As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spirits: For monocles AND hobos alike!

PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Indeed, Beer may be God's gift to man, but spirits are his best weapon! Whether it be Gin, Vodka, Whisk(e)y, Brandy, Tequila, or Rum, spirits have succeed in getting men drunk and writing some of the best novels and poems mankind has ever seen!

Straight up, on the rocks, or in a cocktail, Spirits may make your spirits go up and down, but they always lead to interesting discussion!

Perhaps we should state at the begining that distilled beverages are NOT beer or wine - you cannot really drink them the whole night and feel great the next morning. They can be incredibly dangerous. I am a strict believer that you should only have one or two, and then switch to beer, unless you are spacing them out over a long long period of time.

Me, I'm a gin guy. I love just how smooth it is, how lightly flavored it is, so that the taste of the alcohol is dry, yet there is still some flavor to it. Screw vodka - Gin is THE mixing drink. Gin and Tonics, Martinis, Tom Collins, Sloe Screw, Salty Dog - a high percentage of the best drinks use gin as their base. Bombay Sappire is my usual buy, though Hendricks and regular Tanqueray are also great.

Scotch has recently made it's way up my list thanks to my roommate. We recently bought a bottle of Dalwhennie aged since 1990. It was one of the smoothest things I've ever had. No bite what so ever. Whiskey (which gets it's name from a Gaelic term for drink of life - akin to aqua vitae) is my favorite drink straight and on the rocks.

I am not a big fan of vodka. Totally overrated in my opinion.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
9pr1GIh.jpg?1
Podly on

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Meet South Gin:

1530.jpg

At almost half the price to Bombay and Tanqueray, it almost equals in taste. If you're a little short on cash, South is a good buy.

Especially if you like your liquor from more exotic locales. It's made in New Zealand.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Due to weak teeth, I can't drink anything with sugar/corn syrup in it, so my cocktail options are limited - I usually stick with gin and tonic or martinis. I like the taste of a dirty martini made with vodka, though.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Aren't you underage? I can't condone this thread.

Dynagrip on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One of my roommate (one of the best bartenders I know) favorite drinks is an oatmeal cookie

1/2 oz Grand Marnier® orange liqueur
    1/2 oz butterscotch schnapps
    1/2 oz Bailey's® Irish cream

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    speaking of Tanqueray, have you guys had Tanqueray's Rangpur Gin? It's Tanqueray's weakest Gin, about 41% by volume, and equally priced but it's pretty darn good! Very smooth and easy to enjoy on the rocks. I haven't mixed it yet but I hear it mixes well.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
    edited July 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Aren't you underage? I can't condone this thread.

Barely, and considering I don't even have a license, it's not that big of a deal, considering that I am a very responsible drinker.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited July 2007
    Spackle wrote: »
    speaking of Tanqueray, have you guys had Tanqueray's Rangpur Gin? It's Tanqueray's weakest Gin, about 41% by volume, and equally priced but it's pretty darn good! Very smooth and easy to enjoy on the rocks. I haven't mixed it yet but I hear it mixes well.

I didn't like it mixed, but I did like it on the rocks. Had a nice taste.

I just don't like how it's marketed really hard at African Americans.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Podly wrote: »

Really? Didn't know that. I stumbled upon it recently (I guess it only came out this year?) at my liquor store and picked it up. Very happy with it.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Podly wrote: »

How? Because the British guy is black?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to be all into 151. I've since matured and am looking for good rums. Captain Morgan's is really my baseline for it, and I like Bacardi, but I want something different.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Either of these are all you need.

cabo-wabo_0874_r2.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    I used to be all into 151. I've since matured and am looking for good rums. Captain Morgan's is really my baseline for it, and I like Bacardi, but I want something different.

Morgans special stock is quite drinkable for a commercial rum

In general aged dark rums are much better.

nexuscrawler on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Silver? No sir, Patron Platinum is where it's at. My friend had a bottle of that... my god, it was so smooth. Especially when jumping from starting out with shots of Jose Cuervo with lime and salt straight to straight sipping Patron Platinum a few months later... man, that shit was AMAZING.

Also, I like gin, I am glad you suggested some cool gins. I've only had Tanqueray, Tanqueray No. 10 (which I like a lot), and Bombay Sapphire. I like them best in G&Ts.

Also, Havana Club rum is great! Thumbs up to that.
    In Bermuda I had several Dark and Stormys, which are smooth... Ginger Beer (like ginger ale, but more gingery by far) with Gosling's Black Seal Rum (dark rum of course). It is fantastico!

I'd like to try some scotch, but I haven't really. I also haven't drank that much whiskey. Except a whiskey sour once which was good.. but yeah, I would like to try some.

Truthfully... I don't really like vodka. Bleh, spare me the rubbing alcohol taste thx. I've only ever had Smirnoff and Grey Goose, and while the Grey Goose was easy to stomach, I didn't prefer it to other things.
    ALTHOUGH: I tried a drink called a Moscow Mule, and it is fantastic.. I think it's vodka, fresh lime juice, and some ginger beer. This must be tried.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really like amaretto.

I think this makes me a twinkletoed nancyboy.

Yet I don't care. It's tasty.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ahh spirits... good times, bad times.

I like a good scotch, but the problem is that they are all to goddamn expensive and are hard to find in my home area.

Ive tried Glenlivet (12y) and Johny Walker (black label). I like both of them fine. Probably not the best out there, but decent.

By far though my favorite whiskey type has been bourbon. Jim Beam Black is my favorite bourbon by far, and Ive had quite a few of these (Jack, Wild Turkey, and a couple of other brands I cant remember the name of right now)

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My friends took me out for bourbon and sushi on my 21st.

Man, bourbon isn't for me.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I detest gin. The smell of it is enough to make my stomach roil. It's that sharp scent it seems to have (Vaguely spicy?) and poof my appetite for booze is gone.

I don't drink spirits much anymore, but I do love Goldshclager something fierce. For those who don't know it's the stuff with the gold flecks in it. And if it's at all cold - yowza. Jager is decent too, but that's more due to the company I keep (ah, living in resort towns). It's an international shot standard.

Finally, Bailey's is just so tasty. Milk + Baileys + Ice = Gooood times. I don't even drink it with the intention to drink alcohol. It's just really good. And yes, perhaps that makes me a "twinkletoed nancyboy" ;) but if it's wrong, I don't want to be right!

Edit: I shoudl be more clear. Jager isn't that great. But I'd rather shoot that than anything else (except Goldshclager as discussed) if buying a round of shots or someone asks me what to shoot.

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    I pretty much agree with Podly's whole post. If you can only afford one item for your liquor cabinet, GET GIN. Specifically Bombay - I've experimented with others and they're fine or whatever, but why mess with success?

I despise vodka. I've had like thirty different brands and have yet to find one that doesn't make me wonder if someone's spiked my glass with Drano.

I'm just now getting into whiskey (when I'm not cripplingly poor); I can't afford the really smooth stuff but there's something about those smoky, eyewatering Scotches that just lets you know in no uncertain terms that this is alcohol aged in sod-crusted oak and you are drinking it.

Let's see, what else is good. Cointreau is fabulous. I love that sort of orange rindy aftertaste. Bailey's Irish for mixing into milk, coffee, shakes, whatever. Oh, and fucking Gran Marnier. I can't afford it but I've had other people's and oh man so good.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2007
    Kind of girly, perhaps, but have you ever had a million dollar coffee? Because it's delicious while being quite alcoholic.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gin actually upsets my tummy, I find the taste so abhorrent. Scotch I can sip though (not a huge bourbon fan, however).

You have my full support on the Oatmeal Cookie mixer. Those things are freaking amazing. See also: chocolate martinis.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When over in Hungary, we were told about this drink that we had to try out. Called the Bartender's Favourite, I have no idea what they put in to those small shot glasses, but the piece de resistance was the fact that he lit them all on fire. It was awesome. Some find it too strong, some can't drink it at all. I downed mine relatively easy but I could certainly feel the effects... it was strong stuff, whatever was in it.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm a scotch drinker most of the time. When I go out I usually drink Johnny Walker Black Label, as it's decent and every bar carries it. On my own, I'll try different scotchs. I enjoy Balvenie quite a bit, and occassionally Bowmore or Laphroig.

The problem is that the weather is too hot right now, and scotch doesn't go well with hot weather. When it gets this hot, I'll usually have vodka on the rocks (usually Ketel One). Lately, I've been trying to get into gin martinis, but I'm having a little difficulty getting used to the botanicals (mainly using Bombay Sapphire).

Vodka is one of those alcohols that I'm torn over. The problem is that the more expensive it is, the more filtered it is, which means that it has less and less taste. I've been told that if you want Grey Goose vodka without paying the Grey Goose price, just grab some cheap store brand vodka and run it through a Brita filter a few times. I'm not sure how true this is, but I've had more than one person tell me that.

Dalboz on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone tried grappa? It's actually kind of nice for shots when you consider how strong it is.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
    edited August 2007
    Grappa I have had. It's pretty cool.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ugh, grappa is awful.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Best. Vodka. Ever.

352300539_45fde2a1cd_o.jpg

geckahn on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like vodka. It's what I started on, and it has the least offensive taste. I like to shoot rather than sip or mix, and it's the least unpleasant shot I've come across. I hate, hate, hate flavored liquor--the stuff disgusts me.

Gin and Tonics are okay, but if I'm going to drink something I'll taste, then I'd much rather it be some girly alcopop, a massively mixed drink, or a glass of wine or champaign.

The best:

image-1-lexikon-spirituosen-grey-goose.jpg

Smirnof and Skyy are okay, and Popov and Vitali are buget items.

Does anyone here really exclusively drink stuff like Bombay Sapphire or Belvedere? Because that strikes me as retardedly expensive. I'm not made of money, and my drinks shouldn't be either. I'm more than happy to break out the good stuff for special occasions, but I'm not going over ~$22 a handle for regular drinks, and I have no problem downing some ~$12 bargain basement stuff. It tastes bad, but those horrible fumes are the fumes of savings.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    Seriously try Tito's. Just as good as goose, and less expensive then absolut.

geckahn on
    edited August 2007
    Tito's huh? Is it a common/everywhere kind of thing?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I almost exclusively drink stuff like Sapphire and Grey Goose.

Now, if a host at a party or a family dinner or whatnot is pouring free drinks, I'm not going to turn my nose up because it's made with Smirnoff. But if I'm at a bar, I specify "Sapphire and Tonic" "Grey Goose Martini" and so on. And that's what I buy for myself at home.

That said, I rarely if ever get totally trashed. If I'm getting trashed, I might start with a fancy liquor, but I'm not so stupid as to drink myself to unconsciousness at $30 a bottle. Once I cross the threshold from 'lightly buzzed' to 'let's get retarded in here' my alcohol snob gland stops working.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    That said, I rarely if ever get totally trashed. If I'm getting trashed, I might start with a fancy liquor, but I'm not so stupid as to drink myself to unconsciousness at $30 a bottle. Once I cross the threshold from 'lightly buzzed' to 'let's get retarded in here' my alcohol snob gland stops working.

That makes sense.

I drink myself retarded all the time.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

It's made in Texas, and you should be able to find it at any good/wide selection liquor store. It won't be everywhere you go like absolut or goose, but you shouldn't have any problems finding it in your area. It's in upstate NY . . so it has to be pretty much everywhere.

geckahn on
    edited August 2007
    I generally shop at Safeway, and haven't seen it there yet, unfortunately.

MrMister on
    edited August 2007

Yeah, I'd try an actual liquor store.

geckahn on
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    malibu.jpg

+

midori.jpg

+

dolepinejuice.jpg

=

happy-face-happyface-smiley-300x300.gif

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
    edited August 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

Yeah, I'd try an actual liquor store.

Pffft expensive.

MrMister on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I read somewhere that cheaper stuff, at least in the realm of vodka, actually tends to fare better in blind taste tests.

Wish I could remember where I read that.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007
    I dunno, but Smirnoff runs its ads saying it won some blind taste awards apparently....

I have no idea.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dunno, but Smirnoff runs its ads saying it won some blind taste awards apparently....

I have no idea.
    regular Smirnoff tastes like ass.

Then again, I'm not a vodka person. I'm a rum/whiskey/gin/anything-but-vodka person.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX