As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with Brain Teaser

Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
Our Math teacher gave us this problem in class just for fun.

You have five cards with individual numbers on each: 6, 2, 7, 4, and and equal sign (=). You can shuffle the cards around anyway you want, but you have to somehow make a true statement out of only these cards. I'm of the opinion that it's a trick question, but what do you guys think? Hmmm... could it be that we can actually use the cards more than once, and he simply means we couldn't add a card with a different number or symbol on it? Sigh... I dunno, it's driving me crazy.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Well 6/2 = 7-4

But I have the feeling that its something stupid like flipping the number cards over and two cards equals two cards.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, the only thing I'm allowed to use is the numbers and the equal sign, no other symbols like a plus or minus symbol or anything.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    how is the 4 written on the card? if it's like the font here on the forum you could do this by covering part of the 4 and flipping the 6: (excuse the shit quick paint drawing)

jXeK4.jpg

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Now that's interesting... That might actually be it.

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    There's a difference between "out of only these cards" and "out of all these cards".

I'd just go with "2+4 = 6" and call it done.

[Edit: I'm assuming you can use some basic operators between them, at least, or this is flat impossible, since you weren't given two of the same number. Hard to solve without the exact text of the question.]

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    An alternative might be 7^2 = 49, if you flip the 6 over to make a 9, and position the 2 up and to the right of the 7 to indicate "7 to the 2nd power".

• Options
    PlushyCthulhuPlushyCthulhu Registered User regular
    How is the 7 written? Could you make it a less than sign? So for example 6 (turned 7) = 2 4 becomes 6 <= 24

Steam/LoL: plushycthulhu
  • Options
    I dunno... i give up though. lol. I'm just going to ask him next week what the solution was.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    it's the 7^2=49. It was a recent puzzler on npr's CarTalk, and that's the answer they gave.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    42 = 6*7 for no flipping shenanigans

EDIT: Nevermind you probably can't use the * operator?

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I'll try that answer Powerpuppies.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    it's the 7^2=49. It was a recent puzzler on npr's CarTalk, and that's the answer they gave.
    Man, it seems like radio or other audio-only media would make it really hard to solve, having to flip the cards around and whatnot while not forgetting the actual numbers.