As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian Gamers need Penny Arcades help

highlatencyhighlatency Registered User new member
We need Penny Arcades help because we are being seriously ripped of by Games Workshop in Australia.
When I looked at the new paint set which is available at the moment it was the last straw for me. On the US version of their online store it is $450 in the Australian instance it's $730. I've known for a while that GW was putting an "Australia tax" on all of it's products but this is just a joke.
Here's a link here as an example http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470002a&prodId=prod1760002a . You can change which country you are shopping from in the bottom right hand corner of their website.

I have been a long time player and supporter of Games Workshop, but it seems they no longer want Australians to support them.

Either that or we are the bailout plan for Greece.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The shipping they will charge you for changing where you purchase from is obscene. Someone mentioned for a pot of paint, from the UK to Australia, they charge £60 shipping.

There's unfortunately not much that can be done. Someone even brought it to the attention of the ACCC, who informed them that since it is an embargo done in Europe, by a European company, against European comanies, they have no grounds to do anything.

It's quite simply GW doing something legal in Europe to stop us doing something legal in Australia - buy the stuff from Europe.

That said, there is a way out. Buy from American stores. One example is Dicebucket. Another example is ebays Discount Games Store. Buying from the US gives you between 40%-60% off depending on their discount on the US RRP and their shipping.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    highlatencyhighlatency Registered User new member
    Yeah I've looked at dicebucket, but had not seen that ebay option, thanks. The problem is that some of the alternatives don't have the range and also I don't want the franchise owners to get ruined either. They are also hurt by this as they have to charge the same as the online store, and the high prices turn people to alternative channels which also cost them sales.

The trade embargo is yet another issue to the way they are doing things at them moment. It also applies to thier US stores, they even "freeze" reshipping addresses when they figure out thats what they are.

I think the only reason they charge the prices they do here in Australia is because they think they can get away with it (which so far it seems they can). My hope is that if their behaviour can be put in the spotlight they will have to rethink the way they are doing business.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    You also have to remember that the strong Australian dollar is part of the problem here. If we look back to Y2K, the Aussie dollar was worth 51.8 US cents and 35p, compared to today's parity with the US and about 65p to the dollar. It's only been the last few years where we have really seen a price disparity because of strong dollar.

Really you have a few options, some of which Loki has already covered.

1: Buy from ebay or a US retailer. The second hand market is where it's at anyway.
    2: Stop supporting GW and play a different game. It's cheaper to buy Warmachine from an Aussie store like Defiant than a UK one like Wayland.
    3: Suck it up. Yeah the pricing sucks, but GW has a monopoly on Space Marines etc. Having a monopoly means they can be the biggest Geese that they want, so long as people keep buying stuff.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    Come play warmachine instead. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere the aussie warmahordes scene is quite active and incredibly welcoming. If you're on the east coast it shouldnt be hard to find a press ganger either.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Playing Warmachine isn't always the default answer. I wanted to, until I found out what kind of local community it had. I'd rather pay more to play 40k with friends than less to play Warmachine with them.

That said, the sentiment is correct. If you can't stomach paying local prices for 40k but still want to play games and support your FLGS (and your FLGS isn't a GW), there's plenty of options these days. The aforementioned Warmachine, Kings of War/Warpath, Dust, etc. You could even branch out into skirmish games - Infinity, Mercs and Malifaux have you covered pretty awesomely. Or even into 15mm - Dystopian Wars, Dropzone Commander, Flames of War, etc.

The tabletop wargame market is fucking saturated right now. GW really still is the big fish in Australia even after their blunders, but that doesn't mean there's not other options out there. Hell, I was a 40k only player for ~20 years, and recently I've been getting into Infinity and started looking at Flames of War (if the fiancee doesn't get too angry).

That said, I do still play 40k, and all my 40k stuff is bought locally. I recently dropped $96 on a Tyrannofex and $83 on a Carnifex, so yes, I know the pain. But I, like you, like to support my local FLGS.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Shame to hear your local Warmahodes community is toxic, where are you playing so i can avoid it?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    The Warmahordes community is fine in Melbourne just FYI. Also Infinity has taken off in a serious way. My club is hoping to run the Countries largest Infinity tournament in Jan.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Shame to hear your local Warmahodes community is toxic, where are you playing so i can avoid it?

South West Sydney.

It's no big deal - as I said, Warmachine is hardly the only alternative these days.

• Options
    Hmm, dunno who you're playing against i've played a lot of the Sydney community in Super Series tournaments and all nice guys, apart from one douche bag who played Circle Orboros in the Penrith heat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    To be fair, it was information passed on to me as I was looking into playing the game from someone who has played the locals. Sort of a 'FYI' on the local scene. It may not be that bad, but it was enough to make me not want to gamble on buying an army for a game I might not end up liking, especially since the locals will be my only opponents, as I'm not a tournament gamer.

So I went with Infinity instead, which has the benefits of being a skirmish game. Deeper rules, more complex gameplay, and fewer models to paint. The exact counter I wanted to 40k's more simplified (if obtuse at times) rules, hordeish gameplay and buckets of models.

Those qualities also got my brother and a friend into the game. Which is beneficial to playing with strangers.

-Loki- on