As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fantastic four cartoon

jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Graphic Violence
Hey guys just thought I'd drop this into the shark tank
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=82241
looks alright , don't know about the costumes though.
I have the old f4 series on dvd, so i hope this one is worth my time.

1fdd6q1.jpg
jarednielson on

• Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I like Doc Dooms kitty cat claws. They make him look so menacing.

Im not digging the anime style look. Just not my thang.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I do not really see much of the typical "anime" stylings. I think it is actually French anyways... It looks ok I guess. However, Ultimate Avengers looked ok and we all know how that turned out.

DouglasDanger on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Well it can hardly be any worse than the old cartoon.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006

Yeah, exactly. Hopefully this one won't have Johnny Storm singing at all.

All I can say is at least it doesn't have soft-cell shading. It always looks horrible.

Ed: The best possible Fantastic Four cartoon would be an Ultimate Fantastic Four cartoon in the style of Stuart Immonen.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited August 2006

Season 1 was good in a crappy, cheesy kind of way, while season 2 was good in a good, goody kind of way.

Bad Karma on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2006
    I do not really see much of the typical "anime" stylings.

So that's why you hate everything. Because you can't see shit.

Garlic Bread on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I have yet to see an animated Marvel that didn't look like shit. This looks a bit better.

august on
    edited August 2006
    FFanipromo.jpg

I just dont see any of the cliche anime stylings. I do not see giant eyes and thimbles for noses, although their noses are kind of tiny I guess. I do not see "face faults" or characters spazzing way the hell out, or distorted body anatomy such as overly large heads and extremities. Ben is the only character who exhibits an exaggerated anatomy. It does not look anymore anime than Ultimate Avengers, at least to me.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2006
    I agree with Doug.

EDIT: My only thing is that I can't handle Reed being young and hip. He should always be like 40.

august on
    edited August 2006
    If anything, it looks kind of generic European or something.

DouglasDanger on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2006
    The designs are Cowboy Bebop-style anime, with new school action anime coloring.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2006
    But he doesn't look young and hip. He has grey temples. That means he's old. Real old.

Bad Karma on
    edited August 2006
    Iguess I can see some Cowboy Bebop in their facial structure, if I look long enough. When I think generic anime stylings, I think of things like Naruto, dbz and so on, not something like CB. Really though, a lot of the cliches are only seen in animation, not promo art. Things like people's face going nuts, or red noses for arousal are really not seen until you see the actual show in motion.

DouglasDanger on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

"Mr. Fantastic! Invisible Woman! The Thing and....HERBIE THE ROBOT!"

fantastic4.jpg

delphinus on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The art actually vaguely reminds me of Pasqual Ferry's work, which isn't a bad thing at all. But from what little I watched of Code Lyoko, it was so, so bad, and that makes me nervous.

Munch on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    or distorted body anatomy such as overly large heads and extremities.

SOMEONE doesn't read much F4 ;)

The Muffin Man on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I can see the comparison to anime, but it looks like they actually tried to make the style a little unique too.

Even though Avatar is a good show, the art style is the prime example of generic anime. This is much less so.

BiggNife on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    BiggNife wrote:
    I can see the comparison to anime, but it looks like they actually tried to make the style a little unique too.

Even though Avatar is a good show, the art style is the prime example of generic anime. This is much less so.

Cool, I'm not the only one that digs Avatar. Yay me.

And I like this cartoon's style. Does remind me of anime..but not overly so.

Kyougu on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    delphinus wrote:

fantastic4.jpg

Now THAT was a cartoon.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Where was johnny, I'd guess a bender.
    A really long bender.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Johnny was in time out because they were afraid kids would set themselves on fire.

Thing must be really emo if he just let them spraypaint a 4 on his chest.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Johnny was in time out because they were afraid kids would set themselves on fire.
    I thought no one cared about shit back in the day. "You want to go sledding down a busy street? Put on your warm cloths and bring your brother."

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    delphinus wrote:

fantastic4.jpg[img][/img]

Now THAT was a cartoon.
    Everyone in that picture looks totally pissed, except Herbie, who just looks happy to be included.

As for this new show, I have no problem with it aside from Doom. Claws? Doom doesn't need claws. He better be written smart too, not "i know i will blow up new york lol".

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    As for this new show, I have no problem with it aside from Doom. Claws? Doom doesn't need claws. He better be written smart too, not "i know i will blow up new york lol".

They're more like shiny nails then claws. Not crazy about them myself. Doom's not really supposed to get physical and scratch people. He has hordes of robots for that.

