As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX AUS 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    FPFr0styFPFr0sty Registered User regular
    Im taking a pot guess the Halls... you know, the guys letting us play demos and what nots, will close at 7pm(updated from6pm); but the BYOC will stay till 12am... (God I need to stack up on V's)

2 questions....

1) With the BYOC what hall are you planning to have it at? (I live in Melbourne, and some halls are bigger, but cooler then the smaller ones)
    1a) Will there be extra cooling/ventilation in the BYOC area.
    2) are we able to bring 2 monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mouses with the one case. (would that be classed as one PC?)

I got a few PCs at home, so having one at PAX for 3 days wont bother me... and im a truck driver, so I have a 2tonn truck to take my gear with me.

----
    and I guess 3... as this is just for general yes no's
    ----
    Who would be doing the BYOC?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Silkyn wrote: »
    Question - what sort of cosplay events does PAX have? I've looked around and I see no sign of them having competitions, I was a little disappointed. Any chance of PAX AUS having some cosplay events?

Traditionally, PAX has not had any specific cosplay events run by PAX. However, some exhibitors and panels have hosted cosplay events. Not sure what this will mean for Aus specifically, but that's been the norm for PAX Prime and PAX East.

• Options
    FPFr0sty wrote: »
    Im taking a pot guess the Halls... you know, the guys letting us play demos and what nots, will close at 7pm(updated from6pm); but the BYOC will stay till 12am... (God I need to stack up on V's)

2 questions....

1) With the BYOC what hall are you planning to have it at? (I live in Melbourne, and some halls are bigger, but cooler then the smaller ones)
    1a) Will there be extra cooling/ventilation in the BYOC area.
    2) are we able to bring 2 monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mouses with the one case. (would that be classed as one PC?)

I got a few PCs at home, so having one at PAX for 3 days wont bother me... and im a truck driver, so I have a 2tonn truck to take my gear with me.

----
    and I guess 3... as this is just for general yes no's
    ----
    Who would be doing the BYOC?

1) Normally I would say that information wouldn't be available until the schedule and maps are released, which for US paxes has happened about a month prior to the show. However, it appears for the first PAX Aus, they're being a little more generous with information since everything is so new. Still though, I wouldn't expect to see that info soon.

1a) I would assume so, but am not certain.

2) That would not qualify as one PC, you would have to purchase two slots to bring more than one monitor (at least if everything stays similar to the USA PAXes). For PAX East and PAX Prime, the largest monitor size allowed is 27" (as of this past PAX Prime).

3) That's not really the type of question that this thread is for... if you want to do a thread about who is doing byoc, please make a new thread :)

• Options
    DavianDavian Registered User new member
    Question - what sort of cosplay events does PAX have? I've looked around and I see no sign of them having competitions, I was a little disappointed. Any chance of PAX AUS having some cosplay events?
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Security & CosPlay Weapons Policy

NEW PAX ATTENDEE COSTUME WEAPON POLICY
    While PAX is mainly intended to facilitate gaming, we recognize that many Attendees will want to dress in awesome costumes. These awesome costumes often come with prop 'weapons,' and the question: "can I bring this to PAX?" Needless to say, real weapons are NOT permitted, but what about props?

Well, there are some informal rules that we've been using to decide this for the last few PAXes. As of now, they have become official, and are as follows:

A COSTUME WEAPON IS NOT PERMITTED AT PAX IF:
    - It fires or can fire any sort of projectile.
    (Yes, even Nerf.)
    - It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)
    - It's sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. (Yes, even if it's not made of metal.)

If you bring something in that's not allowed you will be politely required to leave, stow the offending item in your vehicle/hotel room/etc, and then return. If you have any doubt as to whether your prop weapon falls under these restrictions - it probably does. Err on the side of caution!

i cosplay as ghost recon and Halo ODST but looking at that not much point in cosplaying at pax (for me any way)

• Options
    SasayakiSasayaki Registered User new member
    edited October 2012
    Hey guys,

Super stoked for PAX Aus, already got my ticket, going to have a mad time.

One question I had was regarding the focus of PAX on indie game developers. I know things are mostly video games with Penny Arcade, but what about self-published, Australian, indie authors in genres like sci-fi or fantasy? Is there any way we could get a bit of love too?

