As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mana Bar

YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications ManagerAustraliaRegistered User regular
There have been a lot of people mentioning it, so I figured giving it a thread of it's own would be nice, and it's fairly appropriate that I be the one to start it :)

For those that don't know the Mana Bar:
http://melbourne.manabar.com.au

First off, any questions you have (for those that haven't been there), post them here and I'll respond.

Secondly, any suggestions you have for what you think the Mana Bar should do pre, post, and during PAX post them here as well.

For our international travellers, keep in mind the legal drinking age in Australia is 18. Your welcome :)

I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
paxaus_sig.gif
Facebook.com/PAXAus
Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hey Yug

The Mana Bar is mighty small for the ravening hoardes of PAX, could i suggest temporary, or temporarily expanded digs?

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It's DAMN small - capacity is only 50 people ... and it will be a case of first in bessed dressed, though we do have contingencies in place for when the lines get too long (ticketing system that lets people in for an hour at a time).

The trouble (liquor licence, tech setup, etc) required to temperorarily setup somewhere else kinda defeats the purpose of having everything already setup at the Bar itself :)

paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    Yug wrote: »
    The trouble (liquor licence, tech setup, etc) required to temperorarily setup somewhere else kinda defeats the purpose of having everything already setup at the Bar itself :)

Yeah no doubt, i used to have a Liquor License in my name, and my family have owned pubs for about 40 years. Temporary licenses are a b*&h. Though i always found the toilet facilities to be the biggest problem, dont know what it was like in VIC, but in the ACT your max occupancy actually has more to do with the toiletry facilities than it does with floor space.

I wasn't sure if you'd run the numbers on a temp venue. should have figured that you would have. I'll be at the bar at some point over the weekend, if i see you there ill stand you a pint, for (helping to) organising all of this.

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking I shall have to pay a visit Tuesday Night then. Before the influx of gamers which I would assume would get bad around the Thursday mark (if not on the Wednesday).

• Options
    philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
    Suggestion: Omeganauts drink free!

Second, more reasonable suggestion: Omeganaut cocktail added to menu.

Love Pokemon? Coming to PAX Aus? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!
  • Options
    ^ +1 to this. Its should have a little bit of everything in it :)

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what they're talking about, but it sounds awesome

• Options
    Utopia137Utopia137 Registered User regular
    What days is Mana Bar open? Will prob be in Melbourne a few days earlier then PAX starts and with such small capacity will try to hit it during and earlier night im sure there will be plenty of PAX people all week long going.

• Options
    Danacyrus wrote: »

The Omeganauts are the guys who play in the omegathon which is the collection and competition of old school gaming that PA put on for the PAX events. The idea of the omegathon is that it has a little bit of all styles of gaming.

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Which leads to a question... are enforcers excluded from being Omeganauts?

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Only those who purchase badges for the entirety of PAX are considered for the Omegathon.

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    zerochosen wrote: »
    Which leads to a question... are enforcers excluded from being Omeganauts?
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Only those who purchase badges for the entirety of PAX are considered for the Omegathon.

To add to zerzhul's statement and to clarify zerochosen's question: No, Enforcers are not excluded from the Omegathon. However, Enforcers must have already purchased attendee badges for the entirety of PAX (as zerzhul mentioned) and then on the luck of the draw, be chosen as an Omeganaut. It's actually damn hard to get chosen, but well worth it IMHO. In the event (and there has been instances of this), that an Enforcer gets chosen for the Omegathon, in most cases, the Enforcer has had to either work out an appropriate work schedule or not work at all due to Omegathon events happening pretty much the entire convention.

So the short answer is, No, Enforcers are not excluded, it's just hard to Enforce if you're chosen.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    Perfect, that's what I was hoping. A bit of a champagne problem if you have to choose between the two :)

• Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    That said we have had Enforcers be chosen as Omeganauts before, they stepped down to Omeganaut, but then once eliminated took up Enforcing and spareboarded the rest of PAX. But like @Vapok said, it's rare and awesome, but will hamper your Enforcing efforts.

• Options
    DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    There have been a lot of people mentioning it, so I figured giving it a thread of it's own would be nice, and it's fairly appropriate that I be the one to start it :)

For those that don't know the Mana Bar:
    http://melbourne.manabar.com.au

First off, any questions you have (for those that haven't been there), post them here and I'll respond.

Secondly, any suggestions you have for what you think the Mana Bar should do pre, post, and during PAX post them here as well.

For our international travellers, keep in mind the legal drinking age in Australia is 18. Your welcome :)

Damn Yug! This place is AWESOME!!

Perth is next on your expansion list right?
    Right?

• Options
    PsykarPsykar Programmer Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Amusingly despite living in Melbourne I've never actually been there yet. Should perhaps visit before it does get crazy busy :P

In other news
    Your welcome :)
    *twitches*

• Options
    fieldafarfieldafar Registered User regular
    Psykar wrote: »
    Amusingly despite living in Melbourne I've never actually been there yet. Should perhaps visit before it does get crazy busy :P

Me neither, I keep forgetting where it actually is.
    Hopefully I'll be able to visit sometime in the future.

PAX AUS 2013!
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    I think I mentioned this in another thread but is there any chance of you guys setting up a licensed pavilion or area at the exhibition centre during PAX?

steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    Danacyrus wrote: »

you don't know what the omeganauts are? they're randomly selected attendees who are put through a gaming olympics.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    I think I mentioned this in another thread but is there any chance of you guys setting up a licensed pavilion or area at the exhibition centre during PAX?

I doubt it at this point to be honest.

paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    how many people is mana bar licensed for?

• Options

paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular

Damn, that sucks. Is the exhibition centre really anal about licensing or are there just too many local booze restrictions?

steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    CamaranCamaran Catamaran MelbourneRegistered User regular

Damn, that sucks. Is the exhibition centre really anal about licensing or are there just too many local booze restrictions?
    Both.

• Options
    gwdgafgwdgaf Registered User new member
    shiiiiiiiiit

• Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    there's already a PPP being spearheaded.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    PaniquePanique PerthRegistered User new member
    Moved away from Brisbane a couple of years ago, used to visit that Mana Bar regularly. Looking forward to checking out what Melbourne has to offer!

http://youtube.com/superpaniland
    Subscribe for regular gaming news, reviews & discussions!
  • Options
    RiketzRiketz Registered User regular
    Speaking from experience the manabar is extremely small and a bit of a pain to get to, they only have 4 games up on monitors and those take up a majority of the room. I am considering making an awesome bar hopping group, would anyone be keen for this??

• Options
    JapandamanJapandaman Registered User regular
    FatSoDa wrote: »
    ^ +1 to this. Its should have a little bit of everything in it :)

+1? You a Google+ user? :)

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Google did not invent "+1" :P

Though I can imagine them claiming ownership once they go evil.

• Options
    JapandamanJapandaman Registered User regular
    Kaneski wrote: »
    Google did not invent "+1" :P

Though I can imagine them claiming ownership once they go evil.
    Lol, I didn't mean they invented it but lately that's the only place I've been seeing it :)

• Options
    DrJonesJnrDrJonesJnr Badass of Badassitude Perth, WARegistered User new member
    Cheers Yug, my wife and I have been fans of the Mana Bar since we stumbled across when on holiday just prior to the Brissie floods. We've travelled there many times sicne from Cairns and now Perth - looking forward to checking out the Melbs one too!! Might be a little packed, but will make an effort to drop by at least once!!
    Now... about the Perth Mana Bar... =p

"This aint no ice cream social"

Will R.
    Perth, WA
  • Options
    DrJonesJnr wrote: »
    Now... about the Perth Mana Bar... =p

Wollongong first :)

• Options
    VotucuVotucu Registered User regular
    Also for our international visitors, you will need to have your passport with you for age verification. Australian law (to my memory; I'm open to being corrected here) doesn't allow us to accept international drivers license or similar.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Votucu wrote: »
    Also for our international visitors, you will need to have your passport with you for age verification. Australian law (to my memory; I'm open to being corrected here) doesn't allow us to accept international drivers license or similar.

It depends on the state and or liquor license that the premises holds. A tavern has a different license to public house, has a different license to a hotel etc. From memory when i had mine, the discretion of proof lay on the owner. i.e it was up to the owner to decide what constituted acceptable proof. It could be different in Victoria.

FatSoDa on
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    KrorKror Registered User regular
    ID that is acceptable by law in Victoria are:

Victorian Learner's Permit
    Australian Driver's License
    Local or International Passport with Photo and Date of Birth
    Keypass Card
    Proof of Age Card

The last two are special cards that are pretty much used JUST to prove ID, and are really a pain to get. In 5 years, I think I've seen... maybe one or two of them?

For international visitors, the Passport is the way to go. Just make sure that it has Photo and D.O.B. in it (I would've thought that all passports would have this... but it's a listed requirement, so maybe some countries dont?)

Of course the other thing to note for any interstate Australians... Your Learner Permits aren't acceptable. You need a Driver's License (Probationary is OK), or one of the others listed.

This information brought to you from someone who just renewed his Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate.