As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trenches] Tuesday, October 30th

TubeTube Registered User admin
i-2LRvWx3.jpg

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Toots Rocket Hat is awesome.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I like the fez. Also, I just realized that their in game avatars represent aspects of their personalities too. Isaac thinks he is the star of the place, hence the star. Cora thinks she is some sort of fair arbiter, hence she is that judge character. Not sure about the other two.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I like the fez.
    It's missing the shades :cry:

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Cora thinks she is some sort of fair arbiter, hence she is that judge character.

I dunno about judge. To me her outfit looks like some sort of safari/game warden getup.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    oh boy, more strips that don't push the story forward!
    :(

edit - based on her usual hat she always looks like some sort of Space Forest Ranger

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    CubeWatermelonCubeWatermelon Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Cora thinks she is some sort of fair arbiter, hence she is that judge character.

I dunno about judge. To me her outfit looks like some sort of safari/game warden getup.

He/she's referring to Judge McBride from Bravestarr, the inspiration for Lawstar.
    As for why HER outfit looks like that, one can only guess.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have no idea why are they talking about combinations and stuff.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular

Thats what i was thinking, i feel like i missed the strip(s) that resolved the previous issue...
    maybe im crazy

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Because combinatorial explosions are a common issue in testing. Depending on how many hats and buckles are available, the work required to test all possible combinations is likely prohibitively expensive.

There are ten hat slots, let's take the simplest case and assume there's only ten hats available, and they can't be doubled. Each hat is then either on or off, so you've got 2^10 or 1024 possible combinations for hats alone. Assuming the same for buckles, you've got 4096 possible buckle combinations. If you want to test all possible hat/buckle combinations, then, you're looking at a little shy of 4.2 million combinations. In the simplest case.

Banging out some quick numbers (because I love discrete math), if we assume hats and buckles both have 20 available options, I'm getting better than 560 billion combinations. 25 each puts it at a hair under 120 trillion.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am completely confused and I apologize for asking this, but did I miss strips before this? How did we get from posting horrible gifs of people and a large player protest of the rollback to whatever is supposed to be happening in this comic?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Mr. Roper just thought the server wipe had happened because he overheard a dev talking about wiping the server-side cache of a different system. Turns out it was all a Hilarious misunderstanding.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    The last line of the last strip asks what exactly going free-to-play means. Cue: Hats. Apparently, Lawstarr can't get by on selling folks only one hat at a time.

• Options
    WraithfighterWraithfighter Registered User regular
    ...yes, because, as everyone knows, hats are the entirety of the revenue generating mechanisms of Free 2 Play...

Ugh. To anyone with any familiarity of Free 2 Play beyond Team Fortress 2? This is just a stupid analogy to make, showing that the writers of this have about as much info on F2P as, well, the idiot boss.

What would be a good strip? The developers nickel and diming for every single possible feature. That's the evil way of doing F2P...

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't think hats are the only source of revenue for Lawstar. They're just the first of many ways to nickel and dime the consumer. Before calling the writers stupid, maybe you should calm down and think about whether anything in the comic suggests that hats are the only source of revenue.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    ...yes, because, as everyone knows, hats are the entirety of the revenue generating mechanisms of Free 2 Play...

Ugh. To anyone with any familiarity of Free 2 Play beyond Team Fortress 2? This is just a stupid analogy to make, showing that the writers of this have about as much info on F2P as, well, the idiot boss.

What would be a good strip? The developers nickel and diming for every single possible feature. That's the evil way of doing F2P...
    Ragnarok Online
    Maple Story
    Atlantica Online
    ROSE Online
    Second Life
    Vindictus
    Dungeon Fighter Online

I mean, I guess your question still stands. Anyone with any familiarity beyong Team Fortress 2? They weren't the first or only place with hats.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Oh, so they're all gonna start to test the hats because the game went F2P.
    That's what I didn't get before.

I know about testing, I was lost on the event sequence that got them from complete meltdown to hat testing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm wrong here, since only Framling sorta got at this, but isn't this a shot fired by Q at the testing department? You fucked with me, so here are a shitload of hats?

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    New comic isn't up, but the story is, and it's perhaps the best one yet.

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular

In test planning, most bugs appear as a combination of 2 or fewer factors (this is called "pairwise" testing or "all pairs" testing). Issac is talking about an exhaustive test plan which would test all possible combinations which is impossible with manual testing and probably impossible with automated testing.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    New comic isn't up, but the story is, and it's perhaps the best one yet.

According to the Seasons page, the current season was supposed to run through October 2012, so maybe we are in for a break? I guess an announcement of some sort would have been nice.

Also, that story is easily the best they've had.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Or maybe you're way overreacting. IF hats are the majority of Lawstar's F2P ambitions (this has not been announced at all), wouldn't it make sense that this is just another example of the development team being laughably out of touch and at the same time overcompensating to make their game seem good? TF2 lets you wear hats? Well Lawstar lets you wear TEN hats, how about that?!

The writers having something stupid happen in the plot does not mean that they themselves, are stupid. It may be a way to SHOW the audience that the characters who made that action are stupid. But no no, work yourself into a frenzy for a reason that makes no sense...

• Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Also, that story is easily the best they've had.

I wish that I could say that I didn't believe this one. However, it is unfortunately something I have encountered before even though I have never been a tester. It's basically something related to shitty jobs that will hire any warm body available.

FYI defecating in such a manner is in fact illegal and they should have filed charges.

• Options
    "LoL hats F2P" is a joke. It doesn't have to actually correspond to the reality of F2P economy. It's a funny joke, just that.

Also, people are wusses. I'd find a way to clean up the shit, if only so I wouldn't have to deal with the smell.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Urban AchieverUrban Achiever Registered User regular
    I think this is less of a F2P joke and more of a 'this is their punishment' strip. Remember how testing a million doors (sans-script) almost drove Isaac insane? Now the testing team has to test all of the permutations of hat-buckle combinations - a number so large that it is analogous to testing purgatory.

I think you're chasing a red herring if you're focusing on the fee-structure of this comic's imaginary F2P game.

• Options
    JoshTheAutomaterJoshTheAutomater Medford, ORRegistered User new member
    @CubeWatermelon

I just want to throw out that your doing a great job with the art. I also have been reading Kiwi Blitz and have been really enjoying it. Great work!

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

He/she's referring to Judge McBride from Bravestarr, the inspiration for Lawstar.
    As for why HER outfit looks like that, one can only guess.

Ahhhhh, got it.

• Options
    Bob_LoblawBob_Loblaw Registered User regular
    I immediately thought of the following song when I read the story for Nov. 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7g3RuoreRc

• Options
    edited November 2012
    So, this today from Gabe:
    We had intended to end season 2 of the Trenches with the current strip. However this ending was not well received by Trenches fans who cited a general lack of closure along with lore contradictions, as well as character and narrative inconsistencies. While we feel that our ending of Trenches season 2 was sufficient, we have decided to release an extended cut consisting of a few more comic strips. These will begin this Thursday and while we do not expect them to satisfy all Trenches fans, they should add value for those that appreciate it.

-Gabe out

Once again, can't help but feel communication with the readers was a little lacking here. There was no clue given that this was supposed to be the conclusion to the season, apart from the rough guideline that Season 2 was supposed to run through October. Even a little "End of Season 2" box in one corner would have helped.

And it was definitely a bit of a rough ending. Kind of abruptly shifting from one time/place/scene to another to the point where some people in these threads didn't even know what was going on and thought they had missed comics in between.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    RaketemenschRaketemensch Registered User regular
    We said the same thing at the end of last season -- PLEASE let us know when it's the end of a season!

The final strip just looks like the project has been abandoned. You have forums here that everyone uses, you have a post that goes with every comic, there are LOTS of ways to let people know that the season is over, please use one.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    So Mass Effect 3.

• Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or does Gabe's post sound like a parody of a press release announcing the Mass Effect 3 extended ending DLC?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The idea of seasons is going to create parallels to TV. That creates an expectation of knowing when the season will end, and then having an actual ending (either resolution of cliffhanger) in it. In the future we can probably just count to 65, but I'd take a lower number of strips if it resolved.This ending felt really rough. It's like they set a fixed number of strips, and just hacked it off regardless of whether or not they got everything cleaned up. And after Gabe's post I'm not hopeful for the patch. It wasn't a "you were right, so we'll fix it", it read it as "you weren't satisfied with what we did so we'll give you something". Maybe his post is a commentary on how players receive changes to MMOs.

My complaints aside, the content quality is high. I'll read what gets posted.

• Options
    Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    agilemania wrote: »
    Is it just me or does Gabe's post sound like a parody of a press release announcing the Mass Effect 3 extended ending DLC?

That's exactly what it is. Well, that's exactly what *I* think it is, anyway..

But yeah, I had no idea the season ended until I saw today's update post.

And like many others, I'm kind of scratching my head at WTF is going on. Is the player uprising over now that its F2P? What was the point of Q's 2-girls-one-goatse photo? Did it affect the plot in any way or was it just showing that he's an immature forum-goer? I did get the Hats/F2P/TF2 joke, but that seems like a filler strip joke, not a season ender.

I dunno. Its still only season 2, I guess. They'll find their stride soon enough, I got faith in the product.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Brew78 wrote: »
    And like many others, I'm kind of scratching my head at WTF is going on. Is the player uprising over now that its F2P? What was the point of Q's 2-girls-one-goatse photo? Did it affect the plot in any way or was it just showing that he's an immature forum-goer? I did get the Hats/F2P/TF2 joke, but that seems like a filler strip joke, not a season ender.

The hats comic feels more like the first comic of Season 3. It's like they skipped the resolution and jumped into the next stage.

• Options
    Urban AchieverUrban Achiever Registered User regular
    I really thought the current comic was a decent ending. There's a lot of reading between the lines, so to speak, but that seems to be the norm for Trenches.

The game is now F2P (due to story arc of S2) and part of 'Lawstar Freedom' is the 10xHats and 12xBuckles slots. This leads to billions of permutations (assuming some ridiculous number of unique Hats and Buckles) that the team now has to test for QA purposes. Given that Isaac nearly went insane testing a million doors... well, draw your own conclusion and that's the purgatory that the heroes now find themselves working in.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Solution...

Test Plan: Call of Duty 34

Done!

• Options
    SinbadEVSinbadEV Registered User regular
    I feel like a prominent "And Thus Concludes Season Two, Trenches will return BLAH" would have assuaged a lot of confusion...

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Are they going to continue updating the stories, then? I really liked this one, and I can certainly relate.

"Before we give you anything, tell us what you'll do with it."
    "I don't know what I can do with it until you give it to me."
    "Then we're not giving it to you!"

Aaaargh.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Should we have a standing offseason thread to replace this one?

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    After two seasons I can safely say I don't think Trenches is particularly good. I just read it out of habit, a habit I'll probably break now it's the end of season 2.

That said, the art is considerably nicer now!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch