work now, so I can't dig up that firmware link, but googling "Linksys bridge firmware" might turn up something interesting.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited July 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    run the damn cables through the cold air returns and such already

it might take a couple hours but then you're not dicking around with other solutions and you got a reliable hard line to it.

Again, not my place, and my folks would be opposed to it.

If I had the ability to take any of the simple solutions, they'd be taken by now.

Evander on
    edited July 2007
    templewulf wrote: »
    You could get a standard Linksys 54G wireless router, then upload third party firmware that allows it to function as a bridge / switch. The built-in firmware allows it to be a router or access point, but there's not a built-in bridge function. The nice thing is that they were $30 - $40 when they were new, so you should be able to get them pretty cheaply by now.

I'm at work now, so I can't dig up that firmware link, but googling "Linksys bridge firmware" might turn up something interesting.

I'd be hesitant mostly because I actually have a linksys game-bridge thing at home (my brother bought it for his PS2, years back) and that thing practically never works.

Evander on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »

I'd be hesitant mostly because I actually have a linksys game-bridge thing at home (my brother bought it for his PS2, years back) and that thing practically never works.
    I usually never have a problem with their hardware (to say nothing of their awful tech support), but I can sympathize with your feelings about it. Netgear is usually the one that acts up on me. What brand do you use for network hardware if not Linksys?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I highly recommend this product:

Right here.

But seriously, just get a bridge. Everywhere I'm looking they can be had for ~$50. Both price watch and price grabber pointed me to here.

Quantux on
    PSN/Steam - Quantux

• mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Just plug that by itself into the back of your 360.

You definitely cannot use those gender changers to connect two USB devices to each other. For one thing, 5V DC has to come from somewhere, and standard IEEE 802.3 Ethernet doesn't carry power.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited July 2007
    mspencer wrote: »

Just plug that by itself into the back of your 360.

You definitely cannot use those gender changers to connect two USB devices to each other. For one thing, 5V DC has to come from somewhere, and standard IEEE 802.3 Ethernet doesn't carry power.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't work, I've tried a diffrent wireless usb adapter that came with my computer and it doesn't work with the 360.

Burtletoy on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sounds like the "simple solution" is to suck it up and buy the wireless thing for the 360. You shop around you can find them cheap. The local videogame shop here sells em for 40 bucks used when they have them in (granted they're generally nuts when it comes to pricing stuff though).

But I'd talk some sense into your parents and just run the hard line through the cold air return and then under/along the baseboards. Noone will ever see it and maybe your dad would jump at the chance to tackle a project with you some weekend.

Barring either of those, just move out already (unless you're under 16).

Allforce on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm pretty sure that if you find a router that will run some iteration of the hacked firmwares that are available, you can convert a router into a bridge. It might take some research and some tweaking, at which point you might question the value of your time vs the cost savings.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My brother used his linksys wireless bridge to hook his 360 up. It worked great.

Until he wanted to stream video from his PC, that is. Keep that in mind for any wireless solution (except expensive "802.11a", I guess).

Basically, you plug an Ethernet cable from your 360 to bridge, and that connects wirelessly (duh) to your 802.11g router.

FatmanGames on
    edited July 2007
    Allforce wrote: »
    Barring either of those, just move out already (unless you're under 16).

Yeah, but I just moved back in.

Moving out now = sinking money into a really crappy apartment for years to come

Staying here a while = living pretty much expense free, meaning I have time to save up to make sure I actually LIKE the place I live in next.

Not to mention that they pay for food, and bought a car for my use (I cover gas, but they cover insurance)

They're paying for pretty much everything other than my phone bill. They even foot the bill for some of my clothes purchases, computer parts purchases, school expenses, etc.

I'd be fucking crazy to look this gift horse in the mouth.

Evander on
    edited July 2007
    I'm pretty sure that if you find a router that will run some iteration of the hacked firmwares that are available, you can convert a router into a bridge. It might take some research and some tweaking, at which point you might question the value of your time vs the cost savings.

my time is worth $12.50 an hour.

if I can do this in under four hours, I'd say it's worth it.

We actually have a few spare linksys and netgear routers lying around the house. I need to check if any of them would work with that firmware.

Evander on
    edited July 2007

I usually never have a problem with their hardware (to say nothing of their awful tech support), but I can sympathize with your feelings about it. Netgear is usually the one that acts up on me. What brand do you use for network hardware if not Linksys?

The network in the house uses whatever the hell Verizon gave us (hooray for FiOs)

Last year, when I was in the apartment, I was using a Netgear router, and never had any real trouble with it. I used my laptop, my DS, my PSP, and my Wii all with it just fine.

Evander on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just to point it out...

If you have a laptop with a wireless card, you can just attach the 360 to the laptop with an ethernet cord and get internet that way. I think it took me like 2 minutes of setting up some settings and it was all good.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited July 2007
    Basically, you plug an Ethernet cable from your 360 to bridge, and that connects wirelessly (duh) to your 802.11g router.

But what do I do with this power cable? Do I try to fit it into the phone socket? And why is the cupholder on my computer broken?

;-)

I've set up simple wireless networks before. I know how to plug componants into each other. My issue is that I want to find workable componants that won't cost me a bundle. So far, the cheapest plan seems to be finding out if any of the spare routers in the house will run the cracked firmware.

Short of that, is that anyone here that owns a Linksys game adapter, and had trouble with it in the past, but got it to work fine afterwards? Like I said before, I have access to one, but I've NEVER been able to get it to work consistantly. It'll connect fine, but it eventually always loses the connection, and has to be pluged into the router to be "retaught" how to connect; at least once every couple of weeks, and sometimes every couple of days. I've read about other people having issues with it, but if any of y'all know of any real solutions for it I'd be appreciative.

Evander on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://www.dd-wrt.com is what I use (on my router, no need for bridge.)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png