As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Would this work? (getting my 360 on-line)

2»

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Just to point it out...

If you have a laptop with a wireless card, you can just attach the 360 to the laptop with an ethernet cord and get internet that way. I think it took me like 2 minutes of setting up some settings and it was all good.

Like I said before, I don't want to have to set up my laptop every single time I want to go online with the 360. I'd like to find a solution that I can set-up once, and then just leave it.

I know I seem very contrary, but I'm making a list of solutions y'all suggest, I promise. :D

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    http://www.dd-wrt.com is what I use (on my router, no need for bridge.)

hmmm...

I'm pretty sure that one of the routers lying around the house is a Linksys WRT54G. this might just work...

Evander on
  • Options
    Red LegRed Leg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can you explain (or link) how to set up that laptop-360 thing Raslin?

Red Leg on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Red Leg wrote: »
    Can you explain (or link) how to set up that laptop-360 thing Raslin?

I'd imagine it works just like regular connection sharing does.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/windowsics.htm

Evander on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    why are you ignoring all the xbox (regular not 360) play link suggestions? I just found one yesterday (in the exact same situation you are, including living with parents) and the play link works perfectly. Sale/Clearance? priced at circuit city for $20.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    why are you ignoring all the xbox (regular not 360) play link suggestions? I just found one yesterday (in the exact same situation you are, including living with parents) and the play link works perfectly. Sale/Clearance? priced at circuit city for $20.

Because we have a plethora of wireless phones in the house (not cell, land line) that all work over RF, and there is BOUND to be some interference somewhere. I don't want to fuck up phone conversations because of the connection, nor do I want to be disconnected every time the phone rings (even when I had dial-up, way back when, we always had a dedicated data line. I'm not dealing with that shit NOW.)

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Works perfectly. Evander, I have 3 cells phones (consider them voice only), wireless home phone, wireless router, and 6 devices hooked up wirelessly to the router. Play link worked perfectly and effortlessly. Router the play link is attached to is upstairs corner bedroom, 360 the other play link is downstairs in garage. I'd say 30ft, 2-3 walls.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Either way, if you see it for under $25 in a brick and mortar store then you should pick it up and try it out. If it interferes with your other items, then you can return it easily.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Works perfectly. Evander, I have 3 cells phones (consider them voice only), wireless home phone, wireless router, and 6 devices hooked up wirelessly to the router. Play link worked perfectly and effortlessly. Router the play link is attached to is upstairs corner bedroom, 360 the other play link is downstairs in garage. I'd say 30ft, 2-3 walls.

how many wireless home phones do you have, and where are they in relation to your play link?

My father went crazy with the things. There is LITERALLY one in every room except for the bathrooms and my bedroom.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Either way, if you see it for under $25 in a brick and mortar store then you should pick it up and try it out. If it interferes with your other items, then you can return it easily.

oh, if I see it at a B&M, sure.

It's just that I don't make random trips to the store much, so the chances of me "happening upon it" are slim to none.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sadly for comparison reasons I only have one. I think we use it mainly in the garage (where the play link is) and the base station is upstairs in the master bedroom. If you connected the dots between the playlink in the garage and the play link in the upstairs bedroom, and connect the dots with the phone and the base station it'd make a giant X, or a V.

edit- thinking about it the base station has a wireless phone, too, I think. it stays in the master bedroom though.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    run the damn cables through the cold air returns and such already

it might take a couple hours but then you're not dicking around with other solutions and you got a reliable hard line to it.

Again, not my place, and my folks would be opposed to it.

If I had the ability to take any of the simple solutions, they'd be taken by now.

at worst you'd have to unscrew a vent grate, and put it back after putting a cable through the large duct it serves.

no damage to house or anything that cant be undone

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    run the damn cables through the cold air returns and such already

it might take a couple hours but then you're not dicking around with other solutions and you got a reliable hard line to it.

Again, not my place, and my folks would be opposed to it.

If I had the ability to take any of the simple solutions, they'd be taken by now.

at worst you'd have to unscrew a vent grate, and put it back after putting a cable through the large duct it serves.

no damage to house or anything that cant be undone

i realize this

i've brought this up to the homeowners a while ago

they said no

case closed

Evander on
  • Options
    THF13THF13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    not sure if it's been mentioned but if you get a linksys wireless router or have one lying around like I did you can install DD-WRT firmware on it and use it as an ethernet bridge.

THF13 on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Just to point it out...

If you have a laptop with a wireless card, you can just attach the 360 to the laptop with an ethernet cord and get internet that way. I think it took me like 2 minutes of setting up some settings and it was all good.

Like I said before, I don't want to have to set up my laptop every single time I want to go online with the 360. I'd like to find a solution that I can set-up once, and then just leave it.

Is it really that big of a hassle? I mean, just plug your laptop into the 360, turn both on, and you're golden...

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118