As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Perfect Storm]y Weather

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    That was sarcasm, by the way. Human life is always more important than this game of political "I told you so."

Send some choppers, send some boats, parachute down in your size 55 pantaloons. Do anything other than cover your own ass.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    That was sarcasm, by the way. Human life is always more important than this game of political "I told you so."

Send some choppers, send some boats, parachute down in your size 55 pantaloons. Do anything other than cover your own ass.

I'm assuming his ire was not for those who were incapable of heeding the warnings. That or he's just super pissed that without a full evacuation, he cannot fully pillage all of those taffy shops that dot the boardwalk. ;)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm under the impression Christie waited the longest before declaring a state of emergency, so he's not above putting politics in front of storm preparedness.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    For those still with internet/power on the east coast, Sandy is now just a post tropical storm. So uhh good for ya?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What I want to know is who thought it was a good idea to sail the HMS Bounty out when a hurricane was right nearby with a crew of only 16 on a ship which originally was supposed to have over 100.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    we still have power and everything its gettin mighty windy tho

• Options
    Getting windier in Buffalo as well. Should hit the apex around midnight.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Yea, Toronto's getting much windier now and the rain's starting to pour in.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    ...Although apparently I'm now reading that flying debris has already killed one woman in Toronto. Which, having been outside just a couple hours ago before things got worse, makes me much more comfortable for being indoors now.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think the system might cause some rain here in SE Michigan. That's insane.

The other half of it that's colliding with Sandy itself has us under a severe wind warning.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    For those still with internet/power on the east coast, Sandy is now just a post tropical storm. So uhh good for ya?

I still have power and winds have been 50+ here for hours. This makes up for Irene where I lost it right away and got it back about a week later!

Also downgrading this storm really has no meaning on just how much of a wrecker it is. High tide is insane!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Preacher wrote: »

My understanding is that it just means the eye has decayed. Still sustained winds that are category 1 level and gusts well over 100 mph and a TON of precipitation. Forecasts as high as five feet of snow in West Virginia.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    latest.jpg?1351558202
    looks like everything south of 35th st has power out  cept empire state building

poo
  • Options
    Storms are so beautiful.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    lights have flickered like 5 times now. still staying on, though. a bunch of my neighbors are dark.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I heard that they were cutting some of the power in Manhattan. Guess the battery was up almost 9 feet last I heard.

Stay safe East Coast folks btw.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    tree just came down on my street. luckily collapsed outwards so it didn't hit a house. my street's officially impassable. hope that tree's heavy enough it doesn't get blown around.

• Options
    Ooh I just entered into one of those eerie calms. Gonna go check outside for a bit.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Winds have died down in Boston. Rain has picked up, but it's essentially just a medium rainstorm. Power just came back after being down 8 or so hours. Hope you all don't get any worse than us

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    go back inside go back inside go back inside

• Options
    God damn I can see the moon.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    isn't the calm part the part in the very center?

• Options
    Nah looks like it is down to just occasional rain for me.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The economic damage is also terrifying. Shutting manhattan down for days will be a huge hit to the national economy.

yeah, but the architecture industry is salivating currently.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Yup, the calm is the eye usually.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

There's not really a center anymore, I don't think. That's why it's not a hurricane anymore.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    What the fuck does it even look like

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    All of jersey city power is gone

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    It's fine to be angry at the people who refused to evacuate because they thought they knew better than the government, but surely there are also individuals who didn't evacuate because they simply couldn't.

But how many people were going to evacuate but chose not to after their mayor said to hunker down?

That's what I'm pissed about. Some people are not going to evac no matter what, but government should have been trying to get as many people out as possible, and while I'm not a Christie fan politically, the governor is the superior authority and certainly the one in charge of disaster management and I'm simply wondering if the mayor of AC had a really exceptionally good reason for giving conflicting instructions.

If he does... I'd love to hear what they are.

• Options
    What I want to know is who thought it was a good idea to sail the HMS Bounty out when a hurricane was right nearby with a crew of only 16 on a ship which originally was supposed to have over 100.

Whoever made that call is responsible for those deaths. The talking heads on the news were saying the ship is safer at sea than in port, and while that is no doubt true, the people were assuredly safer on land and who the fuck cares about the ship vs. peoples lives?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Whoever made that call is responsible for those deaths. The talking heads on the news were saying the ship is safer at sea than in port, and while that is no doubt true, the people were assuredly safer on land and who the fuck cares about the ship vs. peoples lives?

Agreed. There are plenty historical accounts of ships like that making it through worst hurricanes fine, but those ships had full crews that could pump the ship and tend the sails and such. 16 people is insane.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Lights in Brooklyn have been flickering a bit but (fingers crossed) no power outage yet.

One silver lining to these storm clouds is that thanks to near-constant press conferences by Mayor Bloomberg, I am now one of many people with huge crushes on his incredibly emotive sign language interpreter.

Plus, hearing him mangle Spanish makes me feel better about me no puedo conversar en Espanol.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012

Agreed. There are plenty historical accounts of ships like that making it through worst hurricanes fine, but those ships had full crews that could pump the ship and tend the sails and such. 16 people is insane.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/30/storm-sandy-bounty-idUSL1E8LT1Q320121030

Ship Sank, everyone but the captain has been pulled to saftey
    A Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter later recovered crew member Claudene Christian, 42, who was described as unresponsive, while continuing to search for the 63-year-old captain of the ship, which sank in 18-foot (5.5 meters) seas.

Christian taken to Albemarle Hospital in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, where a hospital spokesman said she was in "critical condition."

The crew of the Bounty took to life rafts about 90 miles (145 km) southeast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina when the vessel began to take on water about 160 miles (260 km) from the storm's eye, the Coast Guard said.

The three-mast, 180-foot (55-meter) ship, built for the 1962 movie "Mutiny on the Bounty," sank after water pumps apparently failed.

As the 16 crew members were abandoning the Bounty wearing cold-water survival suits and life jackets, the final three on board were washed overboard, said Coast Guard spokesman Chief Nyx Cangemi, relaying eyewitness reports from the search and rescue team. One of them was pulled onto a life raft but the other two remained at sea, he said.

Veevee on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Waiting to donate to a relief fund. Is there one already up, or is that premature?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/30/storm-sandy-bounty-idUSL1E8LT1Q320121030

Ship Sank, everyone but the captain has been pulled to saftey
    A Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter later recovered crew member Claudene Christian, 42, who was described as unresponsive, while continuing to search for the 63-year-old captain of the ship, which sank in 18-foot (5.5 meters) seas.

Christian taken to Albemarle Hospital in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, where a hospital spokesman said she was in "critical condition."

The crew of the Bounty took to life rafts about 90 miles (145 km) southeast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina when the vessel began to take on water about 160 miles (260 km) from the storm's eye, the Coast Guard said.

The three-mast, 180-foot (55-meter) ship, built for the 1962 movie "Mutiny on the Bounty," sank after water pumps apparently failed.

As the 16 crew members were abandoning the Bounty wearing cold-water survival suits and life jackets, the final three on board were washed overboard, said Coast Guard spokesman Chief Nyx Cangemi, relaying eyewitness reports from the search and rescue team. One of them was pulled onto a life raft but the other two remained at sea, he said.

The woman they pulled out of the ocean couldn't be revived.

Barring a miracle rescue of the captain, that means two dead by my count.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Winds have died down in Boston. Rain has picked up, but it's essentially just a medium rainstorm. Power just came back after being down 8 or so hours. Hope you all don't get any worse than us

MBTA service should be restored for tomorrow too.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Lights in Brooklyn have been flickering a bit but (fingers crossed) no power outage yet.

One silver lining to these storm clouds is that thanks to near-constant press conferences by Mayor Bloomberg, I am now one of many people with huge crushes on his incredibly emotive sign language interpreter.

Plus, hearing him mangle Spanish makes me feel better about me no puedo conversar en Espanol.

omg she's great

• Options
    Lawndart wrote: »

She's been the highlight of the storm. I can see her being parodied on SNL this weekend.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    The crew member pulled from the water has been reported as dead.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    304402_10151221953253812_2024188336_n.jpg

Don't, uh, take the elevator.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg