As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I got to play around with a mini today, and it's pretty great. It took the one complaint I had about a normal sized tablet, the size (I don't like feeling like I'm holding monitor), and the one complaint I had with the smaller tablets like the Galaxy Note (felt like a slightly bigger phone) and found a happy middle ground. It's small enough to hold comfortably, but big enough that the screen is still a good size for basicaly everything.

Though the store we went to didn't have any 32gb cellular models, only 16gb wifi. According to the 'salesman', it's a deliberate ploy by Apple, only giving them the 16gb wifi models now so in a month when they actually send out the 32gb/64gb cellular models people will buy them again.

...What?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a bunch of hooey. If people are buying 16gb systems now because they can't get the 32/64gb version then either they aren't going to bother coming back in to get the next version or they're going to return it for cash towards the new one. I reckon that either the store didn't order them for stock, the stock they did get was already allocated to preorders, or there are supply problems with the higher capacity cellular models. I consider it highly unlikely that apple would deliberately pursue a loss making sales 'tactic' like that.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It's total bull. The Best Buy near me has 32gb models. And no one (not even Apple) has the cellular models until mid-November.

Apple doesn't artificially constrain products, they're just constrained because they sell them as fast as they can make them.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Actually, the first clue the sales guy was lying should have been obvious; his mouth was probably moving, yes?
    I no longer listen to what the guy in the shop says because experience tells me they either have no real idea or they just don't care and either way are making it up on the spot. Like, remember when the iPad 2 came out and one of its biggest upgrades was the dual-core processor and the GPU, and that was pretty prominent in Apple's marketing? One of the sales drones in the non-Apple tablet section of my local PC world try to, sell me on something because "the new iPad doesn't {have a dual core CPU}" so I just walked away. Didn't help that even with the multiple cores and many gigs of ram the thing he was selling was still lagging on home screen transitions….

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    This is true. Just a couple weeks ago a Verizon sales drone actually tried to convince my brother to get an Android phone instead of an iPhone "because Apple made it so you can't use Gmail anymore in iOS 6."

So the gmail app and the IMAP integration in Mail are imaginary then?
    How the hell have I been getting new chapter notifications then?

P.S. Am I the only one that wishes the gmail app supported multiple accounts?

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    So, I'm upgrading to the new ipad from my old ipad 2. I primarily use it when sitting up in bed, watching TV. Anyone have any recommendations for good lap stands?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

eh

I don't use the gmail app, the Mail app works just fine with me, and you can have as many accounts on that as you want, with GMail being one of the easiest to set up.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Also imaginary: Google's implementation of Exchange so that iOS devices get great "push" support for mail, contacts and calendars.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So Im finally both allowed to and can afford to upgrade from my iphone 3G. I'm looking at going for the 5 (why not?), but Id like to get a case and this is where I need some advice. Protection is far more important than style to me, so something along those lines is ideal

• WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    So Im finally both allowed to and can afford to upgrade from my iphone 3G. I'm looking at going for the 5 (why not?), but Id like to get a case and this is where I need some advice. Protection is far more important than style to me, so something along those lines is ideal

http://www.otterbox.com/

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    I just got a fourth gen ipad, what case should I get for it? I'm open to pretty much any style of case.

Also, is anyone making cases for fourth gen ipads specifically, or am i going to have to deal with an opening that is too large on the bottom of anything that isn't a sleeve or pouch?

• smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    re: the Mini.

LTE versions aren't available anywhere yet, apple said as much during their press conference when the debuted the thing.

I also played around with one for a minute at the apple store this weekend and liked it but without a retina screen I can't see getting one any time soon. My wife, who uses her iPad3gen all the time really liked the formfactor and I can see getting her the mini in a few years after the 3gen isn't being supported any more.

• WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Evander wrote: »
    I just got a fourth gen ipad, what case should I get for it? I'm open to pretty much any style of case.

Also, is anyone making cases for fourth gen ipads specifically, or am i going to have to deal with an opening that is too large on the bottom of anything that isn't a sleeve or pouch?

I've used a speck ( www.speckproducts.com ) smartshell case on my ipad2 for a while now. I'm sure they'll be updating with a 4 quickly as they already have a mini case ready to go. It's quite thin but protects from the inevitable scratches and corner bumps.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    smokmnky wrote: »
    I also played around with one for a minute at the apple store this weekend and liked it but without a retina screen I can't see getting one any time soon.

I was worried about that, but I have terrible vision (astigmatism kind of ruins your eyesight). Even with corrective glasses, it's not perfect. I really didn't see any difference between my iPhone 4S and the Mini screen.

-Loki- wrote: »
    I also played around with one for a minute at the apple store this weekend and liked it but without a retina screen I can't see getting one any time soon.

I was worried about that, but I have terrible vision (astigmatism kind of ruins your eyesight). Even with corrective glasses, it's not perfect. I really didn't see any difference between my iPhone 4S and the Mini screen.

For some people I guess they really can't tell the difference but I personally can. Text for instance looks so "blurry" to me on a non-retina device. I will say though, a retina iPad mini is going to be a killer device

• ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    I recently changed from Android and thus far, I enjoy the iOS experience but there are a few quirks.

For those of you still looking for an iPhone5, Apple store's restock at ~10p (in SF, CA) and so I ordered online at 10p and there was an option to pick up in-store. Previously, I had called several Verizon/Apple stores to get one, but Verizon insisted it was impossible to obtain one until late November. Pfft, what do they know?

I also knew nothing of iphone cases, and have spent $10 on a lime green khomo case, it's nice enough I guess, but I see otterbox recommendations and I worry that they are too enormous for my pocket.

iOS maps has been pretty great until recently. I was curious to see how it would route me from Oakland to San Mateo, it put me on the MacArthur onramp, but that's past the necessary 580/80 merge. To merge that, I'd have to drive through two concrete dividers and float a little. The Google Maps bookmark is fine for looking at traffic and all that, but iOS maps feels nicer for voice navigation than Android's Google Maps. I miss that Android would tell me how long it'd take me to get there and the estimates were decent.

I don't like that sync'ing contacts through Google makes so I can't use custom labels, a nitpicky thing. Siri is pretty amazing, superior to most of Android's voice controls. Battery life is superior to my older nexus s.

The wifi with my home network isn't great though. the iPhone5 apparently has connectivity issues with wpa2 and even after I updated to iOS 6.0.1, I still have really slow internet at home. However at friends' and work wifi, also with WPA2, no issues. Switching the home network to WPA allows it to work at the right speed, but it feels crappy to have to change my network's security settings.

Something that's bugged me with my iPhone 4S is whenever I turn cellular on, I have to switch Airport mode on and off to make it remember why yes, it can connect to 3G. It's done this ever since I got it. Is this a common issue with the 4S?

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Arminas wrote: »
    I also knew nothing of iphone cases, and have spent $10 on a lime green khomo case, it's nice enough I guess, but I see otterbox recommendations and I worry that they are too enormous for my pocket.

For cases I always recommend the Speck Candyshell line.

iphone-5_candyshell_carousel2.jpg

Not quite the bulk of the otterboxes but a nice hard plastic shell with a great shock-obsorbing interior.

The FabShells are nice as well, but don't offer quite as much shock absorption. I currently use the ColorBar Arctic color.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    I'll second the Speck recommendation. I've used both the Candyshells and the Fabshells and they're both great. Currently rocking a matte black Candyshell (when I'm not using my battery case) on my 4S.

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Something that's bugged me with my iPhone 4S is whenever I turn cellular on, I have to switch Airport mode on and off to make it remember why yes, it can connect to 3G. It's done this ever since I got it. Is this a common issue with the 4S?

My theory is that, once cellular signal is lost, it only checks periodically for signal. Doing this definitely preserves the battery. Constantly looking for signal drains the battery very quickly. I've noticed this when I go hiking. My old phone would drain 2/3 of the battery during a typical trip, because it would be looking for signal the entire time. My iPhone only loses maybe 5% during a typical trip.

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    i really like the smart cover concept, but i need better coverage, and the colors available for the smart cases all look a little too subdued for me. I've seen some rear shells that work with smart covers in tandem, is there a consensus on which of those is the best?

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Incipio's covers seem to be highly recommended.

You could also look into the BOOKback made by DODOcase, which is essentially a very thin adhesive cover for the back of the device. Think of it as a screen protector for the back. The material is very pleasant to the touch, but it has a slightly rougher quality to it that provides for sturdier grip. If you decide to go this route PM me as I have 10% off code from my recent iPhone 5 BOOKback order.

steam_sig.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I have a Mophie cover for my iPhone (4S) myself. It's hard to beat a protective cover that double's my phone's battery life.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Except for the fact that now your phone has Dat Ass.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Mophie when I went travelling or to conventions or whatever, but I'd never recommend it for daily use if weight is a concern at all.

On a similar note, has anyone here tried the Speck Card case for iPhone 5? It looks alright in reviews and such, but I love the low profile of my 5 and I dunno if I want to sacrifice that to fit some cards in there if there's a huge difference in size/weight. Also I hear the cards can be hard to get out? I have my reservations.

i really like the smart cover concept, but i need better coverage, and the colors available for the smart cases all look a little too subdued for me. I've seen some rear shells that work with smart covers in tandem, is there a consensus on which of those is the best?

I got this case for my wife and the black one for me. They are totally awesome and work perfectly with the smart cover

I got this case for my wife and the black one for me. They are totally awesome and work perfectly with the smart cover

Those are really nice. Incase makes one much like it, but it also includes a magnet on the back, so the Smart Cover locks in place better when you fold it around back. I think it's about $10 more than the Incipio one. It's got a nice matte finish feel to it, too.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Anyone know a good stylus for the iPad that's not to bulky?
    Also, the best note taking app?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Upgrading to a 64GB iPhone 5 as soon as it gets to my local AT&T store. This will be my first iOS device since a 1st Gen iPod touch.

I don't take a lot of notes on my iPad but I hear Notesy is pretty good, I know my wife likes it for marking up PDFs and stuff. It has drawing support and other things

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

What are you looking to do with the stylus? Digital brush/sketches? The Verge had a great review of half a dozen or so.

I've got a Cosmonaut stylus from Studio Neat, and it's been good. Bulky, but better suited (in my opinion) to an iPad screen than a smaller pen-like stylus.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    The bamboo stylus is probably the best you're going to find. Light, well-balanced, and a tip that is narrower than any other I've found.

But something might have changed in the past few months since I got mine.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    There are several newer pressure-sensitive stylii these days that look pretty fancy. One uses some crazy sonic frequency to determine sensitivity, but I think the others are using low-powered Bluetooth.

• Reis2Reis2 Registered User regular
    I played with the iPad mini a few times this weekend--as soon as that baby gets a retina display, I'm in for two. Do we know the reasons they didn't go with retina this time around? Cost?

世界は美しくなんかない。それ故に、美しい。
    Brawl.png
    edited November 2012
    Reis2 wrote: »
    I played with the iPad mini a few times this weekend--as soon as that baby gets a retina display, I'm in for two. Do we know the reasons they didn't go with retina this time around? Cost?

Power, GPU speed, size, price, weight...take your pick

edit: I think Marco nails it pretty perfectly in this post - http://www.marco.org/2012/11/12/ipad-mini-cost-of-retina

smokmnky on
    And of course, it will go retina at some point. I can wait until then. My Kindle Fire (1st gen) serves as my handheld book reader perfectly well for now, and while I'd love to replace it with another iPad, I can't justify it until there's a more substantial leap.

That said, the mini looks like a great device on its own, and if I didn't already own a Kindle Fire and a 3rd Gen iPad, I'd absolutely buy one.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I mean, I go from my iPhone 5 (previously 4) to an iPad 2 constantly, and never even really notice the lack of Retina. Now, if I compare my iPhone with my old iTouch? Immediately noticeable.

But on the larger screen, it just doesn't jump out at me. Guess I'm lucky to not have upgraded to a Retina iPad in this instance. :P

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

edit: I think Marco nails it pretty perfectly in this post - http://www.marco.org/2012/11/12/ipad-mini-cost-of-retina

I would have said it was probably due to the battery size needed to power the thing for long period of times.

There is also the fact that all non hd iPad apps (everything for iPad 1/2) will run natively on it so it doesn't "split" the ecosystem.

Blake T on
    And of course, it will go retina at some point. I can wait until then. My Kindle Fire (1st gen) serves as my handheld book reader perfectly well for now, and while I'd love to replace it with another iPad, I can't justify it until there's a more substantial leap.

That said, the mini looks like a great device on its own, and if I didn't already own a Kindle Fire and a 3rd Gen iPad, I'd absolutely buy one.

Oh I completely agree with you. It's an awesome form factor and I was jealous of the Nexus 7 but I personally don't like android so I was not going to pick that up. Once it goes Retina (next year?) it will be my next iPad once the Gen3 model is no longer updatable and such.

edited November 2012
    Blake T wrote: »

I would have said it was probably due to the battery size needed to power the thing for long period of times.

There is also the fact that all non hd iPad apps (everything for iPad 1/2) will run natively on it so it doesn't "split" the ecosystem.

Another interesting point I've read is even more demanding games, most likely optimised for the iPad 3's and 4's, run okay on it. Would that likely be due to not needing to run them at such a high resolution for the lower res screen, thus not being impacted as much by the lower end CPU?

-Loki- on