As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Go to new thread

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So a couple nights ago I managed to get "Glorious!" (the achievement for kill all the rares in Pandaria). So yay.

Also Major Nanners can go straight to hell. "Hey I got an idea! Let's put a rare somewhere that you can't corpse-run to if you die!"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    They didn't really revamp Jade Forest that much really, just changed the starting quest chain. I know for Horde the only difference was in the part before the second hub (currently, when the Alliance airbase flips over to Horde control).

Everything else, from the exploration and discovery of Lorewalker Cho onward (and a couple of quests before that), is identical to pre-revamp in the beta.

Nobody on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Jade forest drags on for sure. The first bit of the zone is pretty decent for both sides, then once it has you going to a panda hub, then another panda hub, then another panda hub, then another panda hub it really drags on. Things like the monastery that could have been cool was just pure grind and lacked any real story, etc.

It is a completely exhausting zone; and they already revamped it. Valley and Krasarang definitely move along much better, though I dont' really care for the aesthetics of Krasarang so it is eh. Part of it is my same problem with the GL dalies in that it's irritating that all the Mogu have a bunch more health than everything else. I get it, they wanted to make them 'powerful' but what they did was make them tedious. Kun'lai is good, as is (most of) Townlong. Dread Wastes is miserable; offset somewhat by using the right mantid buffs (and mind controlling a Dreadweaver constantly).

Yeah, the zones in pandaria are really hit or miss. Both quest wise and visually. I love the overall look of Pandaria but some stuff is overkill. Jade Forest is just way way way too busy visually. Krasarang has too little variation, and except a few small parts you're out on the coast it just feels very clausterphobic. Valley is great, and Kun'lai actuallyfeels like you're going into huge mountains. Townlong is nice, if small; Dread Wastes is just visually irritating to me. All that blue on white is just ugh. It's just feels shitty, being there just is unpleasant.
    That and "collect 6 of this item that drops 30% of the time" quests seem to be back in full swing in Pandaria. Mists of Regression indeed.

And I think the Monastery in Jade Forest was the worst quest hub in the entire expansion. So lame and disappointing.

forty on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Which Monastery?

I really don't mind jade Forest I feel the Kun'lai summit is where it gets harder and rather boring

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Krasarang was difficult for me, it was even more bleak than Icecrown, atmosphere wise.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Krasarang was difficult for me, it was even more bleak than Icecrown, atmosphere wise.

From what I've gathered, that's kind of the point, though. Right?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    It actually gets sunnier and less bleak when you finish the questline.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »

From what I've gathered, that's kind of the point, though. Right?

It's definitely the point of the first three quarters of the zone, and they pull it off really well. I just found it difficult to play through.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Nobody wrote: »
    They didn't really revamp Jade Forest that much really, just changed the starting quest chain. I know for Horde the only difference was in the part before the second hub (currently, when the Alliance airbase flips over to Horde control).

Everything else, from the exploration and discovery of Lorewalker Cho onward (and a couple of quests before that), is identical to pre-revamp in the beta.

Yeah for Alliance the starting quest chain is completely different (the Horde base where you have to kill a bunch of guys and blow up Demolishers and stuff used to be an Alliance base that was under attack... and there was no vehicle portion at all). I think once you get to the part where you rescue the Jinyu from the Hozen (and then go to Pearlfin Village) it pretty much syncs back up with what was in beta. Though I think it does a little better job of offering breadcrumbs than Beta did (in beta I never got a breadcrumb to the cherryblossom area and the area with all the Mogu... I just saw the "!" on my zone map).

Edit:
    forty wrote: »
    That and "collect 6 of this item that drops 30% of the time" quests seem to be back in full swing in Pandaria. Mists of Regression indeed.

I noticed this too. It's not quite as bad as it was in Burning Crusade (I still have nightmares of those boars in Hellfire) but they definitely went backwards on this.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever been in a group that has bothered to CC anything. One time against those dogs, but every time after that nope. I even freeze trapped and sleeped two of them on my next run and they broke it anyways.

