As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I attended the party.

2»

• Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When PCGamer had some huge thing on UO, I attribute that to my desire to really play it. Seeing pictures, reading the article, and that 'special' interview when the dude killed Lord British just all added to my excitement.

I also read this issue over, and over and over just for the UO stuff. I'd do anything to repeat my UO experience...

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh I and I think I have still have my "Videogame Players" magazine from '94 introducing the 32X.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lach wrote: »
    I remember watching the Star Fox 64 VHS they sent to Nintendo Power subscribers. I dug up a video fo that and I was transported to the day I paid almost $80 for the game (w/ Rumble Pak!) and beat it in one sitting. I spent the next few days unlocking everything and was totally over it. :/

I actually got a Pokemon VHS for Nintendo a few months before anyone in the states had heard of it (I wasn't even an NP subscriber, but I must be on some list somewhere, because over the years they've occassionally sent me random pieces of marketting.)

It had a preview of the GB games, and a clip from the "upcoming" american version of the cartoon.

I remember looking forward to Pokemon very much.

Evander on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to have an old EGM with previews for the PS2, XBox, Dreamcast... and Nintendo Dolphin. I wish I could find it...

Also, 2 old Xpert Gamer mags with a FFVIII walkthrough and later, preview for MGS2 (really really early preview) and something about Pokemon. So many damn Pokemon games I can't even remember which... might have been Stadium. Or Snap or something.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember the old EGM 1991 Video Game Buyer's Guide. That sucker got me so hyped up on the SNES, even though they dogged it so hard due to the anti-Nintendo vibe back then.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Three... long... years. That was the wait for Ocarina of Time. Oh God, the suspense...

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    I remember watching the Star Fox 64 VHS they sent to Nintendo Power subscribers. I dug up a video fo that and I was transported to the day I paid almost $80 for the game (w/ Rumble Pak!) and beat it in one sitting. I spent the next few days unlocking everything and was totally over it. :/

I actually got a Pokemon VHS for Nintendo a few months before anyone in the states had heard of it (I wasn't even an NP subscriber, but I must be on some list somewhere, because over the years they've occassionally sent me random pieces of marketting.)

It had a preview of the GB games, and a clip from the "upcoming" american version of the cartoon.

I remember looking forward to Pokemon very much.
    Me too, I'd completely forgotten about that! I remember thinking "Well that looks really, really dumb."

Darlan on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have to ask, why the hell did Nintendo call it the Dolphin at first?

Couscous on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember when I was a kid looking at the magazines, and every game looked so good and I wanted every one. I'd sit and read the same article twenty times over the course of a month. Even the ads.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I remember when I was a kid looking at the magazines, and every game looked so good and I wanted every one. I'd sit and read the same article twenty times over the course of a month. Even the ads.

I would do the same thing. God bless the internet.

Lach on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember just getting home from school, going to the computer, and looking up the big news at E3 '04. I'm looking, looking, and then see "Trailer for New Zelda". So I watched it. And after that, I had a retarded smile on my face for the next week.

Truly, the unveiling of Twilight Princess was epic. I still watch the clip from time to time, and always smile after viewing. The excitement growing from the crowd is palpable, and here, 3 years after being initially shown, played, and beaten, that is still my favorite videogame moment.

Graviija on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I never realized this before, but I think that the internet might be a big reason why I don't get as excited about games anymore. (Along with, obviously, my advancing age, and decreasing amount of leisure time).

Honestly though, I think a great deal of the excitement came from having to wait a month for each little kernel of news.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

I never realized this before, but I think that the internet might be a big reason why I don't get as excited about games anymore. (Along with, obviously, my advancing age, and decreasing amount of leisure time).

Honestly though, I think a great deal of the excitement came from having to wait a month for each little kernel of news.

Before the internet I used to make detailed spreadsheets (on paper) with info about games that I wanted to buy or rent with info like review scores and release dates.

Lach on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am once again reminded to wonder whatever happened to Machiavellian.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    I remember just getting home from school, going to the computer, and looking up the big news at E3 '04. I'm looking, looking, and then see "Trailer for New Zelda". So I watched it. And after that, I had a retarded smile on my face for the next week.

Truly, the unveiling of Twilight Princess was epic. I still watch the clip from time to time, and always smile after viewing. The excitement growing from the crowd is palpable, and here, 3 years after being initially shown, played, and beaten, that is still my favorite videogame moment.

Yes, that was awesome. The same thing happened to me when I saw the trailer and it is something I won't soon forget. The TP unveiling is the stuff legends are made of.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember reading about Comix Zone for Genesis and then being so psyched when I picked it up. Does anybody remember the commercial for that game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8oiIA1XwNo

Later on, like highschool, I remember reading about Z.O.E. and my friends and I basically following it up until release and spending all day playing, beating it, then playing the MGS2 demo for weeks. I still remember the pure joy I felt at being able to shoot the ice bucket over in the bar in the demo and then shoot the individual pieces of ice.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember reading a preview of the SNES console and the upcoming games, and I was so hyped about it. The (European) console looked sexy, the graphics were incredible, and there were new Mario and Zelda games coming out for it. Especially Zelda looked almost unreal, returning to the topdown view from the classic NES game but with such colorful and detailed graphics.

Also, reading about the Game Boy. What, a portable gaming device where you can switch out the games? Sounded too good to be true, but a while later I was drooling over the ad in the Nintendo magazine as I was waiting for my parents to pick me up from my aunt's and go buy me one of those little gadgets with Super Mario Land.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bombboy wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I remember when Nintendo would just randomly send out promotional materials for N64 games. I got a spy folder thing for Goldeneye and VHS tapes advertising Banjo-Kazooie and Starfox. All 3 games I had 0 interest in before the promo materials, and had rabid frothing desire to own afterwards.

The Goldeneye folio was GENIUS!!!! :!!::!!::!!:

The one that showed Mario 64 was incredible. After I got the 64 for Christmas I pretty much emulated the scenes where they show him playing with the analog movement and running in circles in front of the castle. Then I'm pretty sure that same video had a 'hidden' montage of a bunch of games, notably KI Gold. mmm.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Abso-frigging-lutely. That moment was... well, there's no other word to describe it other than the one you've already supplied.

It was epic.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I miss the Official Dreamcast Magazine in the UK. Free demo disc every month with demos and movies, plus the exclusive puzzle game Sega Swirl. They spent months getting me frothing at the bit for Metropolis Street Racer. And when it finally arrived? Every bit as good as they promised. Hell, the demo circuit where you could time trial one of the Tokyo circuits had me at the console for HOURS. First time I ever bothered using brakes in a driving game.

Great magazine. So few bother to grade games fairly so that you can actually see what really is worth buying or not, I hate the way that a 7 means a game you should be wary of. How did that happen?

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Man, I waited with barely bated breath for Fable. Damn was I excited for that game. Got caught up in the Molyneux Hype Machine (it was my first experience with Peter), and felt so let down when I got my copy in the XBrick and played it.

Heh, Black and White. Most disappointing party, EVER. Never going to molyneux's house again.

Oh HELL yeah. I was so hyped for Black and White, and the payoff... so disappointing.

Black and White was actually probably the last game I ever really got excited for. I tend to be hopeful that games are going to be good, instead of actively thinking that they will be good, and getting excited for them beforehand. I was especially cynical over Fable...

My favorite moment? Probably the original unveiling of Halo. I was listening to that Macworld keynote over streaming audio over dialup, and when I heard Bungie was announcing its new game I nearly shat myself. The music was so awesome, and I couldn't see it... I spent hours downloading the footage as soon as I could find it, and wasn't disappointed - for the time, the graphics in the trailer were absolutely mind-blowing, and overall it was probably one of the most well done and cinematic announcement trailers - well, ever. (I should upload some of my collection of obscure Bungie videos to Youtube sometime...)

(Probably another traumatic moment for me was when it was officially announced that Microsoft had bought Bungie - I had heard the rumors and didn't want to believe it at first - I actually seriously considered going in the backyard and burning all my Bungie stuff. God, I was such a drama queen... I've mostly gotten over myself now.)

rufo on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Daggerfall. Back then there was a magazine about pc games in our country (which, like most magazines from that time, doesn't exist anymore) that had a 2 page spread about the game. I would read the spread several times thinking about all the cool things I could do in such a game. I'd constantly marvel over the screenshots. Then we went on summer vacation to the UK. While we were in Glasgow, I spotted the game (25 pounds) and me and my brother purchased it. We spent the rest of the week or two over there going through the manual a dozen times, writing down what our characters would be like, picking out the approriate skills and coming up with cool character names.

The most time I spent with a game manual before playing the game ever :P

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yes, that was awesome. The same thing happened to me when I saw the trailer and it is something I won't soon forget. The TP unveiling is the stuff legends are made of.

I remember coming home from absolutely BOMBING a chem exam in college, when I hopped on the forums for some E3 goodness. I believe (read: I remember without a doubt) that the thread title was "CELDA NO MORE."

That was just the first change of pants. The trailer yielded 5 more.

EDIT: The exam results mattered not after that. In fact, I didn't remember what chemistry even WAS after watching that trailer/hearing the crowd go apeshit/seeing Miyamoto with sword and shield.

EDIT #2: Might as well share with those who didn't see it....if that's possible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtIY2jWosmE&mode=related&search=

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "They're making a sonic the hedgehog 2?!"

And thus the year long wait began.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I remember reading Nintendo Power and they had an article on some strange phenomenon in Japan called Pocket Monsters. I remember thinking "this is really weird. How on earth did it get popular?"

A while later, closer to Pokemon R/B's US release, NP had "Pokemon Power" mini-mags in each issue. With each one I read, the more my frothing demand for Pokemon increased. I knew I HAD to buy this game, even though no one else I knew had heard of it.

And then a month later Pokemania exploded.

A similar thing happened with guitar hero. I liked Harmonix to begin with, and I was psyched when I saw the E3 2005 footage. I really didnt think it was going to be as popular as it is.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There was one article in an issue of PC Gamer reviewing Myth II. I've never had a subscription to the magazine, that was just something my dad picked up out of the blue. Boy am I glad he did.

Masonite on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Halo 2.
    'Nuff said.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I was just talking about the movie 'The Wizard' last night with some friends. Man, I remember coming home from the theater, being so incredibly pumped about Super Mario Bros. 3. Not to mention the Power Glove, which I thought would be the future of gaming.

Almost two decades later, turns out I was right.

Nickle on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Back in elementary school, I must have read the issue of Gamepro that had a feature on all four home versions of Mortal Kombat 2 about ten thousand times. Ditto the two issues that had a feature laying out the tiers of all the characters and listing their special moves and fatalities.

I still have the extremely worn copy of Electronic Games that has the preview for Sonic 3 in it. I don't know if I've ever anticipated a game as much as that one.

In high school, I devoured promotional material for the Dreamcast. I'd buy any magazine that had anything remotely DC-related on the cover.

I still enjoy my old issues of GameFan. I loved that magazine. Tons of screenshots and fun articles that weren't always just about new games (I remember a cool Magician Lord write-up in an issue from the late 90's).

shyguy on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JLM-AWP wrote: »

I remember coming home from absolutely BOMBING a chem exam in college, when I hopped on the forums for some E3 goodness. I believe (read: I remember without a doubt) that the thread title was "CELDA NO MORE."

EDIT: The exam results mattered not after that. In fact, I didn't remember what chemistry even WAS after watching that trailer/hearing the crowd go apeshit/seeing Miyamoto with sword and shield.

EDIT #2: Might as well share with those who didn't see it....if that's possible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtIY2jWosmE&mode=related&search=

I watched the live feed. I think I started yelling and cheering.

I sometimes load it up on Youtube, and the part where the audience clues in and there's this rising ROAR brings literal tears to my eyes.

edit: This video captures the uproar a bit more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrsK8ICp8E&mode=related&search=

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    SilverWind wrote: »
    JLM-AWP wrote: »

I watched the live feed. I think I started yelling and cheering.

I sometimes load it up on Youtube, and the part where the audience clues in and there's this rising ROAR brings literal tears to my eyes.

Me too. Everytime.

Also: Goosebumps

Nickle on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a copy of 7th Guest that came with a documentary on the company that made it. Trilobyte, I think.
    I couldn't get the game to run at first so, in the days I spent trying to figure out what arcane lines to throw in and out of my autoexec.bat and config.sys, I watched this video. I was so hyped.

The game was pretty cool...but I recently stumbled across this documentary, watched it and felt so badly for all the excited developers in it.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That video is the only reason why I am angry I will never get to go to E3...

Local H Jay on