As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Mario Strikers

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't bother learning to play, you'll get beaten by someone using DK/Bowser who just fires off instant shots from the centre line that go in 30%+ of the time.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Got it today, and its still fun. But different.

This one focuses more on charging up your shot for goals, where as in the first game, you relied ALOT more on your passing.

Also, Wifi games have been horribly laggy, and I am pretty sure people are disconnecting when they are trailing, which doesnt give me credit for beating them.

quovadis13 on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ah, okay, the wiki is up... You guys'd better use it, so I don't have to search pages and be annoying.

I'll edit my info in as soon as whoever's doing it right now is done.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    Don't bother learning to play, you'll get beaten by someone using DK/Bowser who just fires off instant shots from the centre line that go in 30%+ of the time.

Where did I read that before?

Djiem on
  • postenlpostenl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    Anyone have an issue trying to get your stats? I've tried about 5 times now, and each time it tells me there's an error getting stats.

I had that happen the first time I tried to login to WFC, but I got through the second time, so im guessing its a problem on their side.

postenl on
    Wii Code: 2868 1567 5951 7748
    edited August 2007
    Well, I added the three guys before me in the wiki in my roster.

EDIT: I'll be adding everyone after me as they'll put their names in.

Djiem on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The hammer brother's deke isn't hard to deal with. You just need to be careful with them - charge the guy like you're gonna tackle him, let him deke, and then slam him as he lands.

Added you Djiem.

Zek on
  • LaviLavi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I added the 4 people before, hope I can play against you guys.

Lavi on
  • AfraidAfraid Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey guys, added everyone on the wiki. Please add me if you get a chance

Afraid on
    Gamertag: Texas eye
    3ds gamer tag: Texas eye. friend code: 2019-9652-5207
    edited August 2007
    Man, is this game frustrating or what?
    I'm shitting out my lungs in anger as I'm failing to block that retard Waluigi from scoring a goal in the first fucking second of the match in that FUCKING STRIKERS CHALLENGE FUCKING MISSION !!!!
    FUCK !!!

Finally, maybe it is a good thing that Nintendo Wii WiFi games don't have voice support.
    The last game that got me this angry is Pokémon Pearl (anything that has luck has a factor I'll lose since I'm the most unlucky guy on the planet, I swear) and before that... I can't even think of any.

Tomorrow I got a day off, I might play some of you guys.

Djiem on
    edited August 2007
    Great game Afraid. I thought I had won that second game for sure when I managed a megastrike and even lucked out when it hit orange. Your blocking was godly.

GG on the series ^^

Lavi on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Added myself to the Wiki. PM me if you put my code in

quovadis13 on
    edited August 2007
    Lavi wrote: »
    Great game Afraid. I thought I had won that second game for sure when I managed a megastrike and even lucked out when it hit orange. Your blocking was godly.

GG on the series ^^

Funny you say that, I'm actually more scared of enemy sidekicks fully charging than captains. :lol:
    (I realise this isn't aimed at me, I'm just adding some commentary)

Djiem on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got the game today and it seems fun. I don't really have time tonight (and I need to learn to play anyhow) but would anyone be up for a couple games tomorrow night? I wanna try out this beast online.

SirUltimos on
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

GG on the series ^^

Funny you say that, I'm actually more scared of enemy sidekicks fully charging than captains. :lol:

Yeah I'm noticing that since it seems easier to charge up sidekicks than the actual Captain.

I kinda like the bone dinosaur one since it shocks the GK and then can hit the ball again if noone interrupts you.

Lavi on
    edited August 2007

GG on the series ^^

Yeah I'm noticing that since it seems easier to charge up sidekicks than the actual Captain.

I kinda like the bone dinosaur one since it shocks the GK and then can hit the ball again if noone interrupts you.

Yeah, but I was talking more about the fact that some sidekicks (like Hammer Brother) get the ball in almost everytime if fully charged, while I pretty much always block all the balls from the captain shot.

Djiem on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Err... Nevermind.

SirUltimos on
    edited August 2007
    Holy crap, Lavi. Good game!
    That was tight. Sudden death in a 1-1 best out of 3 :)

Djiem on
    edited August 2007

Yeah it was totally awesome. I didn't think I'd be having so much with the game, my sister had to come tell me to shut up because I was being so loud.

I'm really glad I decided to purchase the game.

Lavi on
    edited August 2007

Yeah it was totally awesome. I didn't think I'd be having so much with the game, my sister had to come tell me to shut up because I was being so loud.

