As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phallandia: The Village of Dustin - Chapter 8: New Dawn in Dustin (Village Victory!)

1363738394042»

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    And I want to prop up Cesare's ego a bit more and say that that PM from the mafia was way too strongly worded. If you had said "guard <anyone at all> and we'll send him on a wild goose chase," I probably wouldn't have turned around and told jdark everything I knew, and asked him who to tell the mafia he wanted me to guard.

Well, mostly everything I knew. If he had succeeded in getting SoE voted out I would have just gone full-out survival neutral and sat on my hands for the rest of the game.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    ROLE PMs:

Village:
    Premium - You are the Phallandian Knight Captain.

As the Captain of the Phallandian Knights garrisoned in the village of Dustin, you are in charge of all Phallandian military forces stationed in the ancient monastery. It is your duty to protect the villagers and fend off attacks from any Imperial Invaders.

Power: Your many years of combat experience have served you well. Your prowess in battle is such that you are not easily got off guard and can deflect attacks that would otherwise cause mortal injury. However, you are only human, and like any other your strength and stamina wane with time. You are immune to the first attack targeted at you (Note: This does not include the vote).

Win Condition: Eliminate the threats to the village of Dustin and the Kingdom of Phallandia.

B:L - You are a Phallandian Knight.

You are one of the many Phallandian Knights garrisoned in the village of Dustin. It is your sworn duty to protect the villagers and fend off any attacks from the Imperial Invaders.

Power: Your combat training has made you apt with sword and shield. The shield work of the Phallandian Knights is known throughout all the lands, it is a style unparalleled. You are a Guard. Every Odd Night you may choose a player to Guard from incoming attacks.

Win Condition: Eliminate the threats to the village of Dustin and the Kingdom of Phallandia.

Egos - You are a Phallandian Knight.

You are one of the many Phallandian Knights garrisoned in the village of Dustin. It is your sworn duty to protect the villagers and fend off any attacks from the Imperial Invaders.

Power: Your combat training has made you apt with sword and shield. The shield work of the Phallandian Knights is known throughout all the lands, it is a style unparalleled. You are a Guard. Every Even Night you may choose a player to Guard from incoming attacks.

Mill - You are the Woodsman.

Nobody in all of Dustin is more at home in the woods than you are. You know the name of every tree, woodland creature, and hiking trail like the back of your hand. You could navigate the local woods blind, and have on occasion when traveling the woods at night.

Power: Over the years you have honed your tracking skills as you’ve hunted and foraged for food or helped find lost children. Whenever somebody needs help locating specific herbs in the woods, or if traveling merchants and dignitaries need a guide to ease their passage, you are the one they come to first. You are a Tracker. Every night you can track a target and discover if they used any actions.

TRV - You are the Hedge Wizard.

As the resident wizard, you are somewhat of an oddity in Dustin. Few people so far out from the capital possess magic, because of this the others villagers approach you with a mixture of curiosity and fear. Few of the villagers will risk direct contact, but those who do know you to be of kind heart. You frequently mix potions and medicines for the other villagers, and do so willingly and without recompense.

Power: Although you mostly dabble in medicinal potions, you do possess the spark of magic. You are a Seer. Every night you may call upon your powers to grant you a vision about your chosen target. This vision will grant you true knowledge about them.

Kime - You are the Mayor of Dustin.

You are the very definition of propriety, the big fish in a little pond, the head honcho. Whenever anybody in town has a problem they come to you and you make sure the problem gets fixed. You’ve held the post as long as anybody can remember and it doesn’t seem that is likely to change any time soon.

Power: You are a master orator. Your word carries a lot of weight with the villagers; when you talk, they listen. You are a Vote Manipulator. Your vote counts twice as much as everybody else’s.

KetBra - You are the Blacksmith.

Rugged, muscled, and calloused over; you spend most of your days toiling away in your forge. You have the disposition of tempered steel, you are surly and quick to anger. Despite your personal faults, your works are those of a master craftsman, and all the garrisoned Phallandian Knights prefer weapons and armor of your make.

Power: Living on the edge of the word suits you. The constant skirmishes with invaders give you an outlet for your aggression and you always gladly offer your services to the militia. You don’t just make the best swords around, you know how to use them too. You are a Vigilante. Every night you may target one person and show them the business end of your best blade.

