As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Terraria in space, or something.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    jothki wrote: »
    a modular API would have been awesome. Modders should have been able to easily rig up entirely new content up to new region types, with adding them to your game as simple as copying over a folder and then checking it off in a list. Instead, everything was locked down, wasting a ton of potential.

The Terraria source code was leaked shortly before its launch (and it probably made them rush the launch too). From what I've heard, it's a horrible mess.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Definetly looks interesting.

I played a bit of Terraria but never touched it after that week long orgy of chopping down trees and building 2D castles.

But a space station?! Sign me up.

Yeah, I fell into this category as well. Other than the rare MMO phase, I generally fall into one/two week marathons with games. Sadly, anytime I've tried turning this one back on, I've just kinda ran around debating where to build my fort and eventually just closed the game. But that's really my problem with sandbox games. Once I've rubbed the shine off of it, there's really no going back.

I'm not really expecting a full blown narrative with SB, but something more than resource progression would be nice.

Decoy on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    a modular API would have been awesome. Modders should have been able to easily rig up entirely new content up to new region types, with adding them to your game as simple as copying over a folder and then checking it off in a list. Instead, everything was locked down, wasting a ton of potential.

The Terraria source code was leaked shortly before its launch (and it probably made them rush the launch too). From what I've heard, it's a horrible mess.

Yeah, that's a waste in of itself. If I had been designing the project from the start, knowing what it turned into, I'd have basically made the entire thing a mod of itself. Have the base world just be a solid undifferentiated block, and then script in layers and regions. That way if a modder wants a layer to be radically different, they can just toggle the vanilla layer off.

Still not much to look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kXWeUc_e8c

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It's a shame the torch doesn't illuminate the undersides of the tree branches preferentially.

That said, I am interested in the backdrops and whether they represent actual parts of the world.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    My biggest problem with Terraria was that the mining and construction felt super slow and clunky to me, so much so that I gave up on the game rather quickly. If this improves on those areas, then I will be super excited, but if it doesn't then I will skip it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It's a shame the torch doesn't illuminate the undersides of the tree branches preferentially.

That said, I am interested in the backdrops and whether they represent actual parts of the world.

That's because the trees are flat background objects and not 3D objects. I don't mind either way, but if they can't do the latter properly, just stick to the flat background method.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Just because it isn't a 3d object doesn't mean you can't fake some 3d-looking lighting. It would probably be possible with a specialized shader and some normal mapping, which probably wouldn't be a major performance hit. It probably would be a wee bit of creativity good bit of work they may not have any experience with, though.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well sure. But this wasn't a final product video to begin with.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    some of the music for the game was found:

also, they posted some nice pictures of generated worlds last week: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/some-pretty-worlds-i-found-this-morning-whilst-testing-rain.6766/
    pretty2.jpg

SaraLuna on
    Still undecided about the art style of the characters, but damn if it isn't a good-looking environment.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Agreed. I'm very curious to see the range of props and costumes for characters.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Please tell me that water in the trough is from the rain collecting in the valley.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited August 2012
    Echo on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm very interested in this game. It's looking really good so far.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Just saw this thread. Why didn't I hear of thise before??

My only beef with Terraria was the fact that there was little point to building/crafting/monster hunting beyond it's own sake (which is still more than with Minecraft, which is why I've never gotten into it) so the fact there is a plot/direction behind it is the best thing.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Oh hells yes.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Damnit I want to play this game. Do we have a release date?

Steam: offday
    That's already looking more awesome than Terraria.

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    You know what's awesome is that as cool as this is, it's also the part of Starbound I am looking forward to least. Exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new life and new civilizations is more than enough for me. Building a base when I get there is icing on the cake.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I hope the music used in that video is what we can expect in the game proper. It fits the theme and mood perfectly.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    why does this game look so

fucking

good

Zek wrote: »
    why does this game look so

fucking

good

Because space is awesome.

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    This seems to be the only game I'll ever need to play again.

Vive la Terran Empire Galactique!

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I remember how much I went back and forth about buying Terreria. I will not have that problem this time.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Did you get it in the end? Because it's a good game....but the devs just gave up on it. A true shame.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Woah. Stairs that actually function as stairs.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Yep. I ended up getting it eventually. And until recently, it was my second most played Steam game. Even though I hadn't played it in roughly 3 months.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Some videos of them testing stuff on the stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/tiyuri/b/355304892

The wait for this game is killing me so hard. Unnnghhh.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Everytime this thread reappears on the first page, I always hope its because a release date has been announced.

Everytime I am disappointed.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    damn, that last video is looking great.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I have learned about this game just now.

Maximum boner status: achieved.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    My god these video teasers and wallpapers of the moment are fucking.killing.me.

• EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I want this. Badly. Hope we get it in the next six months!

I also hope it's a lot easier to set up multiplayer than it was for Terraria.

Emberquick on
    steam_sig.png
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
  • Out Of ContextOut Of Context Registered User regular
    Big new thing for those following- Roadmap to the Stars

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Was going to make a character, but there's no hat option.

No good overalls option.

I'm going to review this early and give it 0/10 stars.

YL9WnCY.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Rorus, have you considered the scoring potential of Ztars?

This discussion has been closed.