As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Found a screw embedded in my tire, what do?

acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin InstitutionalizedSafe in jail.Registered User regular
So yeah, I found this screw embedded in my rear passenger-side tire, am I safe to keep driving for the next week or so until I change over to my winter wheels?

The tire pressure hasn't dropped or anything, I'm just kind of afraid I might hit a bump and nick the inner tube causing a blow out resulting in me dying in a firey crash or worse-- damaging my sweet rims.

the pic:
2012-10-29172253.jpg

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    There's no tube in a car tire anymore. so you don't have to worry about it puncturing the tube. Honestly you'd probably be fine driving it for a week. But it generally only costs $10-20 to have repaired.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Assuming it hasn't compromised the integrity of the tire and can be sealed by the mechanic/tire shop. That's a pretty beefy bolt there. It wouldn't surprise me if it dun fucked your tires. Looks like it might almost be time to change your tires anyways?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    You go to a tire store and get it plugged. 10-20 bucks.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    schuss wrote: »
    You go to a tire store and get it plugged. 10-20 bucks.

unless its in the sidewall. then you should replace it.

but hey picture. yea just go to a tire shop. some will even plug it for free. I know Les Schwab used to.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Yeah I was hoping to wait until first snow to put the winter wheels on it because the winter wheels are already balanced with tires installed, so it'll only take like an hour in my garage to install them. I was already considering getting new summer/all-seasons to put on my nice rims in the spring, so I'm not too concerned with keeping the tires. Maybe I should just schedule some time this week to change over, then take the wheel to a tire shop to get it plugged?

Does it have to be on the car to get it plugged?

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    Shouldn't.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Those tires look like they're on their last bit of tread anyhow, so I'd just take the repair money and put it towards getting a new set.

• Options
    DumpShockDumpShock Does everyone? Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    If your a DIY type person then give this a try. I've had good luck plugging nail and screw holes similar to the one you have.
    If your not up for the DIY solution, take it to a tire shop. Most will plug it for free. Also as stated by the above poster, your tire looks like the tread is worn down a good bit. Might be time to replace it.

DumpShock on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Another vote for take it to the shop to get it patched. Discount tires will patch them for free, though expect them to try and sell you new tires (though they do look pretty worn).
    Alternatively, switch to your winter wheels a week early.

Try not to drive on a tire that you can see is damaged. It'd suck to get out of work/school/a long MWO session or whatever and find your tire has decided to go flat.

• Options
    SunDragonSunDragon Registered User regular
    I literally just got back from the tire shop getting the same thing fixed. They repaired it in 20 minutes and cost me $25.

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I definitely think you should try taking it to a tire shop, as many will repair punctures for free.

However, the treads on that tire appear to be worn enough that most tire shops probably won't repair that tire, even for a fee.

Worst case scenario, the tire shop won't repair the tire, and you limp along on it until it's time for the winter tires. You'll be fine, provided you're ready to replace the tire in the spring.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Truth. Discount Tires will fix it for free.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm going to change to my winter wheels ASAP, then I'll take it to a shop to see if they'll fix it. I know there's at least another year before I even get close to the wear bar. If they say it'll be sketchy to fix I'll just toss the tires out and get new ones next year. Thanks guys.

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    I perpetually have screws, nails, and bolts in my tires, often multiple tires at once. Apparently somewhere that I drive, people just like to throw that shit out onto the road all the time. I take mine to Les Schwabb every time. 9/10 times it's free, and when it costs it's usually $16. They have also given me quite a few lug bolt replacements for free.

I've tried TireRama and Big'O'Tire, and a few other places, even Walmart TLE, never had as good of experience and as swift of service as I can get with Les Schwabb. Because of that they also get all my change over, and new tire business. I think they have a pretty good business model going there, give away the stupid cheap easy stuff, and you'll get return customers for the expensive stuff, who might otherwise have shopped around for the best deal.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    EWom wrote: »
    I perpetually have screws, nails, and bolts in my tires, often multiple tires at once. Apparently somewhere that I drive, people just like to throw that shit out onto the road all the time. I take mine to Les Schwabb every time. 9/10 times it's free, and when it costs it's usually $16. They have also given me quite a few lug bolt replacements for free.

I've tried TireRama and Big'O'Tire, and a few other places, even Walmart TLE, never had as good of experience and as swift of service as I can get with Les Schwabb. Because of that they also get all my change over, and new tire business. I think they have a pretty good business model going there, give away the stupid cheap easy stuff, and you'll get return customers for the expensive stuff, who might otherwise have shopped around for the best deal.

my experience too. By providing the stuff like tire fixes for free, they get people going back for new tires etc.

i wish there was les schwabbs here, one tire we had a tire emergency and got to a store after closing but there was a guy still there. he opened the shop up and fixed us for free since he didn't want us to be at risk. pretty awesome service

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Squirt/drizzle some soapy water around the head of the screw.

Do you get bubbles?

If yes, get it plugged.

If no, just pull the screw out with a pair of pliers and forget about it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »

my experience too. By providing the stuff like tire fixes for free, they get people going back for new tires etc.

i wish there was les schwabbs here, one tire we had a tire emergency and got to a store after closing but there was a guy still there. he opened the shop up and fixed us for free since he didn't want us to be at risk. pretty awesome service

Considering tyre stores are all basically selling the same low profit margin product, and prices tend to be pretty close across the board, there is literally no reason to choose one store over another besides service. Which is why the best tyre stores will have the manager out the front on service counter, generally an older bloke/woman who knows a metric fuckton about cars new and old, and will chat all day if need be. They'll fetch you cups of coffee/tea and biscuits if you're having tyres fitted while you wait!

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

Considering tyre stores are all basically selling the same low profit margin product, and prices tend to be pretty close across the board, there is literally no reason to choose one store over another besides service. Which is why the best tyre stores will have the manager out the front on service counter, generally an older bloke/woman who knows a metric fuckton about cars new and old, and will chat all day if need be. They'll fetch you cups of coffee/tea and biscuits if you're having tyres fitted while you wait!

Tyres? Biscuits? Are you getting serviced at Hogwarts?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Do you get bubbles?

If yes, get it plugged.

What? Pulling out the screw will just cause the thing to start leaking air if it isn't already. If the pressure's the same, then you leave it alone.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    kaliyama wrote: »

Tyres? Biscuits? Are you getting serviced at Hogwarts?

Crazy notion, but other parts of the world speak a little differently than Americans.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »

Do you get bubbles?

If yes, get it plugged.

What? Pulling out the screw will just cause the thing to start leaking air if it isn't already. If the pressure's the same, then you leave it alone.

Negativo. If hasn't caused a leak yet, not removing it could easily allow it to cause one later on.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Hmm. Had it happen both ways to me.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Leaving it in could allow repetitive impacts with the ground to cause a puncture through the whole thing that isn't currently there.

Pulling it out could cause further stress on the current affected area, which in turn could turn a near-hole into a hole.

Seek the services of a qualified professional, or throw your winter wheels on there a little early and--oh, wait, you're already going to do that. Carry on, then.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Another vote for getting the tyre looked at.

Because seriously, having a nail in your tyre cannot be a good thing.

• Options

Yes, it is possible that neglecting it might not cause further problems. Generally, people don't like to leave things like that to chance and suddenly find they've got a flat.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options

Hence why I suggested the use of the soapy water trick. If it bubbles, leave it in and make haste to the tyre shop to get it plugged post haste. If it doesn't, pull it out. Leaving it in will only cause the screw to get pushed further into the tyre as you drive, and where there once was not a hole all the way through, soon there will be.

• Options
    so just for some closure, I swapped to my winter tires over the weekend and then tried the soapy water trick while cleaning the rims for storage to find that it was indeed a very slow leak. Because there's only at most about a season's worth of tread left I think I'm just going to buy a new set of tires and have them mounted/balanced in the spring. Thanks for the help/advice guys.

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    You have one good thing going into this... you have all winter to shop for good deals, and find good tires. As opposed to what usually happens me which is "fuck I'm driving on a donut spare, I need new tires now!" which is when you get boned. I don't know if standard around the country, or some sort of regulation or what, but nobody around here will sell you a single tire, always in pairs. Makes getting a replacement full size spare for my Blazer a pain in the ass.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Getting a single can be dangerous, they probably don't do it for liability reasons. Unless you have a receipt for new tires within 3 months. Something something tread something ABS.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    You don't want tires with a significant difference in circumference (and thus radius) on the same axle. That would definitely muck with traction control, and probably ABS too; for subies it's recommended no tire have more than 1/4" difference in circumference. Now if you've an older car w/out that tech and an open differential, then I'm not sure how much it would matter though there are probably alignment considerations. If you're trying to find a full-sized single look for places that sell used tires.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    As others said, it will cause drivetrain wear/breakage. You can technically get a tire shaved to match, but most shops don't have the equipment.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    nobody around here will sell you a single tire, always in pairs. Makes getting a replacement full size spare for my Blazer a pain in the ass.

If you're still looking for that full sized spare, I think buying a single tire at TireRack.com is pretty easy and painless.