As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wacom Intuos5 - Medium vs. Large

SigvaldrSigvaldr Registered User new member
I'm thinking about picking up a Wacom Intuos5 tablet to do some graphic design/hobby drawing work. I've heard elsewhere that large would be good for illustrating/CAD/etc., whereas the medium is better for photo touch-ups and stuff like that. I've also heard monitor size can be an issue - mine is a 27" 1920x1080.

What do you think? There's definitely a price difference. I wouldn't want to get the large if I'd probably just end up using the center of it. On the other hand, I'm worried that drawing might feel a bit cramped on a medium. Any advice?

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    You may want to drop by the Artist's Corner and ask in the Questions thread, too. :)

To be honest, you can use any size for any type of project. The monitor vs. tablet space, however, might be something to consider. I'm running a 1680x1050 resolution, and I have the 4"x6" Intuos3. I intentionally didn't get a bigger size, because I'm most comfortable when I don't have to move my hand around very much. It's easier to draw curves and such smoothly on larger tablets, but I'd hardly say they're necessary.

Is there a computer store/Staples around you? I know they usually sell Wacom tablets. It might be nice to run the pen over the surface and get an idea of how each size feels. IMO, I'd try to match how much you move your mouse when picking up a tablet - your choice might feel better/more natural to you.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    JAGSJAGS Orlando/VietnamRegistered User regular
    Personally I'd recommend the medium. It's quite large enough in my opinion. I assume you haven't used one before? Unless your used to standing up and painting on a big canvas the large will probably feel too large.

I think his idea about visiting staples is good. You may also check to see where you can buy locally with some kind of a return policy. Even if they hit you with a restocking fee that's better than having the wrong size "forever" ;)

Cursed MECH 1/2 Tower Defense 1/2 Twin Stick Action. FREE 2 Play.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/budleiser/web-and-ios-game-twin-stick-shooter-tower-defense
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Size comes down to preference... however if you don't have any experience from which to derive that preference consider your work space. Large tablets are... well... LARGE (19.2" x 12.5"), the medium tablets are also big (15" x 9.9") but manage to fit in a normal desk without becoming a nuisance. (Note that the size I mentioned are not the active-drawing-surface, but the footprint of the entire tablet)

I chose the medium because I didn't want to deal with a gigantic table eating up all the space on my desk. Medium is big enough for me, I vote for that one.

Sigvaldr, do you draw on sketchbooks? What size are they?