As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, October 29, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 26: Games are Really Big

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, October 29, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 26: Games are Really Big

All we know about Dragon Age 3 is that it's big. We guess that's good?

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    BeardednerdBeardednerd Registered User new member
    Nice Hair, Graham

• Options
    Tuna MeltTuna Melt Registered User new member
    'The Deadliest Island' appears to follow Kathleen's earrings in that the story really just sorts to flush itself around the same area already traversed by its prequel...but with more water.

• Options
    mowinckelmowinckel Registered User regular
    your hair looks nice

• Options
    BaloogyMcBoyBaloogyMcBoy Registered User regular
    Your hair looks nice too Kathleen!

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Truly your hair is is well-combed and adequately styled in an appropriately masculine way.
    Tuna Melt wrote: »
    'The Deadliest Island' appears to follow Kathleen's earrings in that the story really just sorts to flush itself around the same area already traversed by its prequel...but with more water.

I can't even tell if you're trying to be insulting or not.

• Options
    SnowySnowy Registered User new member
    A chance to get acknowledged on the internet again? Must...find...more...faults...

• Options
    DashDash Registered User regular
    lol You didn't really have to address the whole Sonic Jump biz, but it's cool that you did. Most aren't aware of it(or it's sequel!) and they most certainly are revisiting it because of Doodle Jump success. Generations and Colors were pretty good(and that sweet Sonic CD port was nice), so I don't see polishing an old mobile phone game from when it wasn't so ubiquitous to have them such a depressing act. Doesn't mean SEGA has stopped whoring Sonic altogether or that they haven't made themselves an easy target though. Where's Waldo books? With stock pre-rendered art? I'm sure the kids are clamoring for it.

You guys are rad though! Keep making videos and we'll keep telling you what you did wrong! That's the internet right?

Dunno what Tuna Melt is saying but Kathleen's earrings are boss.

3DS FC: 1547-5192-0677
    Pokemon Y
    Username 360/PS3/Wii U : Dasherino
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    500 Babies

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    UberMattUberMatt Registered User new member

• Options
    spoonybard.hahsspoonybard.hahs Registered User regular
    The other funny thing about the suit being thrown out: none of the plaintiff's were PSN+ subscribers. Since they weren't paying for the service, the judge ruled that they had no legal standing to sue for not being able to access services they were getting for free.

• Options
    AnonymouZeroAnonymouZero Registered User new member
    guys, they read the comments! make your attempt to sweep Kathleen off her feet! aaand, GO!

• Options
    guys, they read the comments! make your attempt to sweep Kathleen off her feet! aaand, GO!

Because women are goals/prizes to be won instead of people, right?

Anyway I'd be highly suspicious of any lady who falls head over heels because of things said in a comment forum.

• Options
    DiamondMXDiamondMX Registered User regular
    Courts once again prove that common sense is not so common.
    Did none of the plaintiffs even point out that noone reads that crap, Sony knows noone reads that crap, and people know that Sony knows, that noone reads that crap.

EULAs need to go.

• Options
    TuskusTuskus Registered User regular
    Your hair does not look nice.

• Options
    AnnaThemaAnnaThema Registered User regular
    Although you guys didn't screw anything up, you didn't mention the latest playstation permahack. In your defense, though, I feel like Sony's trying to keep this one under wraps...

• Options
    TostigoTostigo Super Fighting Robot Registered User regular
    How did I get here? This isn't Extra Credits.

• Options
    JonanJonan Registered User new member
    hey Falx i think that you are failed to recognize sarcasm on the internet.

Also both of your haircuts look very nice.

• Options
    Yeah because sarcasm is so easy to bring across in text you can just type anything without making an effort.

And besides, there have been plenty of creepy and downright odd statements made that weren't sarcastic at all.

• Options
    TheMagicLemurTheMagicLemur Registered User regular
    Falx, the comment was -clearly- a joke meant to gently mock all the fawning over Kathleen. Calm down.

She's quite pretty in my opinion, but yes, some commenters are being total creepsters. Welcome to the internet.

• Options
    Whatever, I'm not going off topic any further. Continue with your obvious sarcasm then.

• Options
    Punk RexPunk Rex Registered User regular
    I like your beard Graham, Kathleen needs to work on hers though. I can't even see it really.

• Options
    thenameless685thenameless685 Registered User regular
    dis is one of the best game shows out dere cuz is not biased toward a specific company n doest talk about shit nobody cares about

• Options
    randomfoxrandomfox Registered User new member
    Your hair looked great today!

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Bitchin' hair Graham.

Kathleen too. Just not like Graham's. But it's okay. It's not a race.

• Options
    NonsensiclesNonsensicles Registered User regular
    You both have amazing eyebrows!

• Options
    DarkironDarkiron Registered User regular
    i think graham is a pretty cool guy. eh tells me about games and doesn’t afraid of anything.

• Options
    likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    That was the best Ron Jeremy joke ever.

