As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Perfect Storm]y Weather

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    121030-breezy-point-hmed-6a.photoblog600.jpg

Queens had a 6-alarm fire last night which burned over 50 homes

EDIT: And as I write that the story is updated to 80 homes

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Good lord that photo looks straight out of a Micheal Bay movie.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Hudson Valley here, still no power. Currently posting from a coffee shop because we were so damn bored at our house. What did people do before the interwebs, "read"?

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    What is worse about that picture is the fact that the streets were flooded with water but nothing could be done to save those homes because of that.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Good lord that photo looks straight out of a Micheal Bay movie.

Better acting.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah Queens definitely got the double whammy

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Good god... Bad Luck Brian must live in Queens.

Neighborhood has torrential rains and flooding.
    House burns down.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    What I want to know is who thought it was a good idea to sail the HMS Bounty out when a hurricane was right nearby with a crew of only 16 on a ship which originally was supposed to have over 100.

I'm posting late, but for a ship like that it's much safer out at sea than stuck in near the coast, where it'd be destroyed for sure. You want to be able to keep maneuvering and sail with the storm winds coming from behind, riding the waves instead of them hitting from the side and breaking the ship.

It's being debated up and down in sailing news/blogs why they were out there; especially off of Hatteras which is also known as the "graveyard of the Atlantic." They could have sailed the boat up river and rode it out there, but it sounds as if the boat had a schedule to keep and that might be why they decided to try and skirt one of the biggest storms ever. Apparently they had been given advice to go straight east, but decided against it. Normally they could have just hove to out in deep water and rode it out, but the generators died, killing the pumps, and with the ship taking something like 2 feet of water on a minute, that was basically the end. Been a lot of tragic sailing deaths/accidents this year. Why anyone would try to thread a square rigger ship between a massive hurricane and the shoals off of the cape is a question I'd like answered, but sadly the captain is probably lost at sea.
    bounty.jpeg

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Some Pics:

This newly formed lake was once LaGuardia Airport.
    s6IpX.jpg

The FDR highway
    8WSHm.jpg

This was once an underground parking lot, notice the "12' clearance" sign:
    x6nCC.jpg

East Village:

There's a subreddit over at Reddit, /r/Sandy, that has more.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Some Pics:

x6nCC.jpg

The dude holding a beer is a nice touch. I'd need a drink or two to deal with my town going through that, too.

• Options
    Not pictured a few moments later "Hold my beer I'm going to see if I can get my car."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    bleh all these poor submerged cars
    all the wd-40 in the world couldn't save them now :(

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Some Pics:

x6nCC.jpg

The dude holding a beer is a nice touch. I'd need a drink or two to deal with my town going through that, too.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the guy next to him is the attendant, giving him a ticket.

"Can't leave that there son, just doing my job!"

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Some Pics:

This newly formed lake was once LaGuardia Airport.
    s6IpX.jpg

The FDR highway
    8WSHm.jpg

x6nCC.jpg

East Village:

There's a subreddit over at Reddit, /r/Sandy, that has more.
    Should have:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhUakaF67xc

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Still no power here gonna ve out for days. Fron what I hear the biggest damage is going to be to mass transit. Entire stations flioded with salt water and shit

• Options
    Still no power here gonna ve out for days. Fron what I hear the biggest damage is going to be to mass transit. Entire stations flioded with salt water and shit

At least your man pelt keeps you warm, how is the lady managing, she sizing you up for a Tauntan sleeping bag?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mayor Booker's twitter reports zero looting and lots of acts of kindness fromp people in Newark.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I guess if you have to have flooding it's nice to happen to a city where everything is a couple of floors anyway?

But man, that's just craaazy amounts of damage. Billions and billions of dollars.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Mayor Booker's twitter reports zero looting and lots of acts of kindness fromp people in Newark.

This is partly due to Corey Booker being the goddamn Batman.

• Options
    Lawndart wrote: »

Rachel was showing his twitter feed from yesterday and he basically was. If only he didn't fuck up and openly suck PE cock this election season he could have been a contender.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The most expensive thing is cleaning up the subway.

That salt water is gonna fuck things up for a good long time.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Storm apparently missed me completely

This.

We (Buffalo metro area) were supposed to get a pounding. High winds, power outages, the whole deal. But as I stayed awake late last night waiting for the inevitable so I could hook my generator up to what was sure to be an overflowing sump with a powerless pump, nothing happened. We had several storms this summer that were far worse. On either side of us (Rochester NY, and Toronto ONT) there was damage, power outages, etc. we somehow lucked out. No ones lights so much as flickered. My garbage cans didn't shift an inch.

Very fortunate for us.

• Options
    Yall wrote: »

This.

We (Buffalo metro area) were supposed to get a pounding. High winds, power outages, the whole deal. But as I stayed awake late last night waiting for the inevitable so I could hook my generator up to what was sure to be an overflowing sump with a powerless pump, nothing happened. We had several storms this summer that were far worse. On either side of us (Rochester NY, and Toronto ONT) there was damage, power outages, etc. we somehow lucked out. No ones lights so much as flickered. My garbage cans didn't shift an inch.

Very fortunate for us.

That's a premade onion article.

"God decides to spare Buffallo after realizing not much else he could do to it."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Does anybody know of any libraries open and uncrowded in south Manhattan

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    pb-121030-surreal-sandy-nj-10.photoblog900.jpg

more pics
    pb-121030-surreal-sandy-nj-09.photoblog900.jpg
    pb-121030-surreal-sandy-nj-06.photoblog900.jpg
    pb-121030-surreal-sandy-nj-02.photoblog900.jpg

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular

This.

Very fortunate for us.

"God decides to spare Buffallo after realizing not much else he could do to it."

Pretty much the going joke around town, except with an added twist of strange irony in that everyone feels like "oh once again Buffalo doesn't get any media love, but NYC is the center of attention".

• Options

This.

Very fortunate for us.

Pretty much the going joke around town, except with an added twist of strange irony in that everyone feels like "oh once again Buffalo doesn't get any media love, but NYC is the center of attention".

That's the best.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »

Rachel was showing his twitter feed from yesterday and he basically was. If only he didn't fuck up and openly suck PE cock this election season he could have been a contender.

lemme tell you, readinghis twitter feed yesterday, I think the dude can get past the Wall street thing.

I, personally, am ready for a good old fashioned NJ street fight between Booker & christie.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    I took a ride around today and there want much flooding here just power outages and trees down.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Jesus that guy watches his neighbors wall get ripped off and yet he keeps filming, apparently not aware the exact thing could happen to him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Jesus that guy watches his neighbors wall get ripped off and yet he keeps filming, apparently not aware the exact thing could happen to him.

Well this is a new thing to most people up there. It's why this storm is so dangerous, the north east isn't prepared for a hurricane and its related disturbances.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Well this is a new thing to most people up there. It's why this storm is so dangerous, the north east isn't prepared for a hurricane and its related disturbances.

All the same brosef don't take video of a tragedy unless you want to wind up in a found footage movie!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular

x6nCC.jpg

Why is the water red?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Dram wrote: »

x6nCC.jpg

Why is the water red?

Because of all the hatred in New York City.

PRAISE VIGO!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    *cough*Vigo*cough*

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    *cough*Vigo*cough*

wtzCI.jpg

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    All that slime had to go somewhere. Why do you think the EPA was all over that.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    2 days without power in Smithtown, LI. Finally got a cell signal out this morning and drove west to the folks' house in Nassau.

Things I've learned: I would eat a bullet inside a week of any legit post-apocalyptic scenario. I cannot live without electricity.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS