As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Perfect Storm]y Weather

• DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    The sharks ast practicing for when global warming gets down inundating wall street because they're going to be the ones running it.
    This sounds like the makings of a syfy original movie. "When it first started happening we called them 'scouts'. It was a joke back then, but no one is laughing... now."

Also I hope everyone stays safe. I have some coworkers in DC I need to remember to check in on in the morning.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
  • BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    If you're in floodwater deep enough for sharks to be swimming in it, the sharks are the least of your problems.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    They shut down the subway system well in advance of the storm which includes clearing the stations. So probably no homeless dying

That said I think the storm missed me entirely. Some minor gusts but our power and Internet is fine. We're with friends and if it weren't for the news it would seem like a normal hang out

they may clear out the stations but there are people who live in the tunnels and stuff
    'mole people' and underground communities do exist down there

Do you have any literature on this
    i'm not sure, my knowledge stems from this documentary I saw a while ago

Looks like the homeless he made a movie about were forced out but he secured housing for them.

What a badass

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    they're just waiting for the Jets at laguardia to float on down.

Look I know they're not the hottest NFL team but I'm pretty sure they're not helpless in all aspects. >.>

jets.
    Sharks.

sigh never mind! not gonna explain the joke!

:(

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Jets in New Jersey and people are going to associate with the football team. Especially since said team sucks and is basically sharkbait.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Seriously guys, West Side Story. Come On!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

thank you! <3<3

I got it the second time! But Jets in Jersey = football.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    What I want to know is who thought it was a good idea to sail the HMS Bounty out when a hurricane was right nearby with a crew of only 16 on a ship which originally was supposed to have over 100.

I'm posting late, but for a ship like that it's much safer out at sea than stuck in near the coast, where it'd be destroyed for sure. You want to be able to keep maneuvering and sail with the storm winds coming from behind, riding the waves instead of them hitting from the side and breaking the ship.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    I'm done talking to you now, Bum.

You ruined my joke. :(

I even tried to make it slightly obscure so as to not be obvious.

<3

• KanaKana Registered User regular

I don't listen to hip hop!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    pod 9 are dicks

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    What I want to know is who thought it was a good idea to sail the HMS Bounty out when a hurricane was right nearby with a crew of only 16 on a ship which originally was supposed to have over 100.

I'm posting late, but for a ship like that it's much safer out at sea than stuck in near the coast, where it'd be destroyed for sure. You want to be able to keep maneuvering and sail with the storm winds coming from behind, riding the waves instead of them hitting from the side and breaking the ship.

The point is that it is not safer with only 16 people crewing a 100man ship, and better the ship be destroyed than people die trying to crew it while undermanned

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So uh, fellow New Yorkers, does anyone know if any of the Harlem River bridges are open? Willis Ave, Madison Ave, MacCombs Dam Bridge, University Heights, or Broadway?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Photos coming in from New York after the storm has passed this morning. Still hitting hard inland.

I hope everyone in the path of the storm is alright.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    No power sucks

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

Dude, this is happening on the east coast.

No I don't.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

West Side Story took place in NYC. Joke checks out.

Fact-checking makes jokes funnier........ hah. hah.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Christie seemed busy playing CYA / find a scapegoat today on the news.

From what I've read he waited until the last minute to declare a State of Emergency / order evacuations from Atlantic City, then tried to blame the mayor because the mayor had to call off the evacuations when it got too dangerous to keep moving people out.

Anyone from around there know how much truth there is to this?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Christie seemed busy playing CYA / find a scapegoat today on the news.

From what I've read he waited until the last minute to declare a State of Emergency / order evacuations from Atlantic City, then tried to blame the mayor because the mayor had to call off the evacuations when it got too dangerous to keep moving people out.

Anyone from around there know how much truth there is to this?

He declared the state of emergency sometime yesterday, which is also when New Hampshire declared it. He also ordered evacuations to be completed by 4pm Sunday.