Mafia:
    Kaplar - You are the Imperial Knight Captain.

You captain the forward assault squad sent by the Imperium Castratum to disrupt the treaty between the Kingdom of Phallandia and the Coalition of Free States. Your unit is a collection of some of the most well trained soldiers in the Imperial Army. You are tasked with harrying the villagers of Dustin, to slowly whittle away at their defenses until you can completely eliminate them and establish a forward base camp inside Phallandian borders.

Power: Your many years of combat experience have served you well. Your prowess in battle is such that you are not easily got off guard and can deflect attacks that would otherwise cause mortal injury. You are a Guard. Every night you may choose a player to Guard from incoming attacks.

Win Condition: Infiltrate the village of Dustin and eliminate the villagers and the garrison of Phallandian Knights so that you can establish a military foothold inside Phallandian borders.

CesareB - You are the Imperial Scout.

The scout is the cornerstone of every advance unit. Light on their feet, keen senses, the scouts warn of danger before it arrives and helps the group steer clear of it. A scout is vital to any mission, especially when infiltrating enemy territory.

Power: You are an excellent mobile tracker. Your keen senses and intuition when paired with your combat field experience allow you to notice and observe target movements and actions from a great distance. You are a Tracker. Every night you can track a target and discover if they used any actions.

Win Condition: Infiltrate the village of Dustin and eliminate the villagers and the garrison of Phallandian Knights so that you can establish a military foothold inside Phallandian borders.

Anialos - You are the Imperial Saboteur.

You know that infiltration of an enemy camp or town is best done with the aide of subterfuge, misdirection, and outright sabotage. Your expertise at disrupting supply lines and intercepting communiques is surpassed only by your talent with explosives.

Power: Sabotage is the name of the game, and you are an expert. Instead of killing the enemy, you prefer to disrupt them and watch them die the death of a thousand cuts. You are a Roleblocker. Every night you may select a target and prevent them from using any non-attack action.

ObiFett, Shalmelo, Langly - You are an Imperial Knight.

You are one of the many specially trained knights, brutal and ruthlessly efficient, selected by the Imperium Castratum to infiltrate the village of Dustin and eliminate the Phallandian presence before the Imperial Vanguard arrives.

Neutrals:
    SLyM - You are the Shield Arm of Nagarus.

The Brotherhood of Nagarus is a secret order devoted to hunting down, collecting, and safeguarding artifacts of great magical power. Ancient documents were uncovered in a collapsed section of the Capitol’s Great Library that indicated the presence of one such artifact hidden deep in the crypts of Dustin’s old monastery. As agents of the Brotherhood, you were dispatched to retrieve the artifact. You managed to locate it just as the conflict broke out, and managed to blend in with the monastery’s monks. Due to the sensitive nature of the artifact, you dare not risk moving it until the conflict has settled.

Power: The Shield Arm of Nagarus is as devout a protector as they come, willing to sacrifice life and limb to safeguard his allies and the dangerous artifacts of power they are shielding from the world. You are a Guard. Every night you may choose a player to Guard from incoming attacks. You may not guard yourself.

Win Condition: The importance of the Brotherhood’s mission far exceeds that of the petty squabbles between nations. Your only goal is to ensure your survival until conflict’s end so that you can safely transport the artifact to the vault within the Brotherhood’s Sanctum. Be wary as the conflict progresses, you may not be the only ones in search of the ancient artifact.

Retaba - You are the Mouth of Nagarus.

The Brotherhood of Nagarus is a secret order devoted to hunting down, collecting, and safeguarding artifacts of great magical power. Ancient documents were uncovered in a collapsed section of the Capitol’s Great Library that indicated the presence of one such artifact hidden deep in the crypts of Dustin’s old monastery. As agents of the Brotherhood, you were dispatched to retrieve the artifact. You managed to locate it just as the conflict broke out, and managed to blend in with the monastery’s monks. Due to the sensitive nature of the artifact, you dare not risk moving it until the conflict has settled.

Power: The Mouth of Nagarus speaks for those in the organization who must remain hidden. They are the most discerning of individuals, at the Mouth’s discretion the order is revealed to select individuals. You are a Reverse Seer. Every night you may choose a target to whom you reveal your true identity and mission.

Win Condition: The importance of the Brotherhood’s mission far exceeds that of the petty squabbles between nations. Your only goal is to ensure your survival until conflict’s end so that you can safely transport the artifact to the vault within the Brotherhood’s Sanctum. Be wary as the conflict progresses, you may not be the only ones in search of the ancient artifact.

SaberOverEasy - You are a Zealot of the Church of Sacred Fire.

You are a true believer. The Church of Sacred Fire is a young religion in the larger history of Phallandia. They advocate the hard sciences, electing to use one of mankind’s first and greatest mechanical advances, Fire. They have a great distaste for magic and those who use it. They see the inclusive nature of the community capable of wielding magic and rail against it, instead advocating for technological advances that can be used by all. Some of the more conservative, zealous, members of the church have taken to expressing their beliefs in a more violent manner; burning those who use magic at the stake and looting ancient magical artifacts putting them to the torch. The great hypocrisy of the Church of Sacred fire, especially the more conservative branch of the church, is that they will use any means to bring about the world they envision, including magical ones.

Power: A former hedge wizard, you were snubbed and denied entrance to the Royal Magical Academy in the Capitol. Embittered by this, you turned and offered your services to a group who would appreciate your unique talents. The Church trained you in military combat and indoctrinated you into their dogma, and as converts are always the most dangerous of any religious group. You are a Seer-Vig. Every night you may target somebody to kill and target somebody to seer. You are also immune to the first attack targeted at you (You are not, however, immune to the vote).

Win Condition: The Church’s spies in the Capitol intercepted word of the discovery of an ancient magical artifact located in the monastery’s crypts in the village of Dustin. The Church also learned that agents of the Brotherhood of Nagarus had been dispatched to safely retrieve the artifact. The Church cares not which nation wins land in some petty battle; but as you are outnumbered, the battle will serve as an excellent diversion as you carry out your mission. Your mission is to locate and eliminate the agents of the Brotherhood of Nagarus and destroy the artifact they are protecting before the battle between the Kingdom and Imperial forces finishes. If the border skirmish finishes before you’ve eliminated the agents of the Brotherhood, they will escape with the artifact.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yay we lived!
    Boo I played horribly!
    Sorry village.
    Will be less bad next time :(
    I think you're awesome, and love playing Phalla with you
    but dude
    please do not tell everyone you're a seer, even supposedly "friendly" neutrals.

Loose lips sink ships and all that.
    Don't listen to jdark. This play is actually one of the reasons you won the game.

If you're not a seer, then I don't have a whole lot of reason to give you my seering targets. That means you never get jdark as a mouthpiece on day 2 to start forming a village network.

It's certainly not without it's risks, but it was a good play and it ended up working out for you. Even if you did get killed.
    Absolutely true. Saber did not betray you in any way, TRV, and in this case it did wind up netting us an early kill on Kaplar. But sharing info with SOE did lead to B:L's death (though indirectly).

But more generally, sharing information led to your death. If you hadn't spread around that information, you wouldn't have been implicated. All sorts of people knew you were the seer, not just SOE.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I think it's funny how many of the people I talked to were mafia without meaning to.

Also everyone I guarded.

Completely unintentionally.

I really need to work on my soft networking.

I was planning on dumping that all on Retaba's plate until he got killed, so that's why I really only started day 2.

Also the whole TRV obifett thing was because Retaba didn't tell me that he went through TRV to get obi guarded.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    What's the point of being mafia if you can't threaten people

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    we call that the REG Rysk play

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Hey, why'd the mafia have to go killing me right before giving up? Makes me feel like my death was in vain. Anyway...

I learned a ton about being a good villager in this game - most of it from Egos, from whom I learned basics of running a network and hunting mafia, subjects of which my knowledge was sorely lacking. I also got a healthy dose of paranoia, which I guess you also need to not be shit.

Thanks so much for running this, Kilnaga! I thought the survivor neutral masons and their hunter were really cool ideas, and ended up being my favorite part of the story - a high point in the narrations, for sure. I can't wait to see where that goes in the next one. Speaking of, shouldn't SOE's neutral victory be in the thread title as well?