As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disabling the mouse nub on a laptop?

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
So, we have this old Pentium III laptop at work (an IBM Thinkpad to be exact) and the mouse "nub" that controls the pointer has gone to shit. So, we plugged in an external USB mouse to take its place. Problem is, the nub still likes to freak out and move the pointer about sometimes. Is there anyway to disable it and keep it disabled? Thanks!

Esh on

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Check the mouse properties in control panel. My laptop has a touchpad and a nub and I can choose to disable one or both. It also has two sets of mouse buttons for whichever you are using and I can disable those as well.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Check the mouse properties in control panel. My laptop has a touchpad and a nub and I can choose to disable one or both. It also has two sets of mouse buttons for whichever you are using and I can disable those as well.

Unfortunately it doesn't give the option. I already checked there. I can uninstall it, but it just reinstalls it every time I reboot.

Esh on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Esh wrote: »

Unfortunately it doesn't give the option. I already checked there. I can uninstall it, but it just reinstalls it every time I reboot.

How can you uninstall it? If its through Device Manager, you should be able to disable the device.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

How can you uninstall it? If its through Device Manager, you should be able to disable the device.

I have four options when I right-click on the device.

Update Driver
    Uninstall
    Scan For Hardware Changes
    Properties

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking or telling me.

Esh on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Look under properties, there should be a disabling option there.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Update Driver
    Uninstall
    Properties

In the Device Manager, right-click on the mouse, select properties. In this new window that comes up, at the bottom is a drop-down menu titled "Device Usage", you can disable it there.

Alternatively if you install whatever drivers/control center from IBM, there should be advanced options for the trackpad and nub in the control panel.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Update Driver
    Uninstall
    Properties

In the Device Manager, right-click on the mouse, select properties. In this new window that comes up, at the bottom is a drop-down menu titled "Device Usage", you can disable it there.

Alternatively if you install whatever drivers/control center from IBM, there should be advanced options for the trackpad and nub in the control panel.

There isn't anything about disabling the built in mouse in the advanced options and Device Usage is "greyed out".

Esh on
  • Options
    DSGRabbitDSGRabbit Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Try disabling it in the BIOS, there should be an option.

DSGRabbit on
    DSGRabbit.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DSGRabbit wrote: »
    Try disabling it in the BIOS, there should be an option.

Nope.

Esh on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does Fn + F8 do anything on that model?

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Not that I notice...

Esh on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Not that I notice...

Hmm. Try the other Fn combos, or take a look at the manual.

By the way, what's the exact model of your thinkpad?

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pulling the little rubber nipple off might stop if from freaking out periodically. Grasp it with your fingers and pull up firmly.

luls

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg