As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Young Justice was Better Thread

• Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2006
    rchou wrote:
    so, anyone else annoyed by what they're doing with batgirl ? she used to be so interesting...
    Yeah, it's a shame. I bet within a few years' she'll be back to normal though.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    STOP FIGHTING EVERYONE

I came here to talk about how much I wanted to see the back stories on the new Titans and see them in action and all you can do is fight.

None of you even mentioned Mas Y Manos!

YOU'RE TEARING US APART!!!

I'm telling Whippy!

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ENERjAKzeroENERjAKzero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mas y Menos :wink:

And yeah, didn't recognize them right way, probably due to the fact that they don't seem to be chubby midgets anymore.

ENERjAKzero on
    eZEROBanner.gif

Petey+Blanco.gif
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I have to say, Johns' whole "hey let's make smaller versions of superheroes I like wooo!" thing kind of plays into the whole problem with his run on Teen Titans vs. Young Justice.

Superboy, a slightly-built young man who spat bravado and overconfidence left and right, and relied on his tactile telekinesis for powers became a wide-shouldered, Superman Jr. with all of Superman's powers and lack of confidence in himself. Impulse became a watered down Wally West. Robin began to take more and more after Batman. Wonder Girl.. pretty much stayed the same but lost a lot of her teenage charm. Empress and Lil' Lobo/Slo-bo were never mentioned again, and Arrowette and Secret were lucky to get the what, five or six panels they have over the course of Johns' TT run?

I liked Young Justice because it was a mix of younger versions of heroes/sidekicks that still had personalities and powers seperate from their mentors, and original members. Teen Titans seems to be all about taking older characters and shoving them in whenever possible, and doing all they can to make sidekicks more like their mentors, or failing that, just making little versions of the main heroes.

I think Teen Titans is pretty good in its own way, but the nostalgia fest bugs me a bit.

Munch on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2006
    "...but the nostalgia fest bugs me a bit."

Kind of ironic coming from dudes who are have a JLI/YJ nostalgia wankfest every other day.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    I don't mind all these new characters being created for the Titans. Why? It's a supergroup founded by kid sidekicks or young analogues of adult heroes. Now lets face it, we've had more or less the same roster with a few different variables. These new characters add something different to the mix, whether they're analogues ot not.

It just seems unoriginal though. It's like adding sidekicks these established characters didn't need.

It's like theyre supplying the next crossover with more fodder to kill.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Kind of ironic coming from dudes who are have a JLI/YJ nostalgia wankfest every other day.

How is trying to prevoke a argurement productive in any way? Big deal, they don't like the way DC has handled some characters. Why does it seem to be an problem for your because people liked things and don't like the way they turned out?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Jesus christ, why are you still here?

This has got to be the 5th time someone has said that today ALONE.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    So I hear that Superboy had tactile telekinesis.

Yep..heard it from the man himself.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    so, Teen Titans is like one of my favorite books each month.

Does that mean I can't hang out with you guys anymore.

I hate to sound like Terrorbyte, but there's a lot of hate in here.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    so, Teen Titans is like one of my favorite books each month.

Does that mean I can't hang out with you guys anymore.

I hate to sound like Terrorbyte, but there's a lot of hate in here.

It's one of mine too. I've read Young Justice but much like Superbuddies I just don't share the frothing love many people here do.

Furu on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    So I hear that Superboy had tactile telekinesis.

Yep..heard it from the man himself.

Wikipedia told me that most all super-strong comic-folks have Tactile TK. Which neatly explains how they can lift large objects from a very small contact-point without them bucking or falling apart.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    rchou wrote:
    so, anyone else annoyed by what they're doing with batgirl ? she used to be so interesting...

But she's not Barbara Gordon. And Barbara Gordon is obviously the better Batgirl because she's silver age, motherfucker. So she has to be brought back and we'll just say that Cass turned evil for no good reason whatsoever while completely ignoring her basic character.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    rchou wrote:

But she's not Barbara Gordon. And Barbara Gordon is obviously the better Batgirl because she's silver age, motherfucker. So she has to be brought back and we'll just say that Cass turned evil for no good reason whatsoever while completely ignoring her basic character.
    Oh come on.

I think that her reasons for switching sides as outlined in Robin are more than a little dodgy, but to say that it wasn't a likely outcome for the character borders on delusional, especially after the last few issues of her solo title, the destruction of Bludhaven, Spoiler's murder, etc.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    rchou wrote:

Oh come on.

I think that her reasons for switching sides as outlined in Robin are more than a little dodgy, but to say that it wasn't a likely outcome for the character borders on delusional, especially after the last few issues of her solo title, the destruction of Bludhaven, Spoiler's murder, etc.

Spoiler's murder happened during No Man's Land. That was quite a while ago. I might admit that killing Shiva may have turned her but I doubt that it would have led her to becoming an assassin again. Cass finds it damn near impossible to kill someone due to the fact that when her target dies, she feels their death. To have her shoot Cain point blank was just ridiculous.

I admit I went a little far with the Silver Age thing (given the fact that the Batgirl in BoP is most likely a fake-out). But it still annoys me as to how they've handled her character.

Rociel on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The only explanation I can see is that her resurrection warped her mind. I didn't read DC til the Crisis, but I went back and read her book and there's nothing in there that would seem to lead to her becoming evil. Even at the end she was very much a hero. I really hope it's not permanent.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    Rociel wrote:
    rchou wrote:

Oh come on.

