As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medusa WIP (NSFW) updated again! 2007-05-28

Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
Update: I'm finally done!

I'm not touching this thing anymore. It is done. Final.

medusa400x600v2.jpg

detail:
medusadetail1v2.jpg

Large version (1500x1000 pixels)

Original post follows: (however, due to my change of hosts and domain name the links don't worry - sorry. You can still reach the entire WIP on my website here)

medusa400x600.jpg

Title: Medusa
Medium: Digital
Tools: Photoshop, Wacom tablet
Dimensions: 3544×5316 pixels, 30×45cm @ 300 ppi

medusaDetail1.jpg

medusaDetail2.jpg

For those interested there ismore info about the piece and the symbolism involved on my website:
http://www.asymmetric-art.com/2006/10/17/medusa/

My original post follows:

My first thread.

I'm about done with everything down to the chest area - everything below that is in progress. I will be adding color later. Comments?

medusaWIP1a.jpg

medusaWIP1b.jpg

medusaWIP1c.jpg

Sam :) on

• Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Very nice peice. Both in terms of technique and composition. However, I do think the point where the snakes meet the forehead is a bit wrong: they look like each snake attaches on a flat plane - i.e. there is no curve to the head - instead of the proper way. Still, cool.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    w0.0t how long did that take?
    I'm mostly impressed by the detail :D

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The snakes and the head are really well rendered. The only thing that sticks out as poorly defined is her left arm. It looks really flat, even with the snake wrapping around it. Overall you got a superb piece.

Am I going crazy or can I actually see some of the bones? Just wondering.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Damn that's cool.

Sorry, nuthin helpful to say.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Oh yeah, and the first image is a big fat red X for me. I can't see it.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited August 2006

ditto

Kuro Hou on

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Kuro Hou wrote:

ditto

sorry about that - it should work now
    Ape2001 wrote:
    w0.0t how long did that take?

I don't have a stop-watch so it's hard to say. I'm not very time efficient when I paint - I take looong breaks to contemplate. In total I've spent the last 2 weeks pretty much 24/7 working on this pic, but off of that maybe 10% or less is actual crunch time.
    The snakes and the head are really well rendered. The only thing that sticks out as poorly defined is her left arm. It looks really flat, even with the snake wrapping around it. Overall you got a superb piece.

Am I going crazy or can I actually see some of the bones? Just wondering.

Yeah, I havn't started on the final rendering on the arms and stuff below the boobs, so it's still kinda sketchy, if you mean the ribcage I guess I defined those bones a bit much, I will try to tone them down a bit.
    Very nice peice. Both in terms of technique and composition. However, I do think the point where the snakes meet the forehead is a bit wrong: they look like each snake attaches on a flat plane - i.e. there is no curve to the head - instead of the proper way. Still, cool.

I had a LOT of problems there as I painted the snakes and head separeate from eachother and then discovered they didn't quite match... I don't know how to fix that though.

• Options
    edited September 2006
    I’m now done with the body. Next up are the "tentacles". I'm not sure yet if I’m going to use the same technique as for the snakes on her head or if I’m going to make it simpler as not to pull too much focus. Either way it’s going to take a loong while to finish…

medusaWIP2.jpg

• Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    it looks like it took a lot of effort and skill, so i can appreciate that. But its not visually interesting after you get passed the detail... why?

Contrast!

It needs some contrast hardcore bad. No contrast+dead center compisition= not interesting. One of the best ways to do this, would be to add a strong lightsource or two. Then move the gray background somehwere, either darker, lighter, or to an actual enviroment.

medus.jpg

maybe something in that direction.

There are still problem spots though in the compisition i would try and change. Like where her hand covers that thing in the back (right) it creates some confusion. That could be avoided by moving the whole circle thing up, which would also take care the blank space above her head.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    DuckM4nDuckM4n Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Expression of the hands are very awkward, if she is reacting to the snake crawling up her arm then her fingers would not be out stretched like that.

DuckM4n on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    thanks for the comments.

Greatnation - I see what you mean, the composition as it stands is no good - but I think it will look better when I have all the elements in place. Contrast- and compsition-wise.

Duck4M4n - Does it makes more sence if I told you the hands are pressed against the wall?

• Options
    edited September 2006
    You know what? I kind of realized just how detailed you're making this, and I have to ask, what are the dimensions of the full sized image?

Also, I agree with Greatnation, it needs something more. Even a brick pattern on the "wall" behind her (it?) would help.

Kuro Hou on

• Options
    edited September 2006
    Kuro Hou wrote:
    You know what? I kind of realized just how detailed you're making this, and I have to ask, what are the dimensions of the full sized image?

Also, I agree with Greatnation, it needs something more. Even a brick pattern on the "wall" behind her (it?) would help.

The wall will have texture.

The digital image is currently about 3500x5300pixels. It will be printed to approximately 45x65cm @ 200dpi (17.7 x 26.6 inches). I want people to be able to stand back and see the whole painting and its's compostion and then walk up to it and see the brushstokes and fine detail.

• Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    medusafix.jpg

Had a shot at fixing up the hairline issue by adding a multiply layer to it, adding shadows that the snakes might be casting on the forehead.

Top: Original
    Middle: with multiply layer
    Bottom: Multiply layer only.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    *phew* finally done with the tentacles...

medusaWIP4.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2006
    The shadows do add some depth, but the way the snakes protrude out the head is still an issue. It just don't look right. Perhaps give her a headband to mask it like you did on the waist?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The cloth thing around her waist really helps. Great work on that. But I think you'll have to choose between really contrasty like the cloth thing or really not contrasty like the body. They don't mesh well.

TheBog on
  • Options
    drakkoniadrakkonia Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    To me it looks like the body, the cloth, and the tentacles came from three different sources and were sort of pasted together. There's no outlining around the body, medium outline around the tentacles, and really heavy outline around the cloth. It doesn't flow well. And what happened to the wall? But her anatomy is beautiful, especially boobs and hands.

drakkonia on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    damn

hottest monster ever

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Thanx for the replies. I think the problems you described concerning the cloth is due to the fact that it was still in a very sketchy state at that point. Here's an update:

medusaWIP5.jpg

What I have left to work on:

* finish the background (still at conceptual stage - I'm working on some variations on the same theme)
    * background still needs texture and color
    * color (skin, snakes etc)
    * the forehead issue... -_-;

• Options
    drakkoniadrakkonia Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wow, now that's lookin' good. If you're still unhappy with her forehead, maybe you could have the snakes' scales turn into skin gradually, rather than having their bodies come out so abruptly.

drakkonia on
  • Options
    JoviaJovia Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Would you mind uploading the full size version at this point? I really want to ogle those tentacles up close.

Jovia on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    still could use contrast, but your making progress

\

Greatnation on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The drop shadow-ish effect is making it look really flat. You definetely need to make a proper cast shadow.

Also, I think the shades on the body need more contrast to better match just about everything else in the picture.

also also, you have been working on this for MONTHS. Even if you haven't really been working on it that whole time, I think its about time you just finished it already.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    wakkawa wrote:
    also also, you have been working on this for MONTHS. Even if you haven't really been working on it that whole time, I think its about time you just finished it already.
    Not everyone can make something amazing in a day. There are and were many artists that took at least a year to finish something.

Also, I'd also like to see a full resolution picture if that's possible. This one's too small to see all the details.

Somewhat BOTP:
    Sam :) wrote:
    Thanx for the replies. I think the problems you described concerning the cloth is due to the fact that it was still in a very sketchy state at that point. Here's an update:

medusaWIP5.jpg

What I have left to work on:

* finish the background (still at conceptual stage - I'm working on some variations on the same theme)
    * background still needs texture and color
    * color (skin, snakes etc)
    * the forehead issue... -_-;

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I pretty much agree with Wakkawa here.

It is true that not every one can crank out a masterpiece in a few days. But much of the work being done on the pic is making it look over-produced. The wire thingies hanging from above, the circular tribal thing, they don't really add anything to the overall picture. I think you could really finish this up if you just buckled down on it, and addressed its problems.

I would work more on making the wall look more wallish. To me, that would tie the figure in with the enviornment.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm in college and I'm not studying art so I'm painting this on the very limited spare-time I have. It's unfortunate and I agree that if I would have unlimited time to work on this I would whip it togheter faster and I could preserve the original inspiration "fresh" thruout the process.

I'm not going to post a full res image - however, here is a detail of the tentacles:

medusaWIP5b.jpg
    The drop shadow-ish effect is making it look really flat. You definetely need to make a proper cast shadow.

well, it is a flat image - she is pressed against the wall. What do you mean by drop vs cast shadows? If you mean to say that my shadows are too diffuse - so may be the case. I was going for a rather diffuse and soft lighting.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What, so art students have an unlimited amount of time? like they can work on any project they want at any time of the day.

Anyways, you cant be perfectly pressed against the wall. Especially because of how her arms, head(snakes and all that) and torso are placed. And with the shadows you need to make them look like they are on different planes. Right now everything looks like it is on the exact same level, especially the tentacles. There needs to be some coming at the viewer instead of all of them fallin back.

medusa.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wow...I'd take wakka's advice there. What he did really improved the image, albeit now I don't think you could do a lot more than exactly what he showed.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    RagnarDanneskjoldRagnarDanneskjold Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    Wow... this thing is turning out to be bloody awesome. I liked the original image but then worked my way along the thread until I got to wakkawa's version.

Medusa is such an interesting character that I commend your choosing her as a subject. I think you approached it in a unique way and I find myself staring at it intently for a long period of time just to see all that is going on within it. I imagine that is one goal for an artist, so good work there.

I hope you will post a link to this in full detail when you finish. I am very impressed!

RagnarDanneskjold on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So it's finally "done" (I may tweak it some - but nothing major).

medusa400x600.jpg

Title: Medusa
    Medium: Digital
    Tools: Photoshop, Wacom tablet
    Dimensions: 3544×5316 pixels, 30×45cm @ 300 ppi

medusaDetail1.jpg

medusaDetail2.jpg

For those interested there's more info about the piece and the symbolism involved on my website:
    http://www.asymmetric-art.com/2006/10/17/medusa/

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can understand leaving the snakes and tentacles in grayscale, maybe they've got silver scales, but leaving the cloth in grayscale too just screams "rushjob" to me (opinion), and it looks strange. Anatomy overall seems decent, but something about her lower jaw/mouth is bugging me. Could have picked a more dramatic lightsource too so as to have some cast shadows on her torso to help define form and create interest, but it's a little late for that I suppose. Hands are very nice though.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    what color would you suggest for the cloth? I honestly tried different approaches to it but it just looked "too colorfull" imo and sort of gave that same pasted on look which was mentioned before. My solution was to keep the cloth the same color as the snakes (which are actually not just grey but slightly golden grey) to tie them up.

• Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I liked it alot better in black and white. The flesh tones while everything else is monochromatic makes it look like it's not done.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    AgelessDrifterAgelessDrifter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well, the contrast adds up much better now. I agree that it looks incomplete though. Maybe just a touch of color to the cloth? Also, there's a very outliny feel to the area where the cloth meets the stomach.

Overall though, I like it a lot.

AgelessDrifter on
    "I hate when people use quotes in their signatures." - AgelessDrifter
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Her skin tone seems really bland...like, only one hue was used. Her lips. nose, ears, cheeks, fingertips/nails, etc have no color in them (by which I mean, a red tint; blood). I think it would overall make her look more realistic if you were to add that in.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Damnit. I didn't want to say anything, because everyone else actually knows what they're talking about, but I thought the way the snakes were coming out of her forehead was fantastic. Now I'm kind of sad. :(

Sheri on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You've got more art talent in your pinky finger then alot of us do in our whole bodies, INCLUDING our pee pees. Kudos to you, you've done a great job, and apart from some taste issues that you and I differ on, you've done a great job.

You better get a good mark on this, or I'll personally hunt your instructors down and shampoo their heads while they sleep.

With REAL POO!!

EDIT

Oh heck, good things come in threes. You've done a great job.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    thanks for the comments. I have 2 papers due next week so I have to put an end to my "creative session" - however, to show how I might change the colors in the future I whipped togheter a quick update:

medusaColorTest.jpg

It looks ok at a distance but up close this paint job is terrible - hence why I say I would do this in the future. Personally I feel that the weakest part of the image besides the color is the negative space over her head. In my previous version I had dangling wires. Which do you preferr? I noticed that this new version looks better in a larger size for some reason - I'm going to have to print it out to see if it works at the size I intended (mental note).

Anyways. I think it'll be at least 2 more weeks before I'll have any more updates on this.

• Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I would play with more overall lighting color. There is no tint thats universal to her whole body and because of this it gives the impression that the different sections of her body are all seperate and put together. Plus all of the color being in the torso draws all the attention there. Bacon could probably explain it better.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg