As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Offset

muninnmuninn Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
For those not familiar with the game, a bunch of people got together once, and decided to make a game. They wowed the tubez with their engine shots, and art direction, but most people dismissed them, as it was a "fan project".

The origins of the whole thing, as posted on the official website http://www.projectoffset.com/
Offset Software started as 3 people: Sam McGrath, Travis Stringer and Trevor Stringer. Initally working out of an apartment and completely self-funded, the engine and all art was created with a tiny budget -- just enough to purchase the software and hardware needed for development. The budget was small but the goal was big: to create a next generation First Person Shooter set in a fantasy world (codenamed "Project Offset"), and a powerful game engine to run it.

After a year and a half of programming work by Sam McGrath on the game engine, and with the amazing artistic skills of Travis and Trevor Stringer, the three released the two "Sneak Peek" videos, showing off the technology and world behind Project Offset. The videos took the gaming industry by storm, showing that high quality, next generation technology, graphics, and gameplay rivaling that of the biggest game studios, could still be created by a small team.

Shortly thereafter, Rod Green and Sharif Elcott joined the team, and thus started the expansion of the Offset team to the 19 developers that are currently involved.

Well here is a new trailer for the game, and it looks like "teh sex", as kids say it these days.
http://gametrailers.com/player/22926.html?type=

Personally, I am amazed how far this project came along, and how few dedicated people can give a collective kick in the nuts of the bloated gaming industry.
Sure we dont have a final product yet, but what has been shown is very encouraging.

Do we have any other examples of little guys making amazing games? I guess this would be the thread to post those stories.

muninn on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was looking on their forums after being extremely impressed by the trailer. According to them, it wasn't supposed to be released and was just a mockup for internal use.

I think Little Big Planet developers Mediamolecule started life as a very small team.

Rook on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been watching PO for nearly a year now - it is my dream game.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Someone bumped this thread http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=21189&highlight=project+offset like two days ago also.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fun fact: The project offset engine was licensed to Red 5, a team comprising of former leads from World or Warcraft, Tribes, and a bevy of other major licenses. Apparantly they're making an MMO...and they licensed Project Offset.

Mind go crazy!

Polago on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My jaw was on the floor once the in game footage started

Etch on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Etch wrote: »
    My jaw was on the floor once the in game footage started

redfenix on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have to agree that it was pretty impressive. Made Dark Messiah look like chump cookies.

devoir on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wasn't there some interviews around showcasing their engine? I remember something like G4 or somebody doing an interview.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The older trailers went a bit more indepth into the combat, which looked awesome.

This game looks hot... I'm sad it will make my PC want to kill itself.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I started looking at the concept art and was like "that's cool, but you need more than concept art" and then the in-game stuff came and my jaw just dropped.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Squad based multiplayer? Give it to me.

Accualt on
  • Options
    PhilthePillPhilthePill Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fuck.

PhilthePill on
    I'm gonna sing the DOOM SONG now. DOOMY doom domm doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doom-doom...
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Once the in-game footage started all I could think of was, "No fucking way!" That's awesome, it reminds me of DMoMM (which I should buy and play through), but more awesome.

edit: also, the concept art reminds me of Craig Mullens work.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The older trailers went a bit more indepth into the combat, which looked awesome.

This game looks hot... I'm sad it will make my PC want to kill itself.

It may, it may not. Savage had amazing graphics yet was very PC friendly.

rayofash on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Like others have said this is Dark Messiah on Steroids. And it started with just 3 guys? DANG.

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    Like others have said this is Dark Messiah on Steroids. And it started with just 3 guys? DANG.

These 3 guys are incredibely experienced though.

rayofash on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My jaw has been floored, not because of how incredibly gorgeous the game looks, but because it was made by such an incredibly small team and on such a low budget.
    These guys have a free pass into just about any dev company they want, methinks.

