As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Traffic court advice- CA

jillahhjillahh Registered User new member
I'm looking for some advice on pleading not guilty on a speeding ticket I received a few weeks ago. Thanks in advance for your help!

First off, I was ticketed going 75 on a 65 mph freeway, I live in San Diego where 75-80 is usually the flow of traffic.

Next I'm a student and a first time offender, the ticket is for $350 or $418 if I complete traffic school. Ideally I'd like to get that waived or reduced..

Also, this happened on labor day evening where there were a lot more cops on the road than usual. I'm wondering if that is an angle to argue (ticketing being more aggressive than usual) or if that would upset the officers.

Any advice??

• Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Trying to argue that you should be excused from breaking the law because there aren't usually officers around to ticket sounds like a great way to piss off officers and the judge that is hearing your case. I live in California too and people driving stupid fast on the freeway near me is the norm but I don't do it because speeding tickets suck and I don't want to get one, I just move a couple of lanes over and drive the speed limit.

From what I hear (and I'm sure others will come to support this) if you show up to court dressed nicely and are apologetic and polite they may waive it or at least waive the point on your record. Your only other real option is to suck it up and pay and do traffic school, because you have no ground to stand on for arguing that you weren't doing something wrong.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Don't even mention the flow of traffic or the number of cops on the road. Neither of these are important, and like Melinoe says, they will just piss the judge off. Any attempt to argue that you shouldn't have been ticketed, or that you deserve a reduced fine, is going to backfire.

When you go to court, there are only three things you need to say:

1) You know you were in the wrong.
    2) You are sorry and you won't do it again.
    3) You want to pay, but you don't have the money.

You need to be polite, humble, and apologetic.

That said, you might be able to get this dealt with without even showing up to court. Call the court clerk, say the three things above, and ask them if there's any way they can reduce the fee.

They might just tell you to go to court, but it's worth a try.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    jillahh wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice on pleading not guilty on a speeding ticket I received a few weeks ago. Thanks in advance for your help!

First off, I was ticketed going 75 on a 65 mph freeway, I live in San Diego where 75-80 is usually the flow of traffic.

Next I'm a student and a first time offender, the ticket is for $350 or $418 if I complete traffic school. Ideally I'd like to get that waived or reduced..

Also, this happened on labor day evening where there were a lot more cops on the road than usual. I'm wondering if that is an angle to argue (ticketing being more aggressive than usual) or if that would upset the officers.

Any advice??

if you've had a clean traffic record in the last 18 months, doing traffic school would get your ticket dismissed, and the points for a ticket would not be put on your record.

yeah, paying $418 now sucks, but paying high driver's insurance premiums because of speeding points later will turn out to be much much more expensive.

just suck it up and do this route. http://www.idrivesafely.com offers a cheap course you can do online at home that is accepted by CA traffic courts.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I live in San Diego and work for the law enforcement agency you'll be dealing with in the court here and I can tell you that... basically you have no chance but you can give it a shot.

You were speeding and a law enforcement officer caught you. Arguing that there were too many cops around so it wasn't fair that you got caught since they aren't usually there definitely won't work. Arguing that everyone else was speeding too won't work.

Your only mild chance is just explaining that you didn't notice you were slightly exceeding the speed limit (since, to me, 75 mph vs 65 mph isn't all that different and I could see a person not really noticing for a moment), explain that you have never had a ticket and are a very safe driver, and just request some lenience for a first time offender that has otherwise always tried their best to uphold and respect the law.

Also, dress nice.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    $318 for 10 miles over? Holy shit! did he cite you for reckless driving or something?

pretty much with speeding tickets, the only recourse you have is to hope for a merciful judge, and like everyone said, be apologetic etc. in MD i know, as long as you have a clean record, you aren't getting points, but you will have to pay the full fine.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    California raised the fines on a number of things. I vaguely remember seeing a list for speeding and the amounts grew quickly for repeat offenses, think it was two grand for a third offense in whatever time period.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy