As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post-PAX AUS Party?

thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
Anyone organising one? the one i went to after Prime 2011 was awesome. maybe it's too early to start thinking of it though it would be nice to carry over this tradition of sorts to PAX AUS.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013

• DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Definitely, maybe some people from Melbourne can give some ideas for locations and what not??

I'd definitely be down for this :D

• thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    i have some videos of the one i went to: there were people playing 'living on a prayer' in rockband..and that was awesome! i will forever remember that song for that moment in time.

• DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Hmm, never played Rockband O.o

neither have i, but it was fun watching other people play and have a good time.

Ohhh so it's like Guitar Hero? Seems awesome. For some reason every afterparty I've been to has Karaoke.

some people were playing mortal kombat while others were eating, drinking, playing on the bar's pool and table tennis tables...all good!

• GibblesGibbles Registered User new member
    Yeah definitely keen for after party. A mate and i are staying in Melbourne from Thursday until Monday.

well, if you're person who knows melbourne well then feel free to post some ideas and take charge cos i am from sydney and have no idea about where the best spots are :D

^

If it's ever spreading to Brisbane, I'm so on top of this!

will see after 2014.

• CamaranCamaran Catamaran MelbourneRegistered User regular
    18+ or AA?

18+ we go to Crown as the Mana Bar is tiny and could not handle PAX.

edited November 2012
    that's if you want alcohol...so 18+

at least our american visitors will get to have a drink when they're legally not allowed in the US if they're within the 18-21 age group :D

thegh0sts on
  • zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    I can't see a single thing going wrong with that :)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    heh boozy American tourists are funny, they are constantly amazed by the amount and variety we drink... waitaminute. Now that i think on it im not sure thats a good thing.

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • PsykarPsykar Programmer Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    In the past has this been a venue which has been booked out? Or simply storming a pub somewhere?

I'm in Melbourne myself, and know plenty of the latter, not so many places for the former though (but investigation is possible...)

• RiketzRiketz Registered User regular
    Im keen, Been to melbs before. know a few brutal places.

• dyconivegdyconiveg Melbourne - AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Maybe a venue might might put on a special PAX after party event if approached early enough? Would be a good way to drum up business for one or more of the newer bars in Melbourne? Idk, just spitballing here.

Psykar wrote: »
    In the past has this been a venue which has been booked out? Or simply storming a pub somewhere?

I'm in Melbourne myself, and know plenty of the latter, not so many places for the former though (but investigation is possible...)

In previous US venues....this is a first for Australia and it is starting to sell out!

• DaCrawDaCraw Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    ManaBar is probably too small - they have two rooms (each roughly the size of a room in a normal house) + a small courtyard - so they are more suited to parties on the scale of multiple dozens, not several hundred or even thousands. I encourage everyone who gets the chance to visit there, it's an amazing place, but its going to be packed for PAX.

Depending on numbers we might be able to fit into somewhere like Young and Jacksons. We'd need to confirm in advance, though. There are plenty of bars in Melbourne, and if we could get a rough idea of numbers I'm sure one would be willing to accommodate us (with enough notice, of course).

DaCraw on
    ---
  • PsykarPsykar Programmer Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    DaCraw wrote: »
    somewhere like Young and Jacksons.
    No... just no :P

• AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    Every good after-party ends up at Cherry.

It's inevitable.

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    DaCraw wrote: »
    We'd need to confirm in advance, though. There are plenty of bars in Melbourne, and if we could get a rough idea of numbers I'm sure one would be willing to accommodate us (with enough notice, of course).

One thing we've experienced in the past concerning PAX parties - the bars will never believe you when you say you're gonna turn up with a zillion geeks on a Sunday night. Oh the Seattle and Boston bars we have wanged. It will take a few years before they get good at it (like Jillian's is these days for PAX Prime) so if they seem bad first year and understaffed, don't hold it against them and give them at least 2 years to get it right.

edited November 2012
    I think you're overestimating the number of people who would attend to be honest.

Danacyrus on
    Nah, a zillion geeks sounds pretty accurate :)

We can dream.

I think we will need to recruit from other planets for an after party that big... a zillion is a pretty high made up number.

• FPFr0styFPFr0sty Registered User regular
    been to china or japan lately @zero :P im sure they are close to it in just their numbers alone :)

• AlexnaderAlexnader Registered User regular
    Danacyrus wrote: »
    I think you're overestimating the number of people who would attend to be honest.

Well they have already sold out of 3 day passes. The way I see an after party going is either no one hears about it and barely anyone shows up or word spreads through the expo and the queue to get into the bar goes on for a block.

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The Prime Post PAX Party sells out every year on about 400-500 tickets. Then again they have a pretty kick ass party and the last 2 years have had a side-show by The Protomen, Danimal Cannon and Jonny Nero Action Hero. I should get Jace in here to talk to whoever wants to take the reigns for an Aussie PPP for tips.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    CuZZa wrote: »
    The Prime Post PAX Party sells out every year on about 400-500 tickets. Then again they have a pretty kick ass party and the last 2 years have had a side-show by The Protomen, Danimal Cannon and Jonny Nero Action Hero. I should get Jace in here to talk to whoever wants to take the reigns for an Aussie PPP for tips.

300 tickets actually ;)

Still, awesome party

• MikrioMikrio The most casual of clones MelbourneRegistered User regular
    This would be really epic, its going to be my first pax and really my first big event i had a protective mother who would not let me go to concerts and stuff when i was younger, 17 now i guess she thought time i let him be ^^

please let there be a post-pax party cos i am leaving the following day to allow for one!

I'm sure there will be, and if nothing is seeming to come together in the few months leading up to PAX I'll sort something out ;)

can't wait for the 3 days of pure awesome....i haven't been to melb in ages!

• tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    CuZZa wrote: »

i went to jace's post pax prime party in '11 with thegh0sts, it was awesome, the two of us wouldn't mind organising something similar. if anybody is able to get in contact with him please direct him here so he can help us out

research needs to be done for allowable size capacity and whether they'll let us make heaps of noise :D

• UmbraLucisUmbraLucis Registered User regular
    Just throwing ideas out here - if there was a max of 300 guests we could always book out The Mint in the CBD http://www.themint.com.au/index_functions.htm .
    Or maybe something like Studio 3 at Crown? Not sure on what kind of budget there usually is for the after-parties...

Domo's are like cookies. One's just never enough.
  • SandmanTechSandmanTech MelbourneRegistered User regular
    We're putting together our display for PAX, is anyone interested in us bringing along a few Playseat rigs for the party?

How about I just say I'll put my hand up to organize the post pax party. And if people want to also be involved in the organization, send me a message.

• llwynogllwynog Registered User new member
    edited January 2013
    I recommend trying the john curtin, they used to run gaming events on sundays and stuff, and are normally quite keen to bust out the old guitar hero upstairs with the projector and have normally at least one pinball machine downstairs. It's been a while since I've been but it holds like... 700-800? call 'em up. If you have tickets sold in advance or something they'd probably let you book out the upstairs instead of a band?

llwynog on
This discussion has been closed.