As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harmonia

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited September 2012 in Indie Games
metafarion wrote:
Hi everyone, just wanted to tell y'all about an upcoming game I'm helping develop: an online RPG based on the Shining Force series. Harmonia attempts to combine the tactical engagement of a turn-based strategy game with a more social and faster-paced MMO. Players will command small bands of heroes (probably only 2-4) and collaborate or clash with one another as they explore the Kingdom of Harmonia.

logo_trim.jpg

One of the game's unique features is a very simple scripting language called Harmonious which will allow players and developers to customize nearly all of the game's assets. It's a fully-moddable tactical RPG engine with the intention that additional content (characters, items, storylines, etc) can be created by the players and hosted on their own, or Harmonia's servers.

edit_smaller.jpg

Development has reached the pre-alpha stages and we have a somewhat playable
demo
, though it is far from a complete game. We're just starting to integrate the sprites and artwork from our newly-appointed artist, the game still uses only keyboard input (Harmonia began its life as a MUD before we decided to convert it to a 3D engine), and the soundtrack hasn't even been started yet, but development is cruising forward at full steam. We've a Kickstarter in progress which concludes on the 8th so please check out the project and see if you like the direction we're heading.

Website
v0.0.4 Engine Demo Video

Tube on

• Options
    metafarionmetafarion Registered User new member
    I'm the developer and this space is reserved for my comments!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    It looks interesting and definitely has that 3D Dot Game Heroes Vibe, which is a positive thing!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The fact that it started life as a MUD and has a scripting language makes me happy. I don't suppose you guys made Harmonious anything like LPC? Hehe.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SynivalSynival Registered User new member
    Lead programmer here, so I'll chime in :) It's actually based on Lisp, so it has a very simple "func (arg, arg, arg)" grammar. Every script can be both run as a function or instantiated. For example, [entity_penguin] can be spawned, or run from [entity_penguin_big] to inherit it's properties. Here's an example, taken from this script here:
    * Demonstration Zone
    # the shopkeeper will help you get to the rebel base.
    [entity_showcase_old_man]
       # define some basic properties.
       entity_base ()
       entity_shopkeeper ()
       set (title, "an old shopkeeper")

# run 'entity_showcase_old_man_menu' on a player whenever they talk to this mob.
       effect (entity_showcase_old_man_menu, 20, talk_player)

# some quest memory upon instantiation.
       memory_once (quest_new_passphrase, 1)

# define his shop.
       set (menu_text, "'`WAlright, take a look around.  Hopefully some of these things will help you on your mission.`w'")
       set (menu_items, 'armor_showcase_gem item_medical_herb item_antidote item_angel_feather item_torch item_large_torch')

In other news, I was working on some new music last night. MIDI was not kind to me, but the new town theme sounds pretty nice in 8-bit:
    * Town Theme (Chiptune Version)

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    This has a lot of potential, but I'm afraid the Kickstarter probably isn't going to do too well. That's too bad, I really like the features I'm seeing there, and I've always been a fan of MUDs. If it does continue on in some form, I'd be stoked to play around with making content and what not though.

• Options
    metafarionmetafarion Registered User new member
    Hey everyone, the Harmonia funding frenzy is almost over, but we're still hard at work getting people on board. Maybe I can tantalize y'all with a screenshot showing off the new movement vectors. This is an method we've been toying with to show players where the characters on the battlefield are moving to and who they are attacking.

As you can see here, Harmonia Guy has wandered into Norcia swamp by himself and has drawn the attention of more than a few slimes.
    HG_Totally_Screwed.jpg

Just under 2 days remaining to make this project happen. A buck or a shout-out can make all the difference!

• Options
    SynivalSynival Registered User new member
    piL wrote: »
    This has a lot of potential, but I'm afraid the Kickstarter probably isn't going to do too well. That's too bad, I really like the features I'm seeing there, and I've always been a fan of MUDs. If it does continue on in some form, I'd be stoked to play around with making content and what not though.

Well, we're going to be shamelessly hammering away until the timer is up, but this project isn't being abandoned, one way or another. Not after coming this far! But, things may slow to a crawl for a bit if we can't work on it full time. The Summer say a lot of 14-hour days on my part, no way I can keep that up when there are bills to pay. Unless I rob a bank or something... but is crime really the answer?

• Options
    NitionNition Registered User regular
    Nice graphical style. I see some similarities with Darwinia.

• Options
    JoshTheAutomaterJoshTheAutomater Medford, ORRegistered User new member
    I'm going to keep my eyes on this. Work looks good so far. Keep it up!