From the episode previews, it sounds like he's hellbent on destroying the FF, particularly Reed, and doesn't care who gets in the way. I think he MAY blow up New York, but only incidentally, because Reed happened to be there and Doom wanted to be thorough.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited August 2006
    Golden Yak wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:

They're more like shiny nails then claws. Not crazy about them myself. Doom's not really supposed to get physical and scratch people. He has hordes of robots for that.

From the episode previews, it sounds like he's hellbent on destroying the FF, particularly Reed, and doesn't care who gets in the way. I think he MAY blow up New York, but only incidentally, because Reed happened to be there and Doom wanted to be thorough.

Sounds like Doom to me.

The Muffin Man on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    The designs are Cowboy Bebop-style anime, with new school action anime coloring.

Right, it certainly doesn't look like "American cartoons" as in G.I. Joe.

Does Ben have a 4symbol spray paintedon his chest in that picture? He does, I know, but my brain can't really accept it.

Accualt on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I don't see why we even need to make a distinction between American animation and Japanese animation. Animation is animation, and it's not as though EVERY cartoon in Japan looks the same and EVERY cartoon made by Americans looks the same, so stating the country of origin doesn't say much at all.

robosagogo on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited August 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    I don't see why we even need to make a distinction between American animation and Japanese animation. Animation is animation, and it's not as though EVERY cartoon in Japan looks the same and EVERY cartoon made by Americans looks the same, so stating the country of origin doesn't say much at all.

But if we don't then how on earth will we be able to be prejudice?

Grifter on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    grifter81 wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

But if we don't then how on earth will we be able to be prejudice?

How is it prejudice? Seriously, American animation tends to have one kind of style just like American cheese. It is just a name given to it. Then you look at Japanimation and it tends to have its own style. It is no different than Native American pottery and Greek pottery looking different.

I'll grant that more recent Japanese animation has expanded into different styles but most of us could probably still spot which shows are Japanese and which are American...not as easily since Korean animation seemingly adopts all styles and almost nothing is animated in the states anymore.

Accualt on
    edited August 2006
    Who cares though? As long as the designs are solid and the animation is good, does it really even matter?

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    I'll grant that more recent Japanese animation has expanded into different styles but most of us could probably still spot which shows are Japanese and which are American...not as easily since Korean animation seemingly adopts all styles and almost nothing is animated in the states anymore.

It dosen't really matter that stuff is animated in Korea, it matters who dictates the character designs. I mean, The Tick was animated in Korea, and Batman TAS was at least partialy animated in Japan.

august on
    edited August 2006
    I wonder what Namor is gonna look like.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006

vegeta3.jpg

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited August 2006

vegeta3.jpg
    Change the giant gay anime hair with his slick black give him spock ears and I actually see that working.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
    edited August 2006
    THAT WAS INCREDIBLY CLEVER SHOE.

CAPS IS IN NO WAY MEANT TO DENOTE SARCASM.

The Muffin Man on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    How is it prejudice? Seriously, American animation tends to have one kind of style just like American cheese. It is just a name given to it. Then you look at Japanimation and it tends to have its own style.
    Eh... I think Japanimation is a lot more monolithic than American animation, which is all over the place. I can see the similarity between Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon and Speed Racer a lot more clearly than I can between Dexter's Laboratory, GI Joe, Batman: TAS and the '90s X-Men cartoon. I don't really see that much anime in those FF pics, though; maybe a little, but not any more than I see in a lot of American comics. Hard to say without seeing the animation at work.

Orogogus on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006

Nope. That's not true. It was because there was a Human Torch movie in the works at the time the cartoon came out, though the movie was never finished.

Spectre-x on
    edited August 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

Nope. That's not true. It was because there was a Human Torch movie in the works at the time the cartoon came out, though the movie was never finished.

yeah, I know. I was hoping someone would come and mention that, but the first story is much more entertaining, I feel.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    It has more truthiness?

Scooter on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    Orogogus wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    How is it prejudice? Seriously, American animation tends to have one kind of style just like American cheese. It is just a name given to it. Then you look at Japanimation and it tends to have its own style.
    Eh... I think Japanimation is a lot more monolithic than American animation, which is all over the place. I can see the similarity between Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon and Speed Racer a lot more clearly than I can between Dexter's Laboratory, GI Joe, Batman: TAS and the '90s X-Men cartoon. I don't really see that much anime in those FF pics, though; maybe a little, but not any more than I see in a lot of American comics. Hard to say without seeing the animation at work.

See, this is where I find a huge problem with your argument. You're going to compare Cowboy Bebop with Pokemon and call them similar and then compare Dexter's Laboratory with X-men and say that they're different? I find a huge gaping hole in this scenario. I guess it's just a personal opinion in the end but I'd rather think that you made my argument for me.

Grifter on