'Do you have a portfolio, Mr. Guy?'
    'Sure! You may have heard of..' (shows video of the game)
    (interviewer's jaw drops) 'When can you start?'

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    redfenix wrote: »
    Etch wrote: »
    My jaw was on the floor once the in game footage started. Then all my dicks etc..

Rizzi on
  • Options
    ubeyubey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    as crazy as it may sound, for some reason i'm more impressed with the concept art

not that the game itself looks bad or anything

ubey on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    My jaw has been floored, not because of how incredibly gorgeous the game looks, but because it was made by such an incredibly small team and on such a low budget.
    These guys have a free pass into just about any dev company they want, methinks.

'Do you have a portfolio, Mr. Guy?'
    'Sure! You may have heard of..' (shows video of the game)
    (interviewer's jaw drops) 'When can you start?'

These guys didn't have a small budget, they've made games before. Very successful games.

It may be small compared to commercial developers, but compared to most indy developers it's pretty big.

rayofash on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I interviewed these folks ages ago back in my etoy days. Back then they were acting like it was just them doing the coding from a joint apartment. Very small indeed, but it was cool seeing what they had managed to put together with so little money.

etoychest on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I hate committing thread necromancy like this but I was curious if anybody had heard any news about Project Offset after they were acquired by Intel? The last news update on their main site is from February 2008 and the last dev. blog they posted was even farther back.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Um holy shit that started as independent development? That looked fantastic, I'm definitely interested.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Holy fuck. Want. Gimme. Now.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Holy shit, I actualy started a thread on PA? Must have been drunk....
    It just felt wrong to see my Avatar in the OP....

muninn on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This has always smelled like vaporware to me. Perhaps with Intel behind it it's going somewhere but for all the amazing stuff they've put out it just seemed like they were biting off a lot more than they can chew.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    With the way they've been silent for 5 months or so that is a very big possibility. I hope not because what they've shown has a lot of potential to become an awesome game but I guess I should go ahead and prepare myself to be disappointed.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow. I saw the concept art and thought "oh, great, it's vaporware."

Then the footage starts and I go "Huh."

Then I see the range of view and the giant creatures in the background and I go "HOLY #!@$$@"

GimeC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well to be honest, there have been long ass info blackouts before, so hopefully its just one of them.... and nothing more nefarious.

muninn on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All I really got from the trailer is they have good art direction. Not sure what else to think about it at this point. Could it be fun? Maybe!

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    Well to be honest, there have been long ass info blackouts before, so hopefully its just one of them.... and nothing more nefarious.

Shit, look at how long it took before PREY actually came out.

It wasn't nearly as awesome then as it would have been back in the day, but still.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    muninn wrote: »

Shit, look at how long it took before PREY actually came out.

It wasn't nearly as awesome then as it would have been back in the day, but still.

Original Prey was scratched, and wasnt in development for decades, until some other developer picked up the name. I dont think this situation is in any way similar, as this is barely supported, indy effort with no brand name recognition.

muninn on
  • Options
    ArvoArvo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You also got to remember it will take longer with such a small team. So that doesn't necessarily mean its gunna get canceled or anything if you haven't seen any word on it for a while. Also, its gunna be real easy for less then a dozen people to keep a lid on whats going on with it.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
    5090509oKRAv.png<<<Links to Armory
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait... Parallel story telling? That means each class will have their own story or there will be branching paths, right? Either way, this is pretty awesome, even by mainstream standards.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All my dicks.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    From what it sounds like, there isn't a main character. Its chopped up into multiple stories each with a different character and abilities.

You think this will make gameplay slower since you'll most likely have to constaintly learn how to play a different character type throughout the game?

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "Parallel story telling" was done in Age of Conan, and I thought it was pretty cool.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'd say a better example would be Eternal Darkness. But all your abilities and whatnot were the same for each character and all your power ups would transfer to the next guy.

This is learning a new type of gameplay each character change it sounds like.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png