As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Monday, November 5, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 27: The Price of Progress

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, November 5, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 27: The Price of Progress

Square Enix is listening, and realizes it has to hide its shenanigans better.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• NecroxNecrox Registered User regular
    Thanks Kathleen.
    Thanks for showing that Grim Fandango clip, thereby raising our hopes, and THEN making the joke that it will be ignored again.
    Watch your back. Watch. Your. Back.

Disclaimer: The above statement is entirely a humorous jab, and not in any way meant to indicate that you should be watching for snipers whereever you go the next couple of days.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Ragepooping sounds very uncomfortable.

sig.gif
  • Don RebaDon Reba Registered User regular
    I'm eating a whole ton o'chocolate right now.

• wullailwullail Registered User new member
    Anyone else getting 'advertisment is playing' at the bottom and just a small blue rectangle and then nothing?

• WolvenSpectreWolvenSpectre Saskatchewan, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have to get a colonoscopy because I ate ALL THE CHOCOLATES and tried RAGE POOPING... its kind of like taking both pills in the matrix, chasing it with a raw egg spiced with just a hint of an overdose of steroids!

• WhyroonWhyroon Registered User regular
    Interesting position on the terrible crime of writing words that offend the sensibilities of religious fundamentalists and their violent mobs.

I'll let you know which words I've decided will force me to destroy you, and there are some things I don't want you drawing any more too, or else.

• SeltzerKingSeltzerKing Registered User new member
    edited November 2012
    OK, green flash at the end: actual something or render glitch? Right when it rolls to 3:53.

:Edit: Just a glitch, no ragepoop subliminal. Odd feeling of relief and disappointment.

SeltzerKing on
  • rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    And full throttle, and loom, and secret weapons of the luftwaffe, and star wars games that don't have "Lego" in the title etc etc etc.

I definitely plan to incorporate "ragepooing" into my daily vocabulary.

• gordallottgordallott Registered User new member
    if you are only willing to pay $2 for a game, wether on ios or not, you'll get exactly what you pay for, a game worth $2. i'd prefer to pay $20 for a game worth $20

• spoonybard.hahsspoonybard.hahs Registered User regular
    @Whyroon The take away is that publishers know that this is going to upset people, so rather than do anything to avoid it before hand, they do it anyway and hope that no one will notice. Then people do notice and then they have to waste time, money, and man power undoing something that could have easily been avoided in the first place.

• Formica ArchonisFormica Archonis Registered User regular
    Thanks for making the filename match up with the episode title again before I had a chance to whine at you guys about it. :)

• BloodMuffinBloodMuffin Registered User regular
    No, nobody should "Stop doing this." If we want to put Arabic text in our games we will do it. I don't think we should cater to anyone's opinions or beliefs.

Funny how you can rampage through Churches, Buddhist temples, or any other religious symbol and nobody gives a flying fuck.

Why are you wasting time giving into these twats? Fuck them. If they have a problem with it then I wouldn't want those assholes playing with us anyway.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    It's called a Jack Bauer Power Dump now

• AzuesAzues Registered User new member
    @BloodMuffin

You have made my day. That is all.

• Indigo DarkwolfIndigo Darkwolf Registered User regular
    @spoonybard.hahs
    Well, it's probably not the publisher's fault, anyways. They might even have a policy in place about this already. All it really takes is one artist accidentally forgetting about a piece of placeholder art and this kind of stuff slips in. It's entirely possible that the artist's intention was to redo the asset with something less controversial.

Or it's possible that no one realized there was a problem in the first place. Arabic letter-art can be hard to distinguish from artistic patterns, such as the example from 2:26, a picture frame which I certainly never would have recognized as text.

• Punk RexPunk Rex Registered User regular
    KATHLEEN, SHOW US YOUR WAR FACE!!!
    YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN THAT!!!

• apollyonbobapollyonbob Registered User regular
    @BloodMuffin Yeah for a moment I thought the 'Stop doing this!' was to say 'Stop caving to these people!' or 'Stop making stupid demands, Islamists!' but I forgot, they're Canadian, so ...

• TheMagicLemurTheMagicLemur Registered User regular
    The fuck is WingStop?

Do they offer to buy back the wings they just sold you for a tenth of what you paid?

• TheMagicLemurTheMagicLemur Registered User regular
    @apollyonbob ...they have tact and courtesy? Yeah, those fuckin' Canadians...

• GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    No, nobody should "Stop doing this." If we want to put Arabic text in our games we will do it.
    @BloodMuffin Yeah for a moment I thought the 'Stop doing this!' was to say 'Stop caving to these people!' or 'Stop making stupid demands, Islamists!' but I forgot, they're Canadian, so ...

To be clear, I don't think developers should be caving to demands to remove whole levels or whatever. I agree with you that it's stupid.

But! There is a big difference between using religious imagery or iconography because you're trying to say something, or you're trying to make a point, and using it because you were too lazy to check what the text meant and just needed a "middle eastern looking" texture. Regardless of what the devs do after the fact, it shouldn't be there in the first place.

Japanese games use Christian imagery all the time, and that's fine. But there's a difference between Richter in Castlevania using a cross to attack, and a character wearing a t-shirt that says "Jesus Sucks" just because they needed some English text.

@apollyonbob: I like your sly assertion that because we're Canadian, we want to cave every time a religious extremist gets angry. That's cute.

• AymAym Registered User new member
    Oh Day of the Tentacle, how I miss you!

edited November 2012
    @GrahamS It wasn't really meant to be sly, haha.

And I get what you're saying - laziness certainly doesn't need to be defended.

But two points. First, though we didn't get a clear look at it from your video, this new texture looked far more purposeful than the CoD one. It didn't look like the writing was accidental, as it looked like it based on something. It's difficult to tell the difference, to me, between artist laziness and artist purpose. And it makes little difference because second, having to constantly cave to the perpetually aggrieved gets fucking old, you know? Regardless of the reason.

I'm not saying that game devs should be fighting this fight, far from it. Like Comedy Central, I understand WHY they're doing what they're doing. But like BloodMuffin down there, no, I DON'T think the ... the media? Comedians? Videocasters? I guess _people_ ... Anyway I do'nt think they should be telling devs "Bad! Wrong!" while nary a mention goes by that this is an absolutely ridiculous response to an extremely minor thing.

Also, yes, I understand that there are many Japanese games that use western Christian imagery on purpose, but come on man, a lot of Japanese game devs toss around "angel" or "god" like it's got zero meaning, because to them, it has none :P They're not trying to make some point about Christianity, they're just ripping off the imagery. Nobody demands the games not be sold.

apollyonbob on
    @GrahamS I realize I'm past the expiration date on this thread already, but in retrospect my offhanded comment about Canada was a little too assholish. The problem of which I accused literally the whole country is, I personally believe, a real one, but it was unfair to make both a sweeping generalization and act as though the problem applies only to Canada. So for that, I apologize.

Anyway I still stand behind my general point. I don't think the devs should be blamed first. The more I think about it, I don't think they should be blamed at all. But definitely not first.

• WiddershinsWiddershins Registered User new member
    edited November 2012
    I cannot tell you how much I love Graham's closing line. The delivery was absolutely fantastic.

Widdershins on
  • thenameless685thenameless685 Registered User regular
    as a nintendo loving person i only have to say W/E...anyway in ur face microsoft wit ur stupid glass

• jplayer01jplayer01 Registered User regular
    It seems like publishers have wisened up and are trying to avoid releasing GOTY versions with all previous DLC. Sad days ahead. :(

• OldSchoolChickenOldSchoolChicken Registered User regular
    Haha at the last bit... Disney probably will ignore DotT, The Dig and Grim Fandango. But maybe there is a 1:1000 shot at a DotT movie!?

• SantaPrimeSantaPrime Registered User regular
    How about companies never give into the winning of any religious organization for any reason. They sure haven't earned the respect they seem to think they deserve. And if situations where reversed they would threaten you with violence for suggesting that any of their religious iconography might be offensive to someone.

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Or - by way of alternative - we could all try to understand that people have symbols which are very dear to them, and that while they may not always (or even frequently) respond appropriately to misuse of those symbols, their inappropriate actions don't make vitriol and insults a useful or appropriate response.

And like Graham said - a symbol used in art for a purpose, art to communicate a point, that's one thing. A symbol that is used in a lazy and apathetic fashion is entirely different.

The Good Doctor Tran on
    LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    Telltale should have bought all of Lucasarts titles before Disney had a chance to buy Lucasfilms.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Does anybody have a screencap of the inserted frame near the end of the video? Alas, as I have never played Starcraft, my mouse clicking finger just isn't fast enough to pause at the right time...

• ima420rima420r Registered User new member
    I still don't understand what was so good about DotT... The original MM was so much better.