As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I suck at Counterstrike

2»

• Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Office is the best map out right now. Dust2 is the only other popular one but unless the server bans AWPs it's just a retarded sniper-fest. I won't even play on a server that doesn't ban AWPs, they make the game retarded.

The silenced M4 (CT rifle) is the best newb-friendly gun around, followed by the Galil (T rifle). Both have a relatively low recoil and a decent sized clip.

Unless you're camping, never, ever crouch. And even then it's usually a bad idea. As someone who's been playing CS for about.. 8 years now a target that isn't moving is a joke to kill.

And the two most important tips..

Always keep your crosshairs at head level. I see a lot of new players running around with their crosshairs too low, or just looking in random directions. All good players maintain their crosshairs at headshot level so the second they see someone they're already a step ahead (or at least on even ground).

Always keep your crosshairs at the very corner of a wall you're coming around. If an enemy comes into view they're obviously going to come into frame right along the wall's edge, but a lot of new players just run around walls with their crosshairs extremely wide.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My favorite version of CS was Beta 6.5 I loved when the M4A1 was silenced and had a scope. I still dream about cs_backalley. I don't want to get it off of Steam 'cause I need to get stuff done.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hoz on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to play a lot of CS 1.5 and 1.6 back in the day. Never touched CS:S so I can't really comment on it but a few of the strategies that worked for me were:

Communicate with your team. Watch where your guys go and if you see a bunch of them take the route to B, and a few seconds later you see all their names come up dead, you know that's probably where most of the other team is and now all your guys there are dead.

Don't hesitate to run away. If you die, that's it you're out for the round. If the situation doesn't look good fall back and regroup with your team, or try and flank the other guys.

Always crouch when shooting, unless the enemy is right up in your face and you're trying to strafe around him. Never fire more than a couple shots with a full auto gun unless they are very close.

The sig, I think it's called (The scoped auto rifle the terrorists get) is a very powerful weapon and shouldn't be underestimated. I would get headshots like nobody's business with this gun. The preferred weapons of pros are the AK and colt, but for a beginner I think the sig and aug are very capable weapons. Just remember the zoomed view makes you fire slower so don't use it unless you need to.

Never underestimate the element of surprise. Learning the maps and finding paths that the other team uses quite often, then setting up in a corner behind a wall or some crates is a good way to get the drop on them. Jumping out with an auto shotgun and blasting someone in the back as they run through a tunnel is a good way to make them shit themselves.

Don't bother with sniper rifles at first. An AWP and even a scout can be devastating in the right hands, but as a beginner you're probably more of a danger to yourself. Any half decent player will be able to out-maneuver you and crack your skull open with an AK round.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    another small one. if you are firing longer than 3 round bursts or so pull down(or up depending on your mouse setup) ever so slightly. If you notice the recoil pulls your aim up naturally. A slight adjustment can make the difference between shooting someone in the head and shooting over their head.
    i
    I'd suggest creating a local game on your machine. Buy different weapons and test their accuracies and recoils. You can walk right up to a wall and see the spread fo bullets easily, something you'll never get to do in a real game. Get a feel for how much you can burst each gun before it becomes inaccurate.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hoz wrote: »

Bwahaha, that was great. I can't believe I've never heard that before.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7426/anotherku6.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=holyshithe2.jpg

Thats me. And grenades are awesome. Got them both this week. I was going to post my score pictures, but felt bad since this post is asking for help and I feel like i'm gloating enough as it is.

Honestly I think the best maps to train on are Office and Assault. Its a great fun game so don't give up on it. I have been playing since the early CS days.

Vampire_Goldfish on
    signatureseh.jpg
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I play CS:S a good bit. To not download sounds either build an autoexec or just open the console (`) and type cl_downloadfilter nosounds

Do it before you choose a server and you won't download all the mp3's.

dasnoob on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm iusehappymod or xboxmaster56@gmail.com

Friend me if you want a game or two. I'm always up for playing.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One thing that definitely helps newbie multiplayer FPS players is aiming with your feet.

If you're to the left of the headshot, don't move your mouse to the right-- rather, strafe right. When you want to stop strafing, tap the other strafe key (Hold D then tap A to stop your movement faster). This will help you keep your height steady, maintained at headshot level. Quite obviously, it is not the fastest method of aiming, but it helps people starting out. Once you're better, you'll find yourself able to flick your mouse accurately enough that you don't need to do this unless you're in a long range rifle fight, where doing this helps dodge also.

The next thing to do is learn how to do connecting-shots. Learn where the head height is, and then learn your reaction time. If you're decently fast to start off, aim at a corner maybe about 1 cm out of it, so rigth when you see someone round the corner, you just click and it's a HS. You want to do this if you hear footsteps and there's no one around you on the radar.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I hope to god that that ytmnd site was staged. Jeez.

A lot of good advice in this thread, but the best remedy is practise. I'm now an average player after years of solidly playing the damn game, but once upon a time I was pure shite. Like, really, really bad. So the step-up is significant.

Maybe we should all take steps to keep the [GAME ON] thread resurrected...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hoz on
  • Options
    bearsuitbearsuit Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you want to play with pretty good players and are somewhat interested in getting better, just sign-up for ESEA. It's $6 a month but it sets up 5v5 pugs for you which can be a lot of fun.

bearsuit on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Heir wrote: »

that is so sad, but also so funny.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Heir wrote: »

that is so sad, but also so funny.
    It is more sad than funny.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    dasnoob wrote: »
    I play CS:S a good bit. To not download sounds either build an autoexec or just open the console (`) and type cl_downloadfilter nosounds

Do it before you choose a server and you won't download all the mp3's.

If it forces you to d/l quake sounds chances are its a lousy server anyway. Better to find one that doesn't suck.

Also it sounds crazy but learn n a FF server. if you find a non retarded one the players tend to be alot better and you learn how to play for real.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, try to play on a server with more people. The length of the rounds will teach you the value of being careful. :)

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The best way I can think of to get good at/enjoy CS:S is to play it with G&T folks while chatting it up in Ventrilo. You have fun whether you're doing poorly or doing well, and you're playing with folks who are more than willing to give you advice while you play.

In fact, I think I'll bump the G&T CS:S thread right now and see if anyone wants to play.

Captain K on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You guys are all crazy. Teamwork my ass! CS is all about individual glory.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Something I've noticed about counterstrike is that my skill is directly proportional to the amount I shave.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ahh... I miss counter strike. I wish it came with the Orange Box for 360.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767