As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] This week on Dota 2: Brood update, unreleased hero texture work, and PRD.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Sneyking is wrecking shop with Undying right now. Went solo long against a Trilane and shut them down, dropped tier 1 at 7:30.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Diretide is out.

I haven't played it.

There's barely any info on how it works.

I'm sure nobody will complain about the new mode.

I ate an engineer
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    well guess what!

I have a complaint!

Diretide gives you unlimited easy hats.

All the suck hats and are for heroes that also suck.

zzz

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    A legitimate complaint with Diretide might be that it's basically only good for carries with extreme mobility options and dodge. It's hilarious and gives tons of hats and is pretty sweet in general, but it's like ultra EM for the initial "competitive" part.

I ate an engineer
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    i think it is absolutely hilarious

the rosh fight has gotten boring after you do it 2 times or so

but the "get free money and fight people non stop" is really, really hilarious

free money modes are always so relaxing

19ZUtIw.png
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Do I get the essences for my egg by doing more Diretide or are they something I have to buy?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Do I get the essences for my egg by doing more Diretide or are they something I have to buy?

By Diretide. You can't even buy them, just the egg. They're not guaranteed, though.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Diretide is wonderful because nobody has anything mean to say!
    I wish the game was always this happy!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    Diretide is wonderful because nobody has anything mean to say!
    I wish the game was always this happy!

I had one round where someone was yelling a lot in Russian over voice chat. When there's a guaranteed item to the winner of the first part, some are going to take it seriously.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Yeah I have had some people take it pretty seriously and get mad about it. I played like, 2 hours after it was released and had people flipping their shit at people not knowing what is going on.

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Everyone I played with recognized it as bullshit. DotA doesn't actually have enough mobile carries for winning not to be dictated by who picks them first.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    Yeah, some people take diretide way too seriously. One of my teammates became angry at me cause I picked Alch, saying its not useful.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
    Alchemist is certainly one of the more useful picks for Rosh killing, because of dat dere BAT. Then again, the fastest Rosh time was bugged last time I checked, by which I mean a ~5 minute rosh kill was reported as .1 second.

The only thing I'm annoyed about so far was that I had a match I was supposed to win a Shadow Essence... and I just got a second copy of the uncommon Axe axe that I won for winning the first round.

I have the mythical axe weapon as a weapon drop already. I don't need to win two axe weapons in the preceeding games and then win two copies of another axe weapon.

I ate an engineer
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    milski wrote: »
    Playing with experienced players leads to very interesting matchmaking results that could make it hard to learn. Advice from experienced players is good, though. Picking certain heroes, which I'm sure other people will have recommendations for based on your preference, also eases in the learning curve.

Also, saying "don't get upset, but I'm going to make this upsetting and baseless statement" isn't really going to stop it form being upsetting and baseless. It's a "prototype" to League only in that it came first and League is in the same genre; their design is very, very different.

Playing with people much better than me is how I learn, I guess. When I started playing MtG, I was playing with people that would play in competitive tournaments and would regularly compete on day 2 in GPs as well as top 8 on occassion. I never got great at the game, but I got much better than I was prior to playing to them. I don't mind getting crushed in games, as long as I feel like I'm learning. It's also how I learned LoL. I played with people close to, if not, level 30 when I was still sub 10. So I never did well, but I learned from my mistakes because my opponents always made me pay for them. I learned if I did X, they would do Y, and Z would be the result.
    Page- wrote: »
    i would recommend you don't play games you don't like and aren't interested in.

If that were the case, I would never have played many of the games over the years that I have enjoyed. The fact it's so popular piques my interest.
    Sicarii wrote: »
    Ryadic wrote: »
    So I got a beta invite to this game. A month later I play the game finally. 2 weeks later I'm making this post. As you can see I'm bursting with excitement to learn another MOBA.

Between this, LoL, and Smite I'm getting pretty burnt out on the genre. Oh and Super MNC which was such a shitty game for me. I literally spent every game trying to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do. It felt more like a deathmatch at times than it did a MOBA.

Well nonetheless, I would like to at least give this game a fair shot before I dismiss it completely. I wasn't too impressed with the first two games I played. I've not been impressed with the streams I've seen. The game just looks like a prototype to LoL (which the original was essentially). I know that the people who truly enjoy this game will probably be offended by that, but don't get too upset. I know this game is a lot deeper than LoL. Or at least that's what everyone says. I don't know if I want to play a game more complex and unforgiving than LoL is. That game stresses me out enough. But I do want to play a few games to get a pretty fair assessment if that is the case.

So what would you guys recommend? I would probably think playing with experienced players would be my best option. Get advice on what to do. Where to go, what to build, etc...

Wait what.

The original Dota (still played by a far amount of people today btw) has been around for 9 years. It's not the prototype of LoL, it's the originator of the entire genre. It was around for 5 years before LoL was even first announced.

That all notwithstanding, these games can be pretty hard to jump into since they require pretty much encyclopedic knowledge of the character's and mechanics in order to be competitive. Pretty much why I have no interest in LoL.

If you're looking for some reasons why to choose this game over League that isn't "it's far more deep and rewarding" than my basic arguments are:
    1. All heroes available, no bullshit buying. Game is legitimately free to play.
    2. You can not pay or grind advantages. The only thing separating players is skills and experience, not a grinding/monetary system which gives some players an unfair advantage. Especially over new players.
    3.Made by Valve. This one is obviously my own personal bias but the last time I've bought a game in the last 5 years that wasn't made by Valve, I bought on the steam platform. I trust Valve to make a great game and support the community around its game.

I limed the part that is probably the most important part to me. I hate seeing new champs released in LoL only to find out that they are 6300 IP (Seriously, what the fuck Riot?) and then the ones that are released lately I just don't really find interesting mechanics wise.

I guess when I say "prototype" I mean that they made a genre within the WC3 engine as best they could to make a game they envisioned. But with the restrictions, it just didn't seem complete so games like DotA 2, LoL, Hon, etc... expand on this to add new features and improve gameplay. I don't mean anything bad by it, that's just how the game feels to me.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Diretide is fun and hilarious! Some boiled down DotA. And only ~25 minutes every time!

Spectating one game, the most interesting thing about it for me was that Candies give experience and gold to both teams when they enter a pot. Candies are a zero sum game that accelerate the power curve. It's interesting. What does this mean? If you're a carry, smack pots to farm erry day. Even if you don't get any candies home, each candy put back into a pot will farm you. That's the theory at least.

Also; hilarious fun fact: Meepo's currently bugged so that he gets a candy reward for each meepo on the map when they enter the pot.

At least, that's what it seemed like last night when I played him twice and had 2500 gpm both times. I bought four divine rapiers!

He's instant win. Or was last night. No one was playing him though; I'd be shocked if it wasn't hot fixed but also I must wonder if anyone found this bug...

oh yeah meepo is def bugged, after we got pooped on one game we picked him every game. he can still lose to things like tinker (the first time we picked meepo he just march of the machines spammed while their sand king burrowstrike epicentered all the meepos, so it was really difficult to keep one alive) but if the enemy team has no AoE you can just kind of walk in with 4 reavers and aghanim's

with 5 meepos you'll steal 5/15th's of the experience, basically getting 5 times more than anyone else, and i think you might even get gold per meepo too

19ZUtIw.png
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    How long is diretide going to last? I still don't have enough power and probably won't get it back until Monday. Yes I am wasting important rt phone battery on Dota posting.

If someone could email somebody important at valve about how thousands of east coast players can't play in this event because of the hurricane, maybe they'll extend it!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I guess when I say "prototype" I mean that they made a genre within the WC3 engine as best they could to make a game they envisioned. But with the restrictions, it just didn't seem complete so games like DotA 2, LoL, Hon, etc... expand on this to add new features and improve gameplay. I don't mean anything bad by it, that's just how the game feels to me.

Dota 2 only very very barely expands on Dota. Also, League's engine is incredibly limited in a lot of ways, to the point where even the WC3 engine is legitimately better for about half of the things in the games.

I ate an engineer
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Okay so what is this crazy nonsense? I tried one game, have no idea what I was doing, but I won, scoring the last mythical I was missing... What is going on? Whats with the eggs? What is going on? What is going ON!

As for the timing, the essence items expire on november 12th, if that is any indication.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    Basically: All towers are invincible, lanes occasionally spawn super roshlings that drop candy, candy makes you much weaker while holding it, you want the most candy. All candy deposited into any bucket gives both teams lots of gold and EXP, and gives Meepo more than he should be getting (possibly also gives Brewmaster more during his ult, dunno). Everybody gets rich, everybody gets an item (or chest or essence) for rosh, with a chance at an item for winning the first stage.

I ate an engineer
    so 2 items, every game/every 25 minutes? wow...

PSN | Steam
    ___
    Well, you only get 1 item for sure, and the guaranteed item can be a chest or essence. Though if you play Meepo, you really shouldn't ever lose...

I ate an engineer
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    I wonder if Hand of Midas works on Roshlings? A silly pick up in a 20 minute game but... someone like lone druid could farm both top and bottom for candies, having bear and druid turn in regularly to become silly OP really fast. Hrm.

Neither Midas nor Clinkz nor Chen/Enchantress work on Roshlings, I believe.

I ate an engineer
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so question about meepo skill use

I just watched purge's vid and i still couldn't figure it out.

if you have your clones out and are all selected, does using your skill cause all your meepos to use that skill or do you need to do it for each individual meepo?

like if i wanted all my meepos to poof to attack someone i could select all, target the poof, then everyone tps to the closest meepo to the target area?

camo_sig.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    so question about meepo skill use

I just watched purge's vid and i still couldn't figure it out.

if you have your clones out and are all selected, does using your skill cause all your meepos to use that skill or do you need to do it for each individual meepo?

like if i wanted all my meepos to poof to attack someone i could select all, target the poof, then everyone tps to the closest meepo to the target area?

You have to poof each Meepo individually, either by having separate control groups for each one or by tabbing through the selected Meepos.

If you have all five meepos selected, just like if you have a group of units selected (e.g. Chen and his creeps), you can make them all move and attack as a group, but you tab between them to cast spells. The same goes for Meepo and using his skills (or boots of travel).

I ate an engineer
  • HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    New patch includes Diretide fixes

DIRETIDE FIXES

- Fixed Death Prophet Announcer.
    - Sugar Rushed Roshan now casts his abilities using pure glucose rather than mana.
    - Diretide Roshan is now invulnerable prior to Sugar Rush.
    - Fixed the incorrect hero picker being shown when spectating Diretide games.
    - Added support for multiple rounds of Sugar Rush record tracking.
    - Glyph now works on the bucket.
    - Illusions now die if they attack the bucket.
    - Meepo dying will no longer remove candy from everyone.
    - Illusions no longer get bonus gold/xp from depositing candy in your bucket.
    - Fixed bug with re-picking granting too much gold.

Also cyborgmatt has his patch content analysis up
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/10/dota-2-31st-october/
    Dota2_Lion_Base.jpg
    Dota2_GreevilBooty.gif

HuntingNoob on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So, does anyone know what the eggs will do? Couriers? I want to know if it's worth my time or not to try and get one.

EDIT Nevermind, CyborgMatt has us covered.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    Afaik one new courier will hatch from an egg. The colors you fed your eggs determine the color of that courier.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    different parts too, i think. the gif there with the booty waving is a "naked" courier. they should all have wings and horns and stuff, but i think it changes dependent on combinations of essences?

so maybe everyone's will be unique which is kinda cool (though you can buy more eggs)

19ZUtIw.png
    also g-shred materials

MY BODY IS READY

19ZUtIw.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    got a red essence for my egg. 2 rosh kills in a row and got most candy last match. i just hung out top lane and kept farming. free candy essentially since everyone was in the middle killing each other. people kept yelling at me, but fuck them i gots candy

camo_sig.png
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    So, I got really lucky and got a Shadow Essence. Anyone know if you can add Unusual Essences to a Dreaded Egg?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    can't add any essences to a dreaded egg i don't think

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    nealcm wrote: »
    pretentious tell me you were P10 in that draskyll game where he sentry warded and shackled weaver with an invisible leshrac gank at level 1 and the guy died and immediately abandoned
    yes

i was like am or something boring so i was very pleased to get out of that game

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    that owned

19ZUtIw.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    sometimes you gotta (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ and bail

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I have pumped two essences into my egg so far. I doubt I will be able to fill it by the eleventh though, I am assuming that means it will not hatch.

I am also not sure if I love or hate this mode. The fact that you are guaranteed to get some stuff helps a lot though!

• HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Vic wrote: »
    I have pumped two essences into my egg so far. I doubt I will be able to fill it by the eleventh though, I am assuming that means it will not hatch.

I am also not sure if I love or hate this mode. The fact that you are guaranteed to get some stuff helps a lot though!

I think you only need to put one essence for the egg to hatch.
    Red Eggs : (Majority of Red Essences)

Ferocious Egg (Red type 1) : TBD, Hatch outcome : Red Greevil Level 1

Brutal Egg (Red type 2) : 2 Exort Essence, Hatch outcome : Red Greevil Level 2

Merciless Egg (Red type 3) : 3 Exort Essence, Hatch outcome : Red Greevil Level 3

Yellow Eggs : (Majority of Yellow Essences)

Anxious Egg (Yellow type 1) : TBD, Hatch outcome : Yellow Greevil Level 1

Eager Egg (Yellow type 2) : 2 Wex Essence, Hatch outcome : Yellow Greevil Level 2

Spirited Egg (Yellow type 3) : 3 Wex Essence, Hatch outcome : Yellow Greevil Level 3

Blue Eggs : (Majority of Blue Essences)

Stubborn Egg (Blue type 1) : TBD, Hatch outcome : Blue Greevil Level 1

Resolute Egg (Blue type 2) : 2 Quas Essence, , Hatch outcome : Blue Greevil Level 2

Determined Egg (Blue type 3) : 3 Quas Essence, Hatch outcome : Blue Greevil Level 3

Green Eggs : (Majority of Blue/Yellow Essences)

Covetous Egg (Green type 1) : 2 Quas/ 2 Wex, Hatch outcome : Green Greevil Level 1

Greedy Egg (Green type 2) : 3 Quas/ 3 Wex, Hatch outcome : Green Greevil Level 2

Orange Eggs : (Majority of Red/Yellow Essences)

Ravenous Egg (Orange type 1) : 2 Exort / 2 Wex, Hatch outcome : Orange Greevil Level 1

Voracious Egg (Orange type 2) : 3 Exort / 3 Wex, Hatch outcome : Orange Greevil Level 2

Purple Eggs : (Majority of Blue/Red Essences)

Cruel Egg (Purple type 1) : 2 Exort / 2 Quas, Hatch outcome : Purple Greevil Level 1

Wicked Egg (Purple type 2) : 3 Exort / 3 Quas, Hatch outcome : Purple Greevil Level 2

White Eggs (Majority of Red/Yellow/Blue Essences)

Blessed Egg (White type 1) : 2 Quas/2 Wex/2 Exort, Hatch outcome : White Greevil Level 1

Seraphic Egg (White type 2) : 3 Quas/3 Wex/ 3 Exort, Hatch outcome : White Greevil Level 2 ([4] Source, Confirmed Thanks Treguard)

Black Eggs

Dreaded Egg (Black type 1) : 1 Shadow Essence, Hatch outcome : Black Greevil Level 1

Natural Eggs

Imbued Egg (Natural type 1): 1 essence of any type except shadow OR All other combinations, Hatch outcome : Normal Greevil Level 1 (Naked)

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/12dwok/how_different_types_of_essences_affect_the/

Results of the G-1 League Group Stage
    iG playing really well, just destroying some if not all teams.
    OvANq.png

HuntingNoob on
This discussion has been closed.