Which whatever, as long as we don't wipe I don't care. I'll just feign death anyways.

I've never gone into Shado-Pan except as the tank, so I've not experienced any of these other runs where they just AoE everything down. The regeneration thing is on a shorter cooldown than my interrupt and I prefer to deal with it on its own, at least the first two groups. That and, for whatever reason, I've died more often on those first couple trash packs than to any other heroic trash mobs in the expansion (and yes, I move away from those white fire breaths).

And are there groups that don't bother CCing anything in the Gekkan fight? Yes, I know he turns around and breaks CC on the others on occasion, but not right away.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    WTB: A trinket with "Scent of Blood" or some way to bring that buff to GL dailies.

And Jogu you silly drunk, we are Bestest Friends already, why should I waste 20 Mad Brewer's Breakfasts on you?

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So a couple nights ago I managed to get "Glorious!" (the achievement for kill all the rares in Pandaria). So yay.

Also Major Nanners can go straight to hell. "Hey I got an idea! Let's put a rare somewhere that you can't corpse-run to if you die!"

I feel you there. Even just getting people to help with him was a pain because of all the phasing in the zone. Open the gate but didn't unlock the dailies yet? Nope, can't see your party.

• Options
    WTB: A trinket with "Scent of Blood" or some way to bring that buff to GL dailies.

And Jogu you silly drunk, we are Bestest Friends already, why should I waste 20 Mad Brewer's Breakfasts on you?

I just did that quest this morning. I was expecting an awesome followup. Nope! 19 gold, 38 silver and a "Thanks!"

• Options

That is some really annoying shit. The only incentive to do the quest is to get the damn ! off your map. The alternative, which I'm doing, is just to leave the quest in your log indefinitely.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Which Monastery?

I really don't mind jade Forest I feel the Kun'lai summit is where it gets harder and rather boring
    The big Panda training monastery up in the mountains up north where they keep giving you roofie coladas and making you kill punching bags and do a bunch of other menial shit and where nothing interesting actually happens. The whole line just dies off with a quest offering rare rewards that only half the classes can use.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »

I just did that quest this morning. I was expecting an awesome followup. Nope! 19 gold, 38 silver and a "Thanks!"

I admit, I cheated. I checked Wowhead to see if there was any kind of followup.

• Options
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I feel you there. Even just getting people to help with him was a pain because of all the phasing in the zone. Open the gate but didn't unlock the dailies yet? Nope, can't see your party.

Yeah I was lucky in that one of the few people left in my guild was online and able to help me kill him (I've tried to solo him before but there is just too much leeway to fuck it up with all his near-insta-kill moves and the fact you can't rez if you die). We had tried it a couple days before and got him to fucking 1% before he did some bullshit attack and killed us. Then of course someone else got him while we had our stupid -10% stats debuffs.

• Options

I usually do, but I'm trying to not spoil myself too much on this stuff. I think this and the torch daily for the White Tiger temple, and possibly Fatty Goat Steaks are the only quests that truly frustrated me in an otherwise amazingly awesome expansion.

• Options

I usually do, but I'm trying to not spoil myself too much on this stuff. I think this and the torch daily for the White Tiger temple, and possibly Fatty Goat Steaks are the only quests that truly frustrated me in an otherwise amazingly awesome expansion.

I kind of got the hang of the torch one. It's not that bad unless you get screwed by bad hitboxes.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    So, got the monk to 85 as BrM (fuck WW leveling - way too squishy). One thing I'm noticing though, the healing orbs from Gift of the Ox seem to be healing me for a shitload less than they were, even less than what the tooltip indicates. I relied on those orbs pretty much exclusively to solo a lot of the group content in the 60s-70s, but all of a sudden they heal for shit. Did something get hotfixed or do they scale downward as you level or what?

Also, did LFR for the first time today on the rogue and wow, did that suck. Not the experience, but my performance - I was something like 15th on the meters which has happened, let's see...never? Yeah, never. I mean, I'm rolling Combat which isn't ideal, but it's supposedly on-par with Assassination or thereabouts and given that I haven't been able to get better daggers, I'm stuck with dw'ing the Horseman's Slicers. At 461 ilevel I'd hope I'd be able to do better than 36k DPS but nope. Really not digging the rogue play at the moment.