I could organise a stack of books to give away (yes print books, words inscribed on the flayed, pulped, processed flesh of trees... think of it like a Kindle that has unlimited battery life and is 100% biodegradable!). Or Smashwords coupons for those who don't want to be tree murderers. Or whatever.

So, books? Or is it all just games?

Sasayaki on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Sasayaki wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Super stoked for PAX Aus, already got my ticket, going to have a mad time.

One question I had was regarding the focus of PAX on indie game developers. I know things are mostly video games with Penny Arcade, but what about self-published, Australian, indie authors in genres like sci-fi or fantasy? Is there any way we could get a bit of love too?

I could organise a stack of books to give away (yes print books, words inscribed on the flayed, pulped, processed flesh of trees... think of it like a Kindle that has unlimited battery life and is 100% biodegradable!). Or Smashwords coupons for those who don't want to be tree murderers. Or whatever.

So, books? Or is it all just games?

I am not *certain* but for USA PAXes, there really hasn't been anything as far as I know for authors. PAX is first and foremost about games of all types, not just video games, but they do try to stick to games. Maybe email info@paxaustralia.com.au to get an official answer?

zerzhul on
  • Options
    SasayakiSasayaki Registered User new member
    Ok, cool, I'll email that address. And thanks for moving the thread into this FAQ! I thought about posting here but it looked a wee bit too official for me to do that. Thanks! :D

• Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    ...I have a vague idea on what goes on at a PAX. I'm inferring quite a bit from Supanova and Armageddon.

But I am loathe to start spending money now, without a guide to possible guests or more detailed events for PAXAus. Would someone like Molly Lewis or Wil Wheaton make it? Felicia Day?

It will probably come down to waiting until these details are confirmed, and then hoping that there are tickets left (price is not really an issue for me.)

In any case, I hate to be one of 'those' people, but who can sell me (and by extension my clique) on locking this in for attendance?

Thanks to anyone who is willing to give it a go. :)

LLN

As someone who knows those other two conventions, I can say that inferring from them outside of "How to get to the venue" will not work. PAX is a very different convention to those. PAX is not about the guests, as @zerzhul said -
    zerzhul wrote: »
    PAX is a place where people can come together to enjoy gaming in all its forms. Yeah, celebrities sometimes show up, and there are exhibitors with interesting stuff, but the crux of PAX is being able to go to an event that celebrates the culture of games.

PAX is about gaming and gaming culture. Yes we have guests and musical guests and a dedicated area for you to meet them called Bandland, but they are not the center of PAX. Buy a ticket, come play games that have not been released, meet the devs behind them, play games and hang out with thousands of friends you never knew you had before, see the many panel discussions from game industry, game journalists and gamers just like you. PAX is many different things to many different people. But it is not like the conventions we have here in Australia right now. If you're a gamer and in Australia, get a ticket to PAXAus.

• Options
    DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    Hmm, Bandland eh? Is there filking in Bandland?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    QQ... (as I may see about changing to the BYOC just to host a massive Minecraft server for funzies both at PAX and at maybe crown or where a group of peeps I get along with are)

As we cant bring our own power strips to the BYOC; what are the wattage limits for each PC we can have?
    In other words, from the hard-plate(the socket) how many of your own strips(power boards) you are going to hook up to each?
    We are 240V with 10amps (so 2400watt's max per power socket)

Balls to it.... anyway we can change our 3 day pass to a BYOC pass?

FPFr0sty on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    No clue about the power section, but for the second I would email info@paxaustralia.com.au

Vapok also put up a BYOC thread over here, but I'm not sure if that will answer your question
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/169038/2013-byoc-information-faq

zerzhul on
  • Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    FPFr0sty wrote: »
    QQ... (as I may see about changing to the BYOC just to host a massive Minecraft server for funzies both at PAX and at maybe crown or where a group of peeps I get along with are)

As we cant bring our own power strips to the BYOC; what are the wattage limits for each PC we can have?
    In other words, from the hard-plate(the socket) how many of your own strips(power boards) you are going to hook up to each?
    We are 240V with 10amps (so 2400watt's max per power socket)

I provided as best of an answer as I can provide currently here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/24715765/#Comment_24715765

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    I don't believe any PAX has ever had a costume competition. I highly doubt PAX Aus will have one, but I can't know for sure.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    BogmireBogmire Registered User regular
    Yo guys, a quick question, how loud is Pax? I have really sensitive hearing and don't really wanna miss this because of it! As a side note: Is bandland really, really loud?

• Options
    Bogmire wrote: »
    Yo guys, a quick question, how loud is Pax? I have really sensitive hearing and don't really wanna miss this because of it! As a side note: Is bandland really, really loud?

That's a toughie... At the Washington State Convention Center (Prime) there are a lot of small rooms that separate PAX pretty well, that make most areas generally easy on the ears. The Expo Hall is generally very loud with various booths and their loud systems going off at the same time.

At the Boston Convention Center, the whole thing is one major airplane hanger and everything echos. There's a few separated rooms that are quiet, but pretty loud all over for the most part.

At both conventions, the concerts are super loud. Bandland is generally loud because it's a stage with music and instruments. There are quiet places through, such as Handheld Lounge and even Console Freeplay with the occasional "Yeah!" that rings out from time to time. The PC Room can be loud at time, depending on what's going on.

So for Australia, it's largely dependent on the venue itself. How large the rooms/halls are, what kind of material the floor and walls are. Carpeted areas are generally quiet for obvious reasons. But I can bet that the concerts and expo area will be loud.

My suggestion: For Sensitive Ears, I would carry around some soft ear plugs that can be put in and taken out fairly easily. For everyone, I recommend ear plugs during the concerts.

Vapok
  • Options
    Going of my (somewhat hazy) memory, All the band areas in Melbourne Showgrounds were outside, so that might lessen noise some! Good to hear the actual booths and things aren't too loud! I'll just make sure to bring my heavy duty earplugs, that should be enough :)

• Options
    I think Vapok is mistaking Bandland for Jamspace. Bandland is the area where VIP guests (some of them the musical guests) get their own booth for signings or merch or whatever. That area is usually pretty quiet. Jamspace is a stage with music and instruments where musicians can come and jam.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think Vapok is mistaking Bandland for Jamspace. Bandland is the area where VIP guests (some of them the musical guests) get their own booth for signings or merch or whatever. That area is usually pretty quiet. Jamspace is a stage with music and instruments where musicians can come and jam.

Gah! I totally am! Oppsie! Thanks Zerzhul!

Vapok
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, if Bandland is that quiet, that sounds perfect! I'll just venture away from Jamspace, then! Thank you both!

• Options
    fieldafarfieldafar Registered User regular
    Bogmire wrote: »

If Supanova at the Showgrounds is any indication, it can get loud. I do recommend earplugs, just in case.

PAX AUS 2013!
  • Options
    CutbillioCutbillio Registered User new member
    I have gone around looking for how much money you should take to pax?

Well it looks like around $80-$100 should be fine. This should get you food, and some merch.

Post what you think.

• Options
    zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    That a pretty tight budget - budgeting $10 a meal for 9 meals takes $90, and Melbourne can be pretty expensive for food, so $10/meal is pretty conservative. Of course, this assumes you are going for the full 3 days, $80-$100 is fine for a 1 day excursion... unless you spend money at these things like I do :)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Honestly, I think if you're merch includes a sticker, you should be okay, provided that your food consists of a bottle of water and something under $6 to eat.

Honestly I don't think that's enough or even close to be realistic, or potentially healthy in regards to your food choices. Convention food is NOT cheap. You'll generally be paying at least $10 for a small meal without drinks and drinks cost around $4.50 each.

Merchandise, I'd probably budget $150 , and $15 a meal (and generally I'd say buy snacks and what not at a supermarket pre con to save money)

Just remember, it's better to go home with money, rather than run out when you're still wanting things.

Danacyrus on
  • Options
    GermanCityGirlGermanCityGirl Twitter Administrator SeattleRegistered User regular
    Each PAX will have an exclusive merch item, only available at the con proper. For example at East, it's the soccer scarves and each year has offered a different variant on the colour scheme. I don't know what they'll have at the inaugural PAX in Australia but definitely snag it as early as you can, don't wait until Sunday when they might be completely sold out of that item.

