As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Convoy poll: Where will you start off?

• Options
    AmmamarieAmmamarie AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Perth
    @dragonbear Let me know for sure. It will be my Sister and I if it is cheaper than flying. Would be an adventure :)

• Options
    FPFr0styFPFr0sty Registered User regular
    Well; it would cost you around $600-800 for fuel(it gets more expensive as you get into country land)... but you also have the other downside to.. what if you break down (so make sure your with RACV)

• Options
    DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    Perth
    @Ammamrie I will start asking around and check flights, vehicles, petrol and so on. One of them mentioned taking the train so we could maybe buy new motorbikes in Melbourne and ride them back. I wouldn't want to arrange a convoy and ditch you on the way home! I'm thinking of a week in Melb starting the Tuesday before. Especially if I get enforcer :) What dates are you thinking of?

• Options
    Perth
    @Dragonbear Cool sounds like a plan.. We have looked at flights but are waiting to see what the PAX discounts may be. We haven't really thought about dates as yet. We both might be studying again next year so we were originally thinking about arriving the day before and leaving the following monday morning. Wasn't planning on Enforcing this year either. mmm reading back on that it might just be easier flying. I really don't know.

• Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    Sydney
    I'm also looking to grab a ride from sydney down to melbourne for PAX! but I am still trying to scramble for cash to pay for it all.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Canberra
    If the Convoy from Sydney goes through Canberra I'd like to get seat in a car. Will help pay for fuel.

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    XeionXeion Registered User new member
    Sydney
    I would be travelling from Bathurst NSW, either to the coast (I prefer) or the country route. Not sure on seat availability yet.

• Options
    Sydney
    i am still looking for ways to get their (other than drive) and hotels...haven't booked anything yet and waiting on what discounts the PA people can drum up!

• Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Brisbane
    Another option is, sharing multi room accommodation with other people? Can get pretty cheap when you get short stay apartments with other gamers. having shared with people for GenCon Indy, I didn't think it was that bad :D

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Sydney
    Danacyrus wrote: »
    Another option is, sharing multi room accommodation with other people? Can get pretty cheap when you get short stay apartments with other gamers. having shared with people for GenCon Indy, I didn't think it was that bad :D

I don't mind that idea though I would be weary of possible lack of privacy but I am open to that idea.

EDIT: if people are gonna do road trips then i hope you got some good listening material.

thegh0sts on
  • Options
    Canberra
    Guys guys!

Pax Train Ride! A Whole bunch of us get the syd to melb train, stake out a whole carriage for ourselves? Carriages have power points and some of them even have usb power points i hear. Mobile Lan? Gaming Lounge on the go? Best. Idea. Ever.

you can thank me later.

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    Sydney
    FatSoDa wrote: »
    Guys guys!

Pax Train Ride! A Whole bunch of us get the syd to melb train, stake out a whole carriage for ourselves? Carriages have power points and some of them even have usb power points i hear. Mobile Lan? Gaming Lounge on the go? Best. Idea. Ever.

you can thank me later.

that's like an 8am departure from strathfield/central

• Options
    Canberra
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    Guys guys!

you can thank me later.

that's like an 8am departure from strathfield/central

CONVOY!!!

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    Sydney
    not really helpful!

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Canberra
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    not really helpful!

apologies, since i read the title of this thread 3 days ago, i have had Homer Simpson in my head singing "We got a great big convoy" i was attempting to share the pain, didnt work.

FatSoDa on
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Sydney
    Does anyone have a quick and dirty BBcode script for a poll? I'd like to add some info to the OP but I am a scripting newb :/

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zerochosen wrote: »
    Does anyone have a quick and dirty BBcode script for a poll? I'd like to add some info to the OP but I am a scripting newb :/

That's actually not possible on this forum. However, you can create a new thread as a poll..

• Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Brisbane
    Very much still in the "Considering" phase for driving with people. It's a long... long... long... long... drive from Brisbane...

• Options
    Canberra
    yeah you want know you'll get along

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    Road Trip: Western subs - R.MSG.. 20min...
    Blast :(

• Options
    Brisbane
    Well for me it's less the 'get along' thing and more the fact that it's not a very enjoyable drive imo, and I'd be driving still on my Red P's so it's not exactly the best idea. That and It's a case of Time Vs Value for me >.< I can either have an extra two days in Melbourne eating drinking and seeing the foodies scene and meeting up with other people, or spend two days on a road trip XD At the moment I'm thinking two days in foodie heaven is sounding more tempting >.<

• Options
    Perth
    @Ammamrie do you have somewhere to stay yet? I don't, but I have four people looking for two rooms for the 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st at least.

• Options
    billthesiumbillthesium BrisbaneRegistered User new member
    Brisbane
    I was considering driving but also decided not to cosplay. So I won't need to worry about getting pulled up at the airport asking me why I'm carrying a hidden assassins creed blade. I booked flights.
    I do like the sound of the train. Maybe next pax.

• Options
    Perth
    Research done.

Accommodation in progress (thanks @Danacyrus)

Travel summary from Perth as follows:
    QANTAS flights: $500 return per person, basic economy price, no specials investigated. Time taken, about half a day.
    Driving: $500 petrol plus $800 maintenance (est) per vehicle, possible cost for 4 people down to $250 per person(ish). Time taken, up to 3 days each way.
    Train: $2,500 to $4,000 per person. Dates prohibitive (Dep Perth 14th July, return Melb 25th July) Time taken, 3 days each way plus waiting for departures.

Decision: Flying, spending extra time in Melb meeting peeps, eating, drinking and generally carousing :-)

• Options
    Sydney
    i don;t think driving is good...too long AND BORING!

• Options
    Perth
    @dragonbear Just messaged you in the Accom thread. We are still looking for accom. Hoping to get a 3 bedroom apartment approx 250 each with a 6 person share. We are flying too :) less stressful:)

• Options
    DaCrawDaCraw Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    If the Convoy from Sydney goes through Canberra I'd like to get seat in a car. Will help pay for fuel.

I'm in Melbourne, so all of this comes with a pinch of salt, but iff the convoy is taking the Hume then an ACT divert will add about ~1-1.5 hours. Once they hit Canberra, it's about ~8hours with 2 stops (Tarcutta and Holbrook IMO) if you follow the speed limit. I went to uni at the ANU, so I know this route well. If you can't get a car, flying down is reasonable. It typically took me 1.5-2 tanks of petrol in my reasonably efficient car, at about $50-60/tank (I usually filled up before I left, and again at Holbrook).

To clarify, it'll be cheaper for you if they are already heading through Canberra (or if you can convince them to - shouting them a round or three at the wig ought to do it), but if they want to take the direct route flying will cost you about $150 ($20 cab in Canberra, $100 flight, $30 public transport in Melbourne).

DaCraw on
    ---
  • Options
    djkizzadjkizza Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Brisbane
    Danacyrus wrote: »
    Very much still in the "Considering" phase for driving with people. It's a long... long... long... long... drive from Brisbane...

I'll be driving with my bf and perhaps 2 of our friends. I'm looking forward to the drive! :D

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Brisbane
    Random question, are you driving back?

Ignore that. Stupidest question I've EVER asked...

Danacyrus on
  • Options
    Sydney
    Looks like we're wracking up some Sydney people... nice!

• Options
    vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    .....there're a few nice pubs in Albury, and countless nice small pubs on the way I'm sure.

There most certainly are...and also if you wanted to break it up, there is some nice cheap places to stay as well.

(Sorry... but only have a two bed room house with a son and wife... )

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • Options
    RABicleRABicle Registered User regular
    Perth
    Flights are $500 return from Perth if you want to not die and lose your luggage. I actually can't imagine a convoy working out cheaper when you factor in fuel, accommodation and food. And fuck, it'll be so uncomfortable.

• Options
    Sydney
    I'm not really thinking of doing the road trip to save money... more for the experience. That being said, I probably wouldn't do it if I was coming from Perth.

• Options
    If pax ever goes to Perth.. or Darwin(1% chance) I would do a road trip... love my driving...

• Options
    Sydney
    FPFr0sty wrote: »
    If pax ever goes to Perth.. or Darwin(1% chance) I would do a road trip... love my driving...

I'll see how I go once I get my fancy new bike seat... nothing's impossible :)

• Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    Sydney
    I'd love to do the nullabor on my bike, numb arse be damned!

steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    CamaranCamaran Catamaran MelbourneRegistered User regular
    There's no Melbou... Oh wait :P

Nah, it will be great to see which corners of the country everyone comes from! :D

• Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    Sydney
    So I'm still up for a motorbike ride from Sydney to melb. Are people thinking the inner route via the Hume or the longer but more interesting coastal route?

steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    Sydney
    I wouldn't mind either way, either way is going to be damn hardcore on a bike :)

• Options
    Sydney
    i can't stand long rides like on interstate trains....so i am taking the plane instead! now i need to figure out how much to take but still have enough space for any goodies!