As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Perfect Storm]y Weather

Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
edited October 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCG3kJtQBKo

ByPBn.gif

RFMVd.jpg

Google map of the End of Days.

Discussion and 48-hour outlook
at 500 am EDT (Tuesday)...0900 UTC...the center of Post-tropical cyclone
Sandy was located near latitude 40.5 north...and longitude 77.0
west. The Post-tropical cyclone was moving toward the
west-northwest at 15 mph...25 kph. A west-northwest motion with
reduced forward speed is expected today into western
Pennsylvania...with a turn north into western New York tonight.
The cyclone will move into Canada Wednesday.
Maximum sustained winds are near 65 mph...105 km/h...with higher
gusts. Steady weakening is forecast during the next 48 hours.
The estimated minimum central pressure is 960 mb...28.35 inches.
Hazards
wind...gale-force winds will continue early today over portions of
the mid-Atlantic states from Virginia northward through New
England.
Storm surge...even though water levels along the coast have been
subsiding...the combination of storm surge and the tide could
still cause normally dry areas near the coast to be flooded by
rising waters...especially during the next high tide cycle. The
water could reach the following depths above ground at the time of
high tide...
Pamlico and Albemarle sounds...2 to 4 ft
Delmarva Peninsula and Delaware Bay...2 to 4 ft
upper and middle Chesapeake Bay...2 to 4 ft
Jersey Shore northward to Massachusetts...1 to 3 ft
Surge-related flooding depends on the relative timing of the surge
and the tidal cycle...and can vary greatly over short distances.
The surge could be accompanied by large and dangerous waves along
portions of the coast exposed to the Atlantic Ocean. For
information specific to your area...please see products issued by
your local National Weather Service office.
Rainfall...rainfall totals of 3 to 6 inches are expected over far
northeastern North Carolina with isolated maximum totals of 8
inches possible. Rainfall amounts of 4 to 8 inches are expected
over portions of the mid-Atlantic states...including the Delmarva
Peninsula...with isolated maximum amounts of 12 inches possible.
Rainfall amounts of 1 to 3 inches with isolated maximum amounts of
5 inches are possible from the southern tier of New York state
northeastward through New England.
Snowfall...snowfall totals of 2 to 3 feet are expected in the
mountains of West Virginia with locally higher totals today
through Wednesday. Snowfall totals of 1 to 2 feet are expected in
the mountains of southwestern Virginia to the Kentucky
border...with 12 to 18 inches of snow expected in the mountains
along the North Carolina/Tennessee border and in the mountains of
far western Maryland.
Surf...dangerous surf conditions will continue from Florida
through New England for the next couple of days.

Rainfall totals
selected storm total rainfall in inches through 2 am EDT
...Washington DC...
Washington/National 4.11
...Delaware...
Milford 9.55
Dover AFB 8.46
Wilmington Arpt 4.17
...Massachusetts...
East Milton 2.87
Fitchburg (fit) 2.32
Nantucket Memorial Arpt 2.00
Bedford/hanscom field 2.00
Norwood Memorial Arpt 1.84
Worcester Muni Arpt 1.67
...Maryland...
Patuxent River NAS 7.90
Ocean City Muni Arpt 7.16
Salisbury rgnl Arpt 7.10
Baltimore science center 6.40
Annapolis - US naval Academy 6.29
1 NE Pimlico 6.44
Baltimore/Washington Intl Arpt 5.93
Hagerstown rgnl Arpt 4.11

...North Carolina...
Hatteras/billy Mitchell ap 6.26
Elizabeth City Muni Arpt 3.46
New Bern/Craven co. Arpt 2.34
...New Hampshire...
Jaffrey Muni Arpt 3.63
Nashua/boire field 1.98
Mount Washington 1.87
Manchester airpark 1.56
...New Jersey...
Wildwood Crest 11.62
West Cape May 9.37
Woodbine 7.82
Atlantic City 8.01
Estelle Harbor 6.57
Millville Muni Arpt 5.28
...New York...
Niagara Falls Intl Arpt 2.69
Jamestown Airport 2.46
Rochester/Monroe co. Arpt 2.19
Dansville Muni Arpt 2.13
Dunkirk Airport 2.06
Penn Yan Airport 1.74
Buffalo WFO 1.46
...Ohio...
Cleveland-Hopkins Intl Arpt 3.14
Ashtabula co. Arpt 2.77
Youngstown Muni Arpt 2.54
Wooster/Wayne co. Arpt 2.46
Lorain/Elyria 2.42
Akron/Fulton Intl Arpt 2.19
New Philadelphia/Clever field 2.04
Akron-Canton rgnl Arpt 2.04
Mansfield/lahm Muni Arpt 1.85
Zanesville Muni Arpt 1.53
Cleveland/Burke Lakefront 1.51
...Pennsylvania...
Ligonier 3.62
York Arpt 3.27
Johnstown/Cambria co. Arpt 3.22
Erie Intl Arpt 3.01
Connellsville 2.98
Du Bois-Jefferson County Arpt 2.95
Waltersburg 2.87
Clearfield-Lawrence Arpt 2.40
Philadelphia Intl Arpt 2.36
Altoona/Blair co. Arpt 2.36
Pittsburgh/Allegheny co. Arpt 2.35
Butler co. Airport 2.35
reading/spaatz field 2.32
Pittsburgh Intl Arpt 2.32
Pottstown Limerick Arpt 2.29
Lancaster Airport 2.29
Middletown/Olmsted 2.28
Harrisburg/capital city Arpt 2.20
Philadelphia/NE Phil. Arpt 1.93
...Rhode Island...
Pawtucket/north central St Arpt 1.32
...Virginia...
Oceana NAS/soucek 9.54
Wallops Island 8.40
Purcellville 7.89
Newport News/Williamsburg inl ap 7.31
Langley AFB/Hampton 7.17
Fort Eustis/Felker 6.71
Norfolk Intl Arpt 5.91
Washington/Dulles 4.78
West Point 4.15
Norfolk NAS 3.29
Wakefield Muni Arpt 2.92
Quantico mcaf 2.75
Richmond 2.39

...West Virginia...
Morgantown/Hart field 2.95
Springfield 2.77
Parkersburg/Wilson 2.01
Huntington/tri-state Arpt 1.98
Wheeling/Ohio co. Arpt 1.88
Martinsburg rgnl Arpt 1.73
Elkins/Randolph Field 1.63

Snowfall totals
...North Carolina...
6 N Bakersville 8 inches
6 NW Lansing 5 inches
4 NW Faust 6 inches
...Pennsylvania...
Mount Davis 9 inches
...Virginia...
1 E Tazewell 5 inches
...West Virginia...
Bowden 14 inches
Canvas 12 inches
2 S Coal City 12 inches
Summersville 10 inches
Elkins 7 inches
1 E Kitzmiller 6 inches
1 S Bluefield 6 inches

NYC Evacuation Zones (1030 EDT Monday)

A place to discuss our present apocalypse.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
Tiger Burning on

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Looks pretty for something so violent.

PSN: Honkalot
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Should be a fun storm.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    NYC is about to get trucked. Apparently Battery Park is already flooded.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Good luck everyone.

Quick hurricane tip from someone who lived in florida for a while: Don't attempt to bicycle home while holding a full sized portfolio while drunk on Hurricane during a hurricane. I speak from personal experience that the portfolio acts as a sail.

Wassermelone on
  • MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    I know the North East is less prepared for coastal flooding and surge then us here in Florida, but winds aren't even pushing 100 and its just barely a Cat 1. Sure its going to be a bad storm, but not the Stormageddon that is being hyped right now.

I lived in Florida in 2004. 4 of them, varying from Cat 2 to 4, all hit us, and 2 of them actually had their paths intersect 20 miles from my house. Shit got real.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That storm is impressive.

I was fortunate in that I only had to deal with the storm passing within 200 miles of my coastline, and 60mph gusts. Also, my mom's name is Sandy, so that was fun. "Gah... Sandy is such a bitch!" *Trollface*

Anyhoo, good luck to any PA mans and womans who have to deal with this shit.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    It's not really the wind that's going to be the issue though. It's more likely going to be all the rain combined with the storm surge that are probably going to cause the most issues. Widespread flooding can mess up cities pretty good, even if all the buildings make it through okay

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Marauder wrote: »
    I lived in Florida in 2004. 4 of them, varying from Cat 2 to 4, all hit us, and 2 of them actually had their paths intersect 20 miles from my house. Shit got real.

