As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Disgaea]: D2 Out On Steam, D5 Coming To Nintendo Switch

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I could only ever play the Disgaea games on a portable system. They just seemed to be suited more to the PSP than the PS3.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have both but the cartridge slot on my DS has been wonky lately so I'll probably go PSP. Is it Afternoon of Darkness for the original game? Does anyone know if it's on PSN (I have a Go)?
    The original is called Hour of Darkness, the PSP version is called Afternoon of Darkness and the DS one is called Disgaea DS. I think the PSP and the DS both have additional content.
    I know you can turn of animations in the DS version which can save a ton of time over the course of a playthrough. Also there are weird multiplayer options.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I have both but the cartridge slot on my DS has been wonky lately so I'll probably go PSP. Is it Afternoon of Darkness for the original game? Does anyone know if it's on PSN (I have a Go)?

Yes and it is. Or at least was. That's where I got it for my non-Go PSP.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular

it is

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I can't watch the trailer in the OP. It's coming up as private for me.
    Anyone have an alternate link I could follow?

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Afternoon of Darkness is $15 on PSN, and I believe the DS version had a lot of the voiceover cut. I'm going to have to grab the PSP version soon myself since I don't feel like digging out the PS2.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    You can buy Afternoon of Darkness at Gamestop.com for $10. They email you a code, but its not always instantaneous.

http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/disgaea-afternoon-of-darkness/98424

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I love portability over just about everything else but in this case I gotta say that the original PS2 release of the game is the best version released.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    What's lacking about the PSP version? That's the only format I've played the game on.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I really should go back and play D1. I played D3 and while I found it amusing I could just not get into the gameplay, it was like it focuses on all the gameplay aspects of SRPGs that I either dislike or am pretty "eh" about.

But if D1 is funnier and is toned down in those regards then I might enjoy it.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think you'll like it. The gameplay isn't different in any way that you'll appreciate, and I don't think the slightly (depending on taste, yes) better story/humour will make a huge difference to you.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well, don't get me wrong.

It wasn't unbearable just not my cup of tea.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I completely get where you're coming from. It is very much the distilled mechanics of a particular kind of SRPG, and the gameplay of D1 is like that as well.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I thought the PSP version was supposedly pretty perfect as well. Though, I think some voice actors were swapped around? I remember something about Etna.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I can't watch the trailer in the OP. It's coming up as private for me.
    Anyone have an alternate link I could follow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlDdX0VgyRA

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Argh, I'm not sure I can muster the will to put in another 400 hours into a game.

Part of the charm of Disgea when I first play it was 'learning how to cheat' (exploiting how the game mechanics works). The moment I realize that I can move character and possibly have them attack, and then cancel their moves and have them attack a few more times was the moment I realize that the game is fucking amazing.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    You what I really liked in Disgaea 2?
    That Laharl totally curbstomped you if you pissed him off.

After the first game, there was just too much to grind for me. I get tired the moment I make a character in a NIS-game. Still going to have to get this.

I wonder if english Laharl will still sound so incredibly obnoxious. He puts more into it than the japanese VA.

Edit: Wait. Did Laharl just roll down his trousers? They weren't just short before, they were rolled up.

PLA on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    English Laharl being kind of obnoxious is what makes him fantastic. I can still hear him screeching "HORSE WIENER?!"

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkaBy-OHlP0

Listen to that swagger. It's how he says it. That amazing, whiney twang.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sprite based games look so damn good when they're hi-def. And those animations (which are briefly seen in the trailer :( ) look smooth.

Gah, I am excite.

• ShadowsofBirdsShadowsofBirds Registered User regular
    Stoked on this, but the problem with Disgaea games.. TOO MUCH CONTENT! >.< Impossible to get to a point where you feel like "Okay, I've gotten all this game has to offer."

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Argh, I'm not sure I can muster the will to put in another 400 hours into a game.

Part of the charm of Disgaea when I first play it was 'learning how to cheat' (exploiting how the game mechanics works). The moment I realize that I can move character and possibly have them attack, and then cancel their moves and have them attack a few more times was the moment I realize that the game is fucking amazing.

What's all this then? How would you go about doing such a thing?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Stoked on this, but the problem with Disgaea games.. TOO MUCH CONTENT! >.< Impossible to get to a point where you feel like "Okay, I've gotten all this game has to offer."

Says you. Does the number 9999 not mean anything? <_<

I kind of wish they'd tone some of the specials back down. Just dust them off. They've gathered too much props over the years. Distracting.
    In the old days, you'd just punch people into orbit and stuff. Now there's a waterfall, and pandas, and crap.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

Part of the charm of Disgaea when I first play it was 'learning how to cheat' (exploiting how the game mechanics works). The moment I realize that I can move character and possibly have them attack, and then cancel their moves and have them attack a few more times was the moment I realize that the game is fucking amazing.

What's all this then? How would you go about doing such a thing?

It's been years since I last play Disgea,

But exploiting how the 'team attacks' works is basically what I'm describing. Basically you can have 2 characters move to a character they you're going to use to attack, possibly get the 'team attack', then you can cancel the two characters move and have them move elsewhere to attack.

There's a bunch of small things like that in the game that you can (and should) exploit.

Dimension Slash. What is even going on with the Disgaea 4-version? What is even?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The real Disgaea 2 is my favorite in the series, sorry haters. This looks kind of bad to be honest. Not a fan of the new designs.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The real Disgaea 2 is my favorite in the series, sorry haters. This looks kind of bad to be honest. Not a fan of the new designs.

... There's new designs?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

... There's new designs?

Yes, and the art doesn't look anything like Tenpai Sato's.

wVEsyIc.png
    I think the difference is lost on anyone who isn't a mega enthusiast.

I'm not seeing it. I mean beyond Laharl's new pants and whatnot.

... There's new designs?

Yes, and the art doesn't look anything like Tenpai Sato's.

I see the difference in the art, but at the same time it's still good and relatively speaking it's not a big dramatic change. We're not looking at new Dante in the Devil May Cry redux they ended up doing, for example.

If nothing else to say it "doesn't look anything like" it is a bit of an exaggeration I think.

edited November 2012
    I understand the complaint, though.

Says you. Does the number 9999 not mean anything? <_<

It absolutely means something. It means you're ready to start.

PLA on
    edited November 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I loved Disgaea 1(I own the PS2 and PSP versions, and the PSP version is the best), and I'll get this, but yeah, the art reminds me of the anime, which was bland city.

Disgaea 1:

disgaea-2.jpg

D2:

20dkcn.jpg

And the anime:

disgaea-anime1a.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    honestly i cant tell if im even excited for this. i think im done with disgaea, even if they bring back the original dudes. i dunno, i guess i'll see once its released.

• LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I know won't be able to resist this, but Disgaea fatigue is a bitch. Glad to see NIS returning to the original cast. Hell, I'm just happy that NIS is still making games.

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
    It's like the Supreme Overlord of fatigues.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    yea, the amount of time you end up putting into disgaea when you get into it leads to serious serious burnout when your time with it comes to an end.

• LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    honestly i cant tell if im even excited for this. i think im done with disgaea, even if they bring back the original dudes. i dunno, i guess i'll see once its released.

Likewise, but I think it's NIS I'm done with, not just Disgaea. I don't know if I can explain it, but outside of La Pucelle Tactics and the original Disgaea I've found each any every other release hard to stomach. Beyond those two titles the non-gameplay content (plot, dialogue, characters et al) crossed the line between "Parody" to "Straight Example" of it's tropes and I'm simply not the latter guy. Much like how Resident Evil 4 felt like a parody B movie whilst 5 and 6 come off as summer blockbusters and the latter ruining my enjoyment of the titles there, NIS feels the same to me. In short, I can't believe this is gonna feel like Disgaea did, cast or not.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
    Litany wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Likewise, but I think it's NIS I'm done with, not just Disgaea. I don't know if I can explain it, but outside of La Pucelle Tactics and the original Disgaea I've found each any every other release hard to stomach. With those two titles the non-gameplay content (plot, dialogue, characters et al) crossed the line between "Parody" and "Straight Example" of it's tropes and I'm simply not the latter guy. Much like how Resident Evil 4 felt like a parody B movie whilst 5 and 6 come off as summer blockbusters and the latter ruining my enjoyment of the titles there, NIS feels the same to me. In short, I can't believe this is gonna feel like Disgaea did, cast or not.

This is a valid concern to me at least. That parody has warped into totally unironic endorsement.