I mean, maybe he's playing politics? But this seems to check out.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

West Side Story took place in NYC. Joke checks out.

Fact-checking makes jokes funnier........ hah. hah.
    West...east..... westeast weast blarg.

No I don't.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    You guys need to step back from the partisan blinders, Christie is doing what any good governor would do in this circumstance.

Lh96QHG.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You guys need to step back from the partisan blinders, Christie is doing what any good governor would do in this circumstance.

But how can we exploit this tragedy to further our political ideology?

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

I'm just trying to find out what's going on. I really didn't expect Christie to play too much politics with this, especially since the best thing he can do is be a 'good governor' on a national stage. The last thing he wants it to look like the fuckups in LA after Katrina.

I just saw him on TV this morning bitching about how the mayor of Atlantic City is responsible for fucking a bunch of people over, but I also saw several stories that Langford was disputing what Christie claimed. My dad told me that he read that Christie gave the order to evacuate too late to fully evacuate the city, so people who couldn't get out were forced to stay in shelters Langford provided, and Christie was criticizing Langford for making that shelter available.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Christie was mad that someone undercut his "get teh fuck out" order.

When it happened I posited that the reason Langford said "stay put" was that conditions on the ground mean you couldn't safely get to the mainland anymore.

Hurricanes are a big deal and very confusing. There's absolutely no reason to bring politics into it. Since it's the first big hurricane the northeast has gotten for a long time, I'd say all elected officials are doing surprisingly well. Let's just make sure we can save as many people as possible and we'll do a dissection when the roads are clear, the lights are back on, and people have their homes back.

It's what we do in Florida and it works out pretty well.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man... these photos of Manhattan all blacked out and empty are kind of unsettling. Like some kind of post apocalyptic movie or something.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I am just hoping the fisticuffs ensue. The few pictures comout out of New Jersey do not look good at all.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I am just hoping the fisticuffs ensue. The few pictures comout out of New Jersey do not look good at all.

Fisticuffs? In Jersey? Balderdash!

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    saint2e wrote: »
    Atlantic City literally is now Atlantic City.
    No gods or kings, only rain!

FwWSY.jpg

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️

I was talking about the Mayor and the Gov. They were talking on the news this morning that the Mayor stated he wanted to take things "mano y mano" after the Gov got all high an mighty on him.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I was talking about the Mayor and the Gov. They were talking on the news this morning that the Mayor stated he wanted to take things "mano y mano" after the Gov got all high an mighty on him.

And now the world will think they're petty children who are concerned with the entirely wrong set of issues. Good job fellas...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm not really a huge fan of Christie, but he's on the right side of this argument. The mayor in atlantic city is playing dumbage control after he caused an issue telling people conflicting info.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm not really a huge fan of Christie, but he's on the right side of this argument. The mayor in atlantic city is playing dumbage control after he caused an issue telling people conflicting info.

Christie is also being a petulant blustering jackass, even while he's right. Not exactly leadership.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Storm apparently missed me completely

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Man... these photos of Manhattan all blacked out and empty are kind of unsettling. Like some kind of post apocalyptic movie or something.

I was all set to go exploring the urban wasteland, but the Internet came back, so it's work time :(

Did anyone else hear how much those apartments cost per month? You have seen that picture... the one where the facade fell away?

4000 bucks a month.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Christie is also being a petulant blustering jackass, even while he's right. Not exactly leadership.

Well I don't expect Christie to become a different politician.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else hear how much those apartments cost per month? You have seen that picture... the one where the facade fell away?

4000 bucks a month.

What building? Was it the beekman?

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Anyone mind linking/posting the interesting pictures? I'd rather not sift through thousands of pictures of people standing in water

The MSNBC pictures are varied and from different locations all over the NE.

The building I mentioned was on 14th St and 8th Av NY City according the description. They were talking about this morning on the news and said those tiny little apartments in that building cost 4k a month.