As far as food goes, bring snacks + a refillable water bottle. Things like granola bars, dried fruit, and jerky will stem the hunger tide until you can leave the venue for a proper meal. You might have back-to-back panels that you won't want to miss so why suffer through overpriced food sold on premises, you know?

Next PAX: PAX East 2013
    Previous PAX: PAX Prime 2012

"Money can't buy you love, but it can get you some really good chocolate ginger biscuits."
  • Options
    ribbitribbit Registered User new member
    ... tram or train ticket (available on trams or at select stops and all train stations)
    fyi the met cards (old ticket system) are being phased out at the end of the year:
    myki.com.au/Latest-News/Melbournes-public-transport-readies-for-the-end-of-Metcard
    so the only option available will be a myki card (new ticket system):
    myki.com.au/how-to-buy
    which nearly always works...

Small typo: Craigburn line == Craigieburn line

• Options
    KnightCarverKnightCarver Bioshock Fanatic RaptureRegistered User regular
    Pffft...forget spending money on food...it's all about the merchandise!! ;)

Angels don't wait for slowpokes, Mr. B!
  • Options
    hcwoolhcwool Registered User new member
    JUST GOT TICKETS WOOOOO

So I was wondering for the PC area does PAX supply the computers or do we have to bring our own... Same for the console area. I'm completely fine to bring my soon to be beautiful laptop ;)

• Options
    For the PC area, PAX supplies (usually through a sponsor, like nvidia or intel) a ton of freeplay machines. You can buy a BYOC pass to be able to bring your own PC and have a spot for it.

For consoles, PAX supplies consoles and games to be checked out for freeplay. You cannot bring your own consoles to PAX proper.

• Options
    hcwoolhcwool Registered User new member
    AWESOME!!! Will it be hard to get a spot to play on them???

• Options
    Not hard at all. There's a time limit for playing, so you just wait for an open spot. Once your time is up, you can go back and wait again.

• Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    how far in advance will the passes be sent out to attendees?

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    how far in advance will the passes be sent out to attendees?

Not sure if there will be any difference with it being in Australia, but in the US States, the passes are generally sent a couple weeks prior to the start of PAX.

Vapok
  • Options
    when you buy the tickets, and read the small print, they will be sent to us early june...(aussies) outsiders will be picking theirs up at the door... last I saw anyways.

• Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Sheesh, how dare you assume people to read the tinny print on the 37th page.. How dare you....

• Options
    DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Was that the bit just before the bit about signing over my soul to the PAX organising committee for all eternity? 'Cause I totally didn't read that bit, nuh uh... ;-)

DragonBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    DragonBear wrote: »
    Was that the bit just before the bit about signing over my soul to the PAX orgaising committee for all eternity? 'Cause I totally didn't read that bit, nuh uh... ;-)

Negative, that was what you "checkboxed" when you joined the PA Forums. >:-] Your soul is ours forever! Ha ha ha ha haaaaa....

No souls were harmed in the writing of this reply.

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    Pfffft, Vapok, I think if that's the case their soul would be Tube's.

• Options
    KiokoKioko Registered User new member
    edited November 2012
    Hey guys,

About a month ago, before three day passes sold out, I handed my dad $115 to buy a pass on his card.
    Very recently, he saw the payment come up and forgot it, deciding to cancel it and refund his $115.
    Is there any way I can reverse the refund and get my ticket back?

Thanks.

Edit: I would also like to add that I have contacted Pax ticketing service, and I'm waiting for a response, I'm just trying to see if there are any other options available to me.

Kioko on
  • Options
    The only other thing if the Ticketing people can't help would be to buy 3 1 day passes and maybe get your dad to pay the difference if it's not something you can afford to do, it's about $20 difference I think?

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Kioko wrote: »
    Hey guys,

About a month ago, before three day passes sold out, I handed my dad $115 to buy a pass on his card.
    Very recently, he saw the payment come up and forgot it, deciding to cancel it and refund his $115.
    Is there any way I can reverse the refund and get my ticket back?

Thanks.

Edit: I would also like to add that I have contacted Pax ticketing service, and I'm waiting for a response, I'm just trying to see if there are any other options available to me.

Your only other recourse is to contact the card company directly. There's nothing we'll be able to do for you here.

As Danacyrus said, you can always buy 3 1-day passes.

zerzhul on