As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

beem - light reflection puzzle game

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited September 2012 in Indie Games
My name is Blake Davis, and I am an independent developer who has made a game called beem.

beem is a puzzle game based around directing a beam of light through targets and around obstacles to power a mysterious machine called the light engine. You can reflect, filter, and split light with a toolbox of mirrors, prisms, and crystal shards.

so whats the big deal?

* a beam of light follows laws of optical physics. light can be reflected at arbitrary angles, you can place a mirror anywhere you want, you can filter and split colors out of white light, you can go nuts with the reflections.
* character is important to me in games I like to play, and I tried to instill my own style in two ways:
* a creature called the gremlin helps the player along and guides them through the story as the player discovers secrets about the light engine. In short, he's a smartass who can't spell.
* created all the art, music, and sound effects, to make a mysterious and ominous mood.
* it was built for touch - it feels great, you can use one or two fingers to unscrew, ratchet, and fine tune.
* i released it aiming to make major content updates based on player feedback, and so far its been a blast!

i play a lot of games, and I wanted to create something new that puzzle fans would like.

its on the appstore now for for iPhone and iPad for $0.99 and there's a free lite version for your demoing pleasure!

twitter: @thebeamoflight
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beem/156257484487154
appstore link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beem/id524301680?mt=8&uo=4

gameplay videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=LLf1qSDpWrSz-eUaaYRHO8JA&v=wuadI5ZLPUo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=LLf1qSDpWrSz-eUaaYRHO8JA&feature=player_detailpage&v=KMWvadmTwiM

screenshots:
corridor.png
lime-grid.png
green-flash.png
gem-corridors.png
converger-chamber.png
beem-coil.png
curious.png

Tube on

• hexatehexate Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    beem is on windows now too!

http://www.desura.com/games/beem

desura freebie codes! - please grab a key and check it out! i only ask for your thoughts and a rating on desura if you give it a go.
    H2VDT-398AK-NJF1Y-K2SHF-520UU
    X4GM9-R7HPT-EC1Y4-MXQKY-NCPFB
    TWVNL-NO6P4-TS8ND-AUQFN-FKZ8V
    OE1VD-ZWBKE-1XTAI-OUQRU-QMWXC
    HQ8VS-K4V0Z-Y2HEY-88FID-1WJWW

i hope you guys dig it! i am a software developer by day as well, so i like talking about the technical stuff if anyone is interested. i wrote it using the MonoGame open source project, which allows game developers to write once and build to many places. the two biggest games i can think of using it are Armed! for windows phone (soon to be iOS), and Bastion, which was just released for iOS. i hope to have an android version working soon, and ultimately windows phone and xbox.

latest release: the black lantern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jL6NYqkYlA

new trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KYeasb9ak

hexate on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    This looks pretty neat! I like puzzle games. Will have to check it out this weekend. Hope it sells well for you!

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Damn, I was pretty interested in this, but you don't even have future plans for putting it on something I own!

I wish more indie games like this would be available on plain old vanilla Windows PC. Not having a smartphone cuts me off from a whole universe of games, especially since I also don't have a 360 :(

Here's hoping I'll get to play this someday, though, the gameplay trailers make it look definitely worth a look.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    Kainy wrote: »
    Damn, I was pretty interested in this, but you don't even have future plans for putting it on something I own!

I wish more indie games like this would be available on plain old vanilla Windows PC.

heh, the funny thing is i do all my development and testing as a windows application, then worry about optimizing for devices. windows is the easiest platform to develop for in my environment. the main reasons i haven't planned for windows immediately are:

1. it was originally designed for touch (not a show stopper, but a mouse doesn't feel as good)
    2. distribution for windows is daunting and i'm not really sure the best way to go about it.

the options as i see it:
    1. sell it myself on my website (then i have to worry about some sort of licensing key system or something - i just don't know a ton about it)
    2. something like steam (but that sounds like a nightmare - especially with all the greenlight stuff lately).

since i update often, i also have to worry about some automatic version updating system or something. honestly, i've never done it and don't know much about it. i spend most of my time on web servers.

i will definitely have to do some reading up on it though, maybe its not so bad these days.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    You may want to check out Desura as a distribution channel. They are very indie friendly, run the Royale Indie Bundles and have a nice Steam-like client. I also have heard that GamersGate is a very indie friendly Digital Distributor.

wow, desura looks really cool. only problem is i'm super tempted to start playing some games - something i had to seriously curb when i started working on my own :)

i just made a video demoing a new mechanic to be released soon: portals! shit gets real with these things - initial play testing is telling me they add a significant layer of difficulty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLbRr1_PX7o

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Got the lite version, since it looks interesting.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    I played and beat the light version. It was rather entertaining, both with the gameplay and the gremlin :P

Steam profile
    glad you dig it!

in other news, i am trying to get set up in desura, and i'm curious as to how much would be a reasonable amount of $ to charge for it. most puzzle games are in the $1.99 - $3.99 range i'm noticing.

latest release 1.2.0 - the black lantern is available on the apple appstore today. i added new videos to the reserved space above.

windows is happening soon too via desura, which will make it a ton easier for me to do beta testing, so i'm pretty excited for that.

• khanstructkhanstruct Registered User regular
    Looks good. Gives me the impression of an open-world style of the game, Refraction. Definitely a cool genre for this kind of puzzle game.

I do not envy the daunting task of level design.

level design is tough, whenever i make a new level, it can usually be exploited pretty easily, so i tweak from there.

in other news, i just released on desura! i put some freebie keys up above, so please grab it and tell me what you think. thanks!

edited October 2012
    Well I enjoyed the demo :). I grabbed the first key.

Edit: Small note- Your instructions still say "tap to continue" when you probably should change that to "click" :)

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited October 2012
    I got a glitch on the Juncture Uninteresting level. It wouldn't let me click on the meers from my toolbox, or the other two icons on the bottom left (although it would appear I can never click on those (never mind, this is again related to the bug with having to click "below" the object, as described below)).

I minimized the game, brought it back up, and all of the obstacles were invisible (although still blocking the beem). I was, however, then able to place meers again. (After playing these levels over again, I notice that it is a bit difficult to get it to register your clicks in the toolbox. Actually, this again appears to be the same bug as the one with clicking on things in the menu, as I describe below. Clicking on the space below the toolbox works :P)

In fact, it looks like minimizing the game at any level causes the obstacles to appear.

I left the game, and started up the game, and hit Escape. The menu went away, and all I see is that intro screen with the giant crystal above the hole. Can't seem to do anything? (Edit: Again, I figured out I can click on the space below the icon to get back to the menu.)

When I start the game and go into the Play menu, the furthest level I see is "Entry Doors 01," which I've already moved past (clearly, since I reached Juncture Uninteresting :P). I see the arrows to get to the second "stage," the Antimatter place, but it seems like I definitely can't see all the levels in a stage. It does not give me the tutorial again when I replay the levels (starting with Entry Doors 01) that I've already done, so it knows I've done them. Am I just missing something on how to see more levels?

Also, it looks like the names of the levels do not align properly with the actual underlying menu, or something like that? As in, I move my mouse to "Entry Doors 01," but the level above it is still selected until I move down more pixels. And "Entry Doors 01" stays selected for a noticeable distance after my cursor is clearly below it. etc.

kime on
    Steam profile
    that is super funky i have not seen anything like that. does it happen regularly? ie it happens any time you try to solve that level? PM me for some trickery through the console to try to fix the level issue. any repro steps appreciated also, but that's the first i've heard of anything like that.

yeah i thought i updated the 'tap' thing in that version but apparently not!

I am able to consistently replicate both of the "main" bugs (sorry my last post was a bit rambling).

1) Minimizing the game and then bring it back causes the obstacles to disappear.

2) Clicking on things in the menu and toolbar and such has that offset where to actually get a response you need to click a bit below it. I dunno, resolution issues maybe?

Both of those bugs happen on all levels. And on the main screen too with the second bug, for that matter.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the game did not solve anything. If it's not occurring for anyone else, I can try installing the game on my laptop and seeing if that fixes anything. But probably won't be able to do that anytime soon.

Steam profile
    yeah that is strange, i can't repro any of that on my dev environment. i have found one issue related to minimizing, but you have to be trying pretty hard to hit it.

PM me details on your system and maybe i can figure something out (windows version, XNA version, and anything else interesting).

• MongertajaMongertaja Registered User new member
    Hi there! Tried the game. Was awesome. I grabbed the secind key :)

i ran out of keys - thanks for checking my game out guys! please rate it on desura if you get the chance. any and all feedback appreciated.

the main thing i've heard from the latest release is that players want more challenge, so i'm working on a hard mode.