• Options
    katalaiscutekatalaiscute Registered User regular
    Contrary to how it would appear. Saying something along the lines of "welcome to the internet" doesn't make you cooler, funnier, better, edgier or more veteran then anyone else wasting time here.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    @DiamondMX
    Courts once again prove that common sense is not so common.
    Did none of the plaintiffs even point out that noone reads that crap, Sony knows noone reads that crap, and people know that Sony knows, that noone reads that crap.

EULAs need to go.

Not reading isn't grounds for a lawsuit. If you don't want to read the EULA, it's on your head, not theirs.
    And honestly the expectation that something will be "unhackable" is just plain ridiculous. With enough time and effort, someone will be able to break into any system. There's just not enough security to stop a determined and knowledgeable person from breaking in.
    To cut off the inevitable retort of "But it was an easy hack", the vast majority of users, programmers, and hackers who both used the system and worked with it, had no knowledge of the flaw that got exploited until it did. Maybe it seems "simple" to you since you heard about it or because you really don't know what you're talking about, but it was small enough for a lot of very knowledgeable people to miss.
    Hell, they built a damn supercomputer using nothing but off-the-shelf, unmodified, PS3s and didn't catch the flaw in the system.

• Options
    lefiathlefiath Registered User new member
    I'll help you with that "what we got wrong this time". About Dead Island - it's clear that nobody that prepares the news actually played the game or remembers the story, because while the trailer was absolutely touching and horrifying at the same time, the game turned out to be nothing like the trailer itself. Sure, it's close combat game with zombies, but the story is actually pretty weak, all over the place and goofy, along with the stereotypical characters you play as. So overall, it's not bad game, gameplay was decent and there is plenty of it, but shoud they actually make it more serious and darker, this time it might really shine, not just because of the trailer.

• Options
    SamokoskeSamokoske Registered User regular
    Type your comment here

• Options
    JohnyTwoFistsJohnyTwoFists Registered User new member
    @Dedwrekka - There is a difference between unhackable and failing to provide appropriate levels of protections. I am not saying that Sony did anything wrong, but most States have regulations about what companies can do with and how protective they have to be with Personally identifiable information (PII); No mater what the EULA says Sony should be obligated to obey these rules. That being said I'm not an expert in law nor have I studied the case. I am only aware of this because I personal handle PII at work and know the extent that my employer goes to make sure that even if they were hacked or we were comprimised it would be extremely hard to actually get to customer data. Security is often multiple fold and systems are often very restrictive in how the can communicate to each other while network traffic is watched very closely. I hacked machine that begain to try to get connected to a more secure machine would be quickly identified and isolated.

There is no perfect security. But there is certainly flawed security. And the difficulty is often a mater of operational excellience (aka making sure employees follow process) and money.

I have also worked with a number of companies that have experienced a security breach and the most probable cause I have seen if failure to check up on employees. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen somone setup a password of "Password1" just as a temp process and forgot they did it and suddenly that server is hacked. So it helps to try to hack yourself every now and then. Pay security consultants to try to break in to your systems and give them all the advantages they might get if you had a sys admin go bad. Assume the worse case and see how well your security stands up. Then do it again in 6 months, and again, and again.

Just saying.

- someone with IT Management and system security experience.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Not reading isn't grounds for a lawsuit. If you don't want to read the EULA, it's on your head, not theirs.

Ignorance of the law is neither a defense or grounds for a lawsuit. But don't confuse EULAs with laws that were passed by elected representatives, as opposed to scrawled by a corporation's lawyers and made purposefully vast and impenetrable to evade scrutiny. Although, the distinction is getting to be a finer point these days, so on reflection I see a finer point here than when I started typing this paragraph...

That said, Checkpoint is over-simplifying the issue, perhaps to a greater extent than I do above. These users weren't required to fork over credit card details to use the service, only to buy content offered on the service. Even Microsoft in such a position, with their monthly fees, would likely counter that buying annual 12 Month subscription cards is actually cheaper than paying monthly for a year, so no one is being penalized for withholding their credit card details. They probably wouldn't be quick to point out that the Gold version of the dash sucks worse than the Silver version, though.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Kathleen_LRRKathleen_LRR Registered User regular
    @lefiath

I remember the game well. It was long and boring, and you did a million fetch quests. Then you got to the city and were asked to do a million more fetch quests, and then you took the game out of the Xbox and you played something else.

• Options
    pladapuspladapus Registered User new member
    I really enjoy this show but I keep getting a pizza commercial between every episode? Normally, that's cool, I mean, it's pizza (yum)... but these episodes are only about four minutes long... (><). Still, LOVE the show.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    pladapus wrote: »
    I really enjoy this show but I keep getting a pizza commercial between every episode? Normally, that's cool, I mean, it's pizza (yum)... but these episodes are only about four minutes long... (><). Still, LOVE the show.

Is there Canadian bacon and pineapple on the pizza?

If not, they're doing it wrong.

• Options
    DJ_BunceDJ_Bunce Registered User regular
    Was actually just thinking that about your (collective) hair.