Spoiler's murder happened during No Man's Land. That was quite a while ago. I might admit that killing Shiva may have turned her but I doubt that it would have led her to becoming an assassin again. Cass finds it damn near impossible to kill someone due to the fact that when her target dies, she feels their death. To have her shoot Cain point blank was just ridiculous.

I admit I went a little far with the Silver Age thing (given the fact that the Batgirl in BoP is most likely a fake-out). But it still annoys me as to how they've handled her character.

But the body was taken so we don't know if he's dead. We never actully saw her kill anyone.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Spoiler died during War Games. She was beaten within an inch of her life by Black Mask, and Dr. Thompkins let her die to 'teach Batman a lesson'.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    what made her interesting was her horrible past, her really unique "powers," and most of all her struggle to come to turns with how to be a hero based on who she is.

take away all that (which they've basically done) and all you have is another generic female asian martial artist. and really, do we ever need more than one of those?

they didn't need another lady shiva. that's what lady shiva is for.

rchou on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Wasn't there a point in War Games where Orpheus hinted that Babs needn't stay crippled in a wheelchair if she didn't want to?

This is the DCU, after all, people have recovered from far more extensive injuries than a mere broken spine.

Why, Bats himself shrugged his off with a good night's sleep and determination!

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    bobgorila wrote:
    Wasn't there a point in War Games where Orpheus hinted that Babs needn't stay crippled in a wheelchair if she didn't want to?

This is the DCU, after all, people have recovered from far more extensive injuries than a mere broken spine.

well, she was getting some treatment prior to Crisis, and she had some mobility in her feet. We have yet to see if she's made any progress during the missing year.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    bobgorila wrote:

well, she was getting some treatment prior to Crisis, and she had some mobility in her feet. We have yet to see if she's made any progress during the missing year.

So, just as reading Harlequinn back-issues has filled me with nostalgia for a redhead batgirl, DC looks set to deliver!

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    bobgorila wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:

So, just as reading Harlequinn back-issues has filled me with nostalgia for a redhead batgirl, DC looks set to deliver!
    In the last two issues of Birds of Prey, there's been someone leaping around wearing Bab's old costume.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2006
    bobgorila wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:

In the last two issues of Birds of Prey, there's been someone leaping around wearing Bab's old costume.

And apparently the same tits that Babs has.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:

And apparently the same tits that Babs has.
    Batwoman is pretty busty. It could be her.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm going to be honest, I really didn't like Teen Titans prior to OYL. I thought it was a good book, but it really just reminded me of how great YJ was.

OYL was a great move for Teen Titans, and it's definantly one of my favorite books now.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Ummm.....so is Offspring supposed to be the son of Plastic man that was introduced in JLA way back?

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Tank wrote:
    Ummm.....so is Offspring supposed to be the son of Plastic man that was introduced in JLA way back?

Kingdom Come.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Tank wrote:

Kingdom Come.

Plastic Man's son was introduced in continuity in JLA (correct me if I'm wrong). They gave him the name "Offspring" to keep in line with KC.

Rociel on
  • Options
    jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    waitaminnit KC isn't continuity, is it?

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    waitaminnit KC isn't continuity, is it?

No, it isn't.

Offspring actually came about from The Kingdom I believe, but was mentioned in JLA.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    It's technically an Elseworlds story but they keep working elements of it into continuity anyway.

DMAC on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    I'm going to be honest, I really didn't like Teen Titans prior to OYL. I thought it was a good book, but it really just reminded me of how great YJ was.

OYL was a great move for Teen Titans, and it's definantly one of my favorite books now.

Wow... that actually makes me kinda glad I never read YJ until Graduation Day... not because I don't believe it was phenomenal, but because Teen Titans is what finally broke me of my Marvel is god delusions... I loved every story and arc, it has been my favorite book. Since IC though, it's lost a little of its charm... but I still consider it my favorite book.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It would be cool if they made a teen-version of Booster Gold. They could call him Booster Bronze or something. :lol:

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Tank wrote:
    It would be cool if they made a teen-version of Booster Gold. They could call him Booster Bronze or something. :lol:

This is why you don't write comics.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Tank wrote:

They already had a kid come from the future... they called him Impulse/Kid Flash... or did you mean a kid who just acted like a dick?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So, getting back to Titans East.

Except for Cassie (who I still have my doubts about, but I expect Johns to at least explain what happened) it looks pretty awesome. Great to see Inertia and Match back.

EDIT: Also, more on the Teen Titans fill-in characters and which of them we'll be seeing soon: http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/titans/TonyDaniel/Daniel.html

Furu on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'm interested in just where Match has been for the past couple of years. Him and Inertia both. They were both too good to just be tossed into limbo.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Furu wrote:

Except for Cassie (who I still have my doubts about, but I expect Johns to at least explain what happened) it looks pretty awesome. Great to see Inertia and Match back.

EDIT: Also, more on the Teen Titans fill-in characters and which of them we'll be seeing soon: http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/titans/TonyDaniel/Daniel.html

"I wanted a Hispanic character on the Titans East. I'm Irish and Puerto Rican. There's not enough minorities in comics, so that was my one request."

fuck you dude

edit:
    " NRAMA: Talon?

TD: We wanted him to look a bit like Owl-Man from the Crime Syndicate. I don't know if I can share who it is under that mask. It may be a secret. "

Uh-oh! :o

Young Frankenstein looks exactly like Frankenstein except with a smaller head. And I'm not a big fan of this guy's art. Save for one or two pictures on that page, it sucks.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Furu wrote:

"I wanted a Hispanic character on the Titans East. I'm Irish and Puerto Rican. There's not enough minorities in comics, so that was my one request."

fuck you dude

What's the problem?

robosagogo on