• Options
    Have you been to Noxxic or wherever to see what the ideal rotation is supposed to be now?

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I always head there first before swapping to a new spec. Pretty simple rotation so I'm fairly confident I wasn't mucking that up.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    So, got the monk to 85 as BrM (fuck WW leveling - way too squishy). One thing I'm noticing though, the healing orbs from Gift of the Ox seem to be healing me for a shitload less than they were, even less than what the tooltip indicates. I relied on those orbs pretty much exclusively to solo a lot of the group content in the 60s-70s, but all of a sudden they heal for shit. Did something get hotfixed or do they scale downward as you level or what?

I seem to recall the orbs falling off around 80-85 as well. I still don't recall too many problems soloing, but I think your HP tends to grow massively when you hit Cata and Mists. The healing just can't keep up.

One thing that did help me is I just switched to having Chi Wave (was holding out with Zen Sphere) and it has been amazing for self healing. It will bounce from the mob back to you repeatedly and heals me for about 30-45% of my HP when I use mine (rough estimate, don't have exact numbers). I believe you can cast it on yourself for the initial wave to get 4 heals vs 3 damage, or on the mob for 4 damage and 3 heals.

• Options
    Good call, I had Chi Wave in WW spec and completely forgot to grab it on BrM as well, I'll do that.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I felt stupid when I first used it. I kept thinking "it can't be THAT much better than Zen Sphere". How did you like WW? I've only done BrM (am level 90 Pandaren Monk named Kabau on Icecrown).

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I actually do my Shadowpan/Klaxxi/Lotus dalies as Brewmaster and just gather up as many mobs as I can. I get around 100k AoE with all of those adds you get if you facepull the elites with Shadowpan, which you kind of have to do due to the other players. WW is almost constant button pushing and while it has decent single target it's AoE is lacking for the most part. WW is not a shadow of what it was in the beta.

The healing orbs can crit too but yeah they get less and less effective as time goes on. But they are still usefull on high dmg fights if you plan on tanking on the monk more.

• Options
    85-90 as BM might be annoying. I did it as Guardian on my druid, and kill speed felt pretty damn sluggish. I'm sure if I had been Feral I would have been killing standard mobs in half the time. The few times where it was nice, though, were the occasional quests where I could gather up 4+ mobs at once to AoE down.

Obviously monk is a different class, but I have to assume they have a similar experience. I was planning on leveling my paladin as Holy/Prot, but I'll probably change her prot spec to Ret whenever I get around to playing here, given the experience on my druid.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    As with any tank class. Single target is sllloooowww.

• Options
    Cirira wrote: »
    I felt stupid when I first used it. I kept thinking "it can't be THAT much better than Zen Sphere". How did you like WW? I've only done BrM (am level 90 Pandaren Monk named Kabau on Icecrown).
    WW was fun, definitely smashes single targets, but my (admittedly limited) experience with it taught me that overpull, that is, more than like three mobs, is a near guaranteed death. What little heals you get just can't keep up, even Healing Sphere. So I specced back into BrM and things may die of old age, but at least I'm never in any real danger no matter how many I pull.

But if it gets to be too slow, I'll just swap back and be more judicious with my pulls.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Omg, I was so pissed when I have this to him and he is like "thanks, here is 20 g".

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Also, did LFR for the first time today on the rogue and wow, did that suck. Not the experience, but my performance - I was something like 15th on the meters which has happened, let's see...never? Yeah, never. I mean, I'm rolling Combat which isn't ideal, but it's supposedly on-par with Assassination or thereabouts and given that I haven't been able to get better daggers, I'm stuck with dw'ing the Horseman's Slicers. At 461 ilevel I'd hope I'd be able to do better than 36k DPS but nope. Really not digging the rogue play at the moment.

Rogues have a giant scaling problem, and that is unless you have decent gear you do much less than others at same ilvl, and once you have good gear you so better than others at same ilvl. And by good gear I mean mostly normal raid ilvl and a heroic piece or two, which is where im hitting now (485 iirc, with heroic mh dagger). Until recently I had a hard time justifying a raid spot, and spent a lot of time swapped out.

Also, math says one thing, but my empirical experience points to combat use only on fights with lots of cleave (normal and heroic dogs, and big bug pheromone and leg guy (I'm bad at names)), assasination everything else (including pvp).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blizzard really needs to implement a surname feature or something. I'm trying to do a name change for one of my characters and every name I choose is already taken by some toolbag who has it on their level 1-3 guildless gnome alt. I've been at this for almost an hour now, it's unreal. I could just fudge the system by using one of those alternate character vowels but I just can't bring myself to do that.

Damn these people.

• Options
    Blizzard really needs to implement a surname feature or something. I'm trying to do a name change for one of my characters and every name I choose is already taken by some toolbag who has it on their level 1-3 guildless gnome alt. I've been at this for almost an hour now, it's unreal. I could just fudge the system by using one of those alternate character vowels but I just can't bring myself to do that.

Damn these people.

if its a character that has not been played for x months (not sure on x), you can report it and a gm will make them change it (they get flagged with temporary name and you can take it).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Good info on both counts @Smrtnik. I'll definitely be contacting a GM then, thanks much.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Rogues have a giant scaling problem, and that is unless you have decent gear you do much less than others at same ilvl, and once you have good gear you so better than others at same ilvl. And by good gear I mean mostly normal raid ilvl and a heroic piece or two, which is where im hitting now (485 iirc, with heroic mh dagger). Until recently I had a hard time justifying a raid spot, and spent a lot of time swapped out.

Also, math says one thing, but my empirical experience points to combat use only on fights with lots of cleave (normal and heroic dogs, and big bug pheromone and leg guy (I'm bad at names)), assasination everything else (including pvp).

Rogues have had issues with scaling the past few expansions. I have to assume it's because they were so good base in vanilla and BC, so they had to nerf that. Rather than spend the time to actually balance them for any gear level, Blizzard has them worked out to be "ok" for the end of every patch. It's really frustrating and the main reason my rogue is always one of my last classes to level, despite being one of the most fun to play.

• Options
    Blizzard is terrified of touching Rogues because they see them as "good" (and I'm sure they are afraid of all the "NERF ROGUES RAARWARAWRWRQARRARA!!!" posts they'd get if they ever gave us actual buffs).

At least we finally provide a group buff. Only took them 8 years...

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Mad Brewer's Breakfast is given to you prior to Best Friend. It's just a rep quest, but it occurs so late that it's probably not worth doing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there aren't too many obnoxious drop quests in pandaria. Even fatty goatsteaks, the one everybody hates, doesn't usually involve killing more than like, ten goats. And they spawn pretty quick; I usually just sit in once place and I'm done in a few minutes.

although, my standard for 'intolerably awful drop rate quest' was that one in hillsbrad where the drop rate on that dumb venom sac or whatever was like, three percent. Soooo

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    As with any tank class. Single target is sllloooowww.
    Right, but I think it's more painful now than it was doing it in WotLK/Cata since standard mob health seems to be higher than ever relative to DPS. Also, the change to how Vigilance is calculated made it worse for leveling than it was in Cata.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Does anyone actually look at the Monk's Paralysis CC and think it looks like an "attack this target first" marker?

Because it's at least half the time after the Master Snowdrift fight in Shado-Pan Monastery that I roll up, CC the Regenerating Sha, roll backwards, and toss some kegs to start the fight, only to find that one or more DPS immediately charges straight in at the CC'd target and starts slapping it around.

I don't know how that looks, but people are probably trained through countless runs to just kill the Regenerating Shas first. Just CC a destroying one, helps the healer more.

The visual effect looks like this.

AWZgn.jpg

Is it so rarely done that people aren't used to what it looks like?

This discussion has been closed.