As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me pick a scary movie!

kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
So today is Halloween, and it's pretty much the one day of the year I get permission from the lady to pick a scary movie to watch. The only problem is, we don't own any good ones, so I might need some help slogging through internet services, and I was hoping H/A could give me a hand. Some notes:

We have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I'm not adverse to renting something on Amazon if it's good.
Would prefer something that is not a gore fest. (last year with a group of friends we watched Night of the Living Dead and Scream)
We both liked Paranormal Activity, and this is more the vein I'm hoping to find.
I would prefer it be in English.

So, help me find a good Halloween movie!

PSN: the-K-flash

• KrubixCubeKrubixCube JapanRegistered User regular
    The Shining, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Psycho, Silence of the Lambs (more a thriller), The Thing (kind of gory in a way though...), Dawn of the Dead (the old one, not the remake), Drag Me To Hell

Non English ones that are also good:

The Orphanage (spanish), Ju-On (Japanese), Rec (Spanish), Shutter (Thai),

To name a few. Hope some of those tickle your fancy.

sig.gif
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Absentia.

Grave Encounters.

Both are on Netflix Instant.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Slither is streaming on Netflix.

edit: might sort of be a gorefest. I mean, kind of. I don't know what constitutes a gorefest.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    Looks like Netflix has an absolutely huge selection to choose from. If you want the scariest, I'd say go with The Thing... Though it is fairly gory. I also highly recommend An American Werewolf in London, Hellraiser, and Creepshow. These also have their fair share of gore though. I'd say maybe Werewolf would be the tamest of the four, I think?

If you want something a bit more light-hearted, I noticed they also have Tucker and Dale vs Evil. That movie is fairly gory as well, but the more comedic tone might help offset any squeamishness.

If you want to cut out gore entirely but still want a spooky movie, check out the original House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The original Robert Wise version of The Haunting.

Platy on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    By gorefest do you mean movies like Hostel & Saw? Or Does that also include movies like say Friday the 13th, or Nightmare on Elm Street... where people die, and there is lots of blood, but it's over the top, spraying everywhere type of blood.

But anyway I suggest if you haven't seen it previously, check out the original Nightmare on Elm Street. I think it's my favorite horror movie of all time. (And whatever you do, make sure you don't waste your one "scary movie" night of the year, on the horrible piece of shit remake of NoES).

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Might fall under the "gorefest" tag, but Candyman is legitimately terrifying. The Host is a Korean monster movie; not super-scary.

How, like, scary do you want these movies to be? Like, seriously scary, or just more fun genre films?

I just watched Creepshow for the first time in, like, twenty-five years, and it doesn't hold up great.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ju-On is legit scary, not very gorey, and STILL sometimes scares the shit out of out of nowhere while I'm trying to get to sleep. I saw it about 7 years ago.

Never saw the second, fuck that

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    ceres wrote: »
    Ju-On is legit scary, not very gorey, and STILL sometimes scares the shit out of out of nowhere while I'm trying to get to sleep. I saw it about 7 years ago.

The Grudge, which was the American remake, did this to me, I didn't even want to mess with the Japanese one. I had the bright idea of putting the second one on for a couple of minutes when I was trying to fall asleep one night (I make REALLY poor decisions when I'm exhausted). Woke me right the fuck up and I think I ended up watching Spongebob or something for a couple of hours to help me not freak out.

Also I saw The Ring like, 9 years ago and still get uneasy walking past a tv in a dark room at night. Admittedly I am an enormous wuss but still, eurgh

Melinoe on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    Melinoe wrote: »
    Melinoe wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »

The Grudge, which was the American remake, did this to me, I didn't even want to mess with the Japanese one. I had the bright idea of putting the second one on for a couple of minutes when I was trying to fall asleep one night (I make REALLY poor decisions when I'm exhausted). Woke me right the fuck up and I think I ended up watching Spongebob or something for a couple of hours to help me not freak out.

Also I saw The Ring like, 9 years ago and still get uneasy walking past a tv in a dark room at night. Admittedly I am an enormous wuss but still, eurgh

Ju-on and Ringu are THE scariest movies I have ever seen in my life. No shit. Reading the subtitles doesn't even lessen the impact because the scariest moments generally don't have any dialog. The US version of The Ring didn't scare me nearly as much, and I haven't seen The Grudge.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Forget The Grudge. It's got nothing.

Ju-On, all the way, if you want a lot of scare for a little blood.

• Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    If you liked paranormal activity look at Insidious

http://youtu.be/E1YbOMDI59k

6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Wow, good suggestions so far. Let me clarify a couple things. When I say gorefest, I mean movies where the is gore for the sake of gore. (Hostel was a good example I saw up further up). We watch The Walking Dead together, which has plenty of blood and guts, but it's appropriate to the setting, which is fine.

I have seen The Grudge and Quarantine and, while they are both Americanized versions of others mentioned, enjoyed them. The Grudge was very scary. I am hoping to find something that is legitimately frightening.

I've been considering Insidious, after seeing the cover for ages on Netflix.

Is Ju-on on Netflix?

PSN: the-K-flash
    Not from what I can see. :/ It looks like there are some sequels up, but I haven't seen those and can't recommend.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The Ring, Poltergeist and Arachnophobia are probably the three movies that affected me the most, although I was pretty young for Poltergeist and Arachnophobia. I loved The Ring even though the freakiest part was actually a special feature of the DVD.