As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

C++ Question (fstream and args)

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
More like arghs. This may be a simple question, but does anyone know why double-clicking the exe of my program creates the output file as expected while dragging files onto it doesn't? Here is my code for reference:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <fstream>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
		fstream output, input;
		string h = "this is a test";

output.open("CombinedList.csv", fstream::out);
		output.write(h.c_str(),h.size());

cout << "press any key...." << endl;
		cin.get();		

output.close();  

return 0;
}

I haven't gotten to the meat to this yet because I can't figure out why it's not creating a file when I drag files onto it.

Sir Carcass on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Huh, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    it's putting the file the current working directory, which is apparently different if you drag and drop a file onto the executable

Normally it'd be the same directory the program is in, but in the drag and drop case, a little bit of research indicates it would be your home directory (C:\Users\name or C:\Document and Settings\name) instead.

I'm a little curious why you are dragging files onto it if you're not actually looking at your command line, but perhaps that is a yet to be implemented feature for you.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Well that's a weird behavior.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I know the drag and drop functionality is working correctly because I can cause the program to print the paths and file names.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    End wrote: »
    it's putting the file the current working directory, which is apparently different if you drag and drop a file onto the executable

Normally it'd be the same directory the program is in, but in the drag and drop case, a little bit of research indicates it would be your home directory (C:\Users\name or C:\Document and Settings\name) instead.

I'm a little curious why you are dragging files onto it if you're not actually looking at your command line, but perhaps that is a yet to be implemented feature for you.

The ultimate point of this exe is to merge 4 files into 1. The 4 files will be changing each week, so I want to be able to just drag and drop the current 4 onto it. But yeah, I haven't even gotten that far yet.

I just checked, and yep, it's putting it in my users folder. How is that even a good idea.

Is there any way around that?

• Options
    Alternatively, put them into a folder and run a batch script like this:
    copy/b *.txt merged.txt

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Alternatively, put them into a folder and run a batch script like this:
    copy/b *.txt merged.txt

I also need it to strip out the first line from each file except the first one.

• Options
    Ah yes this would get complicated fast then!

• Options
    I'd do a ".\\CombinedList.csv" instead. Since I assume you're working on windows that should cheat it.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd do a ".\\CombinedList.csv" instead. Since I assume you're working on windows that should cheat it.

That doesn't seem to help, unfortunately.

If nothing else, I guess I can hardcode a location, but having it put in the working directory would be so much better.

• Options
    Ah yeah now that I think that might not work.

argv[0] should contain a path, but may not be useful. Unfortunately working with a file system is incredibly stupid with C++ at current unless you're using OS specific libraries or Qt/Boost.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    Yeah, argv[0] would have a path to the executable, but that isn't super reliable (although probably correct enough in this case). The GetModuleFileName() function will also do it, assuming you're on windows.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah that'd be what I'd use (windows.h should have it)

Though argv[0] can have relative paths. Which might be an issue with the drag and drop.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I assume you are working in windows? Because this seems like a problem which could be easily handled by a pretty trivial linux bash script.

• Options
    Yeah, this is in XP. I'll research the windows.h thing tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the help so far!