As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Road Trip: From Chicago to Geneva

LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
Hey all, I have a friend I want to visit that lives in Geneva, NY. I figured I would use that time to do some sight seeing or activities on the way. My tentative plans are to leave Nov. 14th evening and return home Nov. 20th, 6 days with about 24hrs of driving, give or take a few hours.

Here's the general trip according to google maps
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=chicago, il to rochester, ny&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

So what's along the way or nearby I should hit? I'm driving right through Cleveland, so I'm thinking about visiting the Franklin Castle (if that's still possible anymore). Of course I'm also going to hit Niagara Falls, but what else is on the way or nearby? I thought about taking a day or two to drive down to NY to see Sandy's destruction first hand, but I don't know if I would just be more of a problem than a help.

Things I like? Well, haunted houses is one. Historical places. Natural scenery (breathtaking views, natural phenomena, etc). Not so interested in bars or restaurants since I get plenty of those at home, but more so in unique places along the way--in whatever caliber they may be.

• Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    I was going to suggest getting a tour of the Boynton House, built by Frank Lloyd Wright while in Rochester, but it seems like maybe they aren't offering tours anymore.

Sadly, I was also going to suggest Howe's Caverns but that's further east than you're going, so I'm not sure if you'd want to travel for it.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You can't drive from America to Switzer- oh.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Cleveland has some good stuff. the rock and roll Hall of Fame is super touristy and honestly not that great, but it's there.

If you want something more real, check out the West Side Market. Right across the street from that is Great Lakes Brewery, which is great. Nearby is a the Biermarkt which has a fantastic selection of beers.

You're out of season for Cedar Point, but you should make a special trip just for that next summer.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Hypatia wrote: »
    I was going to suggest getting a tour of the Boynton House, built by Frank Lloyd Wright while in Rochester, but it seems like maybe they aren't offering tours anymore.

Sadly, I was also going to suggest Howe's Caverns but that's further east than you're going, so I'm not sure if you'd want to travel for it.

Oh man, spelunking? Looks like it's just another 3 hours from my destination, so pretty doable and on the list, thank you!

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I suggest going through Canada, just because it's a little different, and gives you an international road trip.