As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a *cheap* Android tablet.

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
Would this be any good? I'd really like one that I can use my Wii remote with, so it needs Bluetooth. :)

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Wait until next week. Google was going to do a big announcement on Monday about their new tablets, but delayed it due to the storm. They're probably going to be announcing a new $100 Nexus tablet.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Wait for the Google announcement Thanatos is referring to. Then depending on what comes of that and your needs, get a Nexus 7 or the rumored new $99 tablet.

Do not buy cheapo shitty off-brand tablets like the one in your link. Especially ones with only 4GB of storage space.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There's speculation that they may announce a Nexus 10 as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    No $99 tablet yet, it seems. But they did slash the price on the 16GB N7 now that the 32GB one is out. 8GB model discontinued?

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Seems so, which is pretty lame. My N7 8gb version is like 3 months old.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    They should have just slashed the 8GB N7 to $99. It would have been irresistible to fence-sitters then.

But in any case, @Iceman.USAF, if you like your 8GB and the storage is sufficient for you, there's no reason to be upset. It's not like it's a weaker device than the 16 and 32 in any way besides capacity. 8-)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I think a $100 N7 is unlikely. They're probably OK with selling hardware at cost, but they aren't going to pay you to buy their stuff.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So, as much as I would love a Nexus 7, I can't afford one at the minute. Should I just go ahead and get the one I linked earlier?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do you need one so much that you can't wait until you can afford something better? The one you linked seems pretty crappy.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Better to save your money that you have now and buy a nexus 7 sooner

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I'm in a similar situation. My laptop died and I'd like to get a tablet to replace it but a $200 machine is out of the question. A friend of mine has one that he got from Big Lots at something on the order of $100 that's working pretty well for him. I'll see him today and see if I can figure out what brand it is.

I've found a cheap tablet in my searching that seems to have decent reviews except that it apparently can't use the Google app store but instead has some third party generic app store. Can anyone tell me exactly what this would mean as far as getting and using popular software on this tablet? Keeping in mind that I know absolutely nothing about how anyone's app store works.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Tarnok, an app store (except for corner cases) is how you are supposed to get programs for your tablet. Without one (or without a major one) installing everything by copying it from your PC is a major hassle. Assuming, of course, that the version of Android on your tablet even allows sideloading.

For the OP, save up for a good tablet. Spending money now on a bad tablet is a waste. If you are desperate or in a hurry get a (original) Kindle Fire. It has no bluetooth or camera, but everything else is nice and it runs Cyanogenmod 9 (generic Android OS) if you don't mind spending a lot of time doing that.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    So, as much as I would love a Nexus 7, I can't afford one at the minute. Should I just go ahead and get the one I linked earlier?

The 16GB N7 is now priced what, $100 or so above the POS you linked to? Do you have to have something right this minute? Or as @Great Scott mentioned, the original KF is $159 (under 100 pounds your pricing) and will be immeasurably better than than a "Senua," unless bluetooth is the only thing you care about.

Save your money for a week or a month and get something decent. Don't throw your money away on junk where the only review is from some lady buying it for a 10 year old. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it's a bargain.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    US prices don't convert directly to the UK, by the way.

The going rate for a Kindle Fire at the moment is about £110 ($176) from iffy-looking ebay sellers, and about £120-130 ($192-208) from anywhere reputable. The HD is about £200 ($320).

The 8Gb Nexus 7 is about £150 ($240), and the 16Gb about £200 ($320).

• Options
    japan wrote: »

The going rate for a Kindle Fire at the moment is about £110 ($176) from iffy-looking ebay sellers, and about £120-130 ($192-208) from anywhere reputable. The HD is about £200 ($320).

Still well worth the money. I don't think I'd use the thing OP linked to if you gave it to me for free.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I was going to hack whatever I ended up with anyhow. I didn't realise the KF supported CM. Does it have blue-tooth?

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

Still well worth the money. I don't think I'd use the thing OP linked to if you gave it to me for free.
    TIDfG.jpg

• Options
    No, the original KF does not have Bluetooth.

I'm not trying to be harsh, @Zilla360. It just seems like (no offense) you don't know too much about Android tablets and I (and others in the thread) want you to have a good experience and make a good investment with your money. And cheap off-brand Android tablets are a serious pet peeve of mine because they flood the market and confuse consumers and give the whole platform a bad name. Drawback of being an open platform, I guess.

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I was going to hack whatever I ended up with anyhow. I didn't realise the KF supported CM. Does it have blue-tooth?

It does not. While the radio and chip are present on some (not all) Kindle Fire motherboards, the Cyanogenmod team hasn't figured out how to enable it. It might be a hardware support problem. That said, I am running CM9 (from the Forums, not an official build) and it's flawless other than needing a 3rd party Brightness control (CM9 controls stop before the dimmest backlight settings are reached).

One note about the KF, it has hardly any RAM, so multitasking can get odd. If I switch away from Opera to another app and switch back I usually have to reload all the tabs from scratch. It's not a big deal for me but would be a pain for massive multitaskers.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.