As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, November 5, 2012 - The Queue

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Somewhat... familiar...

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Somewhat... familiar...

Christ I feel so old.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Somewhat... familiar...

I was thinking that. Not complaining, because that's one of my favourites.
    It does highlight the difference in cultures, though.
    "You wanna rush that guy?"
    "No, it wouldn't be proper."
    See, this is why we Brits lost.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is the same dance as the Ninja Gaiden comic, just to a different tune.

and god damn Gabe... why not just make the guy's entire face a nose like you initially were trying to. Jesus christ.

I don't get why their noses are so red. Is that a common thing for the English?

• Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Trench nose infection is spreading.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's colonial Boston in winter. Trenchnose is totally justified here.

And I'm not so sure this applies to ACIII so much anymore! Guards tend to pile the fuck on now.

Oh brilliant
  • NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    That's not a case of Trenchnose, it's just a huge nose; Trenchnose is where the nose is less a nose than an orange rectangle.

• BrewBrew Registered User regular
    This comic made me smile. The look of happy anticipation in the last frame is so charming.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Oh, British people. Queueing just for the love of the queue.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Guards still only attack one at a time, but they attack much more frequently and one right after the other.

Actually, combat in AC3 feels a lot more like the combat in Batman to me. It's more like a free-flow dance this time around.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Guards still only attack one at a time, but they attack much more frequently and one right after the other.

Actually, combat in AC3 feels a lot more like the combat in Batman to me. It's more like a free-flow dance this time around.

Agreed - plus, (like Batman: AC) you do occasionally get two guys attacking you at once and you can counter both with some really cool animations (like having one guy bayonet the other guy). Plus I really like the idea that the soldiers will actually try to line up and shoot you if you're far enough away - the firing line/human shield mechanic is a really cool addition that makes the enemy AI seem not completely stupid all the time.

• Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    It feels like it tries to be like Batman or Sleepy Dawgs but it comes up short because it feels vague and soggy.

Now get out there and KILL THAT NINJA.

• oasis789oasis789 USARegistered User regular
    Don't the ranged attackers shoot you while you're taking on melee?

oasis789 wrote: »

Sometimes. The officers will try to get your with their pistols from a few feet away (and go "I'M GOING TO SHOOT HIM, MEN, JUST YOU WAIT. HERE IT COMES!" to give you enough to to slap him), and it seems like there has to be at least 3 or 4 regular guys with muskets before they try to line up and shoot you (might be historical, since with muskets' lack of accuracy you had to basically have a wall of musketballs flying at something to have a chance at hitting it).

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This isn't really the same as the Ninja Gaiden comic, I think - the joke here is that they're all around you but attacking one at a time, whereas the joke in Ninja Gaiden is that instead of sending them so that they're all around you, they send them in one at a time.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That and these guys seemed resigned or eager to get chopped whereas in the NG comic they were being thrown into the meatgrinder.

steam_sig.png
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    wait, this is about AC3? i thought this was about early voting :P

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • toddiuszhotoddiuszho Registered User regular
    The earlier Hitman games were even worse. When someone entered a room with a gazillion corpses, they stood in the same spot and bent over at the exact same angle to investigate. You would purposely fire the gun with the most noise to attract the most attention. With your crosshair at the perfect sweet spot, you just pressed the fire button everytime someone came in. Silent Assassin achievement be damned.

• FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    oasis789 wrote: »

Sometimes. The officers will try to get your with their pistols from a few feet away (and go "I'M GOING TO SHOOT HIM, MEN, JUST YOU WAIT. HERE IT COMES!" to give you enough to to slap him), and it seems like there has to be at least 3 or 4 regular guys with muskets before they try to line up and shoot you (might be historical, since with muskets' lack of accuracy you had to basically have a wall of musketballs flying at something to have a chance at hitting it).

Pistols were even worse, hence all the "I'm going to shoot him, GET OUT OF THE BLOODY WAY!"

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Somewhat... familiar...

Christ I feel so old.

You'll feel really old if you remember the original source material from 1994...
    http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93sninjas.phtml

Wish I could find a video of it online. Always cracks me up.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Cartoon art is not literal representation of real life. I hope you didn't watch Doug because that would've fucked with your head.

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Cartoon art is not literal representation of real life. I hope you didn't watch Doug because that would've fucked with your head.

I don't know. They got some of it right.

WOg2k.jpg

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    Actually I thought about this originally http://youtu.be/f36gPAfgRMU

Suburban kids m i rite?

Henroid wrote: »

Yes yes water is wet sky is blue those noses are not to my liking and all that.

• ApolloinApolloin Registered User regular
    it seems like there has to be at least 3 or 4 regular guys with muskets before they try to line up and shoot you (might be historical, since with muskets' lack of accuracy you had to basically have a wall of musketballs flying at something to have a chance at hitting it).

You really didn't. I've shot smoothbore muskets of a pattern that would have been over a century out of date by the time of the rebellion and accuracy at ranges of 100m is not at all uncommon, even with a shooter out of training (like myself).

The use of the 'wall of muskets' is a lot more to do with the total inability to maintain Command, Control and Communication in dispersed units without radio, which would make battlefield control of them almost impossible. Pre-arranged signals could be communicated by bugle or drum, Sun Tzu used flag waving, I understand, but any sort of detailed instruction required the use of a runner. Can you imagine trying to get that message to all the squads in a Batallion whilst under fire?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Agreed - plus, (like Batman: AC) you do occasionally get two guys attacking you at once and you can counter both with some really cool animations (like having one guy bayonet the other guy). Plus I really like the idea that the soldiers will actually try to line up and shoot you if you're far enough away - the firing line/human shield mechanic is a really cool addition that makes the enemy AI seem not completely stupid all the time.

I've killed two fort commanders that way :D

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    There's a local company that makes tomahawks for military use. I've wondered if they are standard issue for anyone, or if it's more of a "fuck knives I'm buying a fucking tomahawk" type thing.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    jackal wrote: »
    There's a local company that makes tomahawks for military use. I've wondered if they are standard issue for anyone, or if it's more of a "fuck knives I'm buying a fucking tomahawk" type thing.

My understanding is that they're a modern take on the VTACs from the Vietnam war, meant more as a tool than a weapon. The description for the F01T tactical tomahawk says it's for "breaching operations, excavation, obstacle removal, extraction, and other utility applications."

Of course, I guess the company can't really put "CRACK DUDES HEADS OPEN" on the package when they're selling a version for civilian use. The longer reach and heavier blade than a combat knife isn't lost on the guys who carry them.

Hevach on