As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your Holiday Bonus is this [Job Thread]

MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Social Entropy++
So I thought it might be fun to start this version of the job thread on a positive note, so tell us what you're favorite thing about your job is.

Mine would have to be the fun tools we get to play with. I work with a lot of radar data, and I get a kick out of doing data reduction and analysis.

MortalToaster on

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Hard to say.
    I really enjoy my coworkers. Also like my IDE.
    aaaand being able to telecommute. That is awesome.

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Typically everyday, I'm learning new things, so that's also sweet.
    Working with a large system is also cool.
    Being able to see the website and say, I made that, is a good feeling

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Well I'm unemployed, so I guess the best thing about my job is

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Money and getting off work to be able to do things with said money.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I had a phone conference with several lawyers from a very large company

a company that is atypical from most of our clients (healthcare) because they are a big conglomerate and make everything from microwaves to TV shows that make fun of a company that makes both microwaves and TV shows

they are also atypical for using an alien language that I've never heard before and a bunch of needlessly fancy words, I assume because they are overtly pretentious, because none of our other fancy clients ever act like they do

i will be glad when this project is over, I do not particularly like them

I fucking hate suits.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Spent some cash money on some really handy tools that repackage exes as msis I can send out through group policy on our network. Makes things way easier for me rather than running around from workstation to workstation installing stuff, and will save a huge amount of time on provisioning new workstations.

Idiot Son barged into a closed door phone conference this morning in our conference room, in the middle of someone talking to ramble about needing help updating his GPS unit.

I'm pretty sure I tipped my hand when I shot him a Glare of Hate™ and said very tersely 'Yes. Just leave it on my desk. We are on a phone call.'

UUUUUUUGH.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    this time you should be the one to spit into his water bottle

or gps unit, whichever

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Working from home today on account of sandy and the subways being out and all. But there's not really much work I can do right now, since we're basically finishing up and debugging one of our projects and haven't quite started the next one yet, so I'm just relaxing unless some emergency email comes in.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    The guy just kind of waves his hands around whenever there's anything technology related. I don't think he's over 35. It's amazing how computer and technology-illiterate he is (also the regular-kind of illiterate, but I digress.)

It makes me sad.

I hate applying for jobs. There has to be an easier way to do this.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I like how relaxed my current job is. I've seen lots of movies I never had time for before in the past year and a half.

As for my job interview, it was canceled today due to weather so we're tentatively rescheduled for Friday.

godmode wrote: »
    I like how relaxed my current job is. I've seen lots of movies I never had time for before in the past year and a half.

As for my job interview, it was canceled today due to weather so we're tentatively rescheduled for Friday.

Even though I'm a slacker, I hate relaxed jobs. It always feels so hard to get motivated again once the work comes in.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The more I work the more I think I'm turning into this man:

Wally.png

What scares me is how badly I wish to embrace it.

The best part about my work is the cheap and available coffee that isn't as good as the coffee that I make at home, and costs more than the coffee I make at home, but it comes in a big paper cup with a sleeve that keeps me from burning my hand. I like the security.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

Even though I'm a slacker, I hate relaxed jobs. It always feels so hard to get motivated again once the work comes in.

I do hate the nights where I'm bored to death because there's nothing going on

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    mine is the people i work with

i do not really like what i do and i find it pretty boring, and am hoping to change things up sometime soon, but everyone i work with is smart and fun, and are people i would hang out with outside of work (and have done so)

definitely have some good friends from work

poo
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I am working on a project about breast cancer and I just sent an e-mail to the client where I had to type "dense breast tissue" and it changed it to "dense great tissue" as if.

1) breast wasn't a word
    2) "dense great tissue" is somehow a better phrase???

I have disabled OS X's spell check features for the remainder of the day.

Between working for a lingerie site and now working with breast cancer technologies, I'm spending a lot more of my professional life around boobs than I had suspected just five years ago.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I like the part of my job where it has absolutely no security because it is a start up and I have fuck all of an idea of how long the company will be around or how much they will pay me once I get them incorporated and capitalized.

• Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    Free coffee.

I got an email Sunday morning for an interview. The time they said I'm scheduled to work, so I emailed back and said I would try and move my shift but if not I'm free x and y days. Find out later in the day I can't move it, so I email again to let her know and confirm the times I'm available.

It's been officially 24hrs and no word back. I'm like sick with anxiety right now. Fuck.

I really like the relaxed job I have, but I know its bad for me. I need to be reading up and developing skills on the down time, but I have a ton of trouble being motivated to. I have no trouble getting to work when things come in, but I need to make better use of the rest of my time.

I like getting some tools to play with that I otherwise wouldn't be able to, and I certainly like being paid to learn skills and languages that I really aught to be doing anyway.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    My job is a good place to coast until retirement. Very difficult to get fired.

Unfortunately it is at least 12 years until early retirement age.

At least there is a pay check involved.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    2.5% raise! better than nothing, or less!

ikbUJdU.jpg

Become a modern day Robin Hood.

Meiz wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that guy gave to the poor, and not himself. And if he had to give to himself, it meant that he was poor.

Me, I'm trying to not be "the poor"

from what I can tell from the movies, 'giving to the poor' meant 'training and arming a terrorist organization'

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Meiz wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that guy gave to the poor, and not himself. And if he had to give to himself, it meant that he was poor.

Me, I'm trying to not be "the poor"

That's why I said "Modern day". I'd expect Robin Hood and his merry men to be at least able to not be poor and have a decent place. It could be like.... trickle down Robin Hood.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Robin Hood lived in a tree at one point, I don't think he was too well off.

One of my coworkers just relayed to another that he's thankful he voted early.

He then went on to talk in hushed tones about how Obama wasn't born in America, and how 'the blacks, mexicans, and muslims' have a secret plan to increase their population numbers so they can run the United States.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Liiya wrote: »

See? Yeah, these are the kinds of things I try to avoid.

That's why it's similar, yet different. Unless there was some other hero that took from the rich and gave to the poor while living a decent life that I don't know about.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

See? Yeah, these are the kinds of things I try to avoid.

Not too cosy!

now, hold on, Ewoks had pretty nice treehouses and they didn't have knowledge of metallurgy

I'm sure the unlanded gentry can do better than some teddy bears when it comes to tree houses

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Best thing about work is I don't have to attend for 32 days. Yay paid paternity leave!

Also, I realised after I left I forgot to turn on the out-of-office assistant. Oh well, everyone important knows I'm out of the office, and who to contact in my absence anyway.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I can't stop checking my email. Help.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I actually find myself liking my job more and more. I think I sabotaged an interview I had for another job, mainly due to knowing I'd be moving down a peg even if it was a regular job with actual benefits rather than a flimsy contract job.
    I got no less than 4 separate compliments from different people last Thursday for no particular reason.
    I would love a closer job with real benefits, but I'm doing well now.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Huh, work approved us getting to dress up for Halloween. I'm thinking of wearing a Superman shirt under my work shirt and leaving the shirt unbuttoned.

Spider-Man might work, too.

Spider-Man gets fired more frequently than all other superheroes combined. That's some bad karma.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I just got an e-mail about a job interview for March Networks on Wednesday! They're a really big tech company in the area and they're looking for a Mechanical Designer! It's a 2-5 year experience requirement and I come up short there, but I really do love doing engineering design work and it's an actual engineering job and aaaaaaaaah so nervous and excited

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I have an audit on Wednesday so no dressing up boooooo

But in the spirit of the OP I do have a rather rad job even if I do spend too much time at it sometimes

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Well, this place has been excellent about giving me enough time to take care of my health, setting my own hours, working from home.

We also sent the Democratic party scrambling last week because hey, your new Durbin-Frank-Dodd amendment tripled credit card fees, and so we told our 700k+ customers, "Hey, this amendment is why our transaction fees went up $0.13."

Next thing we know, Durbin's office is calling, he's writing and publishing a public letter, Romneys campaign is calling my CEO and asking if they can use the whole thing in advertisements...

easysig2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.