I'm really glad I decided to purchase the game.

Surprisingly, unlike when I was fighting the CPUs, I didn't yell much, and didn't get angry. I let out a few "Oh come on!" and "What the fuck?!" but that was it.

If only I pulled off that megastrike in the end... siiiiigh. Oh well.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but two players can go WiFi in co-op VS the CPUs?
    If I'm right, that's just AWESOME.

Djiem on
    edited August 2007
    Here are some tips from my experience with the game:

Side kicks:

Dry Bones
    -Charge up shot will electrocute keeper, then head it in.
    -Feint is a teleport, the more the ball is charged the longer the teleport. Run up to almost the edge of the keeper's box with a fully charged ball and you can teleport straight into the goal (Daisy and Waluigi can do this too).

Birdo
    -Fully charged shot cannot be saved, it can only be blocked by a player standing between you and the goal.
    -Spin feint is a very good move for throwing off defenders

Hammer Bros
    -Like Brido, a fully charged shot cannot be stopped. It can't even be blocked, however you need to be closer to the goal for it to work, Birdo's will work from the halfway line.
    -A lot of new players will be attracted to the Hammer Bros and repeatedly spam the hammer feint down the pitch. Hammer Bros are incredibly easy to counter once you know the game a bit better.

Monty Mole
    -Basically identical to Hammer Bros. His skill shot is a guaranteed score if you are close enough to the goal. His feint is easy to counter if you play it cool and know your timings.

Toad
    -Nothing spectacular about Toad other than his feint, which allows him to jump over the keeper and run the ball into the net. The greater the charge the longer the jump. Know your timing and you'll hardly ever fail to score.

Boo
    -Same as Toad, but his basic level won't cover enough ground to beat the keeper, with a bit of charge he will be able to go straight through the keeper and score.

Shy Guy and Koopa are unspectacular, both of their skill shot will stun the keeper allowing you to score on the rebound, but Dry Bones' is generally better.

Captains:

DK and then Bowser/Petey are probably the best. Their shooting ability is so good they can score uncharged shoots from the halfway line at a decent frequency. DK edges it because of his super power being better for setting up mega strikes.

Daisy is the worst captain. Terrible shooting and the worst super power in the game. Unfortunate, because she is my favourite.
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT STUFF!!

Waluigi Wall is probably the best power in the game. Simply run into your opponents half, near the sideline. Activate the wall and run so that you build a wall outwards from the sideline and then back in again, basically trapping yourself in a small triangle of the pitch. You can now freely charge up a megastrike and nobody can get through to stop you (only a bobomb dropped form the sky can stop him).

Diddy Kong can run into his opponents corner, turn to face outwards into the pitch and use his Red Card ability. Anybody trying to tackle you while charge the megastrike will be sucked into the beam and taken out of the game for about 40-60 seconds.

An ironclad way to score is to take a jumper (Diddy Kong or Toad) and run at the keeper from the side (directly into or away from the tv screen), as he comes out to tackle you jump and then immediately press pass. The ball will be passed over the keeper to one of your players at the other side of the pitch, who can then tap it in because the keeper is facing the wrong direction for about 5 seconds. This will never fail if your players are in the right position, and it's very difficult to tackle them too.

The sliding tackle (d-pad) always moves towards the ball. Use it at the exact moment they pass and you can intercept it.

Easy to miss, but you can press pass/shoot while the ball is in transit, and as soon as your player receives it he will immediately shoot/pass.

Basically the whole game is designed around being a cheap bastard. Most of the people you play online will (once they know the game) build their whole team around exploiting one particularly cheap aspect of the game, making a very frustrating and distinctly un-fun experience.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2007
    It's only gonna be un-fun (for you) until we learn the cheap counter to every cheap tactic. Kinda like the flavor of the month in Guild Wars Heroe's Ascent.

Djiem on
    edited August 2007
    There are no cheap counters. The basic hit/sliding tackle/shoot an item is all you've got, and there isn't really anyway of exploiting those mechanics.

Also if anyone wants to try a transatlantic game I'm around for a while (I'm also not a cheap bastard).

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2007
    You sound like you just lost a game and are taking it badly. :lol:

Djiem on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fucking fuck.

I forgot to go out and buy this game today. Urgh!

slash000 on
    edited August 2007
    Haven't played it for about a month, and I won almost every game I played. It just starts to get really frustrating once you get past the initial awesome factor and realise you're stuck playing the same cheap crap over and over again.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does this have 2, 3 or 4 player co-op online for the main game mode? I'm trying to decide how many people I need to make buy this game.

LaPuzza on
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just got back, I'll be adding everyone on the wikii in the next hour or so then hopefully we can get to playin!

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Useless, useless, EBGamestop... I went to pick up my preorder after work, and wouldn't you know it? Thunderstorms had delayed their delivery truck! So I got my deposit back, walked into the Best Buy next door, and bought one of the 2 dozen copies they had on their shelf. Stupid bastards.

In any case, I've added almost everyone from the Wiki so far. I'm ready to be brutally crushed underfoot!

Anti-Sean on
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote:
    EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but two players can go WiFi in co-op VS the CPUs?
    If I'm right, that's just AWESOME.

I don't think its possible, at least the official website doesn't mention it and I don't see an option for it.
    LaPuzza wrote:
    Does this have 2, 3 or 4 player co-op online for the main game mode? I'm trying to decide how many people I need to make buy this game.

It has two player local co-op mode. But you can play 1v1, 2v2, 3v1 according to wiki. Haven't tried it myself.

I wouldn't mind playing against someone from Europe, the lag can't possibly be that bad?

Lavi on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i just want to warn people about a huge bug that nintendo needs to fix ASAP. During cinematics or any pauses in an online game, if you are holding the analog stick in a particular direction, the controls will go neutral and your units will all run in the last direction you were holding. The only way to fix this is to quickly take out one of your wii remote's batteries, put it back in and resynch. This has happened to me many times now and it needs a patch immediately. Very fun game though.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited August 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »
    i just want to warn people about a huge bug that nintendo needs to fix ASAP. During cinematics or any pauses in an online game, if you are holding the analog stick in a particular direction, the controls will go neutral and your units will all run in the last direction you were holding. The only way to fix this is to quickly take out one of your wii remote's batteries, put it back in and resynch. This has happened to me many times now and it needs a patch immediately. Very fun game though.

I think just unplugging the nuchuck from the wiimote and back in again will fix that.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is there a common etiquitte regarding replays? Playing in local games that feature them, my friends and I have always clicked through them ASAP in order to get back into the game. I just got my ass handed to me in some random matchup, and it was *excruciating* sitting through the entire length of the replays over and over again.

Anti-Sean on
  • jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I think just unplugging the nuchuck from the wiimote and back in again will fix that.

Yup, just unplug the nunchuck and replug it. Problen fixed. Why would you take the batteries out of the Wiimote before unpluging the nunchuck?

jb7 on
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I never usually watch them ... it's not like you didn't see what happened to begin with, it's pretty shady as far as I'm concerned

WilDPanthA05 on
    edited August 2007
    jb7 wrote: »

Yup, just unplug the nunchuck and replug it. Problen fixed. Why would you take the batteries out of the Wiimote before unpluging the nunchuck?

didn't think of it.

TelMarine on
    edited August 2007
    I never usually watch them ... it's not like you didn't see what happened to begin with, it's pretty shady as far as I'm concerned

I don't know. When a shot is especially neat, I watch the first replay but skip the other angles to not delay the game too much.

Djiem on
    edited August 2007
    Anti-Sean wrote: »
    Is there a common etiquitte regarding replays? Playing in local games that feature them, my friends and I have always clicked through them ASAP in order to get back into the game. I just got my ass handed to me in some random matchup, and it was *excruciating* sitting through the entire length of the replays over and over again.

Yes, people will act like pricks and force you to sit through every replay because they are 'pwning' you and what to show you how much of a noob you are.

Sometimes someone will score an amazing goal and let the replay play through once, and that's understandable cause you want to see what happened.

Mostly watching replays is the equivalent of tea bagging or whatever else ridiculously immature behaviour the scum of the internet like to partake in.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2007
    some people don't know you can skip though. I always skip the cinematics so I can get back to the game. Many times after I scored a goal and skipped, I noticed the other player was just sitting there and I easily stole the ball. They just weren't expecting it to end so abruptly.

TelMarine on
  • postenlpostenl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So.. has anyone had lag free online play yet? I've played 3 matches so far and every one has shown 4 stars but has been slightly laggy, nothing that really messes up gameplay, just not very smooth. I wish I could just hook up an ethernet cable to see if thats any better.

postenl on
    Wii Code: 2868 1567 5951 7748