As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WINDOWS PHONE] Windows Phone 8. From Very Small to Sorta Small.

• WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    920 confirmed not coming to Telus or Bell in Canada which means I can't get it through work.

I was hoping to sell my boss on wp8 as an alternate to try out but unless another flagship wp8 device matches up I'll end up with Android unfortunately.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Can always hope that the HTX 8X ends up on one of those networks.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Lumia 820 and 920 confirmed as ATT exclusives. Next stop for me: heavy drinking!

Ouch. Time to watch the HTC models then, I guess, and see what they end up exclusive as.

I guess the silver lining here is that the idea of Microsoft making their own phone sounds a lot less baffling, now.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    But didn't we also get some really solid sounding information that Verizon would be getting a Lumia 822? Which would mean, yes, AT&T gets an 820 exclusively, but Verizon can technically still have one. I just want a 920 :(

steam_sig.png
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    Lumia 810 for T-Mobile

Well here's a new "exclusive" phone, this time on T-mo. Perhaps we'll see a Lumia 910 to go with it?

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The rumors about a Microsoft built phone should be picking up steam after this: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/09/microsoft-ceo-ballmer-braces-us-for-a-fundamental-shift/

H*R wrote: »
    Lumia 810 for T-Mobile

Well here's a new "exclusive" phone, this time on T-mo. Perhaps we'll see a Lumia 910 to go with it?

Well, if it had a keyboard I'd absolutely pick up one as a successor to my Venue Pro. All the same, it's still good to see it.

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    Here's a video (in French) of a guy using the Lumia 920. You see a bit more of the Windows 8 OS than has been previously seen in hands-on vids.

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/nokia-lumia-920-hands-on-video-release-date-early-november-26122/

Tough to figure out the "right" thread for this, but Microsoft sent me a "Welcome to Xbox Music" email that included a code for 1000 MSP. Really hoping that they don't shuffle me into a different subscription; I like my legacy Zune Pass + 10 songs a month plan.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Tough to figure out the "right" thread for this, but Microsoft sent me a "Welcome to Xbox Music" email that included a code for 1000 MSP. Really hoping that they don't shuffle me into a different subscription; I like my legacy Zune Pass + 10 songs a month plan.
    I got one as well. As I understand it, it's pretty much the same as Zune, but with more cool stuff.

Also, the 1,000 MSP is a nice touch.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I'm cool with that. They'll have to pry my 10 monthly song credits out of my cold dead fingers, though!

Dehumanized on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I haven't found a way to use song credits on Xbox music yet. Does it give the option if you hit "buy"?

edit: maybe not. I don't see the option there. Perhaps they can only be redeemed via Zune? That seems a bit worrisome.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    Xbox Music is rather lacking at the moment. No song ratings, no auto-playlists, no way to edit metadata or remove songs from the app library (without deleting them or removing them from the Music library as a whole), and playlists are limited to 1000 songs.

I'll probably stick with the Zune client until they add those back in, though I do very much like the cloud syncing features.

steam_sig.png
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I haven't found a way to use song credits on Xbox music yet. Does it give the option if you hit "buy"?

edit: maybe not. I don't see the option there. Perhaps they can only be redeemed via Zune? That seems a bit worrisome.

Yeah, through the Zune software only. I expect they'll try to sunset both within a year or so, and I will be very unhappy about both.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Xbox Music is rather lacking at the moment. No song ratings, no auto-playlists, no way to edit metadata or remove songs from the app library (without deleting them or removing them from the Music library as a whole), and playlists are limited to 1000 songs.

I'll probably stick with the Zune client until they add those back in, though I do very much like the cloud syncing features.

Yeah, I know I just HATE it when my playlists only go for two and a half days...

It's more of the way playlists are used as sync groups and filters than it is the actual length. Right now I use a "Rated" autoplaylist to sync all the stuff in my library that's (duh) rated to my phone - I have tons of stuff ripped from CDs or downloaded off Zune Pass, but I can't fit everything on the phone. I also want to be able to just double-click on the playlist, turn on shuffle, and not have to bother with skipping random things I don't like.

Playlists are the only way we have to filter stuff down right now, and since we don't even have ratings they're the only way to distinguish between "stuff I like" and "other stuff I have". The alternative is to use multiple playlists (which isn't necessary in the old software) or to delete/remove things from the library (which really shouldn't be necessary at all in the age of relatively cheap high capacity storage.)

It really just comes down to the software that's supposed to be the new replacement for an existing platform lacking core (even arguably basic) features that were available in the old version. To be fair, the same thing could be said about WP7 at launch, and I'm pretty sure they'll get around to patching in all this stuff sooner or later.

steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah of course, all that stuff will be back in quick smart.

To this day, I still don't use playlists. :(

The only time I did was when the 360 first introduced universal custom soundtracks--I made a few playlists for certain games, but that was it.

WP8 unveiling 10AM Pacific tomorrow. Should be exciting!

• H*RH*R Registered User regular
    That was a surprisingly lack luster unveiling. I still think WP8 might be my next phone, but the Nexus4 is pretty nice looking.

Kids Corner would save me a TON of headache though.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
    I really could have done without Jessica Alba.

Nice overview of the OS with 6 videos focusing on different aspects of WP8 using the HTC 8X: http://www.wpcentral.com/overview-and-review-windows-phone-8

edited October 2012
    Dehumanized on
    Microsoft has lowered the individual developer registration fee for AppHub to $8 for the next 8 days (down from $99).

The website seems to be down though.

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I am psyched for the Lumia 920, but WTF is Nokia doing with release dates? It's now november 11. I don't get it. Why can't they market the damn thing promptly? Every week in fall/winter they're not selling is a huge opportunity cost.

fwKS7.png?1
    edited November 2012
    It's uh, not November 11 for another 10 days. They've been targeting a November release, and we are less than one day into the month. Given Microsoft's unveiling timeline, it would have been literally not possible for them to release it before October 29 (you know, 4 days ago).

Dehumanized on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Anyone got a lead on any rumors of when Sprint might be offering a Win8 phone? Their customer support says they don't know more than 3 weeks in advance, and I'm gathering it's at least 2H 2013. Their only Windows phone is a $550 ruggedized model running WinMo 6.5.3.

Sprint is not participating in the Windows Phone 8 launch lineup at all. Time to jump ship.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    It's uh, not November 11 for another 10 days. They've been targeting a November release, and we are less than one day into the month. Given Microsoft's unveiling timeline, it would have been literally not possible for them to release it before October 29 (you know, 4 days ago).

It was more the fact Nokia confirmed it for launch on November 2nd in UK and other EU countries. Now this looks like to be pushed back again until the 11th and in some stores are even saying the 19th November now. Today was my first chance to try out a Windows 8 phone the 8X and the device feels really solid, my only gripe is that the camera seems to be very basic in the features dept. Something I know Nokia has created apps to download for the 920 and 820 but HTC seem to have missed out on.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The 8X looks pretty sexy. A solid consolation prize for those of us on Verizon. Any pictures of it in red?

edited November 2012
    Ziggymon wrote: »

It was more the fact Nokia confirmed it for launch on November 2nd in UK and other EU countries. Now this looks like to be pushed back again until the 11th and in some stores are even saying the 19th November now. Today was my first chance to try out a Windows 8 phone the 8X and the device feels really solid, my only gripe is that the camera seems to be very basic in the features dept. Something I know Nokia has created apps to download for the 920 and 820 but HTC seem to have missed out on.

There's two things going on with Nokia's camera -- I believe that Espoo is creating some Nokia "lenses", which is a kind of WP8 app that applies processing effects to your images (whether it be modifying the image or, say, uploading it to a service). Then with the 920, they are also shipping it with PureView. It's not quite the same thing as that ridiculous 44 megapixel camera that they had on that Symbian PureView phone, but what they've done is suspended the phone's camera on an array of stabilization springs, which allows them to reduce camera shake and leave the phone's shutter open longer to capture more light. The total effect is that the phone is great at capturing video and doing low-light photography.

As far as I know, the 820 variants don't have any of the fancy PureView springs, but will be getting whatever lenses Nokia prepares.

Dehumanized on
    Ziggymon wrote: »

There's two things going on with Nokia's camera -- I believe that Espoo is creating some Nokia "lenses", which is a kind of WP8 app that applies processing effects to your images (whether it be modifying the image or, say, uploading it to a service). Then with the 920, they are also shipping it with PureView. It's not quite the same thing as that ridiculous 44 megapixel camera that they had on that Symbian PureView phone, but what they've done is suspended the phone's camera on an array of stabilization springs, which allows them to reduce camera shake and leave the phone's shutter open longer to capture more light. The total effect is that the phone is great at capturing video and doing low-light photography.

As far as I know, the 820 variants don't have any of the fancy PureView springs, but will be getting whatever lenses Nokia prepares.

I understand the features of the 920 and its camera with Pure view and optical image stabilization features unique to this phone. But on the standard Windows camera application seems to really lack the features present compared to its android and iOS counterparts. Stuff like panoramas, spot metering etc.

Lumia 920 vs. Lumia 900 vs. Nokia 808 (the 41-megapixel pureview) vs. HTC One X. Pretty good in-depth look at the camera, especially when compared to all the reviews that have been floating around.

steam_sig.png
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    The Lumia 900 does panoramas stock. I haven't played with them all, but it has a handful of extra features over something like the Focus. I suspect the 920 will have that much more.

snm_sig.jpg
    Morskittar wrote: »
    The Lumia 900 does panoramas stock. I haven't played with them all, but it has a handful of extra features over something like the Focus. I suspect the 920 will have that much more.

An extract from the Engadget review states that Window Phone 8 OS doesn't have these features built into the system like Android and iOS has, but its the manufacturers that have to create applications for devices. Which is a shame when you have had the old Lumia phones and the Titan which had these features built in.
    Firstly, Nokia seems to be a bit limited as to how much it can bring to Windows Phone 8 camera UI. Load up the camera app (or hold the physical camera button) and you'll be greeted with a familiar camera interface -- it's simple, but a little sparse. Sure, compared to the all tweaks and options available to 808 PureView users, this might disappoint, but given that we were supremely impressed by that Symbian device's shots on auto, we weren't all that worried. Nokia's tried to amend this to some extent by adding its extra functionality through the Windows Phone 8's Lens system. Both from the Windows Phone marketplace (and from Nokia's own collection) you can install panorama functions, burst shot and even a GIF maker; these apps can be accessed both from the phone's program list and the arrow icon inside the camera UI.

I was really excited to purchase the 920 on its supposedly UK launch but its turned into a fiasco of no information from Nokia UK, Phones 4U and EE (of which they have become exclusive retailer and network of the device). Looks like it might be as late as the 19th before the 920 hits stores. Where it will directly compete with the Nexus 4 and have given the HTC 8X a 2 week window as the only new Windows phone.

edited November 2012
    Here's some confirmation that the Lumia 920 has a panorama lens:

wp_ss_20121103_0005-580x348.jpg

edit: Here's what cinemagraph does... takes a still image and stitches in animation to make a gif:

http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/WP_20121103_13_37_56_Cinemagraph.gif

Dehumanized on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So, the Windows phones play nice with iTunes and I can use my Apple Lossless music files on them? I might have to switch over if the iPhone 5s (or whatever they call the next iteration) doesn't bring something new to the table.

edited November 2012
    Not sure about Apple Lossless (what format is it? I don't use iTunes, so I really have no idea), but WP8 will ask if you want to use iTunes libraries for media management when you first sync it up to your computer.

edit: did some googling. Looks like Apple Lossless is m4a, which WP8 supports. Can't 100% confirm, though, given that I have no files in that format to test.
    You can also sync your device with iTunes, but you'll need to use Microsoft's desktop companion app to do so (available for Windows 7 and Mac; Win 8 has the feature built-in). In fact, this particular program is the only option Mac users will have if they want to connect the phone to their machine. When you dive in, the program first asks you if you want to sync iTunes or Windows libraries. If you choose the former, it brings up iTunes in a separate window and begins loading all of your music, pictures, videos, podcasts and ringtones. From there it's just a matter of picking and choosing what you want to toss into your phone. This alleviates one of the biggest concerns iOS users have had in moving over to Windows Phone, and it works seamlessly.

Dehumanized on