As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    actually, that reminded me that there's a bird that died around here recently

hopefully I can get a second chance at some carrion beetles from that

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    bugs are pretty fascinating but they kinda freak me out when I'm near them

I can only imagine most of them as tiny cold-blooded killers with no remorse, sympathy, or fear

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Why couldn't you have been Bergboy

and have a healthy obsession with iceberg lettuce

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Because bugs are way more rad than some stupid lettuce.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    Or Pugboy?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dubh wrote: »

Because romaine is superior.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Because romaine is superior.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Starcross wrote: »
    Or Pugboy?

I am quite fond of pugs

they're not as good at parasitizing things in unusual ways though

• Options
    Druhim wrote: »

Look, if we're gonna talk about bugs

let's include more crabs

crab.jpg

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    This thread is good. It is a good thread.

Most people say that creepy crawlies are ugly, nasty things. But this is not true! To prove this, I give you Hymenopus coronatus

orchid1u.jpg

Also known as the Orchid Mantis, for obvious reasons, just look at that thing. It's a goddamn flower. At least, it pretends to be so that it can catch it's prey, which includes other insects, small lizards, and the occasionall banana. Apprently, despite being almost purely carnivourus, they just like bananas.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    Different species of wasps target different prey to lay their eggs in, so it varies somewhat. But typically the prey is left alive but paralyzed.

Oh definitely, like the tarantula hawks.

But are there any other species that use that particular method of incredibly precise brain damage and then riding their crippled victim back to the burrow?

Again, varies by species. But my point is that the general idea of a parasite driving the behavior of a host through either chemical means or physically attacking particular parts of the nervous system isn't unique to this particular species of wasp.

Oh yeah, it's undoubtably not unique in that respect.

But I wanted to pick one specific wasp to show the horrifying reproductive behavior and I thought I'd go with the one that's very interesting, in that it has an unusual method of attacking its victims when compared to other wasps.

It is my sworn goal to deliver only the finest nightmare bugs when we're so close to halloween.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    How about Hugboy...just hugging everyone all of the time...until it gets kind of weird and we stop talking to him because he starts getting handsy with his hugs.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Not enough spiders in this thread yet - I want to hear @Gatsby screaming from all the way over here on the other side of the country!

• Options
    This is the biggest spider in the world, the Goliath Bird Eating Spider.
    goliath1.jpg
    Despite it's name it doesn't usually eat birds. They prefer to gather into small packs and hunt the most dangerous game of all.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/wong/endangered/goliath1.jpg
    Despite it's name it doesn't usually eat birds. They prefer to gather into small packs and hunt the most dangerous game of all.
    Sharkbear?
    sharkbear2.jpg

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    a variety of insects?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    goliath1.jpg

This is an old forum favourite!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    goliath1.jpg

A local pet store had one of these. For some reason they could never find anyone to buy it.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    tumblr_ln481fKPPt1ql1om2o1_400.png

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    @BugBoy I got some awesome pictures of a mystery arachnid I'll post when I'm back at home.

I don't think he/she liked the attention, given how much it kept raising it's front legs higher and wider. Sorry buddy, it's art. You'll never make it in this small town if you can't take a camera in your face.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to this!

speaking of arachnids, the windy weather's knocked a bunch of old spiderwebs and debris down from some nooks and crannies

it's a good chance to see what they eat

the large amount of discarded bodyparts indicates lacewings

lots and lots of lacewings

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Lacewings: nature's redshirts

I also wish I could fine a jumping spider. Wanna squish those cute widdle cheekers.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular

Look, if we're gonna talk about bugs

let's include more crabs

crab.jpg

Yup yup let's get some crabs in here.

http://youtu.be/lBpMSmYP7to

Since it's Halloweiner time here's a g-g-g-ghost crab.

http://youtu.be/U7TbfpPUTtw

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Bugboy I think you would like the area under my veranda.

Webs of every variety in every corner of every joist and bearer, just above head height.

I always feel a little bad when I move a door down there which has a switch behind it, because there are always at least three spiders spider-manning away on broken webs as I go to turn on the light.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    don't worry too much about it

spiders are really great at constructing their webs, and they can rebuild them really quickly

some species rebuild them on a regular basis anyway

speaking of webs though

my labyrinth orbweaver has been sitting outside her tent recently, which is unusual for her

it's been rainy and I think it ruined her hideaway

I'm happy to have the chance to see her but a little sad about her tiny house

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Can we talk about how adorable jumping spiders are? They're like chitinous kittens. Chittens?

• Options
    I am so glad someone appreciates them

because they are adorable

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Lets talk about craneflies:
    320px-Crane_fly_halteres.jpg
    What is their secret? They're shit at flying and their legs come off more frequently than my shoes. What are they doing right that they still exist and are as common as they are?

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ima kitteh! *mew*

zxoQ2.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    craneflies are a source of great frustration

in their appearance always seems to lead to someone yelling about giant mosquitos

• Options
    Its a myth that craneflies eat mosquitos too, right? I do know that their grubs can wreck havoc on lawns

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Craneflies suck
    They just keep dying everywhere
    Why are they so bad at living?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    Craneflies suck
    They just keep dying everywhere
    Why are they so bad at living?

Among most cranefly species, the adult form exists only for breeding and often aren't equipped to even feed.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    NcWIH.jpg

does this count

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    tumblr_mcbmmgawV41qm8fzgo1_500.jpg
    d'aww look at that momma scorpion

seriously I love big scorpions

• Options
    day four of dead bird watch

still no carrion beetles

or anything else, on the outside anyway

I'd be surprised if flies hadn't gotten eggs in there by now

• Options
    Looks like you'll have to kill another one.

I'm on to you.

• Options
    I would never do that

the only thing I ever killed was a bug for science class, and I still feel guilty about it

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Kill mosquitoes 24/7

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bugboy! I saw an awesome snail the other day and I thought of you and took a photo! I'll post it in here on the weekend when I get a chance to upload photos from my phone.