As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playdoh Game?

SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
edited August 2006 in PAX Archive
On Saturday night, there was a guy teaching people how to play a nifty game that involved making monsters out of playdough. The number of feet affected movement, and the number of limbs affected attacks, etc. It was wicked fun.

However, I'd like to get my hands on the rules, so that I can teach it to my friends back home properly. Does anyone know who that guy was, or where to find the rules? Apparently it was out of an old Dragon magazine, but he told me a URL that I can't recall now.

Also, whoever ninjaed my anime posters from the lobby when I accidentally left them behind makes me sad. It was only about $10 work of posters, but they were going to be gifts. :( I went back this morning and went through the mountain of beanbag chairs looking for them. No luck. *sniffle*

"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
Samyel on

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    No offense, but the exhibition hall gave away a TON of stuff. So did the main entrance. It's very easy for someone to mistake those lost posters as Exhibition Hall swag. And then you imply leaving it there over night, with cleaners and whatnot. It's not really being ninjaed.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    It was pretty obvious that it wasn't free swag, as it was in a bag with a reciept. I understand that it's ridiculously tempting to yoink something small like that when it was obviously forgotten, but I'm still allowed to pout. I was sleep-deprived and stupid to leave it behind. So I'm pouting, goddamn it.

More important, however, is the playdough game. Anyone know the rules?

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • Options
    DOLPHYNNDOLPHYNN Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I am the guy that was running Clay-O-Rama.

Here is a link to some of its info on BoardGameGeek.com

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9300

The game is also known as Claydonia.

The rules I was using were my own alterterations.

Each leg gives 1 handwith of movement to a max of 4.

Each arm gives 1 attack. The damage of the attack is either 1d6 for a skinny little arm, 2d6 for a medium arm or 3d6 for a large arm. Certain designs may have a 4d6 attack.

To hit you need to roll an 8 or more on 2d6. Your last attack can trigger your Special effect if you roll an 11 or 12.

We were playing that the Special effect took the place of the last attack damage but I shall change that rule next time I run it (at Orycon).

Determining the Damage rating of an arm is by concensus. Determining the damage of a special attack is by concensus as well.

Some Special effects might include:

POKE
    TOSS
    SLAM
    SHOE
    TWIST
    CHOP
    PUNCH
    BOWL
    PINCH
    SCISSOR
    FLICK
    SPIN

or anythign else that works

Modifications can be made for differing attacks (such as some attacks needing a 9 or 10 to hit, or requiring a 12 to be rolled to activate a particularly powerful special effect).

Players all have 50 hit points. Up to 10 hit points extra can be given for exceptional craftsmanship.

Glad it was a hit. It is a fun game.

DOLPHYNN

DOLPHYNN on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    That game pretty much made the trip for me. I'd wandered down to the games room by myself hoping to find people to play with, but was disappointed to find everyone already involved in things, in a chaotic room that looked like 200+ people.

Luckily, I ended up getting "adopted" by a guy who taught me Guillotine, along with another two guys who joined us. We saw your group making stuff with playdough and rolling dice, so jumped ship on our game and went to play yours. :) Thank you for bringing it!

I was the girl in the Guild Wars t-shirt who was trying very hard to lose against the kids--and failing horribly. No one would attack my tentacle monster!

Samyel on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    I didn't play the Play-Doh game, but I watched my sister and her friends doing it. It was totally fun! My sister made a three-headed dragon thing and ended up winning her round.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    That game looked really fun. I was in a Betrayal at House on the Hill game at the next table and wasn't concentrating on it too well because I kept turning around to watch that crazy play-dough game!

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Congrats on your Win. I typically make a similar creature to the Tentacle Monster, but with 3 thick arms.

Glad I could make you happy. Thought you mentioned something about a Husband. He is a lucky guy.

Gave the kids the Play-Doh at the end of the event. Think their mom was about Clay-O-Ramad out by Sunday night. Laugh.

If you go to Orycon I hope to run it again there. Orycon is in November in Portland.

Bummers about the lost posters.

Online rules for Clay-O-Rama often have a missile ruleset. I don't like the Missile stuff, so I leave it out. They also have an attack-back rule where if you are attacked you get to counter attack. This rule is no good, so leave that out as well if you start playing with your friends.

Good Luck,
    DOLPHYNN

DOLPHYNN on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hey, Flex! I was Don Inigo at the murderous shindig. Never got a chance to join in on that Play'Doh game, but it looked pretty fun.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Only husband I have is the hypothetical one I'm going to have to find in order to get work in the US gaming industry. Damn your immigration laws!

Those kids were terribly amusing. The dark monsters that come out of the mind of a 10-year-old girl are sometimes a little astonishing. I think a couple of those were scarier than the stuff the guys were making.

Except the fairy. I thought that kid was going to melt down when her fairy princess monster got mooshed. I'm glad I'm not the one who had to wreck it. :)

Samyel on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Sweet. I can be like the Taxi guy and your Ticket to American Gaming job Goodness. Laugh.

My last job was working for Tesseraction Games making a WWII Naval MMO.

Currently self-employed creating a MMORPG Middleware Chat Engine
    WWW.CHATBLADE.COM

If the US won't let you in, just form your own company. Or we can get hitched, your call.

/em laughs.

Dream Well,
    FLX

DOLPHYNN on