As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If you could change your Race.

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I could use some high cheekbones and tannable skin, most definitely. Because those things are objectively hot. It's statistically true.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Leitner wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure albino isn't a race.

It's not, it's a mutation in which you produce no skin pigment I'm almost certain.

Just to confirm, when I say "I'm pretty sure", it's usually a nice way of me saying somebody is objectively wrong.

Not you, of course, but whoever I was replying to at the time.

Bob The Monkey on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm pretty sure albino isn't a race.

It's not, it's a mutation in which you produce no skin pigment I'm almost certain.

Just to confirm, when I say "I'm pretty sure", it's usually a nice way of me saying somebody is objectively wrong.

Not you, of course, but whoever I was replying to at the time.

I suspected that I was just clarifying on the off chance you weren't.

Leitner on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd either stay white or go Greenskin. It's time for WAAAAAAAAGGGH!

Snarfmaster on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd be a tiger.

moniker on
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    I'd be a tiger.

catman.png

Would you really?

Low Key on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd have it display my current desktop picture.

But yeah, if I were restricted to "race" stuff.... probably just go for darker skin, stop worrying about horrible burning. The basic options are boring, though. I'd want skin that I could change constantly, like Girl One.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited July 2007
    Ew. No.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    I'd be a tiger.

catman.png[IMG][/img]Would you really?

I didn't say a furry, I said a tiger. Although I would miss my thumbs. These things are awesome.

moniker on
    edited July 2007
    So you probably want to be of the thundercat race rather than the tiger race.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    I'd be a tiger.

catman.png[IMG][/img]Would you really?

I didn't say a furry, I said a tiger. Although I would miss my thumbs. These things are awesome.

A tiger with thumbs would be terrifying

Low Key on
  • telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I notice that a few people are calling themselves part-german, part irish etc etc. I'm pretty interested as to how far back this heritage is. I ask this because I'm sure my ancestors, once upon a time, came from Scotland and England primarily (and I think there's a few Irish as well), but I wouldn't describe myself as anything other than Australian.

So is this, say, your parents are from these parts, or does it go back further?

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    telcus wrote: »
    I notice that a few people are calling themselves part-german, part irish etc etc. I'm pretty interested as to how far back this heritage is. I ask this because I'm sure my ancestors, once upon a time, came from Scotland and England primarily (and I think there's a few Irish as well), but I wouldn't describe myself as anything other than Australian.

Parents/grandparents. I agree that it's pretty silly to talk about how you consider yourself part X when it's generations ago and you haven't even set foot in the aformentioned country.

Leitner on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I would just have what ever genes are making weight loss a bitch turned off.

I'm some sort of freak who is Nerd White and can stay out in the sun for hours without ill effects, so changing to something with darker skin wouldn't be beneficial.

MKR on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't change a thing.

On the subject of tanning I consider my ability to do so a clear sign of my genetic superiority over my siblings.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd be a Persian because I want to drive a BMW, wear smelly cologne, plus treat my girlfriends like shit and it would be socially acceptable.

I kid I kid... I wanna be whatever race Michael Jackson is!

LondonBridge on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok I've just realized I haven't been thinking about this right. The ability to change your race implies the ability to vary facial bone structure, skin feel etc.

In that case, there would be a whole grab bag of properties I'd like to add to myself. I'd probably go for slightly darker skin, give my eyes a little more Asian heritage (not sure which country I'd go for) and probably modify my chin in some way because hey you've got to do that.

The ability to change race is actually the ability to have really awesome plastic surgery.

electricitylikesme on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Parents/grandparents. I agree that it's pretty silly to talk about how you consider yourself part X when it's generations ago and you haven't even set foot in the aformentioned country.
    In my experience it's very much an American thing, it seems very strange to a lot of us outside of the US but I think it's definitely interesting to know where your roots lie, especially if you're in a young country. My mum traced her family tree back to something like 8 or 9 generations and all but maybe 2 or 3 of the people on there were from the same county, let alone country or racial group. How dull.

Isn't there a somewhat shakey fact that if you (a european) go back X number of generations you'll have a common ancestor with 90% of everyone in Europe or some shit like that? Sound very questionable to me but it's ringing a bell in my head.

SUPERSUGA on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

In my experience it's very much an American thing, it seems very strange to a lot of us outside of the US but I think it's definitely interesting to know where your roots lie, especially if you're in a young country. My mum traced her family tree back to something like 8 or 9 generations and all but maybe 2 or 3 of the people on there were from the same county, let alone country or racial group. How dull.

Isn't there a somewhat shakey fact that if you (a european) go back X number of generations you'll have a common ancestor with 90% of everyone in Europe or some shit like that? Sound very questionable to me but it's ringing a bell in my head.

If you're English, living in England, I imagine the way it goes is "well, on my Dad's side, I'm English, and on my Mom's side...I'm English."

For our family (and my dad's the only one who's ever cared to look into this even at all), there are no records, for any branch, in Europe. All we've got is when branches started coming to America. I know the Germans came in around the 1880s, Irish probably similar, with a few English branchs going back to pre-Revolution days.

And if you go back something like 10,000 years, you'll have a common ancestor with everyone on the planet.

Scooter on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think you guys might find (fictional) "The Changeling Plague" an interesting read.

Essentially there is a pandemic virus which causes peoples DNA to mingle and mix just by being too close to one another. This caused peoples hair color, eye color, racial features and bone structure to change.

Everyone became a mutt essentially, and it showed. The kids take it even further and start going for mody modification to increase muscle mass / reflexes etc. Even some cross species DNA mods like scales, fangs, claws, poison glands and wings.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I prefer the 150cc, myself.

Fencingsax on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Australia is a younger country than the US, and it is rare as can be. I'm not sure it has to do with the youth of your country as opposed to being a speicifc cultural quirk.

Apothe0sis on
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My question is you consider yourself X and Y but if you do not embrace or practice the culture that really do not make you X and Y, more like you came from X and Y.

Like my case my parents are from Mexico, but I grew up heavily in USA, hardly really knew the country only for small trips every three years during my childhood, so knew the country for like 3 months. I may go that my parents are from Mexico but I am from US. Just my 2 cents on the race.

And to answer op question, I want to be Cthulhu. YEAH!!!

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Since the thread is about changing appearance and not race in general (all the other things which go with being of a certain race besides skin color), I would assume most people would tend to make themselves more conventionally attractive. Perhaps when that becomes too common, people would all try to be exotic, but I suspect all the changes will be like those of today; a tendency towards a certain ideal of beauty. Our cultural perception of beauty will be totally different than today's, but our genetic conception of beauty will likely remain largely unchanged (ok maybe sexual selection will play a huge role, hell if I know). Which component will dominate action beats the hell out of me.

If the technology is sufficiently accessible and powerful, people would likely change their appearances frequently, like clothes. Maybe we would develop facial/physical styles to match our hair and clothing styles.

If the technology is rare or limited, people will likely change towards the race they think will afford them the most advantage at the time. Maybe future sushi chefs would want to look Japanese for reasons previously stated. Hopefully switching races for temporary advantage would be eliminated by the elimination of racism on a widespread scale. When we can switch races constantly, one would hope that racism would be eliminated--although I guess one could argue that race goes below skin deep.

valiance on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm more than happy being pureblood Irish.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My family got it good. A good mix of native american and german.

Whats this mean?

It means my dad is a cop, and his skin is dark enough that when he pulls a guy over, and the guy is all, "YOU ONLY PULLIN ME OVER CUZ IM BLACK!" my dad can say, "Man, do I look white to you?" and the driver is all, "Oh.. right"

But still white enough to get free money from the banks

CangoFett on
  • RecoillessRecoilless Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    God didn't any of you read that Dr. Susse book about the people with the stars on their stomachs and the ones without, and the people with stars pretend they are superior. Then some guy comes with machines to add stars to people without and everyone adds stars, and no one can tell the difference any more. Then they realize that race is a stupid concept and just go back to the way they were, except every one is equal.

This thread is just so goddamn similar.

Recoilless on
    Once a month women act the way men do all the time.
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    White guys get a lot of breaks in the US and have a lot more social mobility. So I guess I'd stay white.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    So you probably want to be of the thundercat race rather than the tiger race.
    I'm pretty sure that they make suits to facilitate this.

They're plush.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm 1/2 Spanish, 1/4 Italian, and 1/4 Sicillian.

Fun fact: My dad's side of the family is related to the Moor dynasty that ruled Spain in the middle ages. Some of my chromosomes are royalty, bitches!

LibrarianThorne on
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you're female, I'd suggest a mix of black, white, and Carib Indian (?). If you've seen the women in Trinidad, you'd know what I'm talking about. I mean, Damn with a capital D.

I quite enjoy my Austrian/German heritage, if only for the ability to make off color jokes and to feel superior to the French. I was planning on getting married to a black woman and start the real master race, but I just had to fall in love with an Estonian. Life's not fair sometimes.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm 1/2 Spanish, 1/4 Italian, and 1/4 Sicillian.

Fun fact: My dad's side of the family is related to the Moor dynasty that ruled Spain in the middle ages. Some of my chromosomes are royalty, bitches!

I think anyone can trace their ancestry and find royalty or something big to brag about. Its not like its helping you in your current state as in, living like Paris Hilton or something.

Is it American thing to say fractions of what race you are or is it done in Europe and Asia? I don't hear such stuff from my Latin American friends, they would say I am was born here and thats it.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd stay black. Its just..so much fun. Seriously.

I can see how this would affect the job market, I can see a future where there would be some kind of test that looks for your "original race" not the one you merely purchased. Also race != personality so even if you did change your race and you were from the Compton projects people would probably be able to tell and quite possibly still discriminate.

Prot3us on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Australia is a younger country than the US, and it is rare as can be. I'm not sure it has to do with the youth of your country as opposed to being a speicifc cultural quirk.
    Quite likely, I just figured it helped that, exluding those from a native background, everyone in the US has a relatively recent ancestor from another country. If I want to trace my blood off Britain I'd basically be looking at the likes of Saxons, Vikings, Normans even Romans, which are obviously somewhat tricky to trace.
    Interesting that you don't get it so much in Australia, though. I'm no expert on Australia's makeup, so correct me if I'm wrong, but generally it draws the bulk of its ancestors from a smaller portion of countries doesn't it?

SUPERSUGA on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think it would be a tremendous thing for society, as long as there weren't serious medical side effects, like current plastic surgery can have. It would turn racial appearance into something more like fashion- there are still people who hate others because of the clothes they wear, but it's ultimately the person's own decision.

Then again, this could cause pressure to just become the current popular race- I would feel shitty if I had to change my basic human appearance to get a job, so I wouldn't want anyone else to have to do that either.

I'm 3/4ths Italian and 1/4th Polish, with all my great-grandparents and two of my grandparents being born in their country of origin. And I probably wouldn't change my appearance, for the same basic reason I don't dye my hair.

Tarantio on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would choose to retain my pure Aryan lineage

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    I'm more than happy being pureblood Irish.

I'm 'pure' Irish too - that means a fair bit of Celt, with a little bit of Scandinavian (through lots of Viking pillaging and well... raping), a little bit of Scottish/English settler, even probably a little bit of Spanish (through the Armada refugees) and perhaps even some African through them (from the Moorish invasion).

Pure, pure mutt.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    I would choose to retain my pure Aryan lineage

Why would you care about being Proto-Indo-Iranian?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-Iranian

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    fyi that redirects to the proto-indo-iranian language page (you should make sure you're actually linking to what you want to link to next time) and, probably, avoid correcting obvious jokes. and while we're at it, everyone here also knows what an actual aryan is.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • LogicalHarmLogicalHarm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd be like a fraction of some extinct native american tribe and live off a casino.

LogicalHarm on