Yeah, that was rough. The school I was at in Sarasota evacuated three times. Sarasota is pretty well shielded by some natural barriers but was still pretty well affected during some of those. A 50 foot yacht was beached 20 feet inland half a mile from where I was living at the time during one of them. Good times.

On the other hand, Hurricanes can still be pretty destructive even at lower power levels. I lived in Houston during Tropical Storm Allison which absolutely wrecked the place. It decided to more or less hover over the coast while sustaining itself on the warm water of the gulf.

Wassermelone on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    It got to the point in 2004 where we just stopped taking the hurricane shutters down. Just left em up, and finally took em down in February...

What was it... Jeanne? The one tha went "NVM I'ma go out to sea." Then looped around all "LOL JK...prepare your anus."

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    It was either Jeanne or Francis, cant remember. But yeah, we were all like "Man, caught a break with that one" and God was like "Wait....Aren't these the assholes responsible for George W. Bush? REVERSE THRUSTERS MR. SULU!!"

Oh I know first hand, storm surge, downpour or "flash" flooding, and then sustained flooding from overwhelmed drainage systems causes something like 75% of all damage from hurricanes. I know its funny to watch weather people try to "Brave the wind for the story!" but wind aint shit. Just ask New Orleans.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I know the North East is less prepared for coastal flooding and surge then us here in Florida, but winds aren't even pushing 100 and its just barely a Cat 1. Sure its going to be a bad storm, but not the Stormageddon that is being hyped right now.

NYC is the most densely populated area in the United States with simultaneously the most sophisticated and the most vulnerable infrastructure.

For instance if the subways are flooded and the roads are impassable then that's what, 10 million people with no way to move around or get in and out? That sounds like stormageddon to me.

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    It's fairly awesome really. And not "awesome" in the colloquial "fuck yeah that's pretty rad" sense, but in the literal "generating a whole lot of legitimate motherfucking awe" sense. We like to think that, as undisputed masters of this planet, we're capable of exerting our will on our environment. We can carve a waterway out of solid rock. We can say "Fuck you" to the oceans. We can even peace out and give the whole planet the finger if we want to.

But here's nature to remind us that: no, actually, you're a bunch of insignificant meatbags, go huddle together in a cave and hope it's over soon.
    Total kinetic energy (wind energy) generated [by an average hurricane]: ... 1.5 x 10^12 Watts.

This is equivalent to about half the world-wide electrical generating capacity
    Total energy released through cloud/rain formation: ... 6.0 x 10^14 Watts.

This is equivalent to 200 times the world-wide electrical generating capacity

We are nothing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012

A) They don't have Florida's building codes or infrastructure to deal with this. CA people would be laughing at you freaking out about a M6.0 earthquake, except it would cause a ton of damage in Florida.

B) This storm is almost 1000 miles in diameter. This generates more storm surge - in every way except the wind, this is more like a category 3 storm.

a5ehren on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Irene landed as a tropical storm and still managed to wreck huge parts of Vermont. We're still repairing some of the damage.

Sandy hitting manhattan? I can't imagine.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    0pB0g.jpg

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The economic damage is also terrifying. Shutting manhattan down for days will be a huge hit to the national economy.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    23xMH.jpg
    FDR drive

cdp4y.jpg
    less than a mile from my apartment

qfBD1.jpg
    downtown altantic city

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Kind of annoyed that neither my university or the TTC don't have any notices up as to what happens when Sandy arrives (ie- is there going to be service disruption or no?). Sure, Toronto isn't New York City, but the storm is expected to pass by us and whip up waves (god I hope we don't flood, I'm actually close to the Lake for once), potentially snow, and 100 km/h wind gusts. Like hell if I'm expected to get to class tomorrow if the wind is busy uprooting trees.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Atlantic City literally is now Atlantic City.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Power is out in my neighborhood in RI for 3 hours now. Also, they are closing all the bridges.

steam_sig.png
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    always live on a mountain, it has natural resistances to flooding.

wind has picked up but not much more than that. If its raining right now, its light.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Mountains are getting blizzards/avalanches from this storm...

And for the dude living in Atlantis City, find high ground and stay dry!

I'm in MD and we just have a ton of rain/wind. For some reason I didn't actually get off work today, so I have to use vacation days to make sure that I don't have to sail to/from work. As for damage, we've got some kind of leak around a window and the drywall's got some minor bubbling. Fingers crossed...

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    saint2e wrote: »
    Atlantic City literally is now Atlantic City.

Namor/Aquaman 2016

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I'm in Western PA so I'm in that nebulous "I hope everyone is okay and I also hope some trees fall onto the roads so I get a few days off" area. Stay safe, everyone!

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

This isn't a normal hurricane, this is a hurricane fused with a Northeaster and it is massive. NEers are slow moving titanic monsters stay still forever and while rain will only be measured in inches and not feet with this one the sustained winds and tidal surges (tonight is a full moon even) will cause some incredible damage.

For an example of the size. Lake Michigan is expected to get 50+ foot tides because of this event. TOMORROW NIGHT.

The last time anything even close to this happened was the No-Name storm which barely glanced coastal NE and the flood damage from that was incredible. This monster is coming on land.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    power just flickered for the first time since I moved here.

I can see the high voltage lines from my place.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

This isn't a normal hurricane, this is a hurricane fused with a Northeaster and it is massive. NEers are slow moving titanic monsters stay still forever and while rain will only be measured in inches and not feet with this one the sustained winds and tidal surges (tonight is a full moon even) will cause some incredible damage.

For an example of the size. Lake Michigan is expected to get 50+ foot tides because of this event. TOMORROW NIGHT.

The last time anything even close to this happened was the No-Name storm which barely glanced coastal NE and the flood damage from that was incredible. This monster is coming on land.

Man I'm gonna have too see If I can get pictures of that. I'm only about a mile from the lake, and the park near it has pretty decent high ground.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I'm in Boston, powers been out for 3 hours. Strongish winds, mild rain. Can't imagine what NJ/NY are going through

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • YallYall Registered User regular

Will be interesting to see how lake Erie looks. Hoping WNY is spared the worst of it.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I'm in Boston, powers been out for 3 hours. Strongish winds, mild rain. Can't imagine what NJ/NY are going through

In JC right now its gettin really windy no power loss yet

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    good luck, people. hurricanes are serious business. it's pretty cool watching shit get wrecked though assuming your roof doesn't fly off in the process.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So I was watching Chris Christie give an agitated address about the storm. Apparently the mayor of Atlantic City told people to stay put after Christie told everyone to evacuate.

Why would he do that?

So I was watching Chris Christie give an agitated address about the storm. Apparently the mayor of Atlantic City told people to stay put after Christie told everyone to evacuate.

Why would he do that?

Putting aside his politics, I do sometimes enjoy his frankness. He basically said "you should have listened to me. We can't do shit for you. If you can still hear me, your own your own until dawn". Really underscores the gravity of the situation.

edited October 2012
    Dear god! Did any of you happen to see Bloomberg addressing the media? His sign language person was so animated and over the top, like nothing I've ever seen. My wife and I were full-on belly laughing for a good 5 minutes.

Edit; linkage http://www.ridethepine.com/funny/mayor-bloomberg-sign-language-interpreter/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mayor-bloomberg-sign-language-interpreter

Yall on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    She's injecting some much needed levity into this dire situation.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Yall wrote: »

Why would he do that?

Putting aside his politics, I do sometimes enjoy his frankness. He basically said "you should have listened to me. We can't do shit for you. If you can still hear me, your own your own until dawn". Really underscores the gravity of the situation.

I see Christie has been studying the Jeb Bush approach to hurricane management.

Good for him.

The only thing I can think of is if conditions were too dangerous to get from Atlantic City to the mainland (it's on a barrier island, correct?)

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Why would he do that?

Just heard him speaking, and you could tell that a) he was furious, and b) he knew there was nothing more he could do but tell people good luck and Godspeed.

It is

Why would he do that?

I see Christie has been studying the Jeb Bush approach to hurricane management.

Good for him.

The only thing I can think of is if conditions were too dangerous to get from Atlantic City to the mainland (it's on a barrier island, correct?)

I think so, but don't know about the conditions at the time the evac notice was given,

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    It's fine to be angry at the people who refused to evacuate because they thought they knew better than the government, but surely there are also individuals who didn't evacuate because they simply couldn't.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    It's fine to be angry at the people who refused to evacuate because they thought they knew better than the government, but surely there are also individuals who didn't evacuate because they simply couldn't.

No no, they are sacrifices to Poseidon now. The important thing is merely that we know who warned whom in a way that grants the warner political immunity from